Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town related article ideas 15:45 - Jan 18 with 4646 viewsManningtreeBlue99

Hi all.
I am a 2nd year sports journalism student at Southampton Solent University. I have been set a free reign set of assignments and being a lifelong Town fan I want to do something related to us. I'm kind of stuck for ideas though?

What would you enjoy reading an article on as fans? Any ideas and help very much appreciated!

Thanks
Town related article ideas on 16:01 - Jan 18 with 4613 viewsjontysnut

look at the 2005 FA Youth Cup final Town v Saints - where are players now, compare youth set ups, prospects for this year
Town related article ideas on 16:03 - Jan 18 with 4601 viewschicoazul

Banter Era Nov 2007 - date.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Town related article ideas on 16:04 - Jan 18 with 4598 viewsmonty_radio

What about constructing a survey for those who remember the glory days seeking to establish what it was like as a fan then: the expectations, the atmosphere: the differences at work/school that success brought. Then trace the downgrade and the way support fell away - then, of course, there's now.

BTW - It's free "rein", unless you've been given licence to rule.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Town related article ideas on 16:10 - Jan 18 with 4576 viewsfactual_blue

The availability of healthy food options in concourse catering.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Town related article ideas on 16:12 - Jan 18 with 4571 viewsKieran_Knows

Town related article ideas on 16:03 - Jan 18 by chicoazul

Banter Era Nov 2007 - date.

Paul Hurst era - May 2018-October 2018.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Town related article ideas on 16:15 - Jan 18 with 4551 viewsParisBlue

The changing demographics of ITFC supporters and the long term consequences.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Town related article ideas on 19:29 - Jan 18 with 4453 viewsManningtreeBlue99

Town related article ideas on 16:01 - Jan 18 by jontysnut

look at the 2005 FA Youth Cup final Town v Saints - where are players now, compare youth set ups, prospects for this year

That's a great idea, I'll definitely do that as one, cheers!
Town related article ideas on 19:29 - Jan 18 with 4451 viewsManningtreeBlue99

Town related article ideas on 16:15 - Jan 18 by ParisBlue

The changing demographics of ITFC supporters and the long term consequences.

good idea! thank you
Login to get fewer ads

Town related article ideas on 19:45 - Jan 18 with 4413 viewschristiand

Ipswich Town's best starting XI of all time.

All the best with your course ManningtreeBlue, wish I had done something like that!!!
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 20:19]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Town related article ideas on 19:50 - Jan 18 with 4397 viewsjjblue84

Nope, nothing really of note to write about in our worst season in history...but I’m sure you’ll think of something!
Town related article ideas on 20:14 - Jan 18 with 4374 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The link between money spent and league position (or myth of it).

Factor total transfer fees for entire squad rather than simply season spend.

Could then extrapolate which managers made best and worst use of resources too. Would need to factor in market value bearing in mind the unique inflation that has occurred in football transfer fees.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Town related article ideas on 20:24 - Jan 18 with 4355 viewsxrayspecs

How football fans consumption of news has changed over time.

- Pre-internet. Limited print and broadcast media. MOTD / The Big Match on ITV, and occasional live game. Regional media only available in the region i.e no Radio Suffolk commentary outside where the analogue signal could reach. Teletext. Hourly sports bulletin updates after the news. Premium number club call phone lines.
- Expansion of broadcast media. Sky etc, More channels, more games broadcast live.
- Expansion of digital media - use of alternative channels, broadcasting press conferences via facebook. Twitter.
- 24/7 news - transfer deadline day live with the annual conversation with Harry as he drove out of the club car park.
- Rise of fake media

May be worth interviewing Phil on how his role as a journalist has changed over the last xx years. He would have lived through most of this after all.

As a student in London in the early 1990s, I used to make a detour from college in Central London to where I lived in North London via Liverpool Street so that I could buy the EADT. It was my only way to keep up with Ipswich news.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 20:25]
Town related article ideas on 20:49 - Jan 18 with 4317 viewsSuperfrans

When I was doing my NCTJ journalism course many years ago, we had to interview a sporting figure - I managed to get a contact number for Roger Osborne, met him in what is now the Holiday Inn outside the town. Brilliant stuff. Never forgotten it.

Why not drop Lambert an email, explain your assignment and ask if you can interview him. Even a phoner sometime. He can only say no - and I bet he says yes...

Maybe come up with a particular angle too - what is it like being the first man to manage Ipswich, Norwich and Colchester. What are the differences, the different challenges etc?

If Lambert is impossible to pin, you could approach Terry Butcher pre-match sometime. He’s in the Fanzone each Saturday before the match. I’m sure he’d agree to do it too.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Town related article ideas on 21:15 - Jan 18 with 4280 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Town related article ideas on 20:49 - Jan 18 by Superfrans

When I was doing my NCTJ journalism course many years ago, we had to interview a sporting figure - I managed to get a contact number for Roger Osborne, met him in what is now the Holiday Inn outside the town. Brilliant stuff. Never forgotten it.

Why not drop Lambert an email, explain your assignment and ask if you can interview him. Even a phoner sometime. He can only say no - and I bet he says yes...

Maybe come up with a particular angle too - what is it like being the first man to manage Ipswich, Norwich and Colchester. What are the differences, the different challenges etc?

If Lambert is impossible to pin, you could approach Terry Butcher pre-match sometime. He’s in the Fanzone each Saturday before the match. I’m sure he’d agree to do it too.

I suspect you'd have to go through the Town Press Office to get hold of anybody within the club these days. Probably Steve Pearce or even Grant Pringle these days - Grant is actually listed as the Press Office contact on the Town site: https://www.itfc.co.uk/contact-us/

Former players like Terry Butcher are a good shout though, as there would probably be fewer formalities to go through.
Town related article ideas on 21:24 - Jan 18 with 4260 viewsMelford

I always think there's not been enough written about John Lyall's Town team. The promotion season and our stint in the top flight back then, that promotion meant we were one of the first Premier League teams

This was the first year of football on Sky, the birth of the monster.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Town related article ideas on 21:33 - Jan 18 with 4245 viewsParisBlue

Town related article ideas on 20:24 - Jan 18 by xrayspecs

How football fans consumption of news has changed over time.

- Pre-internet. Limited print and broadcast media. MOTD / The Big Match on ITV, and occasional live game. Regional media only available in the region i.e no Radio Suffolk commentary outside where the analogue signal could reach. Teletext. Hourly sports bulletin updates after the news. Premium number club call phone lines.
- Expansion of broadcast media. Sky etc, More channels, more games broadcast live.
- Expansion of digital media - use of alternative channels, broadcasting press conferences via facebook. Twitter.
- 24/7 news - transfer deadline day live with the annual conversation with Harry as he drove out of the club car park.
- Rise of fake media

May be worth interviewing Phil on how his role as a journalist has changed over the last xx years. He would have lived through most of this after all.

As a student in London in the early 1990s, I used to make a detour from college in Central London to where I lived in North London via Liverpool Street so that I could buy the EADT. It was my only way to keep up with Ipswich news.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 20:25]

I lived in Sydney from 93-95. My only option for ITFC results - generally defeats - was either listening to world service at some ungodly hour (that’s how I followed our last day escape thanks to Mark Stein) or the international express the following Wednesday.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Town related article ideas on 21:40 - Jan 18 with 4226 viewsxrayspecs

Town related article ideas on 21:33 - Jan 18 by ParisBlue

I lived in Sydney from 93-95. My only option for ITFC results - generally defeats - was either listening to world service at some ungodly hour (that’s how I followed our last day escape thanks to Mark Stein) or the international express the following Wednesday.

That reminds me.

The season we won the play-offs at Wembley, I was in New York for work for the second leg of the play off semi versus Bolton.

The only way I could follow the game was to phone my sister from the hotel room and ask her to leave her handset next to the radio so I could listen to the radio suffolk commentary. One of the longest afternoons of my life, pacing around the hotel room, kicking every ball and working my way through the mini-bar.

Needless to say, I was in no state, mentally or physically to go out for dinner (around midnight UK time) with work colleagues.

One of my more expensive hotel bills too.

TWTD!
Town related article ideas on 21:40 - Jan 18 with 4230 viewsmonty_radio

Town related article ideas on 19:29 - Jan 18 by ManningtreeBlue99

That's a great idea, I'll definitely do that as one, cheers!

This one about following the subsequent histories of the 2005 Youth Final would give you a good lead into the chances / pitfalls of making the grade as a professional.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 21:42]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024