Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The art of boring people into submission 10:20 - Jan 17 with 4553 viewscaught-in-limbo

Having lived in Spain for close to 20 years I've seen Spanish politicians practise the fine art of boring the electorate into submission first hand.

Politically, the most exciting thing which has happened in Spanish politics since the failed coup attempt in 1981 (History fans watch here: ), is probably 15M (May 15 2011) and the rise of "Los Indignados".

Normal Spaniards actually started getting interested in politics. Now though, all that passion has been beaten out of everyone (by a 2 year long process of trying to elect a new government) and now the politicians are just left to do as they please while the weary population gets on with trying to live a little.

And perhaps we've reached that saturation point in Britain too.

I LOLed as I heard Teresa May say last night that she's going to press on and deliver Brexit for the people. It's nonsense. There'll be no Norway model. No Brexit. Nothing.

The Government's hardest task was always going to be getting over the fact that not delivering Brexit would look a bit well, you know, undemocratic.

It's clear to me that the plan for a while has been for the Government to tap into this demand for democracy. But not the democracy connected to delivering Brexit, no, what's needed is street-level democracy, one that comes from the people and is not tarred by duplicitous politicians, the sort of Democracy that is British, one that builds empires and has tea and scones. Yes the people of Britain (even Brexiteers) are going to beg Mrs May to stop and put the country out of its misery. The poor thing is going go against her democratic instincts and have another referendum to reverse the decision made in 2016. She'll play the part well, and most will respect her principles if not her ability as a PM.

So it'll be 1:1, so let's have a third?

Nope, that won't happen. The next referendum has to be decisive, we're talking nearly 2/3rds majority - to make it "much more democratic" than the original democratic election.

So, we're in for the long haul. Expect all manner of lovely pro-European stories in the press in the coming months to bring it on.

Enjoy the show.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

The art of boring people into submission on 22:05 - Jan 17 with 822 viewsHerbivore

The art of boring people into submission on 21:40 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

You thought wrong.

I endeavour to be right irrespective of what the herd thinks.

You need to endeavour better.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The art of boring people into submission on 22:14 - Jan 17 with 810 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 21:57 - Jan 17 by jjblue84

There’s more people interested in politics now than for a long while... the politicians have been useless for years, it’s only now that everyone has noticed!!!

They're only useless in their duties to serve the people. They're certainly not useless at serving themselves or their masters*.

*That'll get a few others joining the thread.
The answer to the next question is "people (generally unknown to the public by name) belonging to groups with sufficiently enormous quantities of money or power to influence politicians to act in their interests".

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 22:20 - Jan 17 with 804 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 22:05 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

You need to endeavour better.

That's certainly good advice for us all to follow.

Bookmarked.

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 23:41 - Jan 17 with 780 viewsjjblue84

The art of boring people into submission on 22:14 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

They're only useless in their duties to serve the people. They're certainly not useless at serving themselves or their masters*.

*That'll get a few others joining the thread.
The answer to the next question is "people (generally unknown to the public by name) belonging to groups with sufficiently enormous quantities of money or power to influence politicians to act in their interests".

Not sure if Spanish law is a good comparison to English...let’s hope we don’t end up that way and Brexit has opened our eyes again!!
The art of boring people into submission on 00:11 - Jan 18 with 762 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 23:41 - Jan 17 by jjblue84

Not sure if Spanish law is a good comparison to English...let’s hope we don’t end up that way and Brexit has opened our eyes again!!

I admire your optimism.

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 07:26 - Jan 18 with 723 viewsjjblue84

The art of boring people into submission on 00:11 - Jan 18 by caught-in-limbo

I admire your optimism.

All we have left is our freedom! Everything else has been sold...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024