Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps 08:10 - Jan 18 with 4924 viewsBluefish

The things that Lambert has done here, letter, fans, ex players etc. were pre planned and discussed with Evans in a strategy early on. He made lots of comments about the state of the place during the Boro game and he will know how the crowd had turned on MM despite the team being competitive. I expect it was discussed while considering the job and Marcus set a strategy to shield Lambert from that. Almost as if he has learned from roy that itfc lap up press conferences, learned from Mick that saying nice things are more important than results and learned from Paul Hurst that forgetting the heritage will lose support.

Or has Lambert ever done similar at any of his other clubs?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:17 - Jan 18 with 4874 viewswkj

I feel Lambert has a different role here to other clubs, much like I think Mick McCarthy had. By this I feel they are paid to not only be 1st team managers, but club managers, so by that logic I feel it could also be Lambert exercising what he feels is the correct course of action given the remit of his role.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 8:31]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:20 - Jan 18 with 4862 viewsWD19

I think it is planned. The letter appears to be written (in part) by someone else. It is more of a written up interview than the type of letter one person writes to another.

But that is absolutely not a dig. Planning and organising this stuff is just a sign of competence. It clearly comes naturally to him.
Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:23 - Jan 18 with 4840 viewsbraveblue

Marcus set a strategy. Really? Find that very hard to believe.
Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:32 - Jan 18 with 4775 viewsReuser_is_God

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:20 - Jan 18 by WD19

I think it is planned. The letter appears to be written (in part) by someone else. It is more of a written up interview than the type of letter one person writes to another.

But that is absolutely not a dig. Planning and organising this stuff is just a sign of competence. It clearly comes naturally to him.

I genuinely don’t think it was written by someone else.

All those little phrases in the letter are Lamberts, like ‘one team in the town’ the support we’re getting is not normal for where we are’

All Lamberts sound bites.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:34 - Jan 18 with 4770 viewsReuser_is_God

If you look at Lamberts last 3 jobs he’s gone into all of them at a similar stage in the season as to what he came in here.

Perhaps he’s just experienced all this before & feels that this ultra positive mantra he’s currently displaying is the correct way to go?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:51 - Jan 18 with 4702 viewsflimflam

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:34 - Jan 18 by Reuser_is_God

If you look at Lamberts last 3 jobs he’s gone into all of them at a similar stage in the season as to what he came in here.

Perhaps he’s just experienced all this before & feels that this ultra positive mantra he’s currently displaying is the correct way to go?

I also get the feeling he actually really likes it here and knows that he is onto a long term position if he wishes and will have the freedom to build and nourish his own team in his own way with no pressure from the board.

I know he has had short term positions elsewhere but surely any manager would like to have the job security and I know we are in dire straights at the moment but we are still a club managers want to work for.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:57 - Jan 18 with 4678 viewsArnieM

Yes, you’re being VERY cynical. Anyway, communication of the level Lambert is doing, is totally beyond Evans. Get a Grip!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 09:00 - Jan 18 with 4657 viewsGuthrum

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:20 - Jan 18 by WD19

Stylistically, an open letter is generally closer to an interview than to a communication between one person and another. He is, after all, expressing his thoughts to a large number of people, whom he does not know personally.

Less detatched than a press release "The Manager would like to thank the fans ...", not as formal as a stand up speech "Ladies and gentlemen of the Ipswich fanbase ...", it's a public declaration of one's private views, to set them on record, but effectively addressed to each individual.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 09:09 - Jan 18 with 4616 viewsSWGF

We are a close-knit club, very local. More so than Villa, for example. I'd say it's easier to connect with the fanbase at a more direct level, get the "us against the world" rhetoric whipped-up. Don't know whether he's done it previously...think he got Nodge going in that respect.

At this stage, I hope that he's doing all of this because he sees that there is the potential to build something, regardless of which league we find ourselves in, in August. The atmosphere around the club/at matches since he took over is chalk and cheese from what it's been for years. If he can, somehow, keep that feeling going (with the help of the Blue Action mob), then we might (bizarrely) be able to take some positive momentum into League One, if we end up there...

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 09:27 - Jan 18 with 4550 viewsrickw

This is nothing to do with ME - he hasn't suddenly worked out how to liaise with fans!

This is all Lambert - he's a PR genius!
Lambert's record isn't any better than Hurst's, yet Lambert is loved by nearly all where-as Hurst is ridiculed.

Lambert getting the club legends, media and fans all on-side has been brilliant - it's enabled him to keep a good atmosphere in the stadium, which helps keep the players morale up which still gives us that little chance of turning things around.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 10:04 - Jan 18 with 4441 viewslinhdi

The night that Hurst left, and it was pretty much confirmed that Lambert was to be appointed, I was at an event at Carrot Road. I spoke to several of their fans and off-field management. They all said that the first thing Lambert did was being the whole club together, players, staff and fans.

So, it's how he works.
Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 10:08 - Jan 18 with 4415 viewsITFC_Forever

My cynicism is around PL being clever, and getting the fans on-side, so if we go down, he walks away with no blame and leaves ME as the fall-guy.

Or if we stay up, and ME doesn't provide the funds PL wants, again, it's all on ME.

By getting the fans on PL's side, it puts massive pressure on ME.

I want to buy in to the PL hyperbole, but there's a part of me holding back in case it all goes wrong.

That said, PL is certainly doing all the right things, and we know ME has his critics anyway.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 10:09 - Jan 18 with 4407 viewsNo9

I would suggest that at least a part of the interviewing process was how to win back the fans and give the place a less dour atmosphere.

The positive attitude is infectious, that can only be a good thing and make it a much more pleasant place to go than was the case before he arrived
Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 10:11 - Jan 18 with 4397 viewsBluefish

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 10:08 - Jan 18 by ITFC_Forever

My cynicism is around PL being clever, and getting the fans on-side, so if we go down, he walks away with no blame and leaves ME as the fall-guy.

Or if we stay up, and ME doesn't provide the funds PL wants, again, it's all on ME.

I want to buy in to the PL hyperbole, but there's a part of me holding back in case it all goes wrong.

That said, PL is certainly doing all the right things, and we know ME has his critics anyway.

Probably a wise move. I am cautiously appreciating it without diving in. So many were desperate for PH to be the answer that they claimed everyday about the wonderful stuff he was doing and how amazing he is, it made it hard for many of them to accept and you could see their troubled minds working overtime. Similar also with keane

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 10:39 - Jan 18 with 4313 viewsNo9

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 10:08 - Jan 18 by ITFC_Forever

On the face of it ME has brought in PL to do a healing & re-build job
It would be bad for PL to say "this is what I'm told to do & if it all goes tits up I'm out of here" wouldn't it.
PL showed in his dealing with the budgies he is contract savvy I believe, for waht it's worth' ME had seen that Mr Milne was part of the problem & if he were to try to re-build ITFC it would have to be on what PL had made a part of his T's & C's for taking the job.

The writing is on teh wall for ME he either has to gamble on football people pullign an iron out of the fire OR accept relegation.

Fingers crossed
Very cynical buh on 10:46 - Jan 18 with 4283 viewsDyland

but not necessarily wrong.

I don't know matey, have you watched him on the touchline? Not sure I recall similar histrionics (in a good way) at his other clubs. Norwich maybe. I get a strong impression he genuinely loves it here and the challenge. I'm not assuming he'll stay if and when we're relegated though.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Exactly on 10:49 - Jan 18 with 4269 viewsDyland

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 09:00 - Jan 18 by Guthrum

Stylistically, an open letter is generally closer to an interview than to a communication between one person and another. He is, after all, expressing his thoughts to a large number of people, whom he does not know personally.

Less detatched than a press release "The Manager would like to thank the fans ...", not as formal as a stand up speech "Ladies and gentlemen of the Ipswich fanbase ...", it's a public declaration of one's private views, to set them on record, but effectively addressed to each individual.

P.S. "Ladies and gentlemen of the Ipswich fanbase ..."

lollers

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 12:08 - Jan 18 with 4185 viewscaught-in-limbo

You'd hope the marketing/PR department would have stuff like this covered, but recent history would suggest not. So, it certainly seems to be PL's idea at least. I agree with others that it's unlikely to be all his own wording so I suppose he got a fair amount of the "nail on head" stuff from actual fans / fan groups.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 12:24 - Jan 18 with 4141 viewsitfcjoe

Am I being too cynical to suggest that perhaps on 08:51 - Jan 18 by flimflam

I also get the feeling he actually really likes it here and knows that he is onto a long term position if he wishes and will have the freedom to build and nourish his own team in his own way with no pressure from the board.

I know he has had short term positions elsewhere but surely any manager would like to have the job security and I know we are in dire straights at the moment but we are still a club managers want to work for.

He's also in a position where if we go down his stock will be relatively low - 2 successive relegations in effect.

But I think he can see this is a decent job here with little interference where he will have time to turn it round - and most of our managers under Evans would say he is a good owner to work for (if a little short of cash!)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Very cynical buh on 12:32 - Jan 18 with 4108 viewsRyorry

Very cynical buh on 10:46 - Jan 18 by Dyland

but not necessarily wrong.

I don't know matey, have you watched him on the touchline? Not sure I recall similar histrionics (in a good way) at his other clubs. Norwich maybe. I get a strong impression he genuinely loves it here and the challenge. I'm not assuming he'll stay if and when we're relegated though.

Sometimes humans do just make an emotional connection, not necessarily always completely rational, with things and places that they come across. I did that with ITFC in the early-mid 70s when I lived in the town, and I'd never had any interest in football before. Who's to say that PL hasn't made such a personal connection? We might never know for sure, but to me his comments and body language, combined with my instincts (only let me down in my long life twice before!) say that he has.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024