Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Democracy in action 15:57 - Jan 15 with 2353 viewsGuthrum

or: See, it does work

Last night, I sent an email to my local MP about this evening's vote. Just had a reply informing which side he intends to be on and why.

It's not too late to influence the outcome of this, people! Get on to your MP and tell them how you want them to vote.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Democracy in action on 15:58 - Jan 15 with 1934 viewsSpruceMoose

So, did you manage to change his mind?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Democracy in action on 16:00 - Jan 15 with 1913 viewsChampionship

Sky predicting a 226 vote loss for May. I think this one might be over.
Democracy in action on 16:03 - Jan 15 with 1900 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

None of this means you influenced him in the slightest.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Democracy in action on 16:13 - Jan 15 with 1860 viewshomer_123

How has your email influenced your MP then Guthers?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Democracy in action on 16:13 - Jan 15 with 1860 viewsGuthrum

Democracy in action on 16:03 - Jan 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

None of this means you influenced him in the slightest.

One opinion may not, but dozens or hundreds could well do. We can't really complain about politicians ignoring our views if we only tell them once every few years.

Democracy in action on 16:15 - Jan 15 with 1848 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Democracy in action on 16:13 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

One opinion may not, but dozens or hundreds could well do. We can't really complain about politicians ignoring our views if we only tell them once every few years.

Wouldn't disagree.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Democracy in action on 16:16 - Jan 15 with 1846 viewshomer_123

Democracy in action on 16:13 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

How should your MP vote though? Should he/ she vote based on the referendum result? How their constituency voted or what they feel is for the greater good of the nation, potentially ignoring both of the above?

Democracy in action on 16:18 - Jan 15 with 1833 viewsGuthrum

Democracy in action on 16:15 - Jan 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

Wouldn't disagree.

The OP was more to emphasise that MPs don't just ignore our communications and go their merry way. They are willing to account for their voting intentions.

Login to get fewer ads

Democracy in action on 16:22 - Jan 15 with 1825 viewsGuthrum

Democracy in action on 16:16 - Jan 15 by homer_123

How should your MP vote though? Should he/ she vote based on the referendum result? How their constituency voted or what they feel is for the greater good of the nation, potentially ignoring both of the above?

In reality, they should vote how their constituents direct. This will be a judgment call based on several of those factors. But they ought to be able to justify it (or if they think it should be overridden for practical reasons, the national interest, etc.).

Democracy in action on 16:24 - Jan 15 with 1817 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Democracy in action on 16:18 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

The OP was more to emphasise that MPs don't just ignore our communications and go their merry way. They are willing to account for their voting intentions.

So they should.

I must admit, when I have been in touch with local MP's in the past they have been helpful.

Democracy in action on 16:26 - Jan 15 with 1813 viewsCotty

Democracy in action on 16:22 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

In reality, they should vote how their constituents direct. This will be a judgment call based on several of those factors. But they ought to be able to justify it (or if they think it should be overridden for practical reasons, the national interest, etc.).

I'm not sure that's quite right. We vote for a representative, but that representative must use their own judgement. It is their judgement that we have voted for in our system.
Democracy in action on 16:29 - Jan 15 with 1791 viewsNo9

Democracy in action on 16:24 - Jan 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

So they should.

I must admit, when I have been in touch with local MP's in the past they have been helpful.

My MP was very helpful when he was in opposition more so if your issues aligned with his views
Since the tories got in he has at best been 'unhelpfull'
Democracy in action on 16:33 - Jan 15 with 1774 viewsGuthrum

Democracy in action on 16:26 - Jan 15 by Cotty

I'm not sure that's quite right. We vote for a representative, but that representative must use their own judgement. It is their judgement that we have voted for in our system.

Their judgment only comes into play absent of instructions from the constituency. We only abdicate all responsibility if we choose to (or fail to take part).

Democracy in action on 16:34 - Jan 15 with 1770 viewshomer_123

Interesting view Cotty.

Democracy in action on 16:37 - Jan 15 with 1764 viewsChampionship

How does that work with the likes of Jacon Rees-Mogg and his religion based opposition to gay marriage etc?
Democracy in action on 17:21 - Jan 15 with 1723 viewsfactual_blue

Indeed. They are, and always have been, representatives, not delegates.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Democracy in action on 17:22 - Jan 15 with 1720 viewsfactual_blue

Democracy in action on 16:37 - Jan 15 by Championship

How does that work with the likes of Jacon Rees-Mogg and his religion based opposition to gay marriage etc?

Simple. Don't vote for him and his 16th century view of the world.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Democracy in action on 17:37 - Jan 15 with 1697 viewsHerbivore

My MP has never voted against her party and I can't imagine that's going to change today.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Democracy in action on 17:41 - Jan 15 with 1690 viewsRyorry

If we'd done that, we wouldn't have shot ourselves in the foot, stomach, heart & head by having a bleeping referendum in the first place!

Cameron Farage

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Democracy in action on 17:55 - Jan 15 with 1670 viewsRyorry

Democracy in action on 16:33 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

Their judgment only comes into play absent of instructions from the constituency. We only abdicate all responsibility if we choose to (or fail to take part).

TBH Guthers, I find the Brexit situation now so confused and confusing that I'd actually have no idea which way to ask my MP to vote (not that he'd take the blindest bit of notice anyway, as he's Tory Chief Whip Julian Smith!).

As far as I can see, there's no real answer as to what's "best" for the UK overall?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Democracy in action on 17:57 - Jan 15 with 1661 viewsStokieBlue

Doesn't that mean he had already decided?

This post could easily be from someone with the opposite view stating their opinion was being ignored.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Democracy in action on 18:06 - Jan 15 with 1638 viewsSwansea_Blue

Democracy in action on 17:55 - Jan 15 by Ryorry

TBH Guthers, I find the Brexit situation now so confused and confusing that I'd actually have no idea which way to ask my MP to vote (not that he'd take the blindest bit of notice anyway, as he's Tory Chief Whip Julian Smith!).

As far as I can see, there's no real answer as to what's "best" for the UK overall?

Therein lies the problem with this vote. Rejecting May’d deal could end up with us leaving with no deal or remaining on our current terms, or anywhere in between.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Democracy in action on 18:44 - Jan 15 with 1617 viewsBlueBadger

Democracy in action on 17:22 - Jan 15 by factual_blue

Simple. Don't vote for him and his 16th century view of the world.

Ironically enough, deeply Catholic Rees-Mogg would have likely faced similar levels of bigotry for being a Catholic that he now expresses towards gay people.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Democracy in action on 18:46 - Jan 15 with 1612 viewsSpruceMoose

Democracy in action on 18:44 - Jan 15 by BlueBadger

Ironically enough, deeply Catholic Rees-Mogg would have likely faced similar levels of bigotry for being a Catholic that he now expresses towards gay people.

Gay folk haven't tried to blow up the houses of Parliament. Yet.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Democracy in action on 19:09 - Jan 15 with 1595 viewsBlueBadger

Democracy in action on 17:55 - Jan 15 by Ryorry

There is. It's 'forget this whole sorry farce ever happened, repeal Article 50 and tell whining gammons to stop crying because they'll be dead soon'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024