Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Four Four Two piece 14:06 - Jan 10 with 1876 viewsPositivelyPortman

I don’t know if this has been posted yet, but here it is anyway.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ipswich-town-drowning-a-sea-despair-and-suf

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Four Four Two piece on 14:10 - Jan 10 with 1843 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Oh god.

Same old ill researched, be careful what you wish for rubbish.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Four Four Two piece on 14:12 - Jan 10 with 1821 viewsPositivelyPortman

Four Four Two piece on 14:10 - Jan 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Oh god.

My thoughts too.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Four Four Two piece on 14:12 - Jan 10 with 1816 viewsSomethingBlue

Oh god.

It's actually a pretty good piece. The author is good at this stuff.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Four Four Two piece on 14:13 - Jan 10 with 1807 viewsITFC_Forever

Last paragraph.... 14th consecutive season? Pfft.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Four Four Two piece on 14:14 - Jan 10 with 1801 viewsTractorCam

Four Four Two piece on 14:12 - Jan 10 by SomethingBlue

I agree, it has a small mention of how we would all crave being mid table at least with also mentioning how he told fans to f*** off and numbskulls.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Four Four Two piece on 14:14 - Jan 10 with 1794 viewsiamipswich

Oh god.

I thought this was better than the usual nonsense. Basically said it was perfectly understandable for McCarthy to go, but what happened next was the disaster.

Feel he was slightly pointing the finger at Evans for naively giving Hurst so much freedom.

Poll: Who will return first?

Four Four Two piece on 14:15 - Jan 10 with 1790 viewsSWGF

Oh god.

The middle sections seem pretty spot-on, don't they?

"But then the McCarthy argument was never about the league table. The reality is that the relationship between manager and club (and certainly its fans) had deteriorated to a point of natural separation. McCarthy’s contract was up, attendances were dwindling and Ipswich didn’t score a home goal between January 13 and April 2. The manager had called supporters “numbskulls” and “a disgrace”, and accused them of ruining home matches. He infamously told them to “f*** off” when Ipswich took the lead against Norwich in the East Anglia derby.

Under McCarthy, supporters felt, Ipswich had lost the ability to dream. Home games were dire, and tedium is an effective killer of hope. But that only holds resonance if the alternative is not outright disaster. No home supporter can pretend that they have enjoyed 2018/19 more than 2017/18. The comparison flatters neither season.
Muddled thinking

Ipswich and Evans’s error was not in trying something fresh and forward-thinking, but believing that the dream could be achieved without substance and sense. Ipswich made a series of mistakes last summer that strangled the masterplan until it lay crumpled on the floor. It is reminiscent of Crystal Palace’s appointment of Frank de Boer, who was tasked with reinventing the club’s ethos post-Sam Allardyce but given very few, if any, of the tools to do so.

The biggest error was in placing so much faith in Hurst’s transfer market vision. Ipswich lost their top four goalscorers from 2017/18 (they sold David McGoldrick, Martyn Waghorn and Joe Garner, while Bersant Celina’s loan deal ended) and offloaded defender Adam Webster to Bristol City for £3.5m. As a response, Hurst was permitted to sign seven players on permanent deals from lower-league clubs, including two from former side Shrewsbury.

Only one of those seven players started Ipswich’s last Championship game. Allowing a new manager to control transfer activity is a foolish risk for any club, given the typical shelf-life of a Football League boss. One individual hands out lengthy contracts to those who are likely to comfortably outlast him. Hurst created an unbalanced squad that Lambert has inherited.

It was also overlooked just how much better McCarthy’s relationship was with his players than supporters. They lost their granite, what-you-see-is-what-you-get confidante and gained an unfamiliar face who floundered having taken a step up. One of the arguments against managerial long-termism is that it creates enormous uncertainty among key players who struggle to acclimatise to a new regime, having grown accustomed to the predecessor’s ways."

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Four Four Two piece on 14:16 - Jan 10 with 1771 viewsSteve_M

Four Four Two piece on 14:14 - Jan 10 by TractorCam

I agree, it has a small mention of how we would all crave being mid table at least with also mentioning how he told fans to f*** off and numbskulls.

All within the same paragraph too.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2019 14:17]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Four Four Two piece on 14:20 - Jan 10 with 1746 viewshorsehollerer

Four Four Two piece on 14:12 - Jan 10 by PositivelyPortman

My thoughts too.

I actually think it's one of the more balanced BCWYWF pieces I've read.

The only part I don't care for is his assumption that we would all gladly return to Mick's brand of mid-table mediocrity at the drop of a hat. I don't want what we have right now, but I don't want that again either. I'm glad we took a risk, I just wished we'd done a better job of managing that risk.

Also, isn't it this our 17th consecutive season in the Championship, not 14th?

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Four Four Two piece on 14:21 - Jan 10 with 1738 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Four Four Two piece on 14:14 - Jan 10 by TractorCam

I guess it just winds me up, the mere mention of it is patronising. It suggests that the 'fans' were too thick to consider that losing MM might be a risk.

...however, as we all know, this mess is about far more than losing Mick.

That argument relies on the idea that MM was guaranteed to have kept us up.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

It's pretty good imo on 14:26 - Jan 10 with 1694 viewsDyland

Oh god.

The only incorrect part is the number of seasons in the Champ. The rest is very balanced and it's hard to argue with any of it.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Four Four Two piece on 14:36 - Jan 10 with 1655 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well I don't recognise myself as one of those 'supporters' he purports to read the mind of.

And what's with all this 'careful what you wish for' malarkey, followed swiftly by 'But then the McCarthy argument was never about the league table. The reality is that the relationship between manager and club (and certainly its fans) had deteriorated to a point of natural separation.' Quite. Why have the intro implying the fans were stupid to be supportive of a change?

A very poor start to the piece imo.

Although he his right about the lack of substance and sense in trying to implement the 'plan' (I use the word loosely). And the risk in letting the manager have sole control of transfers (I couldn't believe it when ME came out and said he was surprised at the amount of activity in the summer).

All of these are recurring themes of the last 11 years that we should have learnt lessons from.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

You're inferring quite a bit here Swanners on 14:54 - Jan 10 with 1599 viewsDyland

Four Four Two piece on 14:36 - Jan 10 by Swansea_Blue

Well I don't recognise myself as one of those 'supporters' he purports to read the mind of.

And what's with all this 'careful what you wish for' malarkey, followed swiftly by 'But then the McCarthy argument was never about the league table. The reality is that the relationship between manager and club (and certainly its fans) had deteriorated to a point of natural separation.' Quite. Why have the intro implying the fans were stupid to be supportive of a change?

A very poor start to the piece imo.

Although he his right about the lack of substance and sense in trying to implement the 'plan' (I use the word loosely). And the risk in letting the manager have sole control of transfers (I couldn't believe it when ME came out and said he was surprised at the amount of activity in the summer).

All of these are recurring themes of the last 11 years that we should have learnt lessons from.

"... implying the fans were stupid to be supportive of a change?"

I didn't read any fan put downs into the piece at all. Came across pretty balanced to me and doesn't scoff at fans but is rather critical of the lack of proper plan and support when it came to change.

At its heart, the article is about something a few of us have commented on with regard McCarthy's total control of football matters and the relative longevity of his tenure, with no emergency brake in place for Hurst and gang.

And this is Evans' failure, 100%.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Four Four Two piece on 14:57 - Jan 10 with 1575 viewsartsbossbeard

Four Four Two piece on 14:21 - Jan 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

I guess it just winds me up, the mere mention of it is patronising. It suggests that the 'fans' were too thick to consider that losing MM might be a risk.

...however, as we all know, this mess is about far more than losing Mick.

That argument relies on the idea that MM was guaranteed to have kept us up.

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Four Four Two piece on 16:30 - Jan 10 with 1406 viewsDarth_Koont

Four Four Two piece on 14:12 - Jan 10 by SomethingBlue

Indeed. As a taking-a-step-back summary of the last year or so, it's pretty much spot on.

The 14th year in the Championship is the only obvious error but even that doesn't change the essence of the statement.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024