Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referees and unconscious bias 20:24 - Jan 2 with 1336 viewsSouperJim

Feels like we've been on the receiving end of more than our fair share of unbalanced refereeing performances this season, but it's often said that when you're down the bottom end of the table, you get the thin end of the wedge.

The obvious issue with our squad at the moment is a relative lack of experience. We don't know how to look after ourselves and our overall game management is poor. It is this, more than any lack of quality in our play, which is costing us points. Nowhere is this clearer for me than how referees see us, even when taking the blue tinted spectacles off, we've had several important decisions go against us just in the last few games.

The answer is we simply don't appeal for enough decisions. If you make it easy for referees to give decisions against you by not contesting them, unfortunately unconscious bias starts to creep in. The Millwall game was a fantastic example of this, of particular note the freekick given against Bishop shortly before their second goal and the challenge on Gerks which went unpunished for their third. The lack of appropriate punishment for Norwood's challenge on Challobah in our previous home game also sticks in the memory.

Unless we start doing the ugly stuff, we're doomed.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Referees and unconscious bias on 20:29 - Jan 2 with 1304 viewshomer_123

I refer the good gentleman to my post below re. Garner and Magic,

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Referees and unconscious bias on 20:37 - Jan 2 with 1273 viewsSouperJim

Referees and unconscious bias on 20:29 - Jan 2 by homer_123

I refer the good gentleman to my post below re. Garner and Magic,

Agree completely, Garner would be the perfect terrier for us during this current crisis.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Referees and unconscious bias on 20:43 - Jan 2 with 1267 viewsmonty_radio

I felt with yesterday's ref that he seemed determined to advertise his presence by dramatically awarding some goal kicks and throws in innocuous stuations while seemingly conscious that he was contradicting the verdict of anyone who had the temerity to assume different.

Lambert referred to the young players being rattled by it - bit like the decent guys in the class in fear that they might get thrown to the wolves as they realise that teacher has lost the battle with the big cheeses in the group.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Referees and unconscious bias on 20:56 - Jan 2 with 1218 viewstextbackup

I remember joe pointing that out after Stephen Hunt left
He was by the refs side the entire time

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Referees and unconscious bias on 20:58 - Jan 2 with 1211 viewsEly_Blue

That would be the same referee that played advantage in the build up to both of our goals when he could (and many would have) blown his whistle straight away

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Referees and unconscious bias on 21:21 - Jan 2 with 1148 viewsmonty_radio

Referees and unconscious bias on 20:58 - Jan 2 by Ely_Blue

That would be the same referee that played advantage in the build up to both of our goals when he could (and many would have) blown his whistle straight away

I remember that decision, and it was a good one. But it was also 2nd minute. It was early in the second half that he appeared to become more demonstrative and perhaps sensing he was losing it.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Referees and unconscious bias on 21:35 - Jan 2 with 1105 viewsFtnfwest

Referees and unconscious bias on 20:56 - Jan 2 by textbackup

I remember joe pointing that out after Stephen Hunt left
He was by the refs side the entire time

Douglas did that as well but that was because the ref was faster than him
Referees and unconscious bias on 22:09 - Jan 2 with 1047 views3_5_2

I agree we are too nice and even at home, don't get in the refs ear or appeal for everything, it may not be nice but it works

I also agree that the standard of officials in the championship seem to be getting lower

However the 3 goals we conceded were all defensive errors and that has been a huge difference this season, teams only have to be patient and we will give them at least one goal a game and often two

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Login to get fewer ads

Referees and unconscious bias on 22:09 - Jan 2 with 1045 viewsgrimboy

Referees and unconscious bias on 20:58 - Jan 2 by Ely_Blue

I thought the ref had an excellent first half played advantage and kept the game flowing like you say allowing advantage for our first goal.
But second half it was like a different ref came out don’t know what happened in the changing room but he wasn’t the same ref.
Referees and unconscious bias on 22:14 - Jan 2 with 1036 views3_5_2

Referees and unconscious bias on 22:09 - Jan 2 by grimboy

I thought the ref had an excellent first half played advantage and kept the game flowing like you say allowing advantage for our first goal.
But second half it was like a different ref came out don’t know what happened in the changing room but he wasn’t the same ref.

agree

perhaps the physicality of Millwall 2nd half had something to do with that ?

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024