Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Many questions for people that may have travelled 14:52 - Jan 12 with 6276 viewsMJallday

my company are sending me to india in 3 weeks

1) has anyone ever been to Chennai - is there much to do there?
2) ive got a 6 hour stop in dubai - is this enough time to get out of the airport and go see the burj khalifa? (indeed, can i get out of the airport!)
3) anyone ever flow business class emerites? whats should i expect? am i goign to kicked out if i turn up in my town away shirt?

i dont get out of hereford much, so any advice appreciated!

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 14:59 - Jan 12 with 5736 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Unlucky.

Be prepared for horrible toilets and a poorly tummy!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 15:01 - Jan 12 with 5719 viewsPendejo

1. You will be arrested as a spy
assuming you've made it that far

2. Leave the airport and you will be arrested as a spy

3. Emirates Business Class shouldn't be too shabby. Which airport?
Birmingham or Heathrow?
As for the town shirt, there is someone high up in Emirates who is a town fan... as long as he's on the plane you'll be alright.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 15:02 - Jan 12 with 5717 viewsMJallday

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 14:59 - Jan 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Unlucky.

oh dont. ive already had the horror stories about cows wandering the streets and basically i cant eat anything out there, ever

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 16:43 - Jan 12 with 5633 viewsParisBlue

I used to fly Emirates a lot. Assuming you're flying from Birmingham make sure you're on the A380 and you'll be fine. Flat beds etc. The food in the lounge is great, I used to get there early and eat and drink there rather than on plane. Emirates also used to offer a chauffeur service to collect you from home and back. That's great, 10 mins after being dropped off you'll be in the lounge, then welcomed with champagne once on the plane.

I never tried wearing an ITFC shirt but I'd imagine that's an automatic upgrade to 1st class.

I used to take late night flights so arrive in Dubai in the morning.

You'll be able to get out of the airport in Dubai. 6 hours is enough time. Traffic can be problematic so metro is more reliable (you'll need to buy equivalent of an oyster code so costs a bit for one day).

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Many questions for people that may have travelled (n/t) on 16:56 - Jan 12 with 5599 viewsMJallday

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 16:43 - Jan 12 by ParisBlue

I used to fly Emirates a lot. Assuming you're flying from Birmingham make sure you're on the A380 and you'll be fine. Flat beds etc. The food in the lounge is great, I used to get there early and eat and drink there rather than on plane. Emirates also used to offer a chauffeur service to collect you from home and back. That's great, 10 mins after being dropped off you'll be in the lounge, then welcomed with champagne once on the plane.

I never tried wearing an ITFC shirt but I'd imagine that's an automatic upgrade to 1st class.

You'll be able to get out of the airport in Dubai. 6 hours is enough time. Traffic can be problematic so metro is more reliable (you'll need to buy equivalent of an oyster code so costs a bit for one day).

[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 16:58]

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 16:57 - Jan 12 with 5594 viewsMJallday

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 16:43 - Jan 12 by ParisBlue

Hiya
Yep flying from birmingham on the 380. ive got my seat booked and im just looking at the infotainment thing , apparently i can have it all downloaded before i go

im doing the chauffer (i figured after a 20 odd hour trip i wouldnt wanna drive back home) - so ive set it for 5 hours before - i like airports theyre cool.
i think i land in dubai at midnight going out , ive only got 2.5 hours there before my connection to chennai
coming back i land at 1am, but dont take off till 7.25 - so i figure 6.5 hours will be alright wont it?

i was just thikning, get out of airport, maybe 1.30am, get a taxi down to burj khalifa, selfie (with my town shirt) on at the big building, then back to the airport for 4.30-5am ish - recon thats enough time?

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 17:01 - Jan 12 with 5565 viewsTampa_Florida_Blue

I have never been to Chennai, but I have traveled and lived in other countries than UK. It is going to be a culture shock.
When I moved from Manchester, to Miami Florida, that was a much bigger culture shock than I had imagined. Visiting on holiday is one thing, but living there is a totally different.
My advise is this. It is going to be different from what your use to. Be prepared to try new things, and most of all, ask questions to locals when you arrive. Learn to adapt to there way of doing every day things.
Many questions for people that may have travelled on 17:18 - Jan 12 with 5500 viewsParisBlue

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 16:57 - Jan 12 by MJallday

Hiya
Yep flying from birmingham on the 380. ive got my seat booked and im just looking at the infotainment thing , apparently i can have it all downloaded before i go

im doing the chauffer (i figured after a 20 odd hour trip i wouldnt wanna drive back home) - so ive set it for 5 hours before - i like airports theyre cool.
i think i land in dubai at midnight going out , ive only got 2.5 hours there before my connection to chennai
coming back i land at 1am, but dont take off till 7.25 - so i figure 6.5 hours will be alright wont it?

i was just thikning, get out of airport, maybe 1.30am, get a taxi down to burj khalifa, selfie (with my town shirt) on at the big building, then back to the airport for 4.30-5am ish - recon thats enough time?

6.5 hours will be plenty at that time. If you don't plan to stay long just ask the taxi driver to wait for you to take you back.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 17:21 - Jan 12 with 5495 viewsOxford_Blue

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 14:59 - Jan 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Unlucky.

There speaks the voice of a small minded yokel
Many questions for people that may have travelled on 17:23 - Jan 12 with 5491 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Unlucky.

Sure, but on the plus side:

http://www.krishnantennis.com/
Many questions for people that may have travelled on 17:33 - Jan 12 with 5469 viewsshady

I live in Tamil Nadu
out in the sticks, about 180km south of Chennai.

Chennai is a large metro with very little going for it.
Little in the way of tourist sites....remember the last VIP to visit
they crucified... but that was a couple of millennia ago.
(Saint Thomas)
Now they are very friendly especially if you look salaried.

February is a great time to visit as its not too hot...only about 33C daytime.

Living well is cheap and nearly everything available. Internet over mobile
works well...get a local simcard.
Usually able to get a stream for matches, though not today

Any questions, just ping me and may have answers
Many questions for people that may have travelled on 19:09 - Jan 12 with 5395 viewsMJallday

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 17:33 - Jan 12 by shady

I live in Tamil Nadu
out in the sticks, about 180km south of Chennai.

Chennai is a large metro with very little going for it.
Little in the way of tourist sites....remember the last VIP to visit
they crucified... but that was a couple of millennia ago.
(Saint Thomas)
Now they are very friendly especially if you look salaried.

February is a great time to visit as its not too hot...only about 33C daytime.

Living well is cheap and nearly everything available. Internet over mobile
works well...get a local simcard.
Usually able to get a stream for matches, though not today

Any questions, just ping me and may have answers

thanks thats brilliant

ill try not to get crucified. i may hit you up with some questions

ill be the one wearing the town shirt out there.

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 19:14 - Jan 12 with 5381 viewsEly_Blue

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 16:57 - Jan 12 by MJallday

Hiya

Word of warning re passport control getting back into Dubai airport at the time of the morning, it can be quite busy/hectic so make sure you’ve got plenty of time

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 19:56 - Jan 12 with 5349 viewsMJallday

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 19:14 - Jan 12 by Ely_Blue

Word of warning re passport control getting back into Dubai airport at the time of the morning, it can be quite busy/hectic so make sure you’ve got plenty of time

thats brill thanks for letting me know. i dont envisage doing mich, im just facinated by big stuff - im not sure what else these is to see in dubai when its pitch black :)

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 20:34 - Jan 12 with 5311 viewsKungfuBlue

I have to go to Dubai fairly often with work. I’d strongly suggest you use Uber if you do plan to leave the airport. Local taxis have been known to say they will take card until you get to your destination then demand cash and drive you to a cash point. Safer and easier with Uber.

Depending on which terminal you arrive you will likely have to get a train to the passports, book your Uber once through passport and into baggage, there are plenty and the wait will be short.

There’s not much around the burj Khalifa (it’s at far end of Dubai) so I’d suggest time allowing you go there have a photo then ask to be taken onto the palm and go to the Atlantis hotel. Though risk it’s not open at that time of day (you should check ahead of going), there’s an indoor aquarium and lots of restaurants and bars to grab a beer before heading back to airport. Leave plenty of time on way back
Many questions for people that may have travelled on 21:06 - Jan 12 with 5280 viewsSenatorBlue

Not been to Chennai, but I’ve travelled to Mumbai 3/4 times a year since 95, and have worked there for 12 months. You should have plenty enough to do. Plenty of bars, restaurants and night life, these days. Never once got Ill either. Tend to avoid western food, and stick to Indian and Chinese - the theory, they know how to cook/prepare local cuisine better. I also swear by medicinal Kingfisher. Bottled water everything, and check lids are sealed. Have fun - sure the locals will look after you!

Would mirror others re Dubai. Customs can be a drag, so whilst 6 hours it can be done, it will be tight. I’ve always wanted to do the ski dome there - could never get it to work with a shortish transfer.
Many questions for people that may have travelled on 21:17 - Jan 12 with 5259 viewsjas0999

I wouldn’t experiment with food that’s for sure. Play it safe. I wouldn’t risk missing your next flight. Business class is just that. No need for a suit but smart casual would be a good idea.
Many questions for people that may have travelled on 22:32 - Jan 12 with 5196 viewsMJallday

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 21:17 - Jan 12 by jas0999

I wouldn’t experiment with food that’s for sure. Play it safe. I wouldn’t risk missing your next flight. Business class is just that. No need for a suit but smart casual would be a good idea.

I really have no idea what the etiquette is

I usually wear jogging bottoms and a T-shirt. Sound like I might have to tart myself up

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 22:41 - Jan 12 with 5177 viewsTractorWood

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 22:32 - Jan 12 by MJallday

I really have no idea what the etiquette is

I usually wear jogging bottoms and a T-shirt. Sound like I might have to tart myself up

That's fine. I've done long flights to Jakarta, Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong etc. at least a dozen times in the last 4 years and always go in joggers and a hoody regardless of cabin. Business long haul is excellent. Get to the lounge early and enjoy it. A380s tend to board very early anyway.

Your plan to go the Burj could be on but in reality if you're getting a late flight you might just want to sit in the lounge at Dubai. Dubai airport is big, you have to clear security too. If you want to leave you'll have to clear customs twice too.

A long weekend in Sri Lanka could be on.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 22:53]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 22:49 - Jan 12 with 5143 viewsRyorry

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 17:23 - Jan 12 by BudapestByBlimp

Sure, but on the plus side:

http://www.krishnantennis.com/

You beat me to it!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 22:54 - Jan 12 with 5135 viewsElderGrizzly

1. Yes and no
2. All depends on immigration/passport control leaving. Queues can be bad, but as you’re business class you should be expedited through. Alternatively, book this service to whisk you through even quicker in about 5 minutes. Met off plane, driven to and through immigration

https://www.marhabaservices.com/english/our-services/meet-greet

3. Yes. Try and get upstairs and a window on the A380. You get your own minibar at each seat :)
Many questions for people that may have travelled on 02:13 - Jan 13 with 5047 viewsMJallday

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 22:49 - Jan 12 by Ryorry

You beat me to it!

I bet he’s better than Murray ;-)

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 06:08 - Jan 13 with 4993 viewsshady

People may be surprised to learn that India has been the fastest growing economy for several years. This year it is expected to overtake the UK to be the world’s 5th by GDP.
So all the old clichés are going; you will see very few cows on the roads.
Lots of glitzy malls and a small fraction of the population having all life’s luxuries.
Chennai is naturally conservative in attitudes so people don’t flaunt as much as Bombay/Bangalore/Delhi. Also there is not a drinking culture, though it could change; they may drink in sterile hotel bars. Society is more family orientated.

Sadly for many of the most talented the aspiration is to get a US green card. You will find them really (over)friendly and asking personal questions…this is just their way. So know your answers to your family, marriage, children and your salary and whether you can help them get a job overseas.

Many graduates are produced but only 10% are employable due to poor English communication skills. Because of the rote learning system they often know things but they can not join the dots. Probably where you come in.

Cricket is the religion but they don’t even wear their local shirt. Sadly they have no knowledge of real football. They can get excited by the hype of premier league and world cup and have multiple loyalties.
I've seen shirts worn in Bombay/Delhi/Calcutta/Pune, but its a huge rarity
and never in Chennai.

Pollution is high, crossing the road is more deadly than drinking water.
Churchill’s comment that India is the World’s only functioning Anarchy is more true than ever.

Filter cappee(coffee) is the drink of choice and ask for less sugar.
There are also coffee shops even Costas and Starbucks but they appear to have declining popularity.
Excellent restaurants abound but smaller ones outside the top hotels are everywhere and often more real. Try a masala dosa(lentil pancake) filled with mashed potato and served with sambhar and chutneys. Also a rice plate served on banana leaf plate is the standard lunch.

If you want a change Pondicherry, a former French colony has beautiful architecture and more of a drinking culture.
Many questions for people that may have travelled on 09:39 - Jan 13 with 4882 viewsMJallday

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 06:08 - Jan 13 by shady

People may be surprised to learn that India has been the fastest growing economy for several years. This year it is expected to overtake the UK to be the world’s 5th by GDP.
So all the old clichés are going; you will see very few cows on the roads.
Lots of glitzy malls and a small fraction of the population having all life’s luxuries.
Chennai is naturally conservative in attitudes so people don’t flaunt as much as Bombay/Bangalore/Delhi. Also there is not a drinking culture, though it could change; they may drink in sterile hotel bars. Society is more family orientated.

Sadly for many of the most talented the aspiration is to get a US green card. You will find them really (over)friendly and asking personal questions…this is just their way. So know your answers to your family, marriage, children and your salary and whether you can help them get a job overseas.

Many graduates are produced but only 10% are employable due to poor English communication skills. Because of the rote learning system they often know things but they can not join the dots. Probably where you come in.

Cricket is the religion but they don’t even wear their local shirt. Sadly they have no knowledge of real football. They can get excited by the hype of premier league and world cup and have multiple loyalties.
I've seen shirts worn in Bombay/Delhi/Calcutta/Pune, but its a huge rarity
and never in Chennai.

Pollution is high, crossing the road is more deadly than drinking water.
Churchill’s comment that India is the World’s only functioning Anarchy is more true than ever.

Filter cappee(coffee) is the drink of choice and ask for less sugar.
There are also coffee shops even Costas and Starbucks but they appear to have declining popularity.
Excellent restaurants abound but smaller ones outside the top hotels are everywhere and often more real. Try a masala dosa(lentil pancake) filled with mashed potato and served with sambhar and chutneys. Also a rice plate served on banana leaf plate is the standard lunch.

If you want a change Pondicherry, a former French colony has beautiful architecture and more of a drinking culture.

That’s really insightful thank you (I love the twtd collective on stuff like this thank you alll!)

The biggest bit I’m worried about is eating. The day after I land I’m
Off to centreboards with fam so I don’t wanna be shtting my way through that

Basically bottled water , stay away from uncooked veg and meat and I think I’ll be ok

I will take my town shirt over . If only just to fly the flag

Also found out you can’t get Indian currency over here at the post office.You have to get it there - weird

My general plan is to arrive Saturday am , sleep , explore a bit Sunday , work mom - weds then fly to Dubai thursday , go to Burj Khalifa then home

Before all of that However, I’m off to Amsterdam Tuesday for a week!

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 09:48 - Jan 13 with 4865 viewsSenatorBlue

Many questions for people that may have travelled on 09:39 - Jan 13 by MJallday

That’s really insightful thank you (I love the twtd collective on stuff like this thank you alll!)

The biggest bit I’m worried about is eating. The day after I land I’m
Off to centreboards with fam so I don’t wanna be shtting my way through that

Basically bottled water , stay away from uncooked veg and meat and I think I’ll be ok

I will take my town shirt over . If only just to fly the flag

Also found out you can’t get Indian currency over here at the post office.You have to get it there - weird

My general plan is to arrive Saturday am , sleep , explore a bit Sunday , work mom - weds then fly to Dubai thursday , go to Burj Khalifa then home

Before all of that However, I’m off to Amsterdam Tuesday for a week!

Some UK Airport currency exchange will let you buy Rupees. They’ll just warn you that if detected at India immigration, it could be confiscated, something I’ve never known happen in 24 years of travelling there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024