Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
While we don't know how any of them will turn out 16:46 - Jan 9 with 3380 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

If we were a League One club and signed Keane, Quaner, Dawkins and Elder then it would be pretty underwhelming wouldn't it?

Yet these are the players we have turned to gather promotion form to potentially stay in the division.

Absolutely no question that Evans has decided we are almost certainly down but these (Quaner aside who I think would be very decent in League One) would not even be players I'd be thrilled about a division lower.

I would be amazed if Lambert is here come August. I simply cannot see it.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:49 - Jan 9 with 3351 viewswkj

Who do you think we could realistically sign given the league position we're in, I doubt we are a hot ticket for many.

Pilkington was offered good terms it seems, but his reasons to not come here were his own, and reportedly nothing to do with the terms offered - so we can scratch that one from the Evans blame game.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:51 - Jan 9 with 3330 viewsStewart27

Bring back Rory Fallon and Stern John.

All is forgiven.

It’s so, so, so depressing right now.
While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:51 - Jan 9 with 3327 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:49 - Jan 9 by wkj

Who do you think we could realistically sign given the league position we're in, I doubt we are a hot ticket for many.

Pilkington was offered good terms it seems, but his reasons to not come here were his own, and reportedly nothing to do with the terms offered - so we can scratch that one from the Evans blame game.

If he's seriously planning for League One, then spend some money on decent players from the top League One clubs that we could offer better wages too - Luton for example. Sunderland and Pompey players are sadly now out of our league.

If he's seriously trying to stay in the Championship then overpay for Championship quality players that are out of favour at some of the top clubs. Not easy but Boro, Villa, Derby etc have large squads packed with players not in the 18 that you could convince to come here, be a hero and put themselves in the shop window.

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:53 - Jan 9 with 3303 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:51 - Jan 9 by WarkTheWarkITFC

If he's seriously planning for League One, then spend some money on decent players from the top League One clubs that we could offer better wages too - Luton for example. Sunderland and Pompey players are sadly now out of our league.

If he's seriously trying to stay in the Championship then overpay for Championship quality players that are out of favour at some of the top clubs. Not easy but Boro, Villa, Derby etc have large squads packed with players not in the 18 that you could convince to come here, be a hero and put themselves in the shop window.

Ah yeah, I bet Lambert hasnt spoken to any of those bigger clubs. You'd better suggest it to him.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:54 - Jan 9 with 3295 viewsJ2BLUE

Can we please stop talking such rubbish?

If we beat Rotherham in our next game we're 7 points behind. We then need to make up 0.42 points per game on them* to make up 8 points and go above them. In the six game form table they are averaging 0.8 points. So are we. We are looking to bring lots of players in to make us more solid and give us more cutting edge. There, in theory, we need 1.22 points per game for the rest of the season. Over a season that is 56 points and absolutely not 'promotion form'. Maybe if people looked at reality they would't be getting so wound up about the type of players we are signing.

*It's possible, but highly unlikely we could need to make up more than 8 points if Reading or Bolton suddenly start playing like Man City. Not very likely though.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 16:55]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:54 - Jan 9 with 3288 viewswkj

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:51 - Jan 9 by WarkTheWarkITFC

We will also need squad players at that level too. Many seem to feel Dawkins is crap, fair enough, but as hard as it is to admit, so are we, so- we better get used to this way of life, as we're not the big club we like to think we are no more, and the type of players at the top of L1 probably see us as a poor move if we go down as we absolutely 200% will not bounce back next season the way things stand right now.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:55 - Jan 9 with 3269 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:54 - Jan 9 by wkj

We will also need squad players at that level too. Many seem to feel Dawkins is crap, fair enough, but as hard as it is to admit, so are we, so- we better get used to this way of life, as we're not the big club we like to think we are no more, and the type of players at the top of L1 probably see us as a poor move if we go down as we absolutely 200% will not bounce back next season the way things stand right now.

Yep, but flouncers will flounce.

Its what they do.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:59 - Jan 9 with 3245 viewshomer_123

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:54 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

If we beat Rotherham in our next game we're 7 points behind. We then need to make up 0.42 points per game on them* to make up 8 points and go above them. In the six game form table they are averaging 0.8 points. So are we. We are looking to bring lots of players in to make us more solid and give us more cutting edge. There, in theory, we need 1.22 points per game for the rest of the season. Over a season that is 56 points and absolutely not 'promotion form'. Maybe if people looked at reality they would't be getting so wound up about the type of players we are signing.

*It's possible, but highly unlikely we could need to make up more than 8 points if Reading or Bolton suddenly start playing like Man City. Not very likely though.

With the best will in the world J2, given you current situation, the players we are signing are not at all surprising, given our league position and the financial commitment Evans is making.

No matter how you spin it, the reality is there is a 'huge' question mark over whether these will 'add' the quality needed to get us out of this hole.

It's not impossible, as you say, but nothing so far, this season, suggests we'll see a major upturn in results (not performance but results).

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:01 - Jan 9 with 3229 viewsJ2BLUE

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:59 - Jan 9 by homer_123

With the best will in the world J2, given you current situation, the players we are signing are not at all surprising, given our league position and the financial commitment Evans is making.

No matter how you spin it, the reality is there is a 'huge' question mark over whether these will 'add' the quality needed to get us out of this hole.

It's not impossible, as you say, but nothing so far, this season, suggests we'll see a major upturn in results (not performance but results).

We need to up our results to 1.22 points per game rather than 0.8. On paper at least.

It's funny how so many said we shold give up and prepare for league one and now those same people are getting upset that we're not signing better players.

Truly impaired.

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:02 - Jan 9 with 3227 viewsHarry_Palmer

No, if we were in League One I would be pretty happy with these signings to be honest, and the same as now I would be prepared to give them a chance before making a firm judgement.

People seem to be upset that we have not splashed out on Gestede and Leadbitter but neither player has pulled up too many trees recently and they would come with absolutely no guarantees in terms of major impact.

The type of players that would are simply well out of our reach. What I would say is that we must further strengthen our backline in this window and I will be very disappointed if we don't try to do this.
While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:04 - Jan 9 with 3208 viewsBent_double

I think we all know that the January window is not the time to be signing the best players.

Clubs who want to buy are usually desperate, and end up paying over the odds for players they want.

Clubs who still have a lot to play for themselves don't really want to sell, and players playing for teams near the top of one league probably don't want to gamble to go to a team right at the bottom of a higher league - unless the wages/bonuses on offer really are crazy.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:05 - Jan 9 with 3204 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:54 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

We don't need to overtake Rotherham to stay up. We need to overtake three clubs.

So your presumption is that Rotherham continue to be as bad as they are (better than us), Bolton and Reading (also better than us) carry on as they are, but Ipswich are the only one of the four to get better.

Unless you're allowing for at least one of those teams to get better in which case we need to get better still!

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:05 - Jan 9 with 3195 viewsFenboyBlue

Heck I'm no expert on how players contracts are written up with fiddly clauses and what has worked at other clubs to drag a team off the bottom. But how about the owner speaking to the current players with words to the effect "right it's obvious our current predicament, time for collectively pulling your fingers out, I will give out extra win bonuses when you lot start winning games". Surely he could calculate a win bonus kitty upper threshold that is less than the cost of getting relegated. Some sort of no-nonsense mercenary incentive might do the trick. It can't do any worse can it ?
While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:05 - Jan 9 with 3194 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:02 - Jan 9 by Harry_Palmer

No, if we were in League One I would be pretty happy with these signings to be honest, and the same as now I would be prepared to give them a chance before making a firm judgement.

People seem to be upset that we have not splashed out on Gestede and Leadbitter but neither player has pulled up too many trees recently and they would come with absolutely no guarantees in terms of major impact.

The type of players that would are simply well out of our reach. What I would say is that we must further strengthen our backline in this window and I will be very disappointed if we don't try to do this.

I know a boro fan who says that Leadbitters legs have gone.

Not what we need!!

And as you say, Gestede hasnt done that much recently.

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:06 - Jan 9 with 3193 viewshomer_123

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:01 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

We need to up our results to 1.22 points per game rather than 0.8. On paper at least.

It's funny how so many said we shold give up and prepare for league one and now those same people are getting upset that we're not signing better players.

Agreed, on paper that's not impossible just, sadly, very unlikely.

I agree re. your second observation.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:07 - Jan 9 with 3183 viewsJ2BLUE

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:05 - Jan 9 by WarkTheWarkITFC

We don't need to overtake Rotherham to stay up. We need to overtake three clubs.

So your presumption is that Rotherham continue to be as bad as they are (better than us), Bolton and Reading (also better than us) carry on as they are, but Ipswich are the only one of the four to get better.

Unless you're allowing for at least one of those teams to get better in which case we need to get better still!

Did you even read my post? I said all that in the post.

Rotherham are level with us in the form table. Reading and Bolton are below us.

Truly impaired.

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:09 - Jan 9 with 3166 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:07 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

Did you even read my post? I said all that in the post.

Rotherham are level with us in the form table. Reading and Bolton are below us.

You are talking bout them playing like Man City. Out of the three clubs above us directly, the odds are that either one or two will have a better second half of the season on a pure 50/50 chance.

You are banking on none of them doing so, but us doing so. If two of those teams have better second halves of the season, we need to be near promotion form probably, more like 1.8 points per game.

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:13 - Jan 9 with 3134 viewsJ2BLUE

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:09 - Jan 9 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You are talking bout them playing like Man City. Out of the three clubs above us directly, the odds are that either one or two will have a better second half of the season on a pure 50/50 chance.

You are banking on none of them doing so, but us doing so. If two of those teams have better second halves of the season, we need to be near promotion form probably, more like 1.8 points per game.

I did say it was in theory. What you are forgetting though is that Reading need to make up 0.26 points per game just to get to Rotherham's level. Bolton need to make up 0.16 per game. So even if they have a better second half of the season they are unlikely to improve enough to change the figures. Even if they do it's not going to go from 1.22 to 1.8. That is simply you trying to make the figures fit what you want to say. It's not going to happen in reality.

Truly impaired.

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:19 - Jan 9 with 3111 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:13 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

I did say it was in theory. What you are forgetting though is that Reading need to make up 0.26 points per game just to get to Rotherham's level. Bolton need to make up 0.16 per game. So even if they have a better second half of the season they are unlikely to improve enough to change the figures. Even if they do it's not going to go from 1.22 to 1.8. That is simply you trying to make the figures fit what you want to say. It's not going to happen in reality.

1.8 points per game from now on puts us around 56 points. Rotherham have 25 points, so would need 1.55 points per game to get to that.

More likely that Rotherham carry on as they are and end up on say 46 points. We still need to get 31 points then which is 1.55 points per game.

That is THREE times better than we have averaged this season, if Rotherham stay as bad as they have been.

Even with Bolton and Reading being abysmal and Rotherham completely capitulating we'd need to double our output!

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:26 - Jan 9 with 3085 viewsJ2BLUE

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:19 - Jan 9 by WarkTheWarkITFC

1.8 points per game from now on puts us around 56 points. Rotherham have 25 points, so would need 1.55 points per game to get to that.

More likely that Rotherham carry on as they are and end up on say 46 points. We still need to get 31 points then which is 1.55 points per game.

That is THREE times better than we have averaged this season, if Rotherham stay as bad as they have been.

Even with Bolton and Reading being abysmal and Rotherham completely capitulating we'd need to double our output!

You've used the entire season to get that figure which is fair enough. I used the form table.

Lets come back at the end of the season and see who was closest

Truly impaired.

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:29 - Jan 9 with 3071 viewsVic

Agreed.

I don’t think these are the players (Keane excepted) that PL had on his original list!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:31 - Jan 9 with 3057 viewsMrTown

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:49 - Jan 9 by wkj

So why can't we look elsewhere and offer good terms to someone else.

Instead we've panic bought a player who looks like he needs 3 months to get to match fitness.

Who does Simon Dawkins start ahead of, from what I saw he is 4th string behind; Lankester, Edwards, Sears.

Should have reassessed next week, or have a fecking contingency plan. We are terrible in transfer windows.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:32 - Jan 9 with 3050 viewsVic

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 16:53 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Ah yeah, I bet Lambert hasnt spoken to any of those bigger clubs. You'd better suggest it to him.

I bet he has too - and then discovered that ME won’t pay the price necessary to buy or pay them. In other words he’d rather us go down than pay the necessary to give us a chance of staying up.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:34 - Jan 9 with 3039 viewsHarry_Palmer

While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 17:09 - Jan 9 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I don't think Wigan can be completely ruled out of the equation, their form could continue on the downward spiral that it is currently.
While we don't know how any of them will turn out on 19:11 - Jan 9 with 2906 viewsLeagueOne

There is a reason Sunderland haven't signed them, because if they wanted them we couldn't match the money let alone improve the offer!

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024