Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. 19:28 - Jan 11 with 11814 viewsDanTheMan

So a few nights ago it sounded like the fire alarm was beeping. Even though the fire alarms are mains powered I replaced the batteries in both and the noise seemed to stop beeping after I tested the alarms.

Last night the beeping returned. Took the alarms off again thinking maybe one of them is faulty and the beeping continued. Sounds like it's coming from the hall but there is nothing else electric there other than a light. At around 3am it just stopped beeping.

Now it's started again so did the same thing, took the alarms and and stuck them in a completely different room to the sound. Turned the mains off and... Still bloody beeping. Checked the loft, moved the insulation and there's nothing there.

Any idea what the fook it could be before I get an emergency callout? I can't have another night's sleep with it going.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:28 - Jan 11 with 4278 viewsSpruceMoose

It's definitely your place and not a neighbours?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:30 - Jan 11 with 4268 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:28 - Jan 11 by SpruceMoose

It's definitely your place and not a neighbours?

Wouldn't make sense as the hallway is in the middle of the house although at this point I'd believe anything.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:32 - Jan 11 with 4244 viewsBluefish

Were you at the checkout when you heard it?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:33 - Jan 11 with 4239 viewsyesjohn99

Carbon monoxide detector?
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:34 - Jan 11 with 4232 viewsJ2BLUE

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:30 - Jan 11 by DanTheMan

Wouldn't make sense as the hallway is in the middle of the house although at this point I'd believe anything.

IS your loft in the hallway? Could it be Christmas decorations put back up there or something?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:34 - Jan 11 with 4233 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:30 - Jan 11 by DanTheMan

Anything unusual about your light fitting? I've seen lights with a back up battery function for night lights etc.

Sources of weird beeps in my house:

Faulty fridge door open alarm
Carbon Monoxide battery

Neither of those sound helpful though
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 19:35]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:35 - Jan 11 with 4226 viewsDanTheMan

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:33 - Jan 11 by yesjohn99

Carbon monoxide detector?

Checked that, sounds like it's in the ceiling though which is what is baffling.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:37 - Jan 11 with 4209 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:35 - Jan 11 by DanTheMan

Checked that, sounds like it's in the ceiling though which is what is baffling.

Sounds like a modern day Tell-Tale Heart to me.

Login to get fewer ads

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:47 - Jan 11 with 4155 viewsBloomBlue

It's your hearing, it's going
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:50 - Jan 11 with 4141 viewsPlums

Have you got a new cooker hood? Ours beeps very gently when the filters need cleaning and can be hard to pinpoint.
Other possibilities: fridge - door not closing properly? Door bell (battery/ battery backup), burglar alarm (battery backup)

Edit. Sorry, just realised you said you’d turned the mains off and it continued so it must be a battery. Is there any chance there’s a sonic pest deterrent in the loft?
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 19:52]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:51 - Jan 11 with 4134 viewsRamRob

Have any old smoke alarms in a drawer/cupboard somewhere?
Error on alarm panel (if you have one)

You could Turn mains power off to check if it's something battery powered or not, I had a extension cord at work that kept making a weird beeping sound

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:54 - Jan 11 with 4115 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:51 - Jan 11 by RamRob

Have any old smoke alarms in a drawer/cupboard somewhere?
Error on alarm panel (if you have one)

You could Turn mains power off to check if it's something battery powered or not, I had a extension cord at work that kept making a weird beeping sound

Heart Monitor?

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:55 - Jan 11 with 4114 viewsEwan_Oozami

Battery in your thermostat?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:56 - Jan 11 with 4113 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:55 - Jan 11 by Ewan_Oozami

Battery in your thermostat?

A Micromachine Transit van reversing?

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:58 - Jan 11 with 4110 viewsGuthrum

It's definitely not the smoke alarms? A lot of the newer ones have fixed internal batteries, which cannot be changed (you have to replace the whole unit).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:58 - Jan 11 with 4103 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:58 - Jan 11 by Guthrum

It's definitely not the smoke alarms? A lot of the newer ones have fixed internal batteries, which cannot be changed (you have to replace the whole unit).

Rip Off Britain in a safety device.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:00 - Jan 11 with 4089 viewsGuthrum

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 19:58 - Jan 11 by SpruceMoose

Rip Off Britain in a safety device.

TBF, they last a lot longer than the older ones.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:01 - Jan 11 with 4093 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well here's one for any electricians out there.....visiting my mum at Christmas and turned on the light in my old man's ex study, it didn't come on so removed it, shook it like you do to see if it rattled, at which point it came on for about a second!😨
When I told my mum and brother about it they said the bulb has a habit of flashing on then off when you turn on the switch and then staying on when you switch it on again.......however lightbulbs coming on when disconnected from the electric supply was new to all of us!!
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 20:02]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:01 - Jan 11 with 4086 viewswitchdoctor

smart meter?
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:02 - Jan 11 with 4078 viewsPecker

I know this will sound daft and you are probably more capable than me, but have you pushed your battery holder firmly back in place. I didn't on ours once and didn't realise.
Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:03 - Jan 11 with 4066 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:00 - Jan 11 by Guthrum

TBF, they last a lot longer than the older ones.

Well how am I supposed to flounce about that!?

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:04 - Jan 11 with 4061 viewsSpruceMoose

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:01 - Jan 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Well here's one for any electricians out there.....visiting my mum at Christmas and turned on the light in my old man's ex study, it didn't come on so removed it, shook it like you do to see if it rattled, at which point it came on for about a second!😨
When I told my mum and brother about it they said the bulb has a habit of flashing on then off when you turn on the switch and then staying on when you switch it on again.......however lightbulbs coming on when disconnected from the electric supply was new to all of us!!
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 20:02]

What a crap superhero origin story.

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:04 - Jan 11 with 4057 viewsgtsb

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:06 - Jan 11 with 4049 viewsKeno

had the battery run down on Mrs TheMan's 'toys'

that can make them beep (the toy not the Mrs)

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:07 - Jan 11 with 4041 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Some advice on a mysterious beeping noise in my house. on 20:04 - Jan 11 by SpruceMoose

What a crap superhero origin story.

If only I could do it on demand.........I have always said that electrickery is 'white man's magic !'

Edit.....I need an electrician's explanation or will have to give consideration to communication from the after life!
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 20:09]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024