Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. 19:28 - Jan 11 with 12039 viewsDanTheMan

So a few nights ago it sounded like the fire alarm was beeping. Even though the fire alarms are mains powered I replaced the batteries in both and the noise seemed to stop beeping after I tested the alarms.

Last night the beeping returned. Took the alarms off again thinking maybe one of them is faulty and the beeping continued. Sounds like it's coming from the hall but there is nothing else electric there other than a light. At around 3am it just stopped beeping.

Now it's started again so did the same thing, took the alarms and and stuck them in a completely different room to the sound. Turned the mains off and... Still bloody beeping. Checked the loft, moved the insulation and there's nothing there.

Any idea what the fook it could be before I get an emergency callout? I can't have another night's sleep with it going.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:08 - Jan 11 with 2538 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:07 - Jan 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

If only I could do it on demand.........I have always said that electrickery is 'white man's magic !'

Edit.....I need an electrician's explanation or will have to give consideration to communication from the after life!
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 20:09]

Good one, Bulb Man.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:14 - Jan 11 with 2522 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:08 - Jan 11 by SpruceMoose

Good one, Bulb Man.

For the avoidance of any doubt this absolutely 100% happened......scout's honour.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:14 - Jan 11 with 2517 viewsghostofescobar

Have you got a really small truck reversing somewhere?

GhostOfEscobar

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:15 - Jan 11 with 2520 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:58 - Jan 11 by Guthrum

It's definitely not the smoke alarms? A lot of the newer ones have fixed internal batteries, which cannot be changed (you have to replace the whole unit).

100% as we took them literally outside to be sure we weren't going mad.

Just had an electrician over and he thinks someone has left a fire alarm in either the ceiling or floor.

I think we're going to have to wait for the battery to die...

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:16 - Jan 11 with 2510 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:15 - Jan 11 by DanTheMan

Just had an electrician over and he thinks someone has left a fire alarm in either the ceiling or floor.

What will happen first? You go insane or the battery fails? Stay tuned folks!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:17 - Jan 11 with 2508 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:15 - Jan 11 by DanTheMan

I may be able to suck the power out of it for you!

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:17 - Jan 11 with 2505 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:17 - Jan 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

I may be able to suck the power out of it for you!

Bet that's not the first time you've said that to someone!

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:17 - Jan 11 with 2504 viewsPecker

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:58 - Jan 11 by Guthrum

It's definitely not the smoke alarms? A lot of the newer ones have fixed internal batteries, which cannot be changed (you have to replace the whole unit).

He changed the batteries in his, so his has batteries.
Login to get fewer ads

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:21 - Jan 11 with 2486 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:16 - Jan 11 by SpruceMoose

What will happen first? You go insane or the battery fails? Stay tuned folks!

My tolerance for noise whilst trying to get to sleep isn't great so for betting people I'd recommend going for the mystery beeping noise.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:21 - Jan 11 with 2486 viewsBlueorder

Midwife toads.
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:22 - Jan 11 with 2485 viewsPecker

Good luck. Ear plugs for bed time.
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:25 - Jan 11 with 2470 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:22 - Jan 11 by Pecker

Good luck. Ear plugs for bed time.

Rain sounds and headphones have got me through a few hostels when turned up maximum.

Also a few glasses of wine.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:38 - Jan 11 with 2443 viewssparks

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:07 - Jan 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

If only I could do it on demand.........I have always said that electrickery is 'white man's magic !'

Edit.....I need an electrician's explanation or will have to give consideration to communication from the after life!
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 20:09]

Answerphone?

Or some git outside with a stupid car alarm or something?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:45 - Jan 11 with 2429 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

Had the same problem months ago, only to realise after a couple of nights of no sleep that it was the carbon monoxide detector that I’d forgotten about
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:45 - Jan 11 with 2418 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:38 - Jan 11 by sparks

Answerphone?

Or some git outside with a stupid car alarm or something?

My powers seem to be limited to one particular light bulb for now.....other household gadgets will have to wait.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 21:05 - Jan 11 with 2404 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:45 - Jan 11 by backwiththeboysagain

Had the same problem months ago, only to realise after a couple of nights of no sleep that it was the carbon monoxide detector that I’d forgotten about

It could be that in the floor. But the only one we have we also stuck outside to eliminate.

We've come to the conclusion that the lazy bar steward here before us has left a battery smoke alarm in the floor upstairs.

Another exciting find from the man who:
- Wired the house himself but didn't earth any of the plug sockets
- Built the conservatory (that he bought off eBay) with his mother which is held together with tape
- Left a clamp behind the shed
- Buried a sink in the garden
- Planted a Eucalyptus tree in the corner of the garden next to the fence, telling next door it was only a small bush, which then obviously grew incredibly large and nearly ripped their shed up.

I'm going to get a new build next time.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 9:21]

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 21:07 - Jan 11 with 2392 viewseireblue

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 21:05 - Jan 11 by DanTheMan

It could be that in the floor. But the only one we have we also stuck outside to eliminate.

We've come to the conclusion that the lazy bar steward here before us has left a battery smoke alarm in the floor upstairs.

- Built the conservatory (that he bought off eBay) with his mother which is held together with tape
- Planted a Eucalyptus tree in the corner of the garden next to the fence, telling next door it was only a small bush, which then obviously grew incredibly large and nearly ripped their shed up.

You can get mothers on eBay now?
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 21:16 - Jan 11 with 2373 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 21:07 - Jan 11 by eireblue

You can get mothers on eBay now?

Only if you know the right search terms.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 21:22 - Jan 11 with 2372 viewsPlums

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 21:05 - Jan 11 by DanTheMan

I think we live fairly close to you and that sounds horrifically like our house when we moved in:

All upstairs drains running up hill.
Painted round fish tanks so we had different coloured blocks on the wall.
Uncapped disused soil pipe drain so we had a rodent incursion until I found the damn thing.
Unearthed kitchen sockets.
Sockets on the oven circuit and vice versa.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 22:08]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 21:37 - Jan 11 with 2351 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 21:22 - Jan 11 by Plums

I think we live fairly close to you and that sounds horrifically like our house when we moved in:

All upstairs drains running up hill.
Painted round fish tanks so we had different coloured blocks on the wall.
Uncapped disused soil pipe drain so we had a rodent incursion until I found the damn thing.
Unearthed kitchen sockets.
Sockets on the oven circuit and vice versa.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 22:08]

Well I know he had a few houses in the area so may well be the same guy!

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 22:13 - Jan 11 with 2323 viewswkj

Happened to me once, turned out to be my synthetic love doll getting low on batteries - time to fire a couple of new d cells up her i reckon

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 09:01 - Jan 12 with 2221 viewsjjblue84

Technology has failed us!
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 09:16 - Jan 12 with 2203 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 09:01 - Jan 12 by jjblue84

Technology has failed us!

I dunno, the batteries seem to be doing a bloody good job unfortunately.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 09:17 - Jan 12 with 2202 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 22:13 - Jan 11 by wkj

Happened to me once, turned out to be my synthetic love doll getting low on batteries - time to fire a couple of new d cells up her i reckon

That was the first thing I checked.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 09:17 - Jan 12 with 2202 viewsMJallday

He’s found it

Plan b initiatated. Retrieve the device

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024