Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do you still support Ipswich? 12:28 - Jan 7 with 10700 viewsBlackboots

I haven’t enjoyed the style of football for years, I don’t like the way Evans runs the club, I don’t rate the vast majority of the squad, Portman Road is run down and lacking atmosphere. Even the relatively minor things like the awful kits this season and dreadful sponsor are getter to me. In truth at the moment I don’t even like the club I used to love.

It’s my team though, I’m stuck with them and will be supporting them long after Evans, Lambert (who I don’t mind) and the players have moved on. It’s over 40 years of memories and friendships. Ipswich have always been a big part of my life and I know they’ll always be my team regardless of what division we’re in and how bad we are.

The most disappointing thing is that last summer a combination of a new manager, a lot of new players joining, the Sir Bobby film screening at the club, My Blue Heaven at the Wolsey and a few other things meant I felt more optimistic and connected to the club than I had for a long time.

Right now the future of the club looks bleak and I think we’re facing years of us in the lower leagues with a decaying stadium and dwindling support.

I’ll still go to games but it’s to catch up with friends (although a lot have stopped going), out of a sense of duty and because we all know your football team is for life. Does anyone on here actually still enjoy supporting the club we are now and feel optimistic about the future of Ipswich Town?

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 12:39 - Jan 7 with 5966 viewsurbanblue

The amazing thing is that, if anything, I am feeling more passion for the club then I have for years. During the end of Mick's tenure I was numb .. Even to the extent that I was starting to lose interest. Living in Australia I am able to watch the games on I follow but last season I couldn't be arsed to get up at 2am to do so. I reckon I only watched 6 or 7 games. This season I have watched nearly every game, going to bed earlier and setting the alarm to get up ... Spending more time then ever on here. Blue blood is pumping through me and I am feeling it more then ever!!

Ipswich til I die!!
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 12:45 - Jan 7 with 5929 viewsBlackboots

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 12:39 - Jan 7 by urbanblue

The amazing thing is that, if anything, I am feeling more passion for the club then I have for years. During the end of Mick's tenure I was numb .. Even to the extent that I was starting to lose interest. Living in Australia I am able to watch the games on I follow but last season I couldn't be arsed to get up at 2am to do so. I reckon I only watched 6 or 7 games. This season I have watched nearly every game, going to bed earlier and setting the alarm to get up ... Spending more time then ever on here. Blue blood is pumping through me and I am feeling it more then ever!!

Ipswich til I die!!

Is MM leaving the only reason? If we were in a tense relegation battle I think I’d feel more passionate about it but we’re not, we aren’t even competitive and are going down without a fight.

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 12:48 - Jan 7 with 5913 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

It's in the blood. I've started watching my local team Felixstowe & Walton Utd when it doesn't clash with ITFC home games, but it just doesn't give me the same buzz. F&W won 3-0 at the weekend but I still went home miserable having listened to ITFC on BBC Suffolk through my earphones during the game.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 12:48 - Jan 7 with 5914 viewslowhouseblue

it's basically a curse isn't it. but when the good times return it will all have been worth it. when we win promotion from division 2 back to division 1 in about 2026 we'll look back and be thankful that we hung on in there.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 12:52 - Jan 7 with 5893 viewsurbanblue

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 12:45 - Jan 7 by Blackboots

Is MM leaving the only reason? If we were in a tense relegation battle I think I’d feel more passionate about it but we’re not, we aren’t even competitive and are going down without a fight.

Nothing to do with Mick. How can you explain passion ... It's either there or it's not. You can't make it happen!

It's like being in a relationship that's boring ... Then everything changes and you think you may lose that person or thing. Suddenly it all changes and all the love comes back ...

... if you get what I mean!
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:09 - Jan 7 with 5819 viewsbrazil1982

The club and players represent the town....and me, to some extent. I can't give it up although it's a miserable time now. Having a few in the pub in Accrington before the match was great though and I have a feeling our away support next season could be huge (providing we start well).
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:13 - Jan 7 with 5797 viewsbritbiker

My uncle used to take me to ipswich and col utd when I was too small to see over the barrier and rosettes were fashionable. He unfortunately went to holiday in Australia when I was a teen and died from a heart attack.

I have attended ever since bar a few years when I played rugby on saturdays.

Im a massive fan of the underdog so im destined to spebd 90% of my sporting life being miserable and waiting for those small moments of joy. Most of my mates follow the big six clubs but never go to a game. They always try to take the pee but really dont get it. Im quite smug knowing I follow for passion not Glory.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2019 13:14]
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:13 - Jan 7 with 5795 viewsGuthrum

Because it's there.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:16 - Jan 7 with 5778 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Not really a choice is it.

You fall in love with a club and that's it isn't it. It's for life.

Anyone who stops going for whatever reason fair enough. But you still support the club whether you are physically there or not.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:24 - Jan 7 with 5706 viewsBecclesITFC

It's such a difficult period at the moment. Worst 10 years in our history you could say.

Why you still support Ipswich is hard to answer. You just do.

I go because I know everyone else will. Simple as. I had a superb time in Accrington with my pals. When i'm drinking and having a laugh with my them and having a great chat and beer with opposition fans you realise that sometimes the foobtall is the second most important thing and this is what it's all about.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:31 - Jan 7 with 5658 viewshoppy

🎶 “FOLLOW THE TOWN
UP OR DOWN...” 🎶

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

on 13:33 - Jan 7 with 5648 views_

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:36 - Jan 7 with 5626 viewsElephantintheRoom

I reckon it's an age thing. IF you were lucky enough to support the club pre sell-out, maybe even pre-Sheepshanks, you know what the club used to be and what it stood for then. Butt given it is over a decade since the sell-out, nobody under their mid-20s really remembers what Town once were.

I completely agree with you about the reprehensible advert on the shirt and the equally unacceptable owner. It wouldn't seem so bad if there wasn't such a heritage to throw away.

There are no John Cobbold statues at Portman Road - but there ought to be. He more than anyone made the club what it was. My response to the repugnant sell-out was to restrict myself to away games - and go just once or twice a season to Portman Road. I started watching Cambridge United, themselves victims of unacceptable asset stripping. Seeing them get back into the league as a community club was genuinely quite good fun... and all the time they were playing better football than I was seeing Town play. I stopped that after they got back in the league. If you live close to Leiston give them a try.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:44 - Jan 7 with 5595 viewspeterleeblue

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:24 - Jan 7 by BecclesITFC

It's such a difficult period at the moment. Worst 10 years in our history you could say.

Why you still support Ipswich is hard to answer. You just do.

I go because I know everyone else will. Simple as. I had a superb time in Accrington with my pals. When i'm drinking and having a laugh with my them and having a great chat and beer with opposition fans you realise that sometimes the foobtall is the second most important thing and this is what it's all about.

I now watch a lot of Sunderland as they are my local team of 25 years. My wife's side of the family as well as my grown up children are huge fans. Its an area where even non football fans (my wife cried whilst watching Sunderland till I die on NETFLIX) are passionate about the club as it represents the area.

Because of the distance I class myself as an Ipswich Fan first and foremost and a Sunderland supporter because I spend money watching them play so I can be with family and it gives me and my kids events to meet up.

I have highlighted before I was down in East Anglia during one of the International breaks and as my daughter is a Vegan we went to the Vegan festival at the club around Halloween from memory. I was staggered by the run down nature of the stadium. It is clearly unloved. It is so sad to see the club so poorly managed. Maybe league 1 will be a level that ME will be content to operate at and without having to subsidise huge losses he will invest in the stadium. Ipswich will still be a bigger draw than the majority of clubs at that level as long as a decent budget can be provided. We need our academy to step up like never before. Its needs to produce a £5m talent that we can sell with large sell on clauses.

It will turn around I am sure. It will turn around quicker if Evans can be replaced. He will need to shoulder the debt burden for this to happen.

Whatever though there will always be an Ipswich!
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:46 - Jan 7 with 5583 viewsslump

You ask as if I have a choice?

UTT

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:47 - Jan 7 with 5578 viewswkj

I never chose to support Town, it happened organically. Grandad took me to a game in the Churchmans, we scored and I watched and listened to the noise coming from the North and though, this is for me this is.

Fast forward to today, I support Ipswich Town because it is the same club to me as it always was, I do not support the poor steering of the ship. I am conflicted about spending money on Town as I want to hurt Evans and see him shape up or ship out, but I do not want to hurt the Club.

The same club that caused teary eyes when Crewe beat us year in year out to become the bogey team that kept us from going up automatically season after season. Though the same club that exploded when we went to Wembley, the line around the exterior of the ground to get tickets occasionally bursting into song as we waited. Then the magic of the day itself, seeing Mogga leap up what seemed like 20 feet... seeing Reuser toing what Reuser did time and again - surging up the field and trying to obliterate the net with his shot into the roof of the goal.

Then there was the night at Portman Road when the referee decided to be on our side. Smug Sam and his team of ruff and tumblers crashing out to a night of high drama and suspense. We all knew once we won that semi final, we were as good as promoted, we felt this year was different from the few prior.

Fast forward to the Mick years. We were a team down and out, much like this season. We started getting points yet so did everyone else around us making it a remarkable finish to the season. Though on my 30th birthday we played Crystal Palace at home and won 3-0; an amazing night where Nouble was part steamroller, part Ferrari.

This is why I still support Ipswich, the memories of the good time, and the togetherness through the bad. It is difficult now as we are quite fractured as a fan base which is tough to take, and we are run by an owner who probably only cares for success now to save his embarrassment; rather than to see Town on the up.

Things will 99.9% end poorly this year, and we probably wont bounce back for a while. Expectations of challenging for the premier league will likely turn into pipe dreams, but until the day Ipswich Town FC or WKJ doesn't exist any more - I will support the town.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:50 - Jan 7 with 5555 viewsOxford_Blue

Because they are my team and always will be. I’ve shared the highs and the lows. They’re my home town club. I could never support anybody else even I though I haven’t lived in the town for a long time .

Relegation is tough but it was tough for every side that goes down.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:51 - Jan 7 with 5543 viewsfooters

Cheaper than a dominatrix, but the same effect.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:00 - Jan 7 with 5511 viewsMedwayTractor

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:50 - Jan 7 by Oxford_Blue

Because they are my team and always will be. I’ve shared the highs and the lows. They’re my home town club. I could never support anybody else even I though I haven’t lived in the town for a long time .

Relegation is tough but it was tough for every side that goes down.

Spot on.

I was born within sight and sound of Portman Road and went to my first game at PR with my Dad when I was about 9 or 10. I couldn't care less about any other club, although there are some for which I have respect and some which I detest.

"Ipswich 'til I die" sums it up for me. Marcus Evans and Paul Lambert are merely caretakers, we'll be following Town long after they have moved on.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:01 - Jan 7 with 5500 viewsshady

You can change your spouse, house, country, food choices, religion
all comparatively easily

A football team is for life.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:01 - Jan 7 with 5498 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's a bit like asking why do you still love your family when they feck up?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:02 - Jan 7 with 5488 viewsDeano69

Because.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:26 - Jan 7 with 5424 viewsFixed_It

I'm kind of proud to say I support Ipswich when asked by 'supporters' of the big Prem teams who I support. There may be a bit of ridicule, but deep down I think they admire my loyalty to the cause. I like to think they might even have a hint of jealousy - but I doubt it. Thing is - they will never know what it is to truly support a football team and have a true affinity to it. And in some ways - I reckon I pity them more than they pity me...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:26 - Jan 7 with 5422 viewsFtnfwest

It will always be part of my life whether nou camp or Nuneaton borough. Don't like a lot of what's been going on but still enjoy supporting the club. Frankly because the games been ruined by sky and unless you cheat the rules both on and off the pitch as a club outside the top 6 or 7, you'll achieve nothing anyway. Unless making money is deemed a major honour these days.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:32 - Jan 7 with 5386 viewsITFC_Forever

Because every now and again, there is a moment which makes it all worth it. Admittedly, they've been thin on the ground recently, but they do happen, even to us.

Chaplow at Watford being the best recent example, but more recently, Celina vs Leeds a year ago, Edwards vs Norwich this season, Harrison v the Blunts a few weeks ago - they may not have ultimately counted for much and are obviously relatively tepid moments compared to some of the bigger ones over the years.... but when they come along, and the bigger and more intense they are, it makes it all worth it.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024