Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's the hope that kills you 19:59 - Jan 12 with 653 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It was far from a convincing performance and we have a long way to go to get back into the mix but Town finally showed the appetite for the fight we have been lacking for so long now.

The key was the fantastic Collins. A debut I have never seen bettered. I wonder if that can be said by those whose memory stretches back to the Dutchmen. Collins was immense. He won every header, organised a defence that until today had been a consistent shambles and clearly told Gerken every time he should have come for the ball. It was notable Gerken began to claim more than he might have done previously.

To say Collins single-handedly won us this game would be an exaggeration but only a slight one. The personnel in defence may have only changed by 2 but Elder and Pennington offered more shape in the full back roles and Chambers was partnered by someone who does what he falls a little short on - organising, truly leading and reading the game so well. Collins today was certainly the best we have had since Bera left.

The midfield was weak and continues to miss a player of the experience and quality of Pilkington, Judge or Huws. Chalobah again was either brilliant or very ordinary in equal measure. Gerken did what he had to do without making any catastrophic mistakes. Quaner was hardly a Walters, Murphy or even a Kuqi and yet he could hold the ball up and worked hard and offered better than we had previously. It was as he tired our grip on possession became more and more relinquished. Keane showed flashes of a good touch but controlled dreadfully just to see the Rotherham offer him a second chance that he gratefully accepted. If Sears had made the most of Chalobah's best moment when he played the most delightful through ball of the day, the result would have been comfortable. It feels like with Collins on the pitch 2-0 may no longer be a dangerous scoreline.

It was backs to the wall at the end. Collins' reading of the game continued to be the deciding factor. Nsiala ran around like a headless chicken but at least threw himself into challenges when he happened to be in the right place. Dawkins looked so far off the pace one wonders why he was on the pitch ahead of anyone else.

Could this be the hard fought 3 points we need ready for Judge and Huws to help us on our road to recovery? It is a massive ask but today I left the ground once again thinking the miracle might, just might be possible. It certainly looked like there were players on the pitch that had trained together previously and that, for me, is a big step in the right direction.

Gerken 6.5 (positioning and kicking need to improve but made regulation saves)
Pennington 6.5 (defended well but needs to improve kicking the ball up the line)
Chambers 6.5 (battled on despite tumble over the gate)
Collins 10 (yes, he really was that good today)
Elder 7 (solid enough at the back and offered something going forward)
Skuse 6 (did enough)
Chalobah 6 (good and bad in equal measure. did enough)
Lankester 6.5 (needs to have a little more confidence taking players on)
Keane 6.5 (some glimpses of quality. persevered but a little lucky to get the goal)
Sears 6.5 (good running and got into good positions but didn't do as well as he could when he got there)
Quaner 6.5 (some good control. constant closing down and dropping into midfield to get the ball. showed promise)

Downes 5 (an off day when he came on. struggled to get to the pace of the game)
Nsiala 5 (got stuck in but has so much he could learn from Collins. let's hope he is a quick learner)
Dawkins 4 (didn't get into the game at all)

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

It's the hope that kills you on 20:47 - Jan 12 with 564 viewsOxford_Blue

Collins was solid first half.

Second half he fell away. He’s not match fit.
It's the hope that kills you on 20:55 - Jan 12 with 542 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's the hope that kills you on 20:47 - Jan 12 by Oxford_Blue

Collins was solid first half.

Second half he fell away. He’s not match fit.

From the top of North, he was superb second half too.

Not fully match fit I agree but he did all I mention above second half repeatedly. He was immense.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024