Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Germans have finally twigged 13:15 - Jan 18 with 9954 viewsjjblue84

They need us more than we need them, their economy is screwed, the Euro project set for a terrible year, come on Theresa pull your finger out!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46918009
The Germans have finally twigged on 00:56 - Jan 19 with 1107 viewsStNeotsBlue

The Germans have finally twigged on 15:22 - Jan 18 by m14_blue

The French army can’t be far behind ours?

Think there are several other European nations with larger armies too, although perhaps not as technologically advanced.

Your first statement is either a very funny gag that has sailed over my head or just wrong.
The Germans have finally twigged on 01:03 - Jan 19 with 1095 viewsm14_blue

The Germans have finally twigged on 00:56 - Jan 19 by StNeotsBlue

Your first statement is either a very funny gag that has sailed over my head or just wrong.

The latter I’m afraid!

Not my area of expertise at all but I know they have a large defence budget and large numbers across all 3 forces. A quick google suggests we are the 6th and 5th most powerful militaries in the world respectively?
The Germans have finally twigged on 01:26 - Jan 19 with 1079 viewsEireannach_gorm

The Germans have finally twigged on 23:55 - Jan 18 by jjblue84

The beginning of the end of the EU, it’s going to be beautiful!

Its more likely the beginning of the end of the UK. Get ready for a border poll as part of the Good Friday Agreement if there is a no deal Brexit.
The Germans have finally twigged on 02:12 - Jan 19 with 1056 viewsconnorscontract

The Germans have finally twigged on 15:53 - Jan 18 by Lord_Lucan

It's affected by uncertainty rather than the result - at this present time anyway.

And in what sector? The retail sector (High Street) is affected by online sales. The high street will no longer exist at this rate.

I walked into my office yesterday for the first time this year only to open my mail and find out that two of my customers have gone into administration - one of them has knocked me for £25k!

This is nothing to do with BREXIT.

The government needs to introduce a mail order tax sharpish otherwise the bricks and mortar retail industry is screwed.

Sh1t! Bad news- sorry to hear that.
The Germans have finally twigged on 05:13 - Jan 19 with 1028 viewsRyorry

The Germans have finally twigged on 19:50 - Jan 18 by linhdi

As the Germans put it, Russia and the USA won WW2. We had a bit part.

Would FDR & the USA have weighed in at all in WW2 if not for Churchill & the UK? Don't think so.

Not to mention the massive part played by Alan Turing & Bletchley Park codebreaking.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 5:38]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

YOU FECKIN WHAT? on 05:15 - Jan 19 with 1028 viewsRyorry

YOU FECKIN WHAT? on 18:58 - Jan 18 by Whymarkmariner

I was merely pointing out the ungratefulness of our so called allies across the English Channel. Even the French don't like Macron. He's a jumped up little turd who should concentrate on selling his smelly cheese and butt out of trying to cripple the UK with his Brexit demands.

That must be one of the most unconsciously funny (not in a good way) things ever posted on this forum :(

The Germans have finally twigged on 08:46 - Jan 19 with 985 viewsconnorscontract

The Germans have finally twigged on 19:50 - Jan 18 by linhdi

As the Germans put it, Russia and the USA won WW2. We had a bit part.

This thread went Godwin quickly!

But just as people saying "we won the war" is one-eyed, to say Britain has only a bit part is a huge over-reaction the other way.

Had the primarily British and Commonwealth forces not held out in North Africa and the Middle East, and then eventually won and pushed into Italy, Hitler would have had access to as much oil as he needed.

Had the British Royal and Merchant Navies not operated the Arctic convoy, and brought in vital supplies, Russia may not have been able to mount the defence that she did. Without the Atlantic convoy there wouldn't have been enough supplies to share with Russia, either.

Had the primarily British and Commonwealth forces not held the UK, Hitler would have been able to fight the Russians at a time of his choosing.

I am not minimising the loss of tens of millions of Russians, but had the British and Commonwealth forces not occupied the Wehrmacht on two fronts, then the full force of Hitler's war machine would have been focused on Russia for as long as it took, and the best Panzer divisions, Generals and bombing capacity of the Luftwaffe would have been moved from France and North Africa to Eastern Europe.

Had the RAF lost the Battle of Britain, and been destroyed, then the Royal Navy would have lost air cover and been vulnerable to the Luftwaffe as well as U Boats, and would have lost the Channel. Then the invasion of Britain would have followed.

Of course the RAF would have lost the Battle of Britain were it not for 303 Squadron, and others like it, comprised of primarily Polish and Czech pilots (the most successful Battle of Britain squadron), and other squadrons of Commonwealth pilots.

Without the RAF and the Royal Navy holding out, the USA would have never entered the war. Even when it did, British, French and Commonwealth forces made up a huge proportion of the D Day forces. Without Britain as a staging post the USA could not have fought back against Germany at all, even had there been political will for that in the USA. And D Day itself could not have been a success without PLUTO and Mulberry harbours, and other British inventions, the work of SOE and British military intelligence in convincing the Germans of an attack in the Pas De Calais, and the work of Turing and all at Bletchley Park in cracking Enigma and other intercepts.

Bit part? Nah. More like everybody played their part, and the Americans or Russians couldn't have defeated the Germans without the British and Commonwealth forces holding the Western and Southern fronts, and numerically small but vital contribution from Eastern European airmen.

And that's before we get to the British and Commonwealth contribution in the Far East which was an important, and I would say vital, component in what is seen as the US victory over Japan.
YOU FECKIN WHAT? on 09:34 - Jan 19 with 967 viewsnoggin

YOU FECKIN WHAT? on 05:15 - Jan 19 by Ryorry

That must be one of the most unconsciously funny (not in a good way) things ever posted on this forum :(

"Selling his smelly cheese and butt"

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

The Germans have finally twigged on 09:36 - Jan 19 with 964 viewsRyorry

The Germans have finally twigged on 08:46 - Jan 19 by connorscontract

This thread went Godwin quickly!

But just as people saying "we won the war" is one-eyed, to say Britain has only a bit part is a huge over-reaction the other way.

Had the primarily British and Commonwealth forces not held out in North Africa and the Middle East, and then eventually won and pushed into Italy, Hitler would have had access to as much oil as he needed.

Had the British Royal and Merchant Navies not operated the Arctic convoy, and brought in vital supplies, Russia may not have been able to mount the defence that she did. Without the Atlantic convoy there wouldn't have been enough supplies to share with Russia, either.

Had the primarily British and Commonwealth forces not held the UK, Hitler would have been able to fight the Russians at a time of his choosing.

I am not minimising the loss of tens of millions of Russians, but had the British and Commonwealth forces not occupied the Wehrmacht on two fronts, then the full force of Hitler's war machine would have been focused on Russia for as long as it took, and the best Panzer divisions, Generals and bombing capacity of the Luftwaffe would have been moved from France and North Africa to Eastern Europe.

Had the RAF lost the Battle of Britain, and been destroyed, then the Royal Navy would have lost air cover and been vulnerable to the Luftwaffe as well as U Boats, and would have lost the Channel. Then the invasion of Britain would have followed.

Of course the RAF would have lost the Battle of Britain were it not for 303 Squadron, and others like it, comprised of primarily Polish and Czech pilots (the most successful Battle of Britain squadron), and other squadrons of Commonwealth pilots.

Without the RAF and the Royal Navy holding out, the USA would have never entered the war. Even when it did, British, French and Commonwealth forces made up a huge proportion of the D Day forces. Without Britain as a staging post the USA could not have fought back against Germany at all, even had there been political will for that in the USA. And D Day itself could not have been a success without PLUTO and Mulberry harbours, and other British inventions, the work of SOE and British military intelligence in convincing the Germans of an attack in the Pas De Calais, and the work of Turing and all at Bletchley Park in cracking Enigma and other intercepts.

Bit part? Nah. More like everybody played their part, and the Americans or Russians couldn't have defeated the Germans without the British and Commonwealth forces holding the Western and Southern fronts, and numerically small but vital contribution from Eastern European airmen.

And that's before we get to the British and Commonwealth contribution in the Far East which was an important, and I would say vital, component in what is seen as the US victory over Japan.

Comprehensive - nay positively Guthers level - response there CC! +1

There was an extremely interesting 'Impossible Engineering' feature on the Mulberry harbours on Yesterday channel 19 freeview about a week ago.

YOU FECKIN WHAT? on 09:39 - Jan 19 with 960 viewsRyorry

YOU FECKIN WHAT? on 09:34 - Jan 19 by noggin

"Selling his smelly cheese and butt"

Indeed!

The Germans have finally twigged on 14:31 - Jan 19 with 902 viewsjjblue84

The Germans have finally twigged on 01:26 - Jan 19 by Eireannach_gorm

Its more likely the beginning of the end of the UK. Get ready for a border poll as part of the Good Friday Agreement if there is a no deal Brexit.

NI was lost when we surrendered to the IRA in 98...no way back from that discraceful decision!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024