Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) 00:13 - Jan 11 with 2510 viewsFootballpete

[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 0:13]

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 07:01 - Jan 11 with 2421 viewsbluelagos

That was borderline ridiculous wasn't it.

In contrast, I was pleasantly surprised / impressed with the way Fiona Bruce managed QT last night. Think she'll be a very good host.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 08:02 - Jan 11 with 2372 viewsStokieBlue

He's acted like a brat just like he did on sky a few years back when he walked out.

The issue with Jones is that the valid points he has get lost behind his behaviour and bias. Portillo was right in what he said about him and how he views things.

A few weeks back he wrote an article about how it was right a Labour MP got social housing even though that would seem to go against virtually all that current Labour stand for, it was fine because she's a JC supporter.

His behaviour towards the end of that discussion was ridiculous though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 08:15 - Jan 11 with 2338 viewsbluelagos

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 08:02 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

He's acted like a brat just like he did on sky a few years back when he walked out.

The issue with Jones is that the valid points he has get lost behind his behaviour and bias. Portillo was right in what he said about him and how he views things.

A few weeks back he wrote an article about how it was right a Labour MP got social housing even though that would seem to go against virtually all that current Labour stand for, it was fine because she's a JC supporter.

SB

I felt OJ looked upset/rattled over the harassment he got the other day. He made a valid point over the consistent use of 'traitor' by extreme hard right thugs, some of who have ventured into terrorist actions.

I think his performance last night was in part down to that.

And I didnt think Andrew Neil's performance was much better either.

A low point for me, in what is usually an informative show.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 08:19 - Jan 11 with 2328 viewsitfcjoe

SB

Owen Jones is a strange one, I like a lot of what he writes - or should I say wrote - but now he is back in Camp Corbyn he has lost all balance, objectivity and intellect and is now just a cheerleader.

Andrew Neil no better really on the show

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 08:20 - Jan 11 with 2327 viewsStokieBlue

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 08:15 - Jan 11 by bluelagos

I felt OJ looked upset/rattled over the harassment he got the other day. He made a valid point over the consistent use of 'traitor' by extreme hard right thugs, some of who have ventured into terrorist actions.

I think his performance last night was in part down to that.

And I didnt think Andrew Neil's performance was much better either.

A low point for me, in what is usually an informative show.

The thing is it's not a one off from Jones.

Whenever he is challenged he acts that. He and nobody else should have to deal with abuse but if you don't agree with him you're part of the problem.

For instance, what Portillo said on smearing was spot on but it was outside his narrative so he got upset at him.

Neil wasn't great but he was right on that but being the time or place to discuss the spectator. Jones switched to that as they weren't agreeing with him.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 8:22]

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 10:45 - Jan 11 with 2198 viewsCoachRob

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 08:20 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

The thing is it's not a one off from Jones.

Whenever he is challenged he acts that. He and nobody else should have to deal with abuse but if you don't agree with him you're part of the problem.

For instance, what Portillo said on smearing was spot on but it was outside his narrative so he got upset at him.

Neil wasn't great but he was right on that but being the time or place to discuss the spectator. Jones switched to that as they weren't agreeing with him.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 8:22]

Neil's past is starting to catch up with him and with the rise of the far right he is clearly worried his previous behaviour will discredit him as a mainstream media commentator. Typical of the "middle classes" to answer; move along, nothing to see here, just a highly educated gay journalist with an accent shouting on the telly.

Jones was trying to push a valid narrative about the MSM in this country and Neil countered by mentioning other countries as he often does to obsfucate a discussion. Neil never directly answered Jones on whether the far right was influenced by the right wing media. His Spectator links was part of the discussion but he refused to debate.

Jones does struggle to hold his narrative in an argument but that doesn't mean his argument isn't valid.
Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 10:51 - Jan 11 with 2177 viewsStokieBlue

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 10:45 - Jan 11 by CoachRob

Neil's past is starting to catch up with him and with the rise of the far right he is clearly worried his previous behaviour will discredit him as a mainstream media commentator. Typical of the "middle classes" to answer; move along, nothing to see here, just a highly educated gay journalist with an accent shouting on the telly.

Jones was trying to push a valid narrative about the MSM in this country and Neil countered by mentioning other countries as he often does to obsfucate a discussion. Neil never directly answered Jones on whether the far right was influenced by the right wing media. His Spectator links was part of the discussion but he refused to debate.

Jones does struggle to hold his narrative in an argument but that doesn't mean his argument isn't valid.

It wasn't the right place to discuss the Spectator, he wasn't on to do that, he only did that because he was having trouble justifying his points to Portillo who remained very calm.

Jones is incredibly narrative driven and doesn't listen to anyone who doesn't agree with him.

Do you think he would have written this article if it was a Tory MP?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/28/mp-council-housing-labour-

It would have been exactly the opposite article about how social housing is a safety net for the most needy in our society and it was a disgrace that someone earning upwards of 70k a year was taking up social housing which was urgently needed by the less well off.

SB

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 10:54 - Jan 11 with 2166 viewsfooters

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 10:51 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

It wasn't the right place to discuss the Spectator, he wasn't on to do that, he only did that because he was having trouble justifying his points to Portillo who remained very calm.

Jones is incredibly narrative driven and doesn't listen to anyone who doesn't agree with him.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/28/mp-council-housing-labour-

It would have been exactly the opposite article about how social housing is a safety net for the most needy in our society and it was a disgrace that someone earning upwards of 70k a year was taking up social housing which was urgently needed by the less well off.

SB

Didn't see the interview last night so can't really comment. But I have met Owen Jones quite a few times and can confirm that he's a lovely bloke if not a bit simplistic and over-excitable. I think it's just his immaturity showing.

That said, as we always say with young footballers, he's not a kid anymore- needs to grow up and calm down a bit. But his heart's in the right place.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 10:54 - Jan 11 with 2166 viewsSomethingBlue

You don't have to agree with everything Jones says in order to agree that Neil needs calling out as often as possible. This was a fairly good start.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 11:46 - Jan 11 with 2101 viewsNo9

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 10:45 - Jan 11 by CoachRob

Mr Neil is a part of the right wing but never reveals just how for right he is.
His employers are tax avoiders with undue influnece on the Conservative party
He should never be allowed to present political programmes where he manipulates it.
It does no good for democracy that he is allowed too.
Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 12:33 - Jan 11 with 2045 viewsClapham_Junction

SB

I think your wording here is slightly misleading; this isn't a case of a Labour MP getting social housing - it's someone who lives in social housing becoming an MP, which is rather different.

As someone heavily involved in the social housing sector, I have no problem at all with cases like this. People should be entitled to stay in their homes (this is how they need to be thought of) as long as they want, and issues like this detract from the root cause of there being a shortage of stock caused by terrible government policies.
Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 12:34 - Jan 11 with 2044 viewsCoachRob

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 10:51 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

SB

The narrative was the right wing press and its influence on the far right - The Spectator has to be included in this debate. What social housing has to do with whether the mainstream media are a direct influence on the far right is anyone guess.

If you want to speak about housing go and speak to Duncan Bowie (UCL) he can put you right on some of those misapprehensions you have about the housing market.
Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 13:27 - Jan 11 with 1963 viewsStokieBlue

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 12:33 - Jan 11 by Clapham_Junction

I think your wording here is slightly misleading; this isn't a case of a Labour MP getting social housing - it's someone who lives in social housing becoming an MP, which is rather different.

As someone heavily involved in the social housing sector, I have no problem at all with cases like this. People should be entitled to stay in their homes (this is how they need to be thought of) as long as they want, and issues like this detract from the root cause of there being a shortage of stock caused by terrible government policies.

That's a fair point and is covered in the article I linked.

My point still stand about whether he wouldn't have written that article if it was a Tory - I seriously doubt it would have had anything like the same slant.

SB

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 13:28 - Jan 11 with 1960 viewsStokieBlue

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 12:34 - Jan 11 by CoachRob

The narrative was the right wing press and its influence on the far right - The Spectator has to be included in this debate. What social housing has to do with whether the mainstream media are a direct influence on the far right is anyone guess.

If you want to speak about housing go and speak to Duncan Bowie (UCL) he can put you right on some of those misapprehensions you have about the housing market.

What misapprehensions are those? I've not given a view past this one case so interested to hear what you've decided I believe.

SB

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 16:03 - Jan 11 with 1867 viewsNo9

Andrew Neil and Owen Jones get on well. (n/t) on 12:33 - Jan 11 by Clapham_Junction

Wasn't it the case that the first labour PM had no furniture to put in No.10 so the laws were changed to have No.10 furnished by the state?

Democracy at work
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024