Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving to Manchester in a few weeks 13:42 - Jan 14 with 1883 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sat 16 February to be precise. What is the best/quickest route to go at the moment. Last time I went up there via M6 it was a flipping nightmare with roadworks everywhere.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 13:44 - Jan 14 with 1866 viewsTractorCam

M1/M62

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 13:47 - Jan 14 with 1856 viewsSamuelowen88

I live just outside Manchester. When ever i do the route i now go .

A14,
A1 to Worksop
head across to the M1
then go over the woodhead pass

avoid the M6 like the plague.

Poll: England v Wales Score

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 13:49 - Jan 14 with 1853 viewsGuthrum

A lot of it still is, but remains quicker than most other options (like A roads via Ashbourne, Buxton and Stockport - especially the last bit, miles and miles of 30mph with traffic lights). Tho it was suggested that going up the M1 and across the M62 might work.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 14:01 - Jan 14 with 1824 viewsGavTWTD

I tend to use the google satnav to tell me the quickest. Sometimes it's the A1, sometimes M6 depending on live results. LOVE the google satnav. You can share your location/route with whoever needs to know and adjusts your route while on the road. For a "free" app its great.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 14:06 - Jan 14 with 1812 viewsTIB

I wouldn't do the A628 route (A1 via Worksop, Stockport etc) if driving at night. It drags on and some of the roads are proper winding.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 14:16 - Jan 14 with 1790 viewsSaleAway

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 13:49 - Jan 14 by Guthrum

A lot of it still is, but remains quicker than most other options (like A roads via Ashbourne, Buxton and Stockport - especially the last bit, miles and miles of 30mph with traffic lights). Tho it was suggested that going up the M1 and across the M62 might work.

On a Saturday, it shouldn't be too bad on the M6... the last couple of times I've gone up from Essex, I've done A14, A1, then either M18 or A57 to M1, and across the woodhead pass... its much nicer route than the M6, although may not be that much quicker.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 14:17 - Jan 14 with 1787 viewsSaleAway

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 14:06 - Jan 14 by TIB

I wouldn't do the A628 route (A1 via Worksop, Stockport etc) if driving at night. It drags on and some of the roads are proper winding.

Also, in February there is a fair chance that it might get closed by snow. :-)

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 14:18 - Jan 14 with 1785 viewsmanningtreeblue

Drove to Accrington and back last Saturday as part of my masochist course!
A14 A1 M62 at Ferrybridge
Absolute doddle no roadworks apart from long term ones at Cambridge
Left Manningtree 0545 picked up Rattlesden breakfast en route parked in Accrington which is about 25 miles north of Manchester before 1100
Login to get fewer ads

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 15:59 - Jan 14 with 1723 viewsfactual_blue

The best route will involve Gatwick.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 16:21 - Jan 14 with 1689 viewsJordy

As others have said avoid M6, A1 then M62 is best
Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 16:40 - Jan 14 with 1674 viewsgainsboroughblue

Thanks all.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 18:06 - Jan 14 with 1610 viewshenley07

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 13:44 - Jan 14 by TractorCam

M1/M62

We went up from Haverhill for the Josh Warrington/Carl Frampton fight just before Xmas,what a night that was by the way!
A1 then M62 without a doubt best route.
Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 18:15 - Jan 14 with 1606 viewsMullet

M6 is fine when it works, especially if you use the toll road.

I've driven the route thousands of times and usually use it, only been held up properly 5 or so times in the last decade and a half.

I'd avoid cutting across via Sheffield if you don't know the route or it's dark. It can be hairy and just as much of a pain.

The new signage is fairly good at displaying queues and delays so I often bob off and aim for the A34 etc. in a pinch but it's rarely necessary. Coming south is usually where the accidents and hold ups seem to be actually but that might just be bad luck on my part.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Driving to Manchester in a few weeks on 18:48 - Jan 14 with 1571 viewsFreddies_Ears

Assuming you are starting in Ipswich, then A14 / A1 / M62 is normally much quicker than M6. I last did M6 a couple of weeks ago as I was heading to the Wirral. There are several sets of long-term roadworks with 50mph average speed cameras. It was horrible. Currently, A1 / M62 is clear of roadworks daytime.

Btw, if the Cambridge area is horribly busy or A14 closed, the Ely bypass has now opened, so you can reroute Newmarket / Ely / hit the A1 north of Peterborough. Takes 20-30 mins longer than a completely clear A14.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024