Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Got round to watching the Brexit movie last night 11:32 - Jan 11 with 524 viewsDarth_Koont

And for a staunch Remainer like me, I was surprised that the individual whose views I most identified with was Cummings.

I think his reading of the UK political situation and the Establishment that had ignored too many disenfranchised and disadvantaged people for so long was spot on.

The mistake he made was in targeting the EU and a Leave campaign to prove his point so emphatically. I'm a Remainer largely because the EU is a necessary buffer and counterbalance to our political system.

I've since heard him say that the reason he regrets Brexit failing was that the referendum should have ushered in a new breed of politicians who would make a difference. But for someone otherwise so sharp, that was a ridiculously naive misreading of the likely outcome. The "Establishment" was always going to pivot and pitch itself towards the populist interpretation of the referendum result, epitomised by May shamelessly going from strong Remainer to dog-whistling, hard Brexiteer in a matter of weeks ... and getting away with it!

On a side note, the use of social media and algorithms to target voters surely needs to be looked at for the long-term health of democracy. The volume of targeted ads and the technical sophistication seems to be about creating a perception of reality and engineering a response that voters themselves don't really understand. I know it's the same rhetoric we see in the mainstream but this stuff is so far under the radar and potentially more akin to brainwashing.

Pronouns: He/Him

Got round to watching the Brexit movie last night on 11:35 - Jan 11 with 505 viewsStokieBlue

It should be possible to stop the targeting of voters. More robust legislation around the passing on of users data or scraping websites for data would starve the algorithms of their vital ingredient.

An algorithm can be as advanced as you like but without data it's useless.

As you go on to say, is it really that much different to when the Sun had 10m+ readers and could push it's agenda however it liked? I guess there was at least ombudsman to attempt to keep them in check.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 11:36]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Got round to watching the Brexit movie last night on 11:47 - Jan 11 with 455 viewsDarth_Koont

Got round to watching the Brexit movie last night on 11:35 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

It should be possible to stop the targeting of voters. More robust legislation around the passing on of users data or scraping websites for data would starve the algorithms of their vital ingredient.

An algorithm can be as advanced as you like but without data it's useless.

As you go on to say, is it really that much different to when the Sun had 10m+ readers and could push it's agenda however it liked? I guess there was at least ombudsman to attempt to keep them in check.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 11:36]

Yep, no different in essence. It's always been pretty shameful how our unbalanced and unhinged press could effectively buy an election result for their proprietors.

But at least that was out in the open. The Leave campaign continued to hammer the 350 million and Turkey lies even after that was dealt with and disproved during the mainstream news cycle. If the Sun had continued to do that at a front-page level like the social media ads are pitched then there'd at least have been continued debate and no doubt censure along the way.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024