Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice 10:49 - Dec 31 with 7848 viewsBrixtonBlue

Where to go for my first alcoholic drink in a year. It needs to be fairly epic (but not quite as epic as say Australia) because I need a good ending for the book (might have mentioned I'm writing a book about it).

Anyway, myself and my work wife are planning a road trip for that first drink/ending of the book. We've narrowed it down to;

Oban in Scotland - remote distillery on an island, for a fine whisky.
Bushmills in NI - whiskey at the oldest distillery in the world.
Wine in Paris.
Beer in Amsterdam.

The first two fit the epicness best... but I'm more of a beer man than a whisk(e)y drinker.

What do you reckon out of these? Or is there something else you'd throw into the ring?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:22 - Dec 31 with 2747 viewsclive_baker

What's the book about, other than you not drinking for a year? As in, what do you envisage will be in it? Legit question by the way, I know some on here are quick to jump down people's throats when they discuss things like this but good luck to you I say. And I don't think you need apologise for sharing on here, it's things like this that make the board more interesting IMO rather than just discussing Jordan Spence all day.

There doesn't strike me as anything particularly novel about giving up drinking though, so will the book have other focusses?

As for your end of year blow out...I would scratch off Bushmills, especially if you're more of a beer man as aside from the distillery there's less to do drinking wise, although you've got lovely scenery / Giants Causeway close by, but that's not really the point.

Is there anywhere personal to you? Village local etc? That could be a nice, unique option. Alternatively, if you're adamant on something more epic, how about Berlin? They love their beer out there and they definitely know how to do NYE.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:25 - Dec 31 with 2726 viewsStokieBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:21 - Dec 31 by footers

That's the point really, isn't it- you don't need to drink. Familiarity often breeds contempt and people don't necessarily enjoy drinking if they do it all the time. Moderation makes it all that more special.

You'd soon get sick of fillet steak if you ate it every day. (Amateur steak choice tho, tbh.)

Bavette steak is the top choice, very cheap and full of flavour.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:30 - Dec 31 with 2711 viewsfooters

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:25 - Dec 31 by StokieBlue

Bavette steak is the top choice, very cheap and full of flavour.

SB

And this is why you were my unironic chef of the year. Brilliant Brazilian butchers near me does some wild (HUGE) cuts, no fillet b0llocks to be seen. Not sure where the meat comes from, but sometimes best not to ask questions.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:34 - Dec 31 with 2691 viewsStokieBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:30 - Dec 31 by footers

And this is why you were my unironic chef of the year. Brilliant Brazilian butchers near me does some wild (HUGE) cuts, no fillet b0llocks to be seen. Not sure where the meat comes from, but sometimes best not to ask questions.

I think that would be the picanha which is very popular in Brazil. In the US they cut it up into smaller cuts which would include rump steaks.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

on 11:35 - Dec 31 with 2688 views_

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:11 - Dec 31 by BrixtonBlue

It's a really good point Libbers. Would make the ending of the book quite poignant... but also, perhaps, dull. Might be good if I did the epic thing, then 'realised' what you've said when I'm there. Best of both worlds!

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:37 - Dec 31 with 2683 viewsfactual_blue

Bury St Edmunds - The Nutshell as the smallest pub in the world, the Rose & Crown for the finest pint of Greene King mild (their best and most under-rated beer) you'll ever taste.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:39 - Dec 31 with 2665 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:52 - Dec 31 by StokieBlue

If you are going beer it should probably be Bruges rather than Amsterdam.

Falklands brewery?
https://falklandbeerworks.com/

UK's most remote pub?
https://www.travelandleisure.com/food-drink/bars-clubs/the-old-forge-most-remote

You've not said how much you want to spend but you must have loads saved from not drinking all year?

SB
[Post edited 31 Dec 2018 10:53]

Had a look at the remote pub... would've been great at the end of an 18 mile hike... but it's not open end of Feb when we'd be going!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:41 - Dec 31 with 2656 viewshoppy

Legends... after seeing a fine 3 points won, celebrate with a pint of Rocking Rudolph...

You said you wanted something unusual!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:42 - Dec 31 with 2651 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:21 - Dec 31 by footers

That's the point really, isn't it- you don't need to drink. Familiarity often breeds contempt and people don't necessarily enjoy drinking if they do it all the time. Moderation makes it all that more special.

You'd soon get sick of fillet steak if you ate it every day. (Amateur steak choice tho, tbh.)

That's partly why the first drink for a year would need to be special, I think.

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:51 - Dec 31 with 2634 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:41 - Dec 31 by hoppy

Legends... after seeing a fine 3 points won, celebrate with a pint of Rocking Rudolph...

You said you wanted something unusual!

The nearest game after the 1 year (21st Feb) is Wigan away (23rd Feb). That will probably be a must-win in terms of away games!

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:54 - Dec 31 with 2618 viewshoppy

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:51 - Dec 31 by BrixtonBlue

The nearest game after the 1 year (21st Feb) is Wigan away (23rd Feb). That will probably be a must-win in terms of away games!

Ah, well hopefully we’ll have won a few before then anyway, otherwise it will be a non-game. Not so much of a carrot to dangle to the work wife tho... “how about a road-trip to Wigan?”

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:00 - Dec 31 with 2609 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:22 - Dec 31 by clive_baker

What's the book about, other than you not drinking for a year? As in, what do you envisage will be in it? Legit question by the way, I know some on here are quick to jump down people's throats when they discuss things like this but good luck to you I say. And I don't think you need apologise for sharing on here, it's things like this that make the board more interesting IMO rather than just discussing Jordan Spence all day.

There doesn't strike me as anything particularly novel about giving up drinking though, so will the book have other focusses?

As for your end of year blow out...I would scratch off Bushmills, especially if you're more of a beer man as aside from the distillery there's less to do drinking wise, although you've got lovely scenery / Giants Causeway close by, but that's not really the point.

Is there anywhere personal to you? Village local etc? That could be a nice, unique option. Alternatively, if you're adamant on something more epic, how about Berlin? They love their beer out there and they definitely know how to do NYE.

The book is kind of a diary of that year... which I'm writing as I go, getting down everything I observe (which isn't necessarily booze-based). Just a study of how things are affected without alcohol in the picture - parties, getting made redundant, performing comedy poetry, first dates, supporting Ipswich!... and looking at the physical, mental, financial etc. aspects.

I'm doing it in a light-hearted way rather than self-help... kind of like Yes Man by Danny Wallace (where he says yes to everything for a year).

Anything personal to me wouldn't be unique/epic. It would be my local in Brixton or one of our regular haunts in Ipswich. Berlin's a reasonable shout.

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:04 - Dec 31 with 2594 viewsJamestownPrince

Can i throw Prague in?
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:07 - Dec 31 with 2588 viewsPendejo

Oban or Bushmills

What's wrong with The Beehive?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:19 - Dec 31 with 2568 viewsBluebell

What is a 'work wife'?
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:21 - Dec 31 with 2562 viewsKeno

Adnams Southwold

sorted

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:53 - Dec 31 with 2536 viewsjeera

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:56 - Dec 31 by footers

I'd buy a big bottle of something and drink it next to the water somewhere. Tie a long piece of string to the bottle and throw it in to keep it cool. Drink straight from the bottle, no glasses.

No people to deal with, a lovely view and enough plonk to send you sideways- sounds ideal to me!

P.S. You should have put some money aside from what you've been saving to buy some kinda mega bottle, like a Chambertin or summat.

There's needs to be some seating arrangement, so a bench is in order.

No one wants to be seen drinking straight from the bottle in a public space, and in many places there are local laws governing this so some kind of cover is in order. Probably a bag

Plastic is out of favour and nobody wants to be polluting a river-way, and being arrested for littering wouldn't be a great way to end on things, so the bag really needs to be made from paper.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:54 - Dec 31 with 2538 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:19 - Dec 31 by Bluebell

What is a 'work wife'?

Someone you spend a lot of time with who isn't your wife! Advertising Creatives generally work in a team of two - a copywriter and an art director - including being hired and fired together.

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:55 - Dec 31 with 2527 viewsjeera

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:54 - Dec 31 by BrixtonBlue

Someone you spend a lot of time with who isn't your wife! Advertising Creatives generally work in a team of two - a copywriter and an art director - including being hired and fired together.

She's your Terry.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:55 - Dec 31 with 2527 viewschicoazul

Here.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:57 - Dec 31 with 2521 viewsPJH

Oban is not on an island.

A few islands just off there though.
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 13:02 - Dec 31 with 2511 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:57 - Dec 31 by PJH

Yeah I got mixed up. We were originally looking at a place on an island but it cost £200 to fly out there from the mainland.

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 13:55 - Dec 31 with 2472 viewshoppy

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:57 - Dec 31 by PJH

And what would you know? Anyone would think you’re always heading up to Scotland or something...

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 14:03 - Dec 31 with 2463 viewsfooters

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 12:55 - Dec 31 by chicoazul

Here.

Disappointed that Bella Italia didn't get a run-out, chico.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 15:58 - Dec 31 with 2421 viewslowhouseblue

so after a long time not drinking what has ended up as your non-alcohol drink of choice when others are drinking?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024