Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down 17:48 - Jan 1 with 1124 viewshomer_123

A sudden gap between the the midfield and our forward, a lone forward by this point as well, and a complete inability to keep possession again meant we were put under pressure. Low and behold mistakes happen and we capitulate.

After such a bright first half, to watch the second was simply painful.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 17:52 - Jan 1 with 1089 viewspointofblue

We were managing it well enough in the second half, I thought, until the penalty. I can't remember Gerken having a save to make in the second half (I think the cross tipped over the bar was at 1-1?) prior to that soft decision. We clearly had a gameplan to hit on the break and it was working reasonably well.

The errors made from Spence in giving the corner away and Pennington underhitting that back pass had nothing to do with excessive pressure on the backline for me.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 17:56 - Jan 1 with 1072 viewshomer_123

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 17:52 - Jan 1 by pointofblue

We were managing it well enough in the second half, I thought, until the penalty. I can't remember Gerken having a save to make in the second half (I think the cross tipped over the bar was at 1-1?) prior to that soft decision. We clearly had a gameplan to hit on the break and it was working reasonably well.

The errors made from Spence in giving the corner away and Pennington underhitting that back pass had nothing to do with excessive pressure on the backline for me.

Signs were there towards the end of the first half though. Second half, we sat deep, gap between Harrison and the midfield got bigger and bigger. We put ourselves under more and more pressure.

Then mistakes happen, Chambo, Spence ( who had a good game up until then) and Pennington all made bad choices, as the pressure was too constant.

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 18:02 - Jan 1 with 1045 viewspointofblue

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 17:56 - Jan 1 by homer_123

Signs were there towards the end of the first half though. Second half, we sat deep, gap between Harrison and the midfield got bigger and bigger. We put ourselves under more and more pressure.

Then mistakes happen, Chambo, Spence ( who had a good game up until then) and Pennington all made bad choices, as the pressure was too constant.

Yes, admittedly I did say at half time to the people I sit with that we were showing signs of going back to our old style. The difference was in the second half until the penalty we seemed to have a plan to counter this, which was working reasonably well.

I would say possibly there should have been more calls from the Sir Alf Ramsey Stand for Spence to clear but I don't think anything expected him just to leave it. I think it is being generous to say that either his or Pennington's mistake were due to excessive pressure though; they were simple clearances completely botched. I do have sympathy for Chambers though - that penalty was extremely harsh.

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 18:06 - Jan 1 with 1030 viewshomer_123

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 18:02 - Jan 1 by pointofblue

Yes, admittedly I did say at half time to the people I sit with that we were showing signs of going back to our old style. The difference was in the second half until the penalty we seemed to have a plan to counter this, which was working reasonably well.

I would say possibly there should have been more calls from the Sir Alf Ramsey Stand for Spence to clear but I don't think anything expected him just to leave it. I think it is being generous to say that either his or Pennington's mistake were due to excessive pressure though; they were simple clearances completely botched. I do have sympathy for Chambers though - that penalty was extremely harsh.

Lambert has asked them to play from the back so Pennington was trying the lay the ball off, bad decision having won the ball...sometimes, do a big Al Hunter and put your foot through it.

Spensce, again, just clear it.

The point is, the ball just kept coming back in he secs half time and again, no restbite for the defence. The more that goes on the more likely a bad decision is made or something goes against you. If the ball is a further 40 yards up the pitch and the pressure is off....no issues.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2019 18:06]

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 18:16 - Jan 1 with 988 viewsRegencyBlue

The first half was excellent, as good as the first half at Reading away which was itself the best I have seen from us for years.

Unfortunately the same problem arose which was that we could not kill the game off when in the ascendency. We should have gone in three goals up at half time today but paid the price for not taking our chances.

We are not getting out of this I’m afraid.
As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 18:22 - Jan 1 with 956 viewshomer_123

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 18:16 - Jan 1 by RegencyBlue

The first half was excellent, as good as the first half at Reading away which was itself the best I have seen from us for years.

Unfortunately the same problem arose which was that we could not kill the game off when in the ascendency. We should have gone in three goals up at half time today but paid the price for not taking our chances.

We are not getting out of this I’m afraid.

Agreed...We cannot see a game out.

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 18:24 - Jan 1 with 945 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

We were good 1st half, but we missed two gilt edge chances to put the game to bed.
The game was there for the taking as Millwall were dreadful.
2nd half, Harris made the changes by bringing on Morrison & collectively, we fell to bits & couldn,t cope with the aerial & physical threat they posed.
Once they equalised, there was only going to be one winner.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 18:29 - Jan 1 with 923 viewspointofblue

As good as we were in the first half, the second showed why we will go down on 18:06 - Jan 1 by homer_123

Lambert has asked them to play from the back so Pennington was trying the lay the ball off, bad decision having won the ball...sometimes, do a big Al Hunter and put your foot through it.

Spensce, again, just clear it.

The point is, the ball just kept coming back in he secs half time and again, no restbite for the defence. The more that goes on the more likely a bad decision is made or something goes against you. If the ball is a further 40 yards up the pitch and the pressure is off....no issues.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2019 18:06]

It wasn't a hard lay off - just completely lacked weight for whatever reason. Spence clearly thought they'd touched it last but have no idea why.

We do not have the experience or strength in midfield to play a possession based game- it's either get the ball forward quickly or we have to hold out. I have to admit we can't really do either effectively but I do still think we had a plan for the second half which was working out reasonably well until the penalty decision.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024