Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' 09:09 - Jan 19 with 8249 viewsPauLambertIsABlue

I keep reading this sort of thing on here:

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL'

What on earth are these people on about?

We've had a turnover of 20 players in 6 months and since PL started he's done an amazing job all round, including the introduction of a completely different style of football which is incredible considering how awful it was for the previous 6 years or so.

Just as impressive is how he, and ME I'd suspect, have also started to reconnect with the fans in a big way, which again was a massive ask after the mess MM left in relation to this side of things.

The video kicking around of those lads singing and bouncing around in the north stand concourse after the Rotherham game I presume, are just great. First thing I did with that one was share it with everyone on my mobile phone cos I've started to feel a bit more proud to be an ITFC fan again.

The other video where the camera man is on the pitch and PL starts pointing at the team as if to say the players should take the credit is also really really good to see.

Last of all, Monday mornings are starting to be a bit more bearable when I get to work. The Leeds fan in my ear hasn't had as much to say lately!

Long way to go but results will come good sooner rather than later.

[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 9:11]
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:19 - Jan 19 with 5442 viewsHerbivore

Taking away all of the excellent PR and community work he's done it is completely fair to say he's not hit the ground running in terms of results. Performances have also been patchy.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:31 - Jan 19 with 5394 viewsPauLambertIsABlue

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:19 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Taking away all of the excellent PR and community work he's done it is completely fair to say he's not hit the ground running in terms of results. Performances have also been patchy.

Two completely different viewpoints there. Glass half empty........

When he first came in you'd not have dreamt of the improvement in the performances we've seen, considering the dross he had to work with from the last two managers.

Did you go to Reading for an example? On the whole a massive improvement and cause for optimism no? I think we can allow them a few crap performances like Accrington in amongst them all.
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:32 - Jan 19 with 5383 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:19 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

For the last 6 games we are something like 14th in the form table.

Not sure what expectations were, Hurst left a shambles.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:35 - Jan 19 with 5371 viewsColchesterBlue1985

As someone who has quoted those exact words don’t over analyse them.

By we haven’t hit the ground running, I meant we haven’t hit the ground running.

I don’t necessarily blame him it’s just a fact.
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:40 - Jan 19 with 5337 viewsHerbivore

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:31 - Jan 19 by PauLambertIsABlue

Two completely different viewpoints there. Glass half empty........

When he first came in you'd not have dreamt of the improvement in the performances we've seen, considering the dross he had to work with from the last two managers.

Did you go to Reading for an example? On the whole a massive improvement and cause for optimism no? I think we can allow them a few crap performances like Accrington in amongst them all.

I've been to all the home games. Performances have been very patchy, a few good halves and some atrocious ones. Thankfully we've held on for two much needed 1-0 wins in that time and that gives us something to build on. Both games were terrible mind you. So yeah, I do think it's fair to say we've not really hit the ground running on the pitch. We've taken 9 points from 12 games. Compare that to our last proper manager who took over in similar circumstances and you'll see the difference. I think Lambert has done a lot right and I want him to be here long term but on the pitch it's been a 6 out of 10 kind of job.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:41 - Jan 19 with 5331 viewsPauLambertIsABlue

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:35 - Jan 19 by ColchesterBlue1985

As someone who has quoted those exact words don’t over analyse them.

By we haven’t hit the ground running, I meant we haven’t hit the ground running.

I don’t necessarily blame him it’s just a fact.

ColchesterBlue1985, I've just read your last few posts.

Aren't you a little optimistic?
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:47 - Jan 19 with 5305 viewsHerbivore

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:32 - Jan 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

For the last 6 games we are something like 14th in the form table.

Not sure what expectations were, Hurst left a shambles.

I wasn't expecting miracles but I was expecting a bit more than 9 points from 12 games. I'm supportive of Lambert and he's done a lot of good but results and performances haven't been great. The form table does look better currently (though unlikely to be good enough to keep us up) as it includes both our wins under Lambert. Let's hope after today our 6 game form still includes 2 wins.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:47 - Jan 19 with 5297 viewsPauLambertIsABlue

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:41 - Jan 19 by PauLambertIsABlue

ColchesterBlue1985, I've just read your last few posts.

Aren't you a little optimistic?

Login to get fewer ads

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:53 - Jan 19 with 5274 viewsthebooks

I like Lambert a lot, and think we may have a great season in League One next year. I'm really glad he's staying and have enjoyed his time so far at PR.

He would have been a great choice at the start of the season, although for some reason Town fans became obsessed with getting a younghungrytracksuit manager and it probably would have been an unpopular appointment.

However, he *has* failed to turn us round. I know Hurst left a mess, but I would hope someone of his experience would get better results regardless.

Instead, he's got it wrong on the pitch. However awful it seems, we needed a far more pragmatic McCarthyesque approach, not concentrating on passing it out from the back and playing the "right way". Relegation will be disastrous, and I don't think we've looked like avoiding it under PL.

I've seen every home since he was appointed and we were lucky to beat Wigan and Rotherham, and lucky to draw against Sheff U. Positive performances have been limited to good first halves and calamatious collapses versus Brentford, Bristol City and Millwall (where we were excellent; you could see what the future might be).

Could be wrong though. Be fantastic if we somehow kept up, but don't see it now.
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:09 - Jan 19 with 5198 viewsPauLambertIsABlue

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:53 - Jan 19 by thebooks

I like Lambert a lot, and think we may have a great season in League One next year. I'm really glad he's staying and have enjoyed his time so far at PR.

He would have been a great choice at the start of the season, although for some reason Town fans became obsessed with getting a younghungrytracksuit manager and it probably would have been an unpopular appointment.

However, he *has* failed to turn us round. I know Hurst left a mess, but I would hope someone of his experience would get better results regardless.

Instead, he's got it wrong on the pitch. However awful it seems, we needed a far more pragmatic McCarthyesque approach, not concentrating on passing it out from the back and playing the "right way". Relegation will be disastrous, and I don't think we've looked like avoiding it under PL.

I've seen every home since he was appointed and we were lucky to beat Wigan and Rotherham, and lucky to draw against Sheff U. Positive performances have been limited to good first halves and calamatious collapses versus Brentford, Bristol City and Millwall (where we were excellent; you could see what the future might be).

Could be wrong though. Be fantastic if we somehow kept up, but don't see it now.

Maybe my blind optimism has been affected by the away games.

Am I getting too carried away do you think?

Just put a cheeky £5 bet on Ipswich to win 2-1 this afternoon with Jack Lancaster to score first & Ipswich to stay up, combined together gives you 675/1.

Same bet with Will Keane first goalscorer. 450/1.

Same again with James Collins to score first, 2250/1.

I guess the odds don't lie!
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:12 - Jan 19 with 5177 viewsOxford_Blue

It’s because many football fans aren’t that bright.
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:14 - Jan 19 with 5166 viewsHerbivore

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:09 - Jan 19 by PauLambertIsABlue

Just put a cheeky £5 bet on Ipswich to win 2-1 this afternoon with Jack Lancaster to score first & Ipswich to stay up, combined together gives you 675/1.

You're blindly optimistic because of the away games? We've taken 1 point from from 5 away games in the league and we got dumped out of the cup by Accrington.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:15 - Jan 19 with 5157 viewsHerbivore

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:12 - Jan 19 by Oxford_Blue

It’s because many football fans aren’t that bright.

Yourself included.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:17 - Jan 19 with 5151 viewsGuthrum

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:47 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

I wasn't expecting miracles but I was expecting a bit more than 9 points from 12 games. I'm supportive of Lambert and he's done a lot of good but results and performances haven't been great. The form table does look better currently (though unlikely to be good enough to keep us up) as it includes both our wins under Lambert. Let's hope after today our 6 game form still includes 2 wins.

The very fact we have two wins within six is better than we could have said at any other point in the season!

I did think (and posted) that I hoped Lambert could get more out of the squad he inherited. But, from everything I've seen and heard, I was wrong. There was simply not enough quality at a sufficient level to be competitive in the Championship. Until just one League game ago, Lambert could only work with what he had - and it was manifestly not good enough.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:24 - Jan 19 with 5126 viewsHerbivore

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:17 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

The very fact we have two wins within six is better than we could have said at any other point in the season!

I did think (and posted) that I hoped Lambert could get more out of the squad he inherited. But, from everything I've seen and heard, I was wrong. There was simply not enough quality at a sufficient level to be competitive in the Championship. Until just one League game ago, Lambert could only work with what he had - and it was manifestly not good enough.

I think even taking into account the squad he inherited, 9 points from 12 games is disappointing.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:32 - Jan 19 with 5086 viewschristiand

We've certainly not had a new manager 'bounce' with PL, but as other posters have alluded to the squad of players that PL had at his disposal just weren't good enough. I see this more as a long term project now and it gives PL and his staff time to build something from the start and develop from there. Hand on heart, I feel it's too late for us this season, but there'll be plenty of optimism going into the next one in League One and I feel we're in much safer hands now. All PL's hard work in trying to reconnect the club with the supporters will help to rebuild the foundations too.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 10:43]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:34 - Jan 19 with 5071 viewsPauLambertIsABlue

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:14 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

You're blindly optimistic because of the away games? We've taken 1 point from from 5 away games in the league and we got dumped out of the cup by Accrington.

Lol.

I meant performances rather than results and Accrington I didn't do.

Have you seen them all?

I know performances mean nothing without results but they have improved enough to give hope which wasn't there before surely?
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:36 - Jan 19 with 5065 viewsFrimleyBlue

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:17 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

Look this is gonna hurt me to say this so bare with

With all the hate i gave Hurst... I appreciate what he achieved at other clubs. Therefore he's no mug.

So for me. If a manager like Hurst couldn't get results with the players he scouted and signed... Why do people believe Lambert should have done?

80% of the squad this season have been playing in a league out of their depth... This includes our own youngsters.. not saying they won't be great players but mixed together it's not a recipe for success.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:41 - Jan 19 with 5044 viewsGuthrum

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:32 - Jan 19 by christiand

We've certainly not had a new manager 'bounce' with PL, but as other posters have alluded to the squad of players that PL had at his disposal just weren't good enough. I see this more as a long term project now and it gives PL and his staff time to build something from the start and develop from there. Hand on heart, I feel it's too late for us this season, but there'll be plenty of optimism going into the next one in League One and I feel we're in much safer hands now. All PL's hard work in trying to reconnect the club with the supporters will help to rebuild the foundations too.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 10:43]

A "new manager bounce" can only occur when the situation has been of the manager holding the players back. If the squad itself is not up to scratch, there's nothing to bounce with.

In previous seasons, the new bloke was quite likely to have been able to bring in a player or two immediately, under the "emergency" loan system, to rectify that. But such a thing no longer exists, with transfers strictly confined to the narrow summer and January windows.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:45 - Jan 19 with 5021 viewsGuthrum

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:36 - Jan 19 by FrimleyBlue

Look this is gonna hurt me to say this so bare with

With all the hate i gave Hurst... I appreciate what he achieved at other clubs. Therefore he's no mug.

So for me. If a manager like Hurst couldn't get results with the players he scouted and signed... Why do people believe Lambert should have done?

80% of the squad this season have been playing in a league out of their depth... This includes our own youngsters.. not saying they won't be great players but mixed together it's not a recipe for success.

It's the fact that key areas of the team (the attacking and goalscoring element, for example) were almost totally reliant on youths and lower division fresh recruits.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:45 - Jan 19 with 5020 viewsHerbivore

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:34 - Jan 19 by PauLambertIsABlue

Lol.

I meant performances rather than results and Accrington I didn't do.

Have you seen them all?

I know performances mean nothing without results but they have improved enough to give hope which wasn't there before surely?

Bar Reading we've lost our away games in the league under Lambert by at least 2 clear goals. We've found the net in one away game since he joined. I'm not seeing what you're seeing, but I have hope that with the new signings we will start picking up more points. Hopefully starting today.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:46 - Jan 19 with 5022 viewsDyland

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:09 - Jan 19 by PauLambertIsABlue

Yes you're getting carried away. Our away form is worse than our home form. Football is about winning games. Emphasised by the situation we're now in, i.e. we'll probably/possibly be relegated because we haven't/can't win enough games.

I like Lambert a lot (hard not to at the moment) but we're coming from a very, very low base. It feels churlish to criticise the football too much because it has been generally good to see the desire to play a certain way even if a more pragmatic approach would maybe see us with more points since Hurst was fired.

We'd got to a point where even a pragmatic grinding style and getting out of trouble may not have reconnected the fans with the club. Honestly, I don't blame Lambert too much anyway because psychologically we were shot as a team and a club. This is evidenced by our jaw dropping contrivance to lose against Brizzle and Millwall.

The threat of relegation leaves a very dark cloud over ITFC but it's haloed by a silver that's shining brighter week by week, even when results haven't really picked up. It's quite surreal.

I said the other day this is the most I've looked forward to games emotionally for ten odd years. It's a buzz that looks illogical or even risible to those outside a club in our situation. Fook them, if they don't understand they're not really died in the wool club supporters of anyone.

This doesn't get round the fact that relegation will be awful. But there is hope at least that we may not go into free fall. And football is all about hope, even though it kills, and that's what those media commentators at best ignore, and at worst don't even get, which makes them a the risible ones rather than us.

Let's not pretend that anyone wished to be bottom of the league though :)

Blackburn 1 Town 2

COYFB
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 10:47]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:46 - Jan 19 with 5004 viewschristiand

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:41 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

A "new manager bounce" can only occur when the situation has been of the manager holding the players back. If the squad itself is not up to scratch, there's nothing to bounce with.

In previous seasons, the new bloke was quite likely to have been able to bring in a player or two immediately, under the "emergency" loan system, to rectify that. But such a thing no longer exists, with transfers strictly confined to the narrow summer and January windows.

Quite agree, that's why I highlighted that in regards to responding to the OP.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:51 - Jan 19 with 4986 viewsGuthrum

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:24 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

I think even taking into account the squad he inherited, 9 points from 12 games is disappointing.

In absolute terms it is disappointing, but an average of 0.75 points per game is marginally better than Hurst averaged over his 14 fixtures (0.64 ppg).

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:53 - Jan 19 with 4976 viewsHerbivore

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:51 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

In absolute terms it is disappointing, but an average of 0.75 points per game is marginally better than Hurst averaged over his 14 fixtures (0.64 ppg).

It is and that's one positive. As I say, I think football wise it's been a 6 out of 10 performance from Lambert thus far, off the pitch it's a solid 9.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024