Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seven of starting line up 16:57 - Dec 30 with 5835 viewsHARRY10

...yesterday are out of contract in June

Gerken, Spence, Chambers (c), Pennington, Kenlock, Chalobah and Sears

with two on the bench Bishop and Knudsen also out of contract in June.

We lose Ward and Adeyemi and any loanees

So do we cash in where possible ?

However at least if we do go down then we will not have too many 'heavy' contracts to fund.
Seven of starting line up on 16:59 - Dec 30 with 4183 viewsHerbivore

Sears isn't out of contract in the summer.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Seven of starting line up on 17:02 - Dec 30 with 4158 viewsPJH

Seven of starting line up on 16:59 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

and not too sure that Everton and Chelsea would like us selling Pennington and Chalobah.
Seven of starting line up on 17:04 - Dec 30 with 4150 viewsHARRY10

Seven of starting line up on 16:59 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

Technically he is, though we have an option on another year.
Seven of starting line up on 17:05 - Dec 30 with 4144 viewsPJH

Seven of starting line up on 17:04 - Dec 30 by HARRY10

Technically he is, though we have an option on another year.

Which we have already taken up.
Seven of starting line up on 17:05 - Dec 30 with 4145 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I thought we had already "lost" Ward and Adeyemi.

Do Gerken, Spence, Chambers, Kenlock and Bishop have options to extend their contracts (as most players seem to now)? And even if they do, would we wish to if we are in the division below? Lambert will have some options.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Seven of starting line up on 17:07 - Dec 30 with 4133 viewsHARRY10

Seven of starting line up on 17:02 - Dec 30 by PJH

and not too sure that Everton and Chelsea would like us selling Pennington and Chalobah.

I don't think I suggested that, having thought that most on here would be aware of which players were 'ours' and which were loanees.
Seven of starting line up on 17:08 - Dec 30 with 4125 viewsNo9

Cash in?
Seven of starting line up on 17:08 - Dec 30 with 4120 viewsHerbivore

Seven of starting line up on 17:05 - Dec 30 by PJH

Which we have already taken up.

This.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Seven of starting line up on 17:12 - Dec 30 with 4107 viewsHARRY10

Seven of starting line up on 17:08 - Dec 30 by No9

Cash in?

yes, I'm sure the football world is beating a path to our door to buy Knudsen, Chambers etc
Seven of starting line up on 17:14 - Dec 30 with 4098 viewsHARRY10

Seven of starting line up on 17:05 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Do Gerken, Spence, Chambers, Kenlock and Bishop have options to extend their contracts (as most players seem to now)? And even if they do, would we wish to if we are in the division below? Lambert will have some options.

We have options on Spence, Chambers, Ward and Kenlock, though that would mean Championship pay on LI income
Seven of starting line up on 17:18 - Dec 30 with 4075 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Seven of starting line up on 17:14 - Dec 30 by HARRY10

We have options on Spence, Chambers, Ward and Kenlock, though that would mean Championship pay on LI income

Would it? Depends what is written into the original contract options surely? I would be surprised if a club that has been year-on-year relegation favourites has not written in divisional conditions into the contracts. Of course, the option side of it also means we could choose not to take them up if they are not value for money.

Seven of starting line up on 17:20 - Dec 30 with 4064 viewsBinner

But we will be funding Nsiala, Jackson, Roberts, Edwards, Nolan, Harrison and Donacien. Have I forgotten any? They are contracted to us for the next two-and-a-half years. None of them are Championship standard. None of them will get better deals elsewhere so we are stuck with paying their salaries for the duration of their contracts.

Whether or not we miraculously escape the drop this season we will be obliged to continue paying these players. Perhaps some of them will be decent L1 players; in all likelihood we'll find out in the autumn.

This is the real PH legacy, reaching into the future and hamstringing PL or whoever else is in charge of our team.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Seven of starting line up on 17:22 - Dec 30 with 4050 viewsgt81

Of that lot I'd only keep Kenlock and Bishop. Sears is already signed up.
Seven of starting line up on 17:23 - Dec 30 with 4039 viewsfactual_blue

We're not in a position to cash in though. We won't be offering contracts at this stage until we're clear which division we'll be in. Even if we were offering contracts, the players' agents would advise them not to sign until there was clarity about the future.

And what's the value of an almost-out-of-contract player at a club staring relegation in the face? Next to nothing.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Seven of starting line up on 17:27 - Dec 30 with 4000 viewsgt81

Seven of starting line up on 17:20 - Dec 30 by Binner

But we will be funding Nsiala, Jackson, Roberts, Edwards, Nolan, Harrison and Donacien. Have I forgotten any? They are contracted to us for the next two-and-a-half years. None of them are Championship standard. None of them will get better deals elsewhere so we are stuck with paying their salaries for the duration of their contracts.

Whether or not we miraculously escape the drop this season we will be obliged to continue paying these players. Perhaps some of them will be decent L1 players; in all likelihood we'll find out in the autumn.

This is the real PH legacy, reaching into the future and hamstringing PL or whoever else is in charge of our team.

Bizarrely, looking at those list of names we already have the foundations of a decent League One side.

Perhaps a step down will give them a better chance of gelling and coming back stronger, and more cohesive.
Seven of starting line up on 17:30 - Dec 30 with 3984 viewsBinner

Seven of starting line up on 17:27 - Dec 30 by gt81

Bizarrely, looking at those list of names we already have the foundations of a decent League One side.

Perhaps a step down will give them a better chance of gelling and coming back stronger, and more cohesive.

I think that is wishful thinking. They are no better than average L1 players.

Seven of starting line up on 17:33 - Dec 30 with 3967 viewsfooters

Seven of starting line up on 17:30 - Dec 30 by Binner

Yes, think PH's arrogance regarding the strength of the Championship could be a failing of ours should we drop into League One. Many of our 'first-team' wouldn't walk into a top L1 side.

And that's how bad we are.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Seven of starting line up on 17:34 - Dec 30 with 3962 viewsRadlett_blue

Seven of starting line up on 17:05 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Most of these options are the club's so Town can trigger the 1 year extension at any time. Basically, it protects the club's position & we can wait until the end of the season, when we know which division we will be in, to decide if we wish to keep any of these players.
It's almost unheard of for a player to have a free option to extend his contract, although unfortunately Town were foolish enough to give Jonathan Douglas enough starts to trigger a 1 year extension (thanks Mick).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Seven of starting line up on 17:36 - Dec 30 with 3947 viewsgt81

Seven of starting line up on 17:30 - Dec 30 by Binner

Roberts and Donacien perhaps, but the others did well for their respective teams that were well placed in the league table. Add to that the youngsters we've loaned out and I'm sure they would be competitive.

Then add a few new faces to that and we should be ok.
Seven of starting line up on 17:40 - Dec 30 with 3925 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Seven of starting line up on 17:34 - Dec 30 by Radlett_blue

Most of these options are the club's so Town can trigger the 1 year extension at any time. Basically, it protects the club's position & we can wait until the end of the season, when we know which division we will be in, to decide if we wish to keep any of these players.
It's almost unheard of for a player to have a free option to extend his contract, although unfortunately Town were foolish enough to give Jonathan Douglas enough starts to trigger a 1 year extension (thanks Mick).

Yes, but the option will be on the same terms as the original contract so, assuming that has wages that are dependent on which division we are in, so would the extension.

Seven of starting line up on 17:41 - Dec 30 with 3915 viewsBinner

Seven of starting line up on 17:36 - Dec 30 by gt81

Roberts and Donacien perhaps, but the others did well for their respective teams that were well placed in the league table. Add to that the youngsters we've loaned out and I'm sure they would be competitive.

Donacien was in L2, hasn't played in L1.
Jackson a moderate L2 player.
Roberts released by Crawley (L2).

Seven of starting line up on 17:47 - Dec 30 with 3891 viewsHARRY10

Seven of starting line up on 17:23 - Dec 30 by factual_blue

We're not in a position to cash in though. We won't be offering contracts at this stage until we're clear which division we'll be in. Even if we were offering contracts, the players' agents would advise them not to sign until there was clarity about the future.

And what's the value of an almost-out-of-contract player at a club staring relegation in the face? Next to nothing.

That was why the comment about 'cashing in' was rather tongue in cheek as we have so many folk on here talking about the players who will be coming in on loan.

How are their loans to be funded ?

It is no coincidence that we signed so many lower league hopefuls this summer. Despite the silly talk about multi million pound transfer fees they were in reality cheap options.

So if the money was not there in the summer I fail to see how it will be here this transfer window.
Seven of starting line up on 17:49 - Dec 30 with 3880 viewsHARRY10

Seven of starting line up on 17:40 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes, but the option will be on the same terms as the original contract so, assuming that has wages that are dependent on which division we are in, so would the extension.

My understanding is that any reduction in wages is around the 20% mark, at best.
Seven of starting line up on 17:49 - Dec 30 with 3881 viewsgordon

Seven of starting line up on 17:36 - Dec 30 by gt81

Jackson, Roberts and Donacien have only played in League 2.

Nolan and Nsiala had each managed 1 decent season at League One standard by the age of 26/27, in an overperforming, hardworking team that caught out some of the bigger teams. But they really aren't established, quality players at League One level or any other level.

Gwion Edwards would be dangerous in League 1 if he kept fit and played to a consistent standard.

What we end up doing with Nsiala, Nolan, Jackson, Donacien and Roberts now is anyone's guess, really.
Seven of starting line up on 17:51 - Dec 30 with 3867 viewsBinner

Seven of starting line up on 17:49 - Dec 30 by gordon

Jackson, Roberts and Donacien have only played in League 2.

Nolan and Nsiala had each managed 1 decent season at League One standard by the age of 26/27, in an overperforming, hardworking team that caught out some of the bigger teams. But they really aren't established, quality players at League One level or any other level.

Gwion Edwards would be dangerous in League 1 if he kept fit and played to a consistent standard.

What we end up doing with Nsiala, Nolan, Jackson, Donacien and Roberts now is anyone's guess, really.

My guess is that we carry on paying their salaries until their contracts expire.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024