Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Midfield diamond? 08:56 - Jan 18 with 2892 viewsHerbivore

I mentioned the other day that it might be something we try to use and SomethingBlue pointed out that Lambert has used such a system effectively before. We lack a bit of quality out wide so a more narrow midfield would enable us to negate that weakness and look to control games. With Judge making it clear he sees himself as a number 10 I do wonder if that's the way we're heading.

When everyone is fit you've got Skuse anchoring, Huws to the left, Bishop to the right, and Judge at the point in the number 10 role. We'd have Chalobah as cover for Skuse and possibly Bishop, Downes as an option to cover Bishop too, Dozzer to cover Huws and Lankester deputising for Judge. Sears goes back to being an option off Keane or Quaner, though I suspect mainly from the bench.

The one question mark is whether our full backs are good enough to offer some width on the overlap, I'm not convinced, but otherwise that looks a good way of setting up to get enough creativity and goals in the side whilst retaining a solid platform.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 8:58]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Midfield diamond? on 08:57 - Jan 18 with 2886 viewsReuser_is_God

Certainly makes sense.

However I think we’ll be sticking with 4231 - worth noring that Huws, Bishop & Judge areball lacking match sharpness at present.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Midfield diamond? on 09:01 - Jan 18 with 2854 viewsBackToRussia

Think he'll probably stick to 433. If anything we should be taking focus away from Spence and Elder, who are only adequate. I've liked the look of Sears and Lankester as inside forwards. Sears to me is in the best form of his Town career, he has found a real class to his deliveries. Lankester can't play every game but we have options there like Quaner and Edwards.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Midfield diamond? on 09:10 - Jan 18 with 2812 viewsHerbivore

Midfield diamond? on 09:01 - Jan 18 by BackToRussia

Think he'll probably stick to 433. If anything we should be taking focus away from Spence and Elder, who are only adequate. I've liked the look of Sears and Lankester as inside forwards. Sears to me is in the best form of his Town career, he has found a real class to his deliveries. Lankester can't play every game but we have options there like Quaner and Edwards.

Although we ditched the 4-3-3 at the weekend, which makes me wonder if we may be moving away from it.

Midfield diamond? on 09:12 - Jan 18 with 2802 viewsFixed_It

Midfield diamond? on 08:57 - Jan 18 by Reuser_is_God

Certainly makes sense.

However I think we’ll be sticking with 4231 - worth noring that Huws, Bishop & Judge areball lacking match sharpness at present.

Agreed- but the only way for them to get match sharpness is to play. And Judge has been playing fairly regularly so can't be too far off. Perfect opportunity to give Judge/Bishop a half each if necessary, and introduce Huws gradually.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Midfield diamond? on 09:16 - Jan 18 with 2782 viewsBackToRussia

Midfield diamond? on 09:10 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

Although we ditched the 4-3-3 at the weekend, which makes me wonder if we may be moving away from it.

To a 4231, which turns into a 433 fairly easily. Think a diamond would make us a bit weak through the middle at the moment. If Judge did come in and make a big impact though, I'd be more inclined to agree.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Midfield diamond? on 09:17 - Jan 18 with 2779 viewsHerbivore

Midfield diamond? on 09:12 - Jan 18 by Fixed_It

Agreed- but the only way for them to get match sharpness is to play. And Judge has been playing fairly regularly so can't be too far off. Perfect opportunity to give Judge/Bishop a half each if necessary, and introduce Huws gradually.

Yeah, we've got the personnel to integrate them gradually. The diamond I posted would be the ideal imo but might take a few weeks to get there with Downes and Chalobah in particular being used more in the meantime.

Midfield diamond? on 09:17 - Jan 18 with 2772 viewsKieran_Knows

Midfield diamond? on 09:12 - Jan 18 by Fixed_It

I think Judge may start tomorrow and hopefully it'll be a bit of a better game to get Huws on for some much valuable minutes.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Midfield diamond? on 09:18 - Jan 18 with 2768 viewsHerbivore

Midfield diamond? on 09:16 - Jan 18 by BackToRussia

To a 4231, which turns into a 433 fairly easily. Think a diamond would make us a bit weak through the middle at the moment. If Judge did come in and make a big impact though, I'd be more inclined to agree.

How does playing 4 CMs make you weak through the middle?

Login to get fewer ads

Midfield diamond? on 09:27 - Jan 18 with 2726 viewsBackToRussia

Midfield diamond? on 09:18 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

How does playing 4 CMs make you weak through the middle?

A fair point.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Midfield diamond? on 09:45 - Jan 18 with 2685 viewsKeaneish

I think that's exactly ow it'll play out with Sears on the left and a decision of whether its Lankester or Qunaer to start on the right. Its starting to look very promising if i'm honest.

However, it feels like we're walking an injury tight rope with Collins, Bishop, Huws and Judge.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Midfield diamond? on 09:47 - Jan 18 with 2678 viewsShropshireBluenago09

The diamond would fit well with our best team, however Shrewsbury have played this formation this season and the lack of width is a problem

Gus Uhlenbeek

Midfield diamond? on 09:50 - Jan 18 with 2666 viewsHerbivore

Midfield diamond? on 09:47 - Jan 18 by ShropshireBluenago09

The diamond would fit well with our best team, however Shrewsbury have played this formation this season and the lack of width is a problem

Yeah that's the main concern with it, you need full backs who can really get up and down to provide that width and we just don't have those.

Midfield diamond? on 09:51 - Jan 18 with 2667 viewsBiGDonnie

Probably the best post you've made.

If Bishop/Huws could keep it tight enough, offering Skuse the additional support he'd need to allow the full backs to bomb forward it could definitely work.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Midfield diamond? on 09:52 - Jan 18 with 2657 viewsHerbivore

Midfield diamond? on 09:45 - Jan 18 by Keaneish

I think that's exactly ow it'll play out with Sears on the left and a decision of whether its Lankester or Qunaer to start on the right. Its starting to look very promising if i'm honest.

However, it feels like we're walking an injury tight rope with Collins, Bishop, Huws and Judge.

You'd have Sears and Lankester/Quaner in the diamond? Interesting, can't see that personally. I'd see Lankester as an advanced midfielder/number 10 with Sears and Quaner as options up top alongside Keane.

Midfield diamond? on 09:57 - Jan 18 with 2641 viewsGuthrum

It's not just going forward the FBs might be struggling, but would also have to defend a lot harder against opposition wingers with a narrower midfield. They can't be in two places at the same time, forcing the CBs to split and leaving us very vulnerable to the cross-shot combination which has caused so much damage already this season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Midfield diamond? on 10:02 - Jan 18 with 2607 viewsGuthrum

Midfield diamond? on 09:51 - Jan 18 by BiGDonnie

Probably the best post you've made.

If Bishop/Huws could keep it tight enough, offering Skuse the additional support he'd need to allow the full backs to bomb forward it could definitely work.

Having the FBs 'bomb forward' is all well and good, but leaves us with only the two CBs facing two or three opponents in a fast-breaking counterattack situation. A recipe for trouble.

Midfield diamond? on 10:09 - Jan 18 with 2593 viewsHerbivore

Midfield diamond? on 10:02 - Jan 18 by Guthrum

Having the FBs 'bomb forward' is all well and good, but leaves us with only the two CBs facing two or three opponents in a fast-breaking counterattack situation. A recipe for trouble.

But this is where the two sides of the diamond help to cover, and in such a system you're unlikely to have both full backs pushed up at the same time.

Midfield diamond? on 10:15 - Jan 18 with 2569 viewsKeaneish

Midfield diamond? on 09:52 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

You'd have Sears and Lankester/Quaner in the diamond? Interesting, can't see that personally. I'd see Lankester as an advanced midfielder/number 10 with Sears and Quaner as options up top alongside Keane.

Missed a word out there, the key word being "or".

Either the diamond like you said or Skuse playing in a 2 man mid as the anchor alongside Bishop/Huws with Judge ahead of them and Sears and Lankester / Quaner out wide. Either of those two systems work for me but the latter is more likely because as you say, although Elder can get up and down. Pennington can't.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Midfield diamond? on 10:34 - Jan 18 with 2533 viewsHerbivore

Midfield diamond? on 10:15 - Jan 18 by Keaneish

Missed a word out there, the key word being "or".

Either the diamond like you said or Skuse playing in a 2 man mid as the anchor alongside Bishop/Huws with Judge ahead of them and Sears and Lankester / Quaner out wide. Either of those two systems work for me but the latter is more likely because as you say, although Elder can get up and down. Pennington can't.

Fair dos. My issue with the 4-2-3-1 is that I don't think you can accommodate Keane and Quaner successfully (which Lambert seems keen on) and it doesn't get the best out of our most talented midfielders. I'd question whether Huws or Bishop could really play the deeper role alongside Skuse, be more suited to Downes or Chalobah. You'd also always be leaving out a number of our better players every week in that system.

Midfield diamond? on 10:34 - Jan 18 with 2532 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Midfield diamond? on 10:09 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

But this is where the two sides of the diamond help to cover, and in such a system you're unlikely to have both full backs pushed up at the same time.

True but you require fit full backs. Elder or Kenlock could do this on the left Emmanuel is probably the best fit for the right, currently.

Gus Uhlenbeek

Midfield diamond? on 10:36 - Jan 18 with 2529 viewsGuthrum

Midfield diamond? on 10:09 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

Only one wide-man up the pitch removes the option for the long cross-field pass to wrong-foot the defence. There's also fewer options for the player to interchange passes with anybody when blocked or crowded by defenders (c.f. Knudsen/Elder and Sears for most of this season).

4-3-3 (and its variants) or 4-4-2 at least have somebody out wide who is not the same man as is also expected to be back defending when we lose the ball and the opposition break.

I just think that we can't rely on our FBs both for all of our attacking width and for preventing crosses being made in defence. Not with the options we currently have - particularly on the right, where Spence isn't the best at defending and Pennington isn't a fast attacker.

Midfield diamond? on 10:36 - Jan 18 with 2529 viewsHerbivore

Midfield diamond? on 10:34 - Jan 18 by ShropshireBluenago09

True but you require fit full backs. Elder or Kenlock could do this on the left Emmanuel is probably the best fit for the right, currently.

Ideally I'd like a new right back to come in, it's by far the weakest position in the squad.

Midfield diamond? on 10:46 - Jan 18 with 2495 viewsBiGDonnie

Midfield diamond? on 10:02 - Jan 18 by Guthrum

That's what I meant by Huws and Bishop keeping it tight enough to allow that!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Midfield diamond? on 10:56 - Jan 18 with 2479 viewsGuthrum

Midfield diamond? on 10:46 - Jan 18 by BiGDonnie

That's what I meant by Huws and Bishop keeping it tight enough to allow that!

It's not just tightness, tho, but also cover. It's very easy to lose possession in forward areas, a blocked shot or cross can fall to a defender, be passed out and they're away.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024