Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whether we are within or out of the EU has little to no bearing on our current 20:52 - Jan 15 with 3673 viewshomer_123

ills as a nation.

Under investment in the NHS
The widening social mobility gap
Increased house prices
Low wages

We, as a nation have control over these issues and have done forever. Over the last 40 years and well before.

We, as a collective, as a nation, have chosen or allowed us to be led into a situation where we have accepted the underfunding and slow privatisation of the NHS, we have allowed the gap to widen between the haves and have nots. We've allowed Universities to charge fees for education. We have allowed the housing market to become so ridiculous that barely anyone can get on the housing ladder.

Sod European politics and whether we should or should not be part of the EU. Let's take a long hard look at ourselves, our country and what sort of country we want to live in.

Let's deal with these issues. We've let ourselves down...we have let things get so bad. Certainly being part of the EU hasn't forced or helped us deal with these problems and nor should it. Exiting the EU will have little bearing either.

We can choose to address these issues or not and so far no one on leave or remain has evidenced how either approach will help us address the above.

Stating being in the EU is commercially better than being out is not an argument here. We've been part of the EU for 40 years and we have let things slide.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 20:58]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Let me spell it out homer... on 00:17 - Jan 16 with 955 viewsjpring89

Let me spell it out homer... on 21:40 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

Well as a result of this:
"Since 2009-2010 the deficit has fallen by four-fifths, from 9.9% to 1.9%. Public debt peaked in 2016-17 and is now falling. On average, spending on public services will grow 1.2% above inflation a year from next year until 2023-24."

We were planning to do this:
"The NHS is the public’s number one priority and the government will increase its budget by £20.5 billion after inflation by 2023-24. Within this, the NHS will increase mental health spending by more than £2 billion a year by 2023-24."

"Local authorities in England will receive a further £650 million in social care funding next year."

"£400 million extra for schools this year
This will be £10,000 for the average primary school and £50,000 for the average secondary school."

Of course its not enough - but what will it look like after a recession worse than 2008?

Just print more money.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Whether we are within or out of the EU has little to no bearing on our current on 04:21 - Jan 16 with 933 viewsbluelagos

Agree with all of that except your last sentence!

Fck me this is all a huge distraction to more pressing issues. And the idea that our problems were down to the EU was and remains bollox. 100% agree with you on those.

But wake up and smell a bit of coffee. The latest predictions are that a no deal exit would be like an 8% GDP hit. That is serious recession stuff with significant job losses, lower taxes etc. That will make it all the harder to address all the issues you raise so clearly.

So sorry, stating the economic impacts of our terms of Brexit absolutely is an issue, as it impacts our ability to sort stuff out.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Whether we are within or out of the EU has little to no bearing on our current on 08:08 - Jan 16 with 894 viewshomer_123

Whether we are within or out of the EU has little to no bearing on our current on 04:21 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

Agree with all of that except your last sentence!

Fck me this is all a huge distraction to more pressing issues. And the idea that our problems were down to the EU was and remains bollox. 100% agree with you on those.

But wake up and smell a bit of coffee. The latest predictions are that a no deal exit would be like an 8% GDP hit. That is serious recession stuff with significant job losses, lower taxes etc. That will make it all the harder to address all the issues you raise so clearly.

So sorry, stating the economic impacts of our terms of Brexit absolutely is an issue, as it impacts our ability to sort stuff out.

We've been in the EU for the last 40 years...where have we chosen to invest our finances?

What bearing does being part of the EU or not have on whether we should address these issues as a Country?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 16:24]

Whether we are within or out of the EU has little to no bearing on our current on 09:35 - Jan 16 with 877 viewschicoazul

Whether we are within or out of the EU has little to no bearing on our current on 21:33 - Jan 15 by homer_123

This country would grind to a halt without people coming to live here and work.

Don't even get me started on how embarrassingly crap we are about letting refugees into this country either....nowhere near enough.

If you think the people at for eg Calais are refugees then youre dead wrong. If you are talking about for eg the Dubs amendment then I largely agree.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Let me spell it out homer... on 09:53 - Jan 16 with 871 viewsflimflam

Let me spell it out homer... on 21:24 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

... a buoyant economy provides a larger government spending purse.

Our best period of NHS, schools, regeneration and public service investment was during the boom of the 90s.

Brexit is sending us into a recession of a scale far far greater than 2008; when Austerity was required.

So Brexit ABSOLUTELY is relevant. 50% of our exports are to the EU.

44%

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 9:55]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Whether we are within or out of the EU has little to no bearing on our current on 16:26 - Jan 16 with 831 viewshomer_123

Whether we are within or out of the EU has little to no bearing on our current on 23:24 - Jan 15 by wkj

Whether we are within or out of the EU has little to no bearing on our ills as a nation.

I am afraid I have to disagree here, It does address the point - Point being while voting one way or the other might not improve our ills, voting in such a way could exacerbate them; ergo - having quite the baring on our ills as a nation.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 4:28]

My point being that we are currently part of the EU and we don't choose to address these situations.

We can choose to address these whether we are within or outside the EU.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024