Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert 17:04 - Jan 1 with 15697 viewsnshearman1

Are we allowed to start criticising Lambert yet? He's said and done a lot of good things, but he's stuck with this defence pretty much throughout until he realised Knudsen was off, not tried any real alternatives or alternative formations, stuck with Gerken, and fiddled about with other positions to no avail. Today he draws attention to himself ranting on the touchline, looks like he panicked in taking off Chalobah, and fails to hold what we had or even build on it. Yes, the squad generally is poor, but this is actually no better than Hurst, there has been no significant improvement under PL after something like 11 games.
(No subject) (n/t) on 20:22 - Jan 1 with 2051 viewsLankHenners

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:18 - Jan 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, but it’s not unreasonable to think we may have seen some improvement, surely? After all - the narrative at the time of the change was that we needed to make it then given the run of fixtures coming up

No it’s not but is there anyone arguing against that?

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Lambert on 20:22 - Jan 1 with 2048 viewsPJH

Lambert on 20:13 - Jan 1 by Radlett_blue

Let's just keep it simple. Town are as near incapable of winning a football game under Lambert as we were under Hurst. While more of that is down to Hurst's complete inability to sign players who were up to this level 7 the football has been more attractive, it's also a sign that Lambert has none of the Mick-like ability to get teams to grind out results.
Lambert may still be the right manager to develop a young team into one which can get us back into the 2nd tier & play with confidence.

Agree that Paul Lambert keeps on about his way of playing but it has seemed to me that from the moment that Hurst went what we needed (and still need) was points-they have the same value however they are acquired.
I am biased because I was and am so pro MM but if you can be relatively certain of anything in football I think you could safely be certain that we would have a hell of a lot points than we have got now had MM still been here.

It seems to me that until league placings are decided by something other than points then why does it matter how you get them?
(No subject) (n/t) on 20:27 - Jan 1 with 2037 viewsTrequartista

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:12 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

You're usually a very sensible poster, you need to let go of the gloss of the freak win at Swansea. We were utterly, utterly abject towards the end of Hurst's rein.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2019 20:13]

We are utterly, utterly abject now! You can't dismiss Swansea was a freak result without the balance of noting that Wigan at home, a far easier fixture, was scambled with one shot on target.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Lambert on 20:28 - Jan 1 with 2031 viewslordsambuca

Lambert on 20:10 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

That Swansea game, which let's be real was an anomaly, masks what was a very obvious decline. His last 4 home games in charge included 7 of the worst 8 halves of football from Town that I've seen at PR since the dark days at the end of Jewell's rein. Performances were declining, we looked terrible. For all that results have remained dire we have at least looked closer to being a semi capable side. For much of Hurst's time we were irredeemably abject. Lambert inherited the worst Town side I've ever seen and he's made them slightly better even if the points per game stat doesn't back that up, which it won't because it's devoid of context or nuance.

IMO you nailed it.

The last few performances under Hurst were the worst I've seen since I started watching town in 1976. There did not seem to be any kind of gameplan or style being implemented it was hard to see where the next goal was going to come from.

I am beginning to think that Lambert's insistence on a passing brand of football and playing out from the back is about implementing a style that can be carried through into league 1 (he may have accepted that relegation was likely when he accepted the job?) and if I recall correctly he is implementing this at all levels of the club, which in theory makes it easier for youngsters to move into the first team

Lets hope it works and that he stays. It is certainly better to watch than what we have seen over the last few years, which is probably why the crowd are staying with him at the moment. However some of his remarks in the last press conference were slightly concerning as there were undertones of criticism/frustration with the approach to transfers and contracts.
Lambert on 20:34 - Jan 1 with 2003 viewsHerbivore

Lambert on 20:20 - Jan 1 by pointofblue

To me Hurst's reign and Lambert's have similarities - a reasonable start with a promising draw which left questions to ask, an unlucky away result where we probably deserved better and then it starts to fall away; under Lambert more dramatically than it did with Hurst considering we followed Blackburn and Rotherham up with a draw at Villa and, after Derby, an unfdortunate defeat at Wednesday thanks to a red card.

Indeed, if Hurst hadn't pushed the panic button against Norwich and abandoned what seemed to be a clear plan up to that point, which wasn't quite working out, he may still be here now. The Hull result seemed to snowball matters with only first half performances against Brentford and Birmingham as bright spots.

Are there similarities? Today we put in possibly our best first half performance of the season whereas under Hurst performances got worse and worse. The defensive ricks are costing us dearly though and that is the main thing I think Lambert can be criticised for, he's failed to make us remotely competent at the back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:36 - Jan 1 with 1997 viewsHerbivore

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:27 - Jan 1 by Trequartista

We are utterly, utterly abject now! You can't dismiss Swansea was a freak result without the balance of noting that Wigan at home, a far easier fixture, was scambled with one shot on target.

Our performances under Lambert have not been anything like as abject as those under Hurst. Were you at any of our home games from September to the end of his rein? It was painful and utterly clueless stuff.

Lambert on 20:39 - Jan 1 with 1984 viewshype313

Ffs we're not even giving a manager a window yet?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Lambert on 20:39 - Jan 1 with 1984 viewsblaggers

It really doesn't matter. You could have Guardiola manage this team and we'd still get relegated.

Poll: What happens next?

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:39 - Jan 1 with 1984 viewsTrequartista

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:36 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

Our performances under Lambert have not been anything like as abject as those under Hurst. Were you at any of our home games from September to the end of his rein? It was painful and utterly clueless stuff.

They have, as the results have borne out. Looking more likely to score, looking more likely to concede.

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:42 - Jan 1 with 1973 viewsHerbivore

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:39 - Jan 1 by Trequartista

They have, as the results have borne out. Looking more likely to score, looking more likely to concede.

I can only assume you've not actually watched us play this season.

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:42 - Jan 1 with 1967 viewsTrequartista

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:42 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

I can only assume you've not actually watched us play this season.

You just have a different opinion, that is allowed.

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:45 - Jan 1 with 1961 viewsLankHenners

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:42 - Jan 1 by Trequartista

You just happen to have an opinion that is objectively wrong.

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:48 - Jan 1 with 1948 viewsHerbivore

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:42 - Jan 1 by Trequartista

I'll take that as a yes.

Lambert on 20:56 - Jan 1 with 1922 viewsPJH

Lambert on 20:20 - Jan 1 by pointofblue

To me Hurst's reign and Lambert's have similarities - a reasonable start with a promising draw which left questions to ask, an unlucky away result where we probably deserved better and then it starts to fall away; under Lambert more dramatically than it did with Hurst considering we followed Blackburn and Rotherham up with a draw at Villa and, after Derby, an unfdortunate defeat at Wednesday thanks to a red card.

Indeed, if Hurst hadn't pushed the panic button against Norwich and abandoned what seemed to be a clear plan up to that point, which wasn't quite working out, he may still be here now. The Hull result seemed to snowball matters with only first half performances against Brentford and Birmingham as bright spots.

I don't think the first half against Brentford was a bright spot because if we had been 4-0 behind at half time it would have been about right, second half maybe.
Lambert on 20:57 - Jan 1 with 1916 viewsHorseboy

Lambert on 19:03 - Jan 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

What’s so funny about that? Hurst was averaging more points per game having had a harder set of fixtures, so reasonable to believe we may have gained more points had he stayed

Clearly he had to go and the damage done to the squad is all on him, but the idea that Lambert couldn’t possibly have done better so far is ridiculous. Results under him have been dire so far - even more so than under Hurst

This

Lambert has the smallest piece of the blame pie, but I would of expected better let's be honest.
(No subject) (n/t) on 21:07 - Jan 1 with 1895 viewsTrequartista

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:45 - Jan 1 by LankHenners

You just happen to have an opinion that is objectively wrong.

Here all day if you want to prove it with facts.

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:16 - Jan 1 with 1883 viewsHerbivore

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:07 - Jan 1 by Trequartista

I find you an odd one. You were rabidly anti-Mick because you didn't like his style of play, you backed Hurst who managed to get us playing worse football than Mick, and now we have Lambert who is getting us playing passing football which is what you'd been asking for and now you seem quite anti-Lambert and are defending Hurst in comparison. It's quite odd. You're either an outright contrarian, haven't actually seen us play in years, or both.

Lambert on 21:20 - Jan 1 with 1880 viewspointofblue

Lambert on 20:56 - Jan 1 by PJH

I don't think the first half against Brentford was a bright spot because if we had been 4-0 behind at half time it would have been about right, second half maybe.

Yes, meant second half.

That's my second stupid mistake tonight posting on here - I should become a Town defender.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:04 - Jan 1 with 1838 viewsTrequartista

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:48 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

I'll take that as a yes.

That is incorrect, objectively.

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:15 - Jan 1 with 1829 viewsTrequartista

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:16 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

I find you an odd one. You were rabidly anti-Mick because you didn't like his style of play, you backed Hurst who managed to get us playing worse football than Mick, and now we have Lambert who is getting us playing passing football which is what you'd been asking for and now you seem quite anti-Lambert and are defending Hurst in comparison. It's quite odd. You're either an outright contrarian, haven't actually seen us play in years, or both.

The problem is that each manager is being proclaimed as a miracle-worker or a club-destroyer and nothing in between. So it may seem contrary but really i'm just reacting to what I read. Some have done better than others but none of them are really poles apart.

For example if you read closely, you will note that i have said on more than one occasion that Hurst made a mess and is mostly to blame. However he is made out to be the devil and 100% to blame, so i end up defending him against that. (It was the same with Jewell)

And then with Lambert, read closely and I have noted on more than one occasion that we will need to wait until he has had a chance to get some of his own players before we can properly assess. But to some he is 0% to blame and has a free pass, doing a good job by default, so i end up pointing out some criticisms I have.

So it's not so odd if you read closely
[Post edited 1 Jan 2019 22:16]

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:18 - Jan 1 with 1817 viewsHerbivore

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:15 - Jan 1 by Trequartista

The problem is that each manager is being proclaimed as a miracle-worker or a club-destroyer and nothing in between. So it may seem contrary but really i'm just reacting to what I read. Some have done better than others but none of them are really poles apart.

For example if you read closely, you will note that i have said on more than one occasion that Hurst made a mess and is mostly to blame. However he is made out to be the devil and 100% to blame, so i end up defending him against that. (It was the same with Jewell)

And then with Lambert, read closely and I have noted on more than one occasion that we will need to wait until he has had a chance to get some of his own players before we can properly assess. But to some he is 0% to blame and has a free pass, doing a good job by default, so i end up pointing out some criticisms I have.

So it's not so odd if you read closely
[Post edited 1 Jan 2019 22:16]

You might have a point if anyone had actually claimed Lambert is a miracle worker.

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:18 - Jan 1 with 1814 viewsLankHenners

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:07 - Jan 1 by Trequartista

If you just watch the games it's clear we're playing better generally, even if the results are still poor.

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:20 - Jan 1 with 1806 viewsHerbivore

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:18 - Jan 1 by LankHenners

If you just watch the games it's clear we're playing better generally, even if the results are still poor.

It's quite telling that some of those who were most vocal about performances being more important than results when criticising Mick a year ago are now making the opposite argument.

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:24 - Jan 1 with 1784 viewsTrequartista

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:18 - Jan 1 by LankHenners

if i watch the games it is clear to me that offensively we are playing better and defensively we are worse. You are free to have a different opinion, i will not try to tell you that if you just watch the games I am factually correct.

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:25 - Jan 1 with 1782 viewsLankHenners

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:20 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

It's quite telling that some of those who were most vocal about performances being more important than results when criticising Mick a year ago are now making the opposite argument.

It's either that or they're sticking to their guns with such vigour that they're saying that losing pretty much every week and being relegation certainties is a good thing because 'at least the kids are playing' and 'the football's better to watch'. Oddballs either way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024