Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am so bored of the Evans chat.... 11:15 - Jan 6 with 5951 viewsitfcjoe

.....he is what he is as an owner, willing to put in a few million a year, which realistically isn't enough to compete. But I can't imagine anyone lining up to take club off his hands.

Decision making is generally poor, has got a lot more wrong than he has right - and still relies to heavily on a manager to run the club from top to bottom.

It felt obvious that Mick was going to be hard to replace, despite what some people thought, and I can't believe we got it so wrong. I was worried at how long the search took at the time, and we should never have waited that long to appoint Hurst or anyone. It was stupid - but another failing of Evans.

Mick was the right man for us, but his time was up. Lambert feels the right man for us so I'll just get behind him and the club.

Lambert, like Mick before seems to enjoy working with Evans. Until Lambert resigns, I think Evans is the right man unless some multi billionaire comes along wanting to buy the club.

All this anger directed at Evans now is either way too late, and should have been what was happening when it was being directed at Mick - or is just ill judged for me.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:18 - Jan 6 with 3706 viewswkj

Bored of it or not, we are at a point as fans where we have to vent, as suffering in silence is not attractive either. I agree some of the sh*t thrown at Evans is rollocks, though there are some overwhelmingly good points being made as well, which should be discussed and challenged.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:20 - Jan 6 with 3685 viewsBluefish

I couldn't agree more. Why we have to try and keep finding people to blame and hate is beyond me, we are what we are so we should support to be the best we can be. There would be no magic fix without Evans so why attack the only source of money that is keeping us afloat. We are not in the top 40 biggest clubs on paper so a relegation to league 1 shouldn't be a big surprise. 2 managers before Mick took us to bottom and the 2 managers after Mick have us bottom. Much bigger teams have gone down and protested and never come back, others have gone down and focussed on support and come back stronger.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:22 - Jan 6 with 3661 viewsStadiumofdark

Yep.

If he was turning down offers etc from other potential owners, then great.... slag him off (I don't believe he is). So, currently, I think he's a crap decision maker. but I'm grateful for his cash.

The fact he wasted loads on Jackson, Nolan and Donacien just makes it harder to accept.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2019 11:22]
Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:28 - Jan 6 with 3626 viewscbower

You often seem to know more on here than most Joe and your views are both measured and respected. We are almost certainly going down and I hope some thought behind the scenes regarding Lambert's longer term future is taking place. Do you think he is committed to stay if and when the worst happens? I know he has made public noises intimating he is but what are your feelings or information on this? I think it is essential he stays and is given a budget to build a propr challenge at coming straight back.

bluescouser

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:28 - Jan 6 with 3620 viewsTractorCam

I just love the people wanting to protest about Evans, presumably because they want him to sell, yet the club is publicly up for sale. I presume they just want him to stop putting money in immediately, that would be fun.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:28 - Jan 6 with 3618 viewsitfcjoe

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:18 - Jan 6 by wkj

Bored of it or not, we are at a point as fans where we have to vent, as suffering in silence is not attractive either. I agree some of the sh*t thrown at Evans is rollocks, though there are some overwhelmingly good points being made as well, which should be discussed and challenged.

Then actually vent somewhere where it will be seen rather than TWTD, Facebook or Twitter

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:30 - Jan 6 with 3604 viewsBluefish

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:28 - Jan 6 by cbower

You often seem to know more on here than most Joe and your views are both measured and respected. We are almost certainly going down and I hope some thought behind the scenes regarding Lambert's longer term future is taking place. Do you think he is committed to stay if and when the worst happens? I know he has made public noises intimating he is but what are your feelings or information on this? I think it is essential he stays and is given a budget to build a propr challenge at coming straight back.

If he gets abuse like yesterday I doubt he will

I just wish he would put a coat on

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:31 - Jan 6 with 3600 viewsfooters

Oh I dunno. I'm interested to learn more about how losing money means you somehow make money. April's not too far off now, hoping for a big cheque from HMRC. :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:34 - Jan 6 with 3577 viewswkj

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:28 - Jan 6 by itfcjoe

Then actually vent somewhere where it will be seen rather than TWTD, Facebook or Twitter

Most of what you post is fairly agreeable, though imposing rules on what should and shouldn't be discussed (within obvious boundaries) is not the solution. I agree that bumbling on about protests and action isn't healthy, and to be taken seriously people should make more assertive plans than just a post on a message board-

However trying to apply limitations on what people should or shouldn't discuss is not reasonable. We are at a time when fans should be discussing and debating issues, not adopting a put up or shut up mentality.

It is a fine line, but the little amount of cream that floats to the top in these discussions are usually well worth the trawling through posts imho.

Crybaby

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:37 - Jan 6 with 3553 viewsNo9

While I agree with much of what you have posted on this thread I do think that Mr Evans may now be at his 'Waterloo'.
Of course we don't really know what the conversations between Mr E & his team managers consisted of but it now looks like PL has made his views public (something MM & others didn't do) & that will make those around Mr E sit up & take notice simply because Mr E (supposedly knowing nothing about football) will be in no doubt a place in the second tier of English football is now very much in danger and his options are simple - invest a lot and take the risk of not staying up, spend little or nothing and drop down one division accepting all that will mean.

I cannot see it as a possibility this was not discussed between Messrs Evans & Lambert during contract negotiations.
Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:37 - Jan 6 with 3550 viewstractorboy1978

I agree. The "lack of investment" line that people keep churning out also hides a lot of the more complicated failings of Evans. Number one on that list is a complete lack of oversight of the managers he appoints or having someone at the club with that oversight day to day.

Fundamentally, we will never go up under Evans but had we appointed Lambert rather than Hurst in the summer (not saying that was ever a consideration) we would not be going down. Primarily Hurst is responsible for the poor recruitment in the summer.

I get the feeling Lambert has the bit between his teeth and sees it as a personal challenge to bring relative good times back to the fans and the club. Keeping him here IMO in absolutely essential.
Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:39 - Jan 6 with 3543 viewspennblue

You say you are bored of the chat, but you raise 2 reasons why our club are fecked with him in charge:

1) He relies too heavily on a manager to run the club from top to bottom.

Look at Accrington - they too are under invested for their League, but Andy Holt is the heart of the club and runs it from top to bottom as you suggest (correctly) we need.

2) He cannot afford to invest enough to enable us to compete

So what are you suggesting? We just stick our heads in the sand and carry on?

At point do you decide to do something?

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:44 - Jan 6 with 3514 viewsitfcjoe

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:28 - Jan 6 by cbower

I genuinely don't know anything in this regard so is just opinion - but I think lambert will be here for the longer term.........but I think he is going to challenge Evans in a way no other manager has done so far.

We will know we are in trouble if Lambert does leave, because it means Evans wasn't up to his challenge

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:45 - Jan 6 with 3490 viewsBluefish

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:39 - Jan 6 by pennblue

You say you are bored of the chat, but you raise 2 reasons why our club are fecked with him in charge:

Look at Accrington - they too are under invested for their League, but Andy Holt is the heart of the club and runs it from top to bottom as you suggest (correctly) we need.

1) they are a much smaller club than us and Andy Holt is rare in that regard. Championship clubs don't operate in that way

2) how much more do we need? Who in their right mind would invest sums even greater than he is when our income is so low? How much do you want per season? 20 million loss? Other clubs have external debt or the owner can sell it on, ours comes out of his pocket and he has put in reportedly 100 million

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:49 - Jan 6 with 3474 viewswkj

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:45 - Jan 6 by Bluefish

1) they are a much smaller club than us and Andy Holt is rare in that regard. Championship clubs don't operate in that way

2) how much more do we need? Who in their right mind would invest sums even greater than he is when our income is so low? How much do you want per season? 20 million loss? Other clubs have external debt or the owner can sell it on, ours comes out of his pocket and he has put in reportedly 100 million

they are a much smaller club than us

After yesterday, and hearing about how the lad that got MotM reckons it didn't feel like they played against a championship team (paraphrasing Hoppy) - I really cant see much difference in the sense of scale between the 2 clubs.

Historically, yes, but presently? no

Crybaby

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:50 - Jan 6 with 3456 viewsitfcjoe

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:34 - Jan 6 by wkj

Most of what you post is fairly agreeable, though imposing rules on what should and shouldn't be discussed (within obvious boundaries) is not the solution. I agree that bumbling on about protests and action isn't healthy, and to be taken seriously people should make more assertive plans than just a post on a message board-

However trying to apply limitations on what people should or shouldn't discuss is not reasonable. We are at a time when fans should be discussing and debating issues, not adopting a put up or shut up mentality.

It is a fine line, but the little amount of cream that floats to the top in these discussions are usually well worth the trawling through posts imho.

Sorry it comes across like that - but all morning I've seen people going on about protests but nothing will actually happen.

As per my other post, if someone said we will be having a sit in after the game to protest, who is joining then I would have much more respect for that - as it is it is just moaning and quite aggressive moaning by some. My message to them is DO SOMETHING

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:51 - Jan 6 with 3450 viewstractorboy1978

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:39 - Jan 6 by pennblue

Point 1 - I agree with - the structure of the club and Evans lack of day to day oversight means that a bad managerial appointment is even more critical and damaging.

Point 2 - the more pertinent question is 'at what point does ME decide to do something'. He is simply throwing good money after bad at the moment.
Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:54 - Jan 6 with 3432 viewswkj

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:50 - Jan 6 by itfcjoe

Sorry it comes across like that - but all morning I've seen people going on about protests but nothing will actually happen.

As per my other post, if someone said we will be having a sit in after the game to protest, who is joining then I would have much more respect for that - as it is it is just moaning and quite aggressive moaning by some. My message to them is DO SOMETHING

I could not agree more, but right now, idle chat is probably the best thing for us, as we are crap at protests and trying to make a point. While there is still a chance, we should be bound to backing Lambert at matches, once our fate is unavoidable - that is when action should happen, if at all.

We need some form of discussion to make sure our protest goes further than a dirty bed sheet draped over the hoardings.

Crybaby

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:58 - Jan 6 with 3410 viewsBenters2

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:50 - Jan 6 by itfcjoe

Sod that i only have about 15 mins to get out of the stadium to get my train.

Sits back puffs on pipe.
Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:58 - Jan 6 with 3408 viewsBluefish

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:49 - Jan 6 by wkj

they are a much smaller club than us

After yesterday, and hearing about how the lad that got MotM reckons it didn't feel like they played against a championship team (paraphrasing Hoppy) - I really cant see much difference in the sense of scale between the 2 clubs.

Historically, yes, but presently? no

I think you are getting far too emotional if you can't see that there is an enormous difference in the size of the operations between the 2 clubs. Just because they beat us in a cup game didn't mean they are as big.

There have been far bigger giant killings than this and I'm sure the players then said similar. I listened to man utd vs reading on the way there and the commentary said reading looked the better side but no one tried to claim that makes them an equal club. Similarly Gillingham vs Cardiff

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 12:02 - Jan 6 with 3400 viewsRegencyBlue

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:37 - Jan 6 by tractorboy1978

I agree. The "lack of investment" line that people keep churning out also hides a lot of the more complicated failings of Evans. Number one on that list is a complete lack of oversight of the managers he appoints or having someone at the club with that oversight day to day.

Fundamentally, we will never go up under Evans but had we appointed Lambert rather than Hurst in the summer (not saying that was ever a consideration) we would not be going down. Primarily Hurst is responsible for the poor recruitment in the summer.

I get the feeling Lambert has the bit between his teeth and sees it as a personal challenge to bring relative good times back to the fans and the club. Keeping him here IMO in absolutely essential.

I think the lack of investment on the one hand and awful management on the other are inextricably linked. It’s all part and parcel of the same problem, namely Evans!

I cannot see how anyone can look at his record here and not despair at what the club has become. Shutting down debate about it doesn’t make the problems go away!
Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 12:02 - Jan 6 with 3390 viewswkj

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:58 - Jan 6 by Bluefish

I think you are getting far too emotional if you can't see that there is an enormous difference in the size of the operations between the 2 clubs. Just because they beat us in a cup game didn't mean they are as big.

There have been far bigger giant killings than this and I'm sure the players then said similar. I listened to man utd vs reading on the way there and the commentary said reading looked the better side but no one tried to claim that makes them an equal club. Similarly Gillingham vs Cardiff

Not emotional at all, though I strongly believe next season presents a good chance of us finishing underneath them if our fate is sealed to be in D1.

My summary of the comparison of size is not based on one match either, it is based on Stanley being mid table in L1, which frankly in our current state would be where I imagine we'd be sitting if in that division.

Remember, at one point we were a bigger club than Huddersfield, Burnley, Bournemouth and Cardiff too. Emotions didn't change that.

Crybaby

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 12:03 - Jan 6 with 3387 viewsitfcjoe

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 11:54 - Jan 6 by wkj

I could not agree more, but right now, idle chat is probably the best thing for us, as we are crap at protests and trying to make a point. While there is still a chance, we should be bound to backing Lambert at matches, once our fate is unavoidable - that is when action should happen, if at all.

We need some form of discussion to make sure our protest goes further than a dirty bed sheet draped over the hoardings.

Just to clarify, I'm not really talking about the idle chat, more the talk of protest and anger at him which will lead to nothing but more anger

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 12:05 - Jan 6 with 3368 viewsBluefish

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 12:02 - Jan 6 by wkj

Not emotional at all, though I strongly believe next season presents a good chance of us finishing underneath them if our fate is sealed to be in D1.

My summary of the comparison of size is not based on one match either, it is based on Stanley being mid table in L1, which frankly in our current state would be where I imagine we'd be sitting if in that division.

Remember, at one point we were a bigger club than Huddersfield, Burnley, Bournemouth and Cardiff too. Emotions didn't change that.

We couldnt finish below stanley for 5 years in a row and still be a bigger club. Andy Holt would happily admit that and that is part of their success, they all know what they are. I don't think there is much to choose club wise between us Huddersfield, Burnley or Cardiff but they are miles ahead of us currently

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 12:07 - Jan 6 with 3355 viewswkj

Am so bored of the Evans chat.... on 12:03 - Jan 6 by itfcjoe

Just to clarify, I'm not really talking about the idle chat, more the talk of protest and anger at him which will lead to nothing but more anger

Then i humbly stand corrected

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024