Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be Careful What You Wish For!! 11:32 - Jan 18 with 9507 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Martin Samuel, Martin Lipton et al.

Sorry to disappoint you, but despite our league position, I actually feel more connected to the club and more enthusiastic about the club than I have done for a good few years.

BCWYWF indeed.

F*ck you Martin.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 15:36 - Jan 18 with 2526 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 15:26 - Jan 18 by mccarthy_is_god

I think most acknowledged it was a risk but it was well worth taking because the club was completely soulless. Mick created a divide between the fans and the club which meant nobody felt connected to the club.

You say the risk has backfired but has it? results wise yes but football is more than results (contrary to Mccarthy's beliefs) and finally we feel connected to the club again. For an intelligent guy Mick was stupid for alienating the fans.

We felt more connected to the club when Hurst joined, and we felt more connected to the club when McCarthy joined

The change will only not have backfired if we get ourselves back to a similar position in the table to where we were before, as that feel good factor will eventually dissipate if results don’t improve

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 15:37 - Jan 18 with 2523 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 15:28 - Jan 18 by wkj

Thankfully I think most realise that Lambert really can only shoulder limited blame until the window shuts, then the scrutiny on him has more relevance than since he first took over.

Lambert was responsible for results from the day he joined the club. Clearly expectations of those results had to be tempered given the squad, but there’s no denying the results he’s had so far are probably the bare minimum that could have been expected

Why would he not be judged tomorrow, given the number of signings now made?

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 16:04 - Jan 18 with 2506 viewsmccarthy_is_god

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 15:36 - Jan 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

We felt more connected to the club when Hurst joined, and we felt more connected to the club when McCarthy joined

The change will only not have backfired if we get ourselves back to a similar position in the table to where we were before, as that feel good factor will eventually dissipate if results don’t improve

To an extent yes, with Mccarthy when he joined certainly - With Hurst I think there was optimism but I can't say I ever had the same feeling as now when hurst was here, even at the beginning.

You have to couple position with style of football also, if we are back in that position with a better brand of football than Mccarthy gave us then it would be more interesting.

Poll: Ban the Away Day guff?

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 16:23 - Jan 18 with 2496 viewsKieran_Knows

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 14:09 - Jan 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There are plenty of people who still insist this is better than Mick, and the OP literally amounts to as much

I too felt it was time to go - but acknowledged it was a huge risk (unlike many) and am happy to accept that it is a risk that has backfired spectacularly, unfortunately

'I too felt it was time to go - but acknowledged it was a huge risk (unlike many) and am happy to accept that it is a risk that has backfired spectacularly, unfortunately'

This is by no means a pop at you Healy, but with regards to your bit about it being a huge risk, whilst I certainly agree with that, what was the other option? Continue with Mick, crowds dwindling even further than what they were last season (13,000 at home on that Tuesday night against Barnsley) and playing turgid football, all for mid-table? Don't get me wrong, it's a safe option, and no doubt Mick would've kept the squad we had together from last season, with 3/4 'steady' additions, but I don't see how this season would've been any different to his last 2/3 here.

Yes, it's sh*t we're bottom of the league, yes it's sh*t that Evans let Hurst decimate what was a 'steady' Championship side for League 1 & 2 players, but I can't even begin to imagine how sh*t this season would've been with Mick still in charge (in terms of manager to fans relationship and visa versa).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 16:53 - Jan 18 with 2469 viewsPositivelyPortman

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 13:07 - Jan 18 by Bluefish

Give over, we are 7 points from safety and bottom of the league. Just ignore the critics if you are genuinely happier, it looks ridiculous trying desperately justify that they were wrong when they have been spot on.

Support another team if you wish and leave us alone to dream.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 17:11 - Jan 18 with 2454 viewsmanchego

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 13:40 - Jan 18 by itfcjoe

The club feels in a better place now than for some time, it is just unfortunate that it has taken falling to the bottom of the league to get here.

The togetherness between fans, players, management feels like the play off season with the wins on the road in London being great - and we are bottom of the league, it's very strange but just is how it is

yes I feel the same. 16 years of stasis was killing us and it might be relegation, and then promotion that gives us some life.
and we might stay up !
Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 17:56 - Jan 18 with 2430 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 16:23 - Jan 18 by Kieran_Knows

'I too felt it was time to go - but acknowledged it was a huge risk (unlike many) and am happy to accept that it is a risk that has backfired spectacularly, unfortunately'

This is by no means a pop at you Healy, but with regards to your bit about it being a huge risk, whilst I certainly agree with that, what was the other option? Continue with Mick, crowds dwindling even further than what they were last season (13,000 at home on that Tuesday night against Barnsley) and playing turgid football, all for mid-table? Don't get me wrong, it's a safe option, and no doubt Mick would've kept the squad we had together from last season, with 3/4 'steady' additions, but I don't see how this season would've been any different to his last 2/3 here.

Yes, it's sh*t we're bottom of the league, yes it's sh*t that Evans let Hurst decimate what was a 'steady' Championship side for League 1 & 2 players, but I can't even begin to imagine how sh*t this season would've been with Mick still in charge (in terms of manager to fans relationship and visa versa).

As dreary as that would have been it is preferable to being bottom of the league and looking like we’re going to drop into the 3rd tier for the first time in 50+ years. That was the element of risk - and as much as people may protest BCWYWF it’s gone about as badly for us as it could have done having taken that gamble, so the warning does very much ring true as it stands

Again it’s what ifs, but if we do go down and don’t come back up we’ll probably end up with lower crowds than that, and that’ll be for Fleetwood at home in League One rather than in the Championship
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 17:56]

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 19:13 - Jan 18 with 2411 viewsBluearmy71

This the best thing I have ever seen you post Marshalls_Mullet, bloody good feeling isn't it!

Very nicely put indeed!!
Login to get fewer ads

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 20:38 - Jan 18 with 2379 views3_5_2

This

I have never been more convinced that our time will come again under PL

It has been said elsewhere but its true, he just "gets it"

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 21:16 - Jan 18 with 2373 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 16:04 - Jan 18 by mccarthy_is_god

To an extent yes, with Mccarthy when he joined certainly - With Hurst I think there was optimism but I can't say I ever had the same feeling as now when hurst was here, even at the beginning.

You have to couple position with style of football also, if we are back in that position with a better brand of football than Mccarthy gave us then it would be more interesting.

I agree - but that’s a massive if

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 21:48 - Jan 18 with 2359 viewsBluearmy71

I think it was that we were more connected with the optimism of change rather than the what turned out to be an unsuccessful Paul Hurst himself, the change had been made which was embraced but it was clear to a lot of us fans that PH's football was severely lacking in all departments at an early stage!

So instead of bemoaning that the backfire of the change which is a result of a poor management team will not be seen until we are back to where we were position and points wise as a clear definition of a working change you may as well just pose the hypothetical question of where could we have been in the table if Paul Lambert was appointed our manager at the end of last season? I firmly believe as I'm sure most of us do had that been the case then the type and style of football that PL plays we would be much nearer the top!

Sometime you have to step backward to move forward and no I'm not saying we will go down with that comment, what I'm saying is we are already seeing the positive effects of what the changes at the club have brought so in itself the change is not measured about where we were under MM position wise its about the whole structure and feel of the club and the effectiveness of the changes Paul Lambert has brought to the club I would accept with open arms over league position simply because he has helped ignite the fire in our hearts with regard to both team and future that have been absent for many years!! Its ride or die and most of us are going on the ride!!
Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 22:09 - Jan 18 with 2342 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 21:48 - Jan 18 by Bluearmy71

I think it was that we were more connected with the optimism of change rather than the what turned out to be an unsuccessful Paul Hurst himself, the change had been made which was embraced but it was clear to a lot of us fans that PH's football was severely lacking in all departments at an early stage!

So instead of bemoaning that the backfire of the change which is a result of a poor management team will not be seen until we are back to where we were position and points wise as a clear definition of a working change you may as well just pose the hypothetical question of where could we have been in the table if Paul Lambert was appointed our manager at the end of last season? I firmly believe as I'm sure most of us do had that been the case then the type and style of football that PL plays we would be much nearer the top!

Sometime you have to step backward to move forward and no I'm not saying we will go down with that comment, what I'm saying is we are already seeing the positive effects of what the changes at the club have brought so in itself the change is not measured about where we were under MM position wise its about the whole structure and feel of the club and the effectiveness of the changes Paul Lambert has brought to the club I would accept with open arms over league position simply because he has helped ignite the fire in our hearts with regard to both team and future that have been absent for many years!! Its ride or die and most of us are going on the ride!!

But at the minute for Lambert all there is is optimism that he can deliver results, as his reign so far has seen us fall further adrift at the bottom, and indeed sit 23rd in the table based on the games in which he’s been here (propped up only by a Bolton side who really have been awful)

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 22:33 - Jan 18 with 2333 viewsDubtractor

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 22:09 - Jan 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

But at the minute for Lambert all there is is optimism that he can deliver results, as his reign so far has seen us fall further adrift at the bottom, and indeed sit 23rd in the table based on the games in which he’s been here (propped up only by a Bolton side who really have been awful)

To be honest, results under Lambert haven't been good enough, regardless of the mess he inherited. But...........

He is doing and saying all the right things though, and I think we need to give him the opportunity to build his own team and give him at least 18 months to see what he can do. The fact we got 21k in the ground for Rotherham, ticket offer or not, was pretty remarkable and I don't recall the fan base being as united as this in ages. We need to go with it and see where it takes us - probably down to start with, but hopefully re energised for a proper go at getting back up again.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 08:32 - Jan 19 with 2262 viewsBluearmy71

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 22:09 - Jan 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

But is it really fair to judge PL's results when for most of his games he had to choose players left by the old manager? Should we not put more emphasis on his result gathering once he is able to choose from a team of his own signings?? I.E pretty much from now on as it will now be mostly a team that is predominantly his own.
Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 12:16 - Jan 19 with 2222 viewsKeaneish

I don't agree with that. There's a vastly different atmosphere at this club now since PL has come in compared to PH and MM. The vibe under is incomparable to either, it's night and day. We've lost a load of games under PL already but there's a real energy, togetherness and momentum at the club now from top to bottom which is visible, something we haven't had for a long, long time.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 13:13 - Jan 19 with 2204 viewsChurchman

I am happy with what I wished for - McCarthy gone. I hated the way his teams played and I hated his attitude. He came across as arrogant and gave the impression of thinking he was bigger than the club. It was all about him. Yes, his Stone Age football was effective, especially when the club was in trouble, but for me it was always difficult to watch and slightly embarrassing, even in the play off season, bar a couple of games (Middlesboro for one). I didn’t see why we should have to put up with it and clearly many felt the same way. It was time for him to move on.

That Evans employed Hurst, who was clearly out of his depth, is irrelevant, as is the mess Hurst left behind.
Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 14:45 - Jan 19 with 2179 viewsStewart27

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 13:07 - Jan 18 by Bluefish

Give over, we are 7 points from safety and bottom of the league. Just ignore the critics if you are genuinely happier, it looks ridiculous trying desperately justify that they were wrong when they have been spot on.

I am genuinely happier right now 7 points adrift than I have been the last 3 years. It’s a funny old game isn’t it?

I’m prepared for the league one rebuild with Lambert at the helm. Staying up is just a bonus.
Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 15:02 - Jan 19 with 2170 viewspatrickswell

Be Careful What You Wish For!! on 16:23 - Jan 18 by Kieran_Knows

It might have been better if the creative midfielders had stayed fit. Big ask, I know but it stymied him badly last year and could have made a big difference to how that season panned out.

Lambert’s a good man and the performance of the players up to January damns them more than him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024