Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cobbold Family 14:27 - Jan 18 with 2632 viewsFrimleyBlue

Am I right in thinking before Sir Bobby took over alot of people questioned the running of the club under the cobbold family?

I just remember hearing stories of Sir Bobby really getting involved in all aspects of the club as it needed guidance.

Are we seeing a similar situation with Lambert and Evans.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Cobbold Family on 14:30 - Jan 18 with 2605 viewsLord_Lucan

No

The internet didn't exist then

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Cobbold Family on 14:35 - Jan 18 with 2590 viewschicoazul

John Cobbold let SBR get on with running the club to to bottom, that was his job as it was for most Managers in those days, they ran the entire show. Cobbold ran the finances and got everyone drunk on Saturday night.

John Cobbold is the most important and greatest figure in ITFC history btw, for anyone not already aware of that.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cobbold Family on 14:39 - Jan 18 with 2577 viewswkj

Football wasn't moneyball then - so chairmen come under less/no scrutiny back then. And to echo the othe rpoint made in replies, the Manager was a Manager then not just a head coach.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cobbold Family on 14:40 - Jan 18 with 2578 viewsfactual_blue

The only story I recall is post-Sir Bobby, and was broadly that they didn't understand what a mortgage was when they invested in the Pioneer Stand.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cobbold Family on 14:42 - Jan 18 with 2564 viewsfactual_blue

Cobbold Family on 14:39 - Jan 18 by wkj

Football wasn't moneyball then - so chairmen come under less/no scrutiny back then. And to echo the othe rpoint made in replies, the Manager was a Manager then not just a head coach.

Many chairmen (not saying this applied to the Cobbolds) simply stuffed the gate money in a bag and took it home after every game.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cobbold Family on 14:58 - Jan 18 with 2523 viewsDeano69

Cobbold Family on 14:30 - Jan 18 by Lord_Lucan

No

The internet didn't exist then

Nor did football, pre-Premier League

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Not just Saturday night on 15:06 - Jan 18 with 2499 viewsDyland

Cobbold Family on 14:35 - Jan 18 by chicoazul

John Cobbold let SBR get on with running the club to to bottom, that was his job as it was for most Managers in those days, they ran the entire show. Cobbold ran the finances and got everyone drunk on Saturday night.

John Cobbold is the most important and greatest figure in ITFC history btw, for anyone not already aware of that.

dear boy

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Not just Saturday night on 15:40 - Jan 18 with 2459 viewschicoazul

Not just Saturday night on 15:06 - Jan 18 by Dyland

dear boy

*hic*

What was it SBR said? "If I had wanted an easy life I would have stayed with Ipswich, driving my Jag into training and getting pssed with the Chairman every weekend"

Have you seen this btw, you'll recognise the poster i'm sure and the old bad habits are there but as always he makes some excellent points; https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21767/the-long-and-winding-decline/#0

(in fact, everyone should read that blog, espec our younger TWTDers)

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Cobbold Family on 16:55 - Jan 18 with 2399 viewsPendejo

Cobbold Family on 14:35 - Jan 18 by chicoazul

Agree re Mr. John's importance in the history of ITFC.

Patrick wasn't able to replace him and the club started its downward trajectory. The fanzine "Load of old Cobbolds" is an example of the negative connotation that the name took on.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Cobbold Family on 17:08 - Jan 18 with 2359 viewsLord_Lucan

Cobbold Family on 16:55 - Jan 18 by Pendejo

Agree re Mr. John's importance in the history of ITFC.

Patrick wasn't able to replace him and the club started its downward trajectory. The fanzine "Load of old Cobbolds" is an example of the negative connotation that the name took on.

John Cobbold stepped down as chairman in 1976

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Cobbold Family on 17:51 - Jan 18 with 2267 viewsblueislander

Cobbold Family on 14:58 - Jan 18 by Deano69

Nor did football, pre-Premier League

No. That is when football became a very unpleasant business, solely concerned with money.
Cobbold Family on 17:52 - Jan 18 with 2263 viewsblueislander

Cobbold Family on 17:08 - Jan 18 by Lord_Lucan

John Cobbold stepped down as chairman in 1976

Indeed. Mr. Patrick was a far better Chairman, if not as “ charismatic”.
Cobbold Family on 18:16 - Jan 18 with 2223 viewsDeano69

Cobbold Family on 17:51 - Jan 18 by blueislander

No. That is when football became a very unpleasant business, solely concerned with money.

Sadly so.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Not just Saturday night on 20:00 - Jan 18 with 2143 viewsDyland

Not just Saturday night on 15:40 - Jan 18 by chicoazul

*hic*

What was it SBR said? "If I had wanted an easy life I would have stayed with Ipswich, driving my Jag into training and getting pssed with the Chairman every weekend"

Have you seen this btw, you'll recognise the poster i'm sure and the old bad habits are there but as always he makes some excellent points; https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21767/the-long-and-winding-decline/#0

(in fact, everyone should read that blog, espec our younger TWTDers)

There are a couple of good points but they're drowning in the same old low tide sea of miserable stuck in the mud bollix.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 20:00]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cobbold Family on 20:19 - Jan 18 with 2091 viewsElephantintheRoom

Nope - the club WAS the Cobbolds right theough to the early 80s. You could question how they ran their brewery but not the club. The East Stand development was a fine example of prudent housekeeping - done in two stages so that it was affordable. The West Stand development was disastrous but the board was spilt and the deciding vote was none other than Bobby Robson.... voting with his heart not his head.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024