Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? 08:37 - Jan 9 with 5078 viewsitfcjoe

Left back

Knudsen and Kenlock in position, Knudsen had been first choice until he (presumably) indicated that he was not willing to sign a new contract here and wanted to explore other options and then Kenlock came in. Callum Elder brought in on loan now to ensure we still have 2 players for that position, and Knudsen now out of the picture (but still here)

Right back

Spence at right back, who is nowhere hear as bad as is being made out but is struggling. Donacien not seen as a RB by PL, and Emmanuel out on loan at Shrewsbury who isn't getting a look in (16 minutes in the league since new manager appointed 7 games ago).

So at Left back, we have 3 players capable of playing regularly in this league, and at RB we have just 1.

Why do we not get Emmanuel back to challenge Spence? Or sign someone? And if Knudsen doesn't leave this month then was the Elder signing a waste of time and a loan spot?

This is about all I can fault Lambert for currently, but it is confusing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 08:42 - Jan 9 with 4362 viewsdavblue

He did say that no one was leaving until he had bodies in.

I suspect we are after a right back and Knudsen will go before the deadline ends.

I think I would rather 3 left backs for a few weeks than 1 when the deadline closes ala the Murphy deal a few years ago.
I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 08:46 - Jan 9 with 4338 viewsCoastalblue

I'm guessing Lambert has said to Knudsen either you want to be here or you don't, not getting any reassurances has then decided that he's not going to be.
Wants everybody pulling together and in it together I would think, I don't think he's resigned to relegation just yet.
We could do with another right back though, that's for sure.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 08:48 - Jan 9 with 4327 viewsCOYBitfc

Think we need to wait for the conclusion of the window to asses the balance etc.. Although if it does shape up as you have described once the window closes it does seem odd, but I am expecting Knud to move on for a low fee or as part of a deal for a player coming the other way.

Poll: Current/prospective ST holders, what scenario will you purchase for next season?

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 08:55 - Jan 9 with 4300 viewsgosblue

I think Elder was offered to us rather than us looking. As soon as talks between Evans and Knudsen’s agents came to a head we snapped Elder up, good business Imo. As for RB, I agree with you. Spence needs competition in that position. For years (and several managers) now it seems to have been a tactic at Ipswich to allow crosses to come into our box at will. We got away with it a bit when Bart was at his best but it just seems crazy to me.
I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 08:59 - Jan 9 with 4271 viewsJimmyJazz

Just a thought about Emmanuel, but do you just think he's not that good really? Rotherham didn't exactly show much interest in keeping him, even though we were willing to let him go out on loan

He might be decent for us next season in League 1 mind you

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:06 - Jan 9 with 4242 viewsIpswichKnight

I can see the logic in the LB situation we could be left with just one LB at the close of the window and knowing our luck that LB would then get injured!

The RB situation is strange as we have shown no indication that we are going to give Spence a rest. Cotter has hardly stood out for the U23 and Crowe isn't pushing on either ( or is that down to him playing hardball over contracts )
I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:07 - Jan 9 with 4236 viewsBluefish

Alternatively Lambert views Spence as solid enough and has other pressing concerns. He has Pennington, Donacien and Chambers to fill in if needed.

Jonas must be a certainty to leave to bring in Elder although I was surprised to see him training yesterday. None of the listed players can really cover at LB

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:34 - Jan 9 with 4155 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:07 - Jan 9 by Bluefish

Alternatively Lambert views Spence as solid enough and has other pressing concerns. He has Pennington, Donacien and Chambers to fill in if needed.

Jonas must be a certainty to leave to bring in Elder although I was surprised to see him training yesterday. None of the listed players can really cover at LB

I think Knudsen is done here whether he leaves this month or not, unless either he signs a new deal or we have an injury crisis

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:44 - Jan 9 with 4107 viewstextbackup

Sorry, but to claim Spence isn’t as bad as some are making out is wrong.

Watched that 46 goals conceded video at work the other night, with 3 blokes that were football fans, not Ipswich fans, and haven’t seen us play, I made no comment during this as I wanted their opinions on our defending. After they stopped laughing at our keepers 2 or the 3 made comments on Spence ‘he’s not sure what he’s doing in any of those goals’ ‘if I was the other team I’d attack down the right as it would be easy to confuse him’ ‘he realises he has to mark a man?’

I just sat there safe in the knowledge that it wasn’t just me, and that anyone defending him is doing it for some bizarre reason

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:47 - Jan 9 with 4086 viewsBluefish

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:44 - Jan 9 by textbackup

Watched that 46 goals conceded video at work the other night, with 3 blokes that were football fans, not Ipswich fans, and haven’t seen us play, I made no comment during this as I wanted their opinions on our defending. After they stopped laughing at our keepers 2 or the 3 made comments on Spence ‘he’s not sure what he’s doing in any of those goals’ ‘if I was the other team I’d attack down the right as it would be easy to confuse him’ ‘he realises he has to mark a man?’

I just sat there safe in the knowledge that it wasn’t just me, and that anyone defending him is doing it for some bizarre reason

To be fair those blokes at work probably know a lot more than our past 3 managers as well especially when judging from a lowlights real
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 9:50]

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:50 - Jan 9 with 4058 viewschicoazul

Said it the other day, the lack of concrete links to good solid experienced defenders who could improve us is a concern right now. Think Matt Elliott rather than Callum Elder as good as I am sure he is.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:51 - Jan 9 with 4058 viewsRadlett_blue

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:44 - Jan 9 by textbackup

Spence is a decent footballer but there's a reason why most of his career has been spent in the lower leagues - his positional awareness & concentration aren't up to this level. He's now 28 so unlikely that this facet of his game will improve. The sort of you player you expect to be in a team relegated from the Championship. Lambert must have absolutely decided he doesn't want to play Donacien at all costs; I don't know if Emmanuel would be a substantial enough upgrade, if at all.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:51 - Jan 9 with 4048 viewsBluefish

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:50 - Jan 9 by chicoazul

Said it the other day, the lack of concrete links to good solid experienced defenders who could improve us is a concern right now. Think Matt Elliott rather than Callum Elder as good as I am sure he is.

I think Lambert has highlighted that we won't need to defend as much if the ball will stick up top a little bit
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 9:52]

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:51 - Jan 9 with 4046 viewstextbackup

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:47 - Jan 9 by Bluefish

To be fair those blokes at work probably know a lot more than our past 3 managers as well especially when judging from a lowlights real
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 9:50]

They are the goals we’ve conceded, it’s not been edited to make him/us look bad

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:53 - Jan 9 with 4039 viewsDeano69

I cant agree with you on Spence. Far from capable and not even close to good enough.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:53 - Jan 9 with 4031 viewsBluefish

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:51 - Jan 9 by textbackup

They are the goals we’ve conceded, it’s not been edited to make him/us look bad

Well technically it has because it only includes goals conceded and not successful defending. Not sure any defence looks good when they are conceding a goal, I expect you could make the Man City defence look bad while looking exclusively at this goals conceded even if there are far less to look at.

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:58 - Jan 9 with 4010 viewsKeaneish

I think Knudsen will go which resolves that point and we're rumoured to be after Marshall aren't we to compete with Spence? I actually still can't believe that a decade later, right back is still such a problem area for us.

Emmanuel needs to go out to another club on loan. Waste of time him being at Shrewsbury.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 10:02 - Jan 9 with 3990 viewsDeano69

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:58 - Jan 9 by Keaneish

I think Knudsen will go which resolves that point and we're rumoured to be after Marshall aren't we to compete with Spence? I actually still can't believe that a decade later, right back is still such a problem area for us.

Emmanuel needs to go out to another club on loan. Waste of time him being at Shrewsbury.

Emmanuel, just wondering at what point we actually play him. He is now 21, has made 60+ appearances and 19 of them with us. If he still needs loaning out now is there ever going to be a time to play him?

Totally agree on the RB position

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 10:37 - Jan 9 with 3878 viewsNo9

The whole defence quandary seems strange. Having stepped into the non effective midfield with some success defence and strke force need sorting
Both with some ugency but problems at the back seem to be stuck
I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 12:04 - Jan 9 with 3752 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

I don't get the jogging back into position and the constant stupid free kicks he gives away around the box.

Is he not good enough or just has no football brain?

Perhaps he has already been told he won't be getting a new contract in the summer.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 12:06 - Jan 9 with 3740 viewsKieran_Knows

I'll be amazed if Knudsen is still here come the end of January and i'll be amazed if PL hasn't signed another RB come the end of January.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 13:24 - Jan 9 with 3621 viewsitfcjoe

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 08:59 - Jan 9 by JimmyJazz

Just a thought about Emmanuel, but do you just think he's not that good really? Rotherham didn't exactly show much interest in keeping him, even though we were willing to let him go out on loan

He might be decent for us next season in League 1 mind you

I don't disagree with that assessment of Emmanuel, just surprising that we are happy to sit with 1 RB who is struggling whilst a youngster with 50-60 games of senior football in the 2nd and 3rd tier is left on the bench at Shrewsbury

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 13:25 - Jan 9 with 3616 viewstextbackup

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:53 - Jan 9 by Bluefish

Well technically it has because it only includes goals conceded and not successful defending. Not sure any defence looks good when they are conceding a goal, I expect you could make the Man City defence look bad while looking exclusively at this goals conceded even if there are far less to look at.

fair point to a degree. but the constant bumming up of spence is as bad as those that cant see anything decent he does. he is a pro footballer, but the level for him to look anything other than poor is league 2.

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 13:26 - Jan 9 with 3604 viewsitfcjoe

Some make out he is the worst player to wear a blue shirt - every time the ball went anywhere near him or he did anything they moaned about him. He could give away a throw in at the other end of the pitch and if they scored 30 seconds later he would be blamed for it.

He's clearly struggling - but the scapegoating of him is way OTT

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 13:29 - Jan 9 with 3584 viewsitfcjoe

I don't really get the full back situation here at the moment? on 09:53 - Jan 9 by Deano69

I cant agree with you on Spence. Far from capable and not even close to good enough.

It's not really the crux of the post is it though - if anything it stregthens the argument as to waht are we doign at full back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024