Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Andy Murray died? 22:14 - Jan 11 with 5759 viewsslump

I know that he must be disappointed that he's having to give up the game that he's lived year on year but the coverage is a bit OTT

And he's a sweaty...

UTT

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:14 - Jan 12 with 1088 viewsMJallday

Don’t read on if you are in the slightest way a tennis lover

I think Tennis is sh1t

Now we have to put up with Sue Barker and Claire balding fapping themselves off about him to the national conscience like a frozen nail of p1ss through a cabbage - they’ll describe in great detail about how Murray is a national institution and how his mother should have entire towns named after her.

Well listen loves . Yes he’s a sports person , yes he’s won a couple of competitions, well done. However compared to every other tennis player of the last 30 years he pails into insignificance. It would be like comparing my daily drive to a work with Lewis Hamilton or Micheal
Schumacher . You fawn over him like he’s a god and can do no wrong. Let me tell you, he w**ks himself like everyone else does.

There’s something about his mother. A hint of trump about her. Can’t put my finger on it, but I really wouldn’t be surprised if she turned up in parliament . She looks like she’s illuminati

Inevitably he will he voted sports personality of the year By the politically correct bbc. Which is ironic as I thought you had to have a personality to enter.

Personally I think he would be more interesting if he injected heroin into his eyes and drove his Ferrari at 200 miles an hour through London whilst naked, but he won’t do that - so he’s a pr1ck

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:23 - Jan 12 with 1072 viewsRadlett_blue

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:15 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

He deserves all the praise and accolades he is getting today.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 23:21]

Yes, maybe so, but this has been coming for nearly 2 years. He knew hip surgery was a last resort, with maybe a 50-50 chance of resurrecting his career & sadly, it hasn't worked. He knows he can't go on playing in pain & well below his previous level. I would question why he's bothering to play in the Australian Open as he has no chance of winning it and a lop sided defeat on Monday beckons.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:27 - Jan 12 with 1065 viewswkj

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:23 - Jan 12 by Radlett_blue

Yes, maybe so, but this has been coming for nearly 2 years. He knew hip surgery was a last resort, with maybe a 50-50 chance of resurrecting his career & sadly, it hasn't worked. He knows he can't go on playing in pain & well below his previous level. I would question why he's bothering to play in the Australian Open as he has no chance of winning it and a lop sided defeat on Monday beckons.

I can only assume it is so he can have his curtain call and go out with somewhat of high on the wave of support from the crowd. Tennis supporters are usually good at paying respect like that.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:38 - Jan 12 with 1055 viewsRadlett_blue

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:27 - Jan 12 by wkj

I can only assume it is so he can have his curtain call and go out with somewhat of high on the wave of support from the crowd. Tennis supporters are usually good at paying respect like that.

Yes, I think he was planning to do that at Wimbledon this year, which would have been more appropriate, but he's realised the futility of carrying on.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 9:39]

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:40 - Jan 12 with 1052 viewswkj

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:38 - Jan 12 by Radlett_blue

Yes, I think he was planning to do that at Wimbledon this year, which would have been more appropriate, but he's realised the futility of carrying on.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 9:39]

I think so too, personally im amazed he went straight back onto hard courts, not the kind of court you want to play on on the back of rehabilitating from a serious socket surgery.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 9:49]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:47 - Jan 12 with 1045 viewsjaseitfc

Not over the top at all - best British sports professional over the last decade , a class act
Has Andy Murray died? on 11:10 - Jan 12 with 1013 viewsstrikalite

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:47 - Jan 12 by jaseitfc

Not over the top at all - best British sports professional over the last decade , a class act

Put himself through the mill to get to where he did, never said he was the best but competed with the best and easily best Brit tennis player since Fred Perry..

He was upset because it meant everything to him...he knows nothing will ever replace being on court, don't think any of us truly understand that from his level..

God forbid him for showing emotion..

COYB'S!!! :)
Has Andy Murray died? on 11:28 - Jan 12 with 1013 viewsRyorry

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:47 - Jan 12 by jaseitfc

Some people seem to be unaware of, or to have forgotten just what his tennis achievements were - as I had! till I read wiki -

"The only British male to become a Grand Slam singles champion during the Open Era.
The first British player to win a Wimbledon senior singles title since Virginia Wade in 1977
The first British man to win the Men's Singles Championship since Fred Perry, 77 years previously.
The only man in history to have won Olympic Gold and the US Open in the same calendar year.
The third man to hold the Gold Medal and two majors on different surfaces (after Andre Agassi and Rafael Nadal).
The very first tennis player and only man in its history to have won two Olympics Gold Medal in the singles category and on two different surfaces (grass in 2012, and hard 2016)."

One of only 10 men since the Open Era began in 1968 to have reached the final of all four Grand Slam tournaments.[1] By doing so, he joins the rest of the Big Four.

The only man in history to win singles titles at (1) a grand slam, (2), the Olympic Games, (3) a Masters 1000 event, and (4) the World Tour Finals in the same calendar year."

Clinched the first Davis Cup title for GB in 79 years almost single-handed - he was unbeaten in 11 rubbers.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 11:31]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Has Andy Murray died? on 13:16 - Jan 12 with 966 viewsMJallday

Has Andy Murray died? on 11:28 - Jan 12 by Ryorry

Some people seem to be unaware of, or to have forgotten just what his tennis achievements were - as I had! till I read wiki -

"The only British male to become a Grand Slam singles champion during the Open Era.
The first British player to win a Wimbledon senior singles title since Virginia Wade in 1977
The first British man to win the Men's Singles Championship since Fred Perry, 77 years previously.
The only man in history to have won Olympic Gold and the US Open in the same calendar year.
The third man to hold the Gold Medal and two majors on different surfaces (after Andre Agassi and Rafael Nadal).
The very first tennis player and only man in its history to have won two Olympics Gold Medal in the singles category and on two different surfaces (grass in 2012, and hard 2016)."

One of only 10 men since the Open Era began in 1968 to have reached the final of all four Grand Slam tournaments.[1] By doing so, he joins the rest of the Big Four.

The only man in history to win singles titles at (1) a grand slam, (2), the Olympic Games, (3) a Masters 1000 event, and (4) the World Tour Finals in the same calendar year."

Clinched the first Davis Cup title for GB in 79 years almost single-handed - he was unbeaten in 11 rubbers.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 11:31]

However good his achievements in comparison to other British players I’m afraid the pale into insignificance when it comes to his peers

Take any of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, roger federer, raffier Nadal,Novak Djokovic , Marin chilic and at least 100 more and they’ve all done more

It’s more of an indictment on the fact we have a lack of British players rather than anything else
I mean how many British male players over the past 40 can people name really?

Andy Murray, Tim Herman And Greg ruzedski - who was Canadian anyway

Im not demeaning his achievement but in the grander scheme of things “he’s not all that”

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Has Andy Murray died? on 13:27 - Jan 12 with 952 viewsRyorry

Has Andy Murray died? on 13:16 - Jan 12 by MJallday

However good his achievements in comparison to other British players I’m afraid the pale into insignificance when it comes to his peers

Take any of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, roger federer, raffier Nadal,Novak Djokovic , Marin chilic and at least 100 more and they’ve all done more

It’s more of an indictment on the fact we have a lack of British players rather than anything else

Im not demeaning his achievement but in the grander scheme of things “he’s not all that”

"Pales into insignificance"? "Not all that"? "Take any of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, roger federer, raffier Nadal,Novak Djokovic , Marin chilic and at least 100 more and they’ve all done more"? - the last isn't even factually correct.

I think it's more of an indictment that some British people can't or won't see what's in front of them.

His achievements seem to be more recognised by all the top players & tennis community around the world, both past and present, than it is by some on here.

"A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house" etc.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 13:32]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Has Andy Murray died? on 13:39 - Jan 12 with 940 viewseireblue

100 more you say.

Go on then, list them.

Marin ÄŒilić, won’t be in the list.
Has Andy Murray died? on 14:56 - Jan 12 with 913 viewsMJallday

Has Andy Murray died? on 13:39 - Jan 12 by eireblue

100 more you say.

Go on then, list them.

Marin ÄŒilić, won’t be in the list.

use google yourself

i said above, tennis is sh1t

Has Andy Murray died? on 15:23 - Jan 12 with 907 viewsconnorscontract

And yet how many people were spaffing themselves over Gareth Southgate's team coming fourth?

Be fair: Wimbledon is one of the "Crown Jewels" still shown on British tv, and Murray is an instantly recognisable sportsman who achieved a huge amount, was inarguably in the top 4 for pretty much his whole career, and world number one for a short time.

A good comparison is with Alastair Cook's recent retirement. He wasn't even in the top 4 batsmen in the world for most of his career, but was the best for a short time over winter of 2010/11. Cook captained England to Ashes wins, Murray captained GB to the Davis Cup. Murray was also a 2012 Gold medallist, and each of those has received a certain amount of publicity when they have retired. Murray is a bigger figure and achieved more than Cook, and I say that as a part-time Tennis watcher (Wimbledon and Murray in the Grand Slams latter stages) but a big cricket fan (I watch as much as possible of every England Test).

It was repeated all day because that's how 5 Live et al work.

He achieved a huge amount and I'm sure some of the coverage is because of the surprise at the nature of the Press Conference, and sadness that he hasn't been able to go out on his own terms at Wimbledon.
Has Andy Murray died? on 15:51 - Jan 12 with 901 viewsRadlett_blue

Has Andy Murray died? on 15:23 - Jan 12 by connorscontract

And yet how many people were spaffing themselves over Gareth Southgate's team coming fourth?

Be fair: Wimbledon is one of the "Crown Jewels" still shown on British tv, and Murray is an instantly recognisable sportsman who achieved a huge amount, was inarguably in the top 4 for pretty much his whole career, and world number one for a short time.

A good comparison is with Alastair Cook's recent retirement. He wasn't even in the top 4 batsmen in the world for most of his career, but was the best for a short time over winter of 2010/11. Cook captained England to Ashes wins, Murray captained GB to the Davis Cup. Murray was also a 2012 Gold medallist, and each of those has received a certain amount of publicity when they have retired. Murray is a bigger figure and achieved more than Cook, and I say that as a part-time Tennis watcher (Wimbledon and Murray in the Grand Slams latter stages) but a big cricket fan (I watch as much as possible of every England Test).

It was repeated all day because that's how 5 Live et al work.

He achieved a huge amount and I'm sure some of the coverage is because of the surprise at the nature of the Press Conference, and sadness that he hasn't been able to go out on his own terms at Wimbledon.

And Murray will always be rated more highly, like most individual sportsmen, rather than those whose efforts are diluted by being part of a team.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024