Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One thing about our previous Chairman 17:44 - Jan 5 with 4138 viewsCheltenham_Blue

At least we knew where he was. And we could find him.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2019 18:09]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

One thing about out previous Chairman on 17:57 - Jan 5 with 3806 viewsRegencyBlue

The foundations for much of what has happened to us under Evans were laid by Sheepshanks but one thing I will say for him is that he was a fan and even though his decisions were ultimately flawed he thought he was doing his best for the club.

What he wasn’t was what we have now. A chancer who thought he saw an opportunity to make money from a football club and once reality hit home didn’t have a clue what to do next!
One thing about out previous Chairman on 17:59 - Jan 5 with 3779 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

One thing about out previous Chairman on 17:57 - Jan 5 by RegencyBlue

The foundations for much of what has happened to us under Evans were laid by Sheepshanks but one thing I will say for him is that he was a fan and even though his decisions were ultimately flawed he thought he was doing his best for the club.

What he wasn’t was what we have now. A chancer who thought he saw an opportunity to make money from a football club and once reality hit home didn’t have a clue what to do next!

This in a bloody nutshell.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:05 - Jan 5 with 3750 viewsTractorWood

Agree. Both have failed but Sheepy loved the club and got distracted by Europe and the ground expansion, which were borne from previous success from creating a philosophy and identity with Burley.

Evans strategy for a quick profit was solid enough to buy the club and it saved us but the last 5 years of selling our decent assets, reinvestment on cheap punts and neglecting engaging with club has effectively killed it. The irony being this has also massively diminished the value of his investment.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2019 18:31]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:06 - Jan 5 with 3748 viewsdavblue

His football decisions were infinitely better than Evans’ across the board.
One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:09 - Jan 5 with 3711 viewsOxford_Blue

Seems to me to be a distinction without much of a difference.

Sheepshanks presided over the start of the decline and put very little of his own money into the club and saw it almost go bust.
One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:12 - Jan 5 with 3698 viewsCheltenham_Blue

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:09 - Jan 5 by Oxford_Blue

Sheepshanks presided over the start of the decline and put very little of his own money into the club and saw it almost go bust.

Relegation after committing to 2 new stands saw us go almost bust. Sheepshanks might have over stretched us, but failure to stay up had nothing to do with him.

Why is it you blame Sheepshanks so readily, yet absolve Evans of everything.

One thing about our previous Chairman on 18:15 - Jan 5 with 3683 viewsEdmundo

Never really liked him but I'd have him and Bowden back in a heartbeat right now.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

One thing about our previous Chairman on 18:21 - Jan 5 with 3673 viewsRyorry

One thing about our previous Chairman on 18:15 - Jan 5 by Edmundo

Never really liked him but I'd have him and Bowden back in a heartbeat right now.

I remember him coming into our away section high in the stands at Newcastle purely to say hello to and shake the hands of our travelling fans, really nice thing to do. Can't see ME ever doing that can you?!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

One thing about our previous Chairman on 18:25 - Jan 5 with 3646 viewsTractorWood

One thing about our previous Chairman on 18:21 - Jan 5 by Ryorry

I remember him coming into our away section high in the stands at Newcastle purely to say hello to and shake the hands of our travelling fans, really nice thing to do. Can't see ME ever doing that can you?!

Took him 5 years to shake Rob Chandler's hand.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

One thing about our previous Chairman on 18:26 - Jan 5 with 3646 viewsHARRY10

One thing about our previous Chairman on 18:21 - Jan 5 by Ryorry

I think Evans turning up to a game would be an event.

That he was relying upon Redknapp for advice should tell you all you needed to know about Evans.

If in doubt look at the state of our club now and measure that against the mess Redknapp has left elsewhere
One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:29 - Jan 5 with 3633 viewsBloomBlue

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:09 - Jan 5 by Oxford_Blue

Sheepshanks even made the club pay all his cost when he was trying to get the FA chairman job, he was a chancer.

Plus his football decisions were terrible, he should've sacked Burley after 10 games in that last season in the Prem. Really wish we had the Leicester chairman then at least he knew he had to sack the manager even thought they had won the Prem the year before.

We also needed a Director of Football maybe then the DoE would've got Burley under control and stopped the crazy spending.
One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:36 - Jan 5 with 3610 viewsRyorry

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:29 - Jan 5 by BloomBlue

Sheepshanks even made the club pay all his cost when he was trying to get the FA chairman job, he was a chancer.

Plus his football decisions were terrible, he should've sacked Burley after 10 games in that last season in the Prem. Really wish we had the Leicester chairman then at least he knew he had to sack the manager even thought they had won the Prem the year before.

We also needed a Director of Football maybe then the DoE would've got Burley under control and stopped the crazy spending.

I'll say it again - Kachloul ratting out at the 11th hour really screwed us. Instead of having the 2-3 quality players that he'd been after, Burley then panicked & we ended up with quantity instead of quality. That then had the knock-on effects of breaking the salary structure plus wrecking the team togetherness which had worked so well for us previously.

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:47 - Jan 5 with 3586 viewsCheltenham_Blue

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:36 - Jan 5 by Ryorry

I'll say it again - Kachloul ratting out at the 11th hour really screwed us. Instead of having the 2-3 quality players that he'd been after, Burley then panicked & we ended up with quantity instead of quality. That then had the knock-on effects of breaking the salary structure plus wrecking the team togetherness which had worked so well for us previously.

I'll not have that. We only signed Ulrich Le Pen after Cashdrool ratted out on us.

One thing about our previous Chairman on 18:48 - Jan 5 with 3578 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

oh please, sheepy began this mess in the 1st place. He didn't put a penny of his own money into the club instead borrowed money we couldn't afford from the bank and the calamity financial cock ups which took us into administration. im no fan of Evans but at least he put his own money into the club, millions. His ceo and managerial appointments have been poor but don't paint Sheepy as a saint. Chairman and owner are different things. Sheepy was happy to pounce around Wembley in 2000 but blamed others for the clubs financial f@ck ups.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

One thing about out previous Chairman on 19:08 - Jan 5 with 3548 viewsRyorry

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:47 - Jan 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

I'll not have that. We only signed Ulrich Le Pen after Cashdrool ratted out on us.

Eh?

One thing about out previous Chairman on 19:16 - Jan 5 with 3510 viewsLightningboy

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:12 - Jan 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

Relegation after committing to 2 new stands saw us go almost bust. Sheepshanks might have over stretched us, but failure to stay up had nothing to do with him.

Marcus Sewart missing most of that 2nd season with a broken jaw was what relegated us (not blaming Marcus btw)..another 10+ goals from him that season would’ve made all the difference.
One thing about out previous Chairman on 19:20 - Jan 5 with 3496 viewsCheltenham_Blue

One thing about out previous Chairman on 19:08 - Jan 5 by Ryorry

Eh?

Clearly that one was lost on you.

One thing about our previous Chairman on 19:25 - Jan 5 with 3478 viewsWhymarkmariner

Great film that " Sheepshank Redemption"
One thing about our previous Chairman on 19:31 - Jan 5 with 3463 viewstrncbluearmy

One thing about our previous Chairman on 18:48 - Jan 5 by Jonnosdreadlocks

oh please, sheepy began this mess in the 1st place. He didn't put a penny of his own money into the club instead borrowed money we couldn't afford from the bank and the calamity financial cock ups which took us into administration. im no fan of Evans but at least he put his own money into the club, millions. His ceo and managerial appointments have been poor but don't paint Sheepy as a saint. Chairman and owner are different things. Sheepy was happy to pounce around Wembley in 2000 but blamed others for the clubs financial f@ck ups.

Sheepy was an employee of the club who worked for nothing for years,
ME is the owner, two completely different things

Sheepy gave me some of the greatest moments of my adult life, Evans just misery.

Amongst Evans numerous mistakes was not retaining Sheepy and Bowden to manage the day to day running of the club.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2019 19:32]
One thing about out previous Chairman on 19:33 - Jan 5 with 3445 viewsRyorry

One thing about out previous Chairman on 19:20 - Jan 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

Clearly that one was lost on you.

Wasn't sure if serious I admit! and people are understandably a bit sore on here tonight, so didn't want to risk a bunfight, apols!

One thing about our previous Chairman on 20:55 - Jan 5 with 3357 viewsBloomBlue

One thing about our previous Chairman on 19:31 - Jan 5 by trncbluearmy

Sheepy was an employee of the club who worked for nothing for years,
ME is the owner, two completely different things

Sheepy gave me some of the greatest moments of my adult life, Evans just misery.

Amongst Evans numerous mistakes was not retaining Sheepy and Bowden to manage the day to day running of the club.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2019 19:32]

Sheepshager had to lose his job, Suffolk people had lost their jobs because of his inability to run the club.

I agree we had some great times but it was his lack of football knowledge that meant he didn't sack Burley after 10 games in that final Prem season when anyone could see Burley had lost it. Plus his financial inability in commiting to a stand when we never had the money
One thing about out previous Chairman on 21:00 - Jan 5 with 3342 viewsOxford_Blue

One thing about out previous Chairman on 18:12 - Jan 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

I don’t absolve Evans for everything.

Sheepshanks was chairman when the club almost went out of existence. He led the club and the decision to build new stands, bring in expensive players etc was partly his.

My point is that Evans - for all his faults - actually prevents us from going into administration through his own money. Something Sheepshanks couldn’t do.
One thing about our previous Chairman on 21:06 - Jan 5 with 3326 viewsClapham_Junction

Really never understood the anger at Sheepy. We'd just finished fifth in the Premier League and were playing in a sold out ground every week. Expanding the stadium was perfectly justified (even after going down we were still averaging 25k for a bit), as was splashing out a bit on some new players.

IMO most of the problems that led to our downfall were largely out of our control (Wright leaving, ITV digital etc)
One thing about out previous Chairman on 21:09 - Jan 5 with 3309 views3_5_2

boom! this

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

One thing about out previous Chairman on 21:20 - Jan 5 with 3281 viewsbournemouthblue

A friend who claimed to know someone fairly high up at Ipswich Town told me fairly early on into the ownership that Evans bought the club to try and cash in on the Olympics, get us up quickly and sell us on

He was suggesting not to get too excited about us supposedly having a rich owner

So we ended up getting Simon Clegg in as our Chief Exec with his obvious Olympic connections and sure enough, not long after the Olympics he was gone?

The club seems to have been downsized completely beyond the First Team squad in terms of investment and it's finally now the case where that has caught up

I can remember James Scowcroft saying he had spoken with Evans and alluded to the fact he is a businessman, at some stage he will look to get his return back. How he will manage that any time soon is anyone's guess. I'm sure he didn't envisage it taking this long.

Will relegation to League One attract investors looking to secure a bargain perhaps. who knows? We certainly could do with a football man involved

Say what you like about Sullivan and Gold, at least they knew how to run a football club. They could have quite easily been our owners and I'm sure they wouldn't have made half the mistakes Evans managed.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024