Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here we go 22:49 - Jan 18 with 925 viewsmillgreenblue

Last night I had the pleasure of attending the Theatre Royal to enjoy an evening listening to Bryan Hamilton, Terry Butcher and Matt Holland with an occasional comment from Big Al in the audience. Then today I had the pleasure of reading that come what may Paul Lambert and his staff will be with us next season.
Since my first match at Portman Road in 1967 I have witnessed some amazing highs and some pretty miserable lows. I have great respect for Mick McCarthy for pulling us out of the mire and keeping us competitive but once he started to treat the fans with disdain the writing was on the wall. That combined with the ordinary results and the boring style of football meant that his departure was inevitable.I was delighted with the idea of employing a young and upcoming manager with a point to prove and with the ability to bring young and hungry and capable players in from the lower leagues to break us out of the rather boring routine into which we had fallen in recent years. But for whatever reason it did not work out and I don't think there were many who thought that a change was not needed and credit Marcus Evans for making it. But credit him more for the choice that he has now made. To say that things were flat when Paul Hurst left would be putting it mildly. But look at us now. The odds are still stacked against us but the atmosphere could not be more positive. And that is solely due to one man and and the effect that he and his staff have had on the whole club by which I mean players, employees and supporters. The word galvanised does not come close. And today we are told that Paul Lambert and his staff will be here next season whatever happens. Much as though I would love it if we managed to upset the overwhelming odds and stay up I will not be devastated if we don't. We are getting our club back and if that process needs to continue in League One then so be it.
The affection that Messrs Hamilton, Butcher and Holland have for the club was plain to see last night and now we seem to have ourselves a manager who completely gets what the club is all about and who has in a very short time created positivity out of what was a depressingly negative situation.
I will forever be grateful to my late grandparents for taking me to my first match at Portman Road in 1967. It is a club which means so much to all of us and while our current league position is far from healthy it is a long while since I felt so positive about our prospects. If we are relegated then we are relegated, if we stay up then we stay up. But whatever happens we support Ipswich Town Football Club and that is all that matters.
Here we go on 00:41 - Jan 19 with 836 viewsEdwardStone

And tonight I was in a comfy boozer in Bristol listening to Russell Osman saying very similar positive things about Paul Lambert and his galvanising effect he has worked on our players

We live in exciting times....Club and Country in ongoing meltdown scenarios. Somehow I feel much more confident in a rosy future for ITFC than poor old Blighty at the moment.

Paul Lambert for PM?

Here we go on 01:07 - Jan 19 with 820 viewsGuthrum

Here we go on 00:41 - Jan 19 by EdwardStone

And tonight I was in a comfy boozer in Bristol listening to Russell Osman saying very similar positive things about Paul Lambert and his galvanising effect he has worked on our players

We live in exciting times....Club and Country in ongoing meltdown scenarios. Somehow I feel much more confident in a rosy future for ITFC than poor old Blighty at the moment.

Paul Lambert for PM?

Russell Osman was, as ever, very good value.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Here we go on 11:01 - Jan 19 with 677 viewsEdwardStone

Here we go on 01:07 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

Russell Osman was, as ever, very good value.

One of the more memorable discussions was about players hunger to win matches back in the day....Russell was saying that his wages were about £70 per week but about £200 winners bonus per match....and this figure could be much higher if you were in the top part of the table

No way would anyone on the team put in anything less than maximum effort, there was no one hiding, no one cruising; everyone wanted that winners bonus.

As Russell said, it paid for a tank of heating oil
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024