Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' 09:09 - Jan 19 with 8098 viewsPauLambertIsABlue

I keep reading this sort of thing on here:

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL'

What on earth are these people on about?

We've had a turnover of 20 players in 6 months and since PL started he's done an amazing job all round, including the introduction of a completely different style of football which is incredible considering how awful it was for the previous 6 years or so.

Just as impressive is how he, and ME I'd suspect, have also started to reconnect with the fans in a big way, which again was a massive ask after the mess MM left in relation to this side of things.

The video kicking around of those lads singing and bouncing around in the north stand concourse after the Rotherham game I presume, are just great. First thing I did with that one was share it with everyone on my mobile phone cos I've started to feel a bit more proud to be an ITFC fan again.

The other video where the camera man is on the pitch and PL starts pointing at the team as if to say the players should take the credit is also really really good to see.

Last of all, Monday mornings are starting to be a bit more bearable when I get to work. The Leeds fan in my ear hasn't had as much to say lately!

Long way to go but results will come good sooner rather than later.

[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 9:11]
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:54 - Jan 19 with 2005 viewsFrimleyBlue

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:45 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

It's the fact that key areas of the team (the attacking and goalscoring element, for example) were almost totally reliant on youths and lower division fresh recruits.

Exactly.

Surely for all people to understand how hard it must have been for Lambert to pick a team.....

Roberts up front.........

Roberts.

Lovely guy. But come on. If anything shows what a mess Hurst left. It's this.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

exactly on 10:54 - Jan 19 with 2004 viewsDyland

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:41 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

A "new manager bounce" can only occur when the situation has been of the manager holding the players back. If the squad itself is not up to scratch, there's nothing to bounce with.

In previous seasons, the new bloke was quite likely to have been able to bring in a player or two immediately, under the "emergency" loan system, to rectify that. But such a thing no longer exists, with transfers strictly confined to the narrow summer and January windows.

Incredibly churlish to criticise Lambert for the lack of quick turn in form, imo.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Oh, you x on 10:57 - Jan 19 with 1998 viewsDyland

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:24 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

I think even taking into account the squad he inherited, 9 points from 12 games is disappointing.

It's disappointing of course, and without giving any context at all I'd say it was sh1t. But that would be silly.

You're arguing the toss aren't you. Are you hungover? Or still on a session from Friday?

:)

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:58 - Jan 19 with 1995 viewsGuthrum

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:46 - Jan 19 by christiand

Quite agree, that's why I highlighted that in regards to responding to the OP.

Yes, I was agreeing with you.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:07 - Jan 19 with 1983 viewsthebooks

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:09 - Jan 19 by PauLambertIsABlue

Maybe my blind optimism has been affected by the away games.

Am I getting too carried away do you think?

Just put a cheeky £5 bet on Ipswich to win 2-1 this afternoon with Jack Lancaster to score first & Ipswich to stay up, combined together gives you 675/1.

Same bet with Will Keane first goalscorer. 450/1.

Same again with James Collins to score first, 2250/1.

I guess the odds don't lie!

Nothing wrong with being optimistic and I hope you're right. I think there's some hope in the new signings making a big difference, but I still think we'll end up relegated.

The Rotherham atmosphere was great, but there was an element of craziness in it.

Hope your bet pays off!
I think you should have a punch up anyway on 11:16 - Jan 19 with 1970 viewsDyland

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 10:58 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

Yes, I was agreeing with you.

Frimmers may want to join in, judging by his belligerent attitude to Lambert's lovely travel cost gesture.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:18 - Jan 19 with 1980 viewsGavTWTD

I think some expect a "new manager bounce" but it's different for us. New managers can usually tweak a couple of things and get instant results, but that wasn't possible here due to so many new and inexperienced players at this level, and before the transfer window opened so had to work with what he had.

What we have now is the start of "his team" although it may take another two windows or mote to undo what Hurst has done.

Having run this site for so many years, it's great to see some positivity on here, and to have a manager that loves the club.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Oh, you x on 11:26 - Jan 19 with 1953 viewsHerbivore

Oh, you x on 10:57 - Jan 19 by Dyland

It's disappointing of course, and without giving any context at all I'd say it was sh1t. But that would be silly.

You're arguing the toss aren't you. Are you hungover? Or still on a session from Friday?

:)

Neither, sadly. I think even with the context of it being a not great squad inherited from a clueless manager, 9 points from those 12 games is a bit disappointing. We've had home games with Preston, Brizzle, Wigan, Millwall and Rotherham in that run of games as well as the trip to a poor Reading side. I actually think had we held on in one of those first two games under PL we'd be much better off than just the extra 2 points. Confidence has been a huge issue.

But as I say, overall I'm a big fan of Lambert but on the pitch results and performances haven't been great even allowing for the context. I'm hopeful things will improve though, but I think survival is probably beyond us.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 11:30]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Confidence is the point though on 11:30 - Jan 19 with 1942 viewsDyland

Oh, you x on 11:26 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Neither, sadly. I think even with the context of it being a not great squad inherited from a clueless manager, 9 points from those 12 games is a bit disappointing. We've had home games with Preston, Brizzle, Wigan, Millwall and Rotherham in that run of games as well as the trip to a poor Reading side. I actually think had we held on in one of those first two games under PL we'd be much better off than just the extra 2 points. Confidence has been a huge issue.

But as I say, overall I'm a big fan of Lambert but on the pitch results and performances haven't been great even allowing for the context. I'm hopeful things will improve though, but I think survival is probably beyond us.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 11:30]

They/we were shot psychologically. I'll let Reading go (and Preston), cos mistakes happen. Brizzle and Millwall should have seen us with 6 points more. We need magic beans as well as quality. Or a hypnotist. But maybe, just maybe, holding on against Rotherham (yeh right) will help us turn that corner. If, if, IF Collins can stay fit and we can get an additional defender ideally RB.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:33 - Jan 19 with 1937 viewsthebooks

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:18 - Jan 19 by GavTWTD

I think some expect a "new manager bounce" but it's different for us. New managers can usually tweak a couple of things and get instant results, but that wasn't possible here due to so many new and inexperienced players at this level, and before the transfer window opened so had to work with what he had.

What we have now is the start of "his team" although it may take another two windows or mote to undo what Hurst has done.

Having run this site for so many years, it's great to see some positivity on here, and to have a manager that loves the club.

Yeah, I think it's important to differentiate between his great work at the club and what an overall excellent manager he is, with (in my opinion) some of the wrong decisions he's made on the pitch within our context.

We tend to cast managers here as either good or evil. I think we all agree PL is a good thing.
Confidence is the point though on 11:36 - Jan 19 with 1930 viewsHerbivore

Confidence is the point though on 11:30 - Jan 19 by Dyland

They/we were shot psychologically. I'll let Reading go (and Preston), cos mistakes happen. Brizzle and Millwall should have seen us with 6 points more. We need magic beans as well as quality. Or a hypnotist. But maybe, just maybe, holding on against Rotherham (yeh right) will help us turn that corner. If, if, IF Collins can stay fit and we can get an additional defender ideally RB.

I genuinely think if Collins had been here all season we wouldn't be bottom 3, he makes that much of a difference. Thankfully the new boys that have come in don't have the psychological baggage so if they can give us a lift there is a slim chance we can pull off a miracle and get out of it. All it takes is a couple of wins and a side can go on a run. Norwich looked as poor as us at PR and look at them now, with the same group of players. Likewise with Hull.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:38 - Jan 19 with 1922 viewsSuperfrans

In actual fact, before today’s game, Hurst and Lambert’s record is fairly similar - albeit Lambert has had 12 league games and secured the same number of points as Hurst did in 14, scored the same number of goals and conceded one fewer.

Their full league records so far (before today’s match) are:
Hurst - P14 W1 D6 L7 F11 A22 Pts9
Lambert - P12 W2 D3 L7 F11 A21 Pts9

The point in Lambert’s favour is that he has achieved this while having to work with the players left behind by Hurst and without any kind of pre-season or the opportunity to at least try to retain any of Webster, Waghorn or Garner.

Whatever this all proves, a few things are surely indisputable - Lambert has lifted the club, the players and fans in a way that Hurst came nowhere near.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Confidence is the point though on 11:40 - Jan 19 with 1919 viewsTonytown

Confidence is the point though on 11:36 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

I genuinely think if Collins had been here all season we wouldn't be bottom 3, he makes that much of a difference. Thankfully the new boys that have come in don't have the psychological baggage so if they can give us a lift there is a slim chance we can pull off a miracle and get out of it. All it takes is a couple of wins and a side can go on a run. Norwich looked as poor as us at PR and look at them now, with the same group of players. Likewise with Hull.

The comparison to MM is not fair as he was able to use the loan window which Lambert couldn’t.

Let’s see what happens from now on
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:40 - Jan 19 with 1919 viewsPauLambertIsABlue

I think my optimism is more heart than head.

[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 11:42]
Indeed on 11:42 - Jan 19 with 1917 viewsDyland

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:38 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

In actual fact, before today’s game, Hurst and Lambert’s record is fairly similar - albeit Lambert has had 12 league games and secured the same number of points as Hurst did in 14, scored the same number of goals and conceded one fewer.

Their full league records so far (before today’s match) are:
Hurst - P14 W1 D6 L7 F11 A22 Pts9
Lambert - P12 W2 D3 L7 F11 A21 Pts9

The point in Lambert’s favour is that he has achieved this while having to work with the players left behind by Hurst and without any kind of pre-season or the opportunity to at least try to retain any of Webster, Waghorn or Garner.

Whatever this all proves, a few things are surely indisputable - Lambert has lifted the club, the players and fans in a way that Hurst came nowhere near.

I was desperate for Hurst to be successful but even before the season started there was a touch of emperor's new clothes going on. Some fans were greeting everything he said with the comment "it's a breath of fresh air". I didn't get that at all. Compare with Lambert.

Confidence is the point though on 11:42 - Jan 19 with 1913 viewschristiand

Hull City is an incredible turn around, many thought they were one of the sides we were going to be competing with to avoid relegation, they were that dire during the first few months of the season. Now only a few points off the top 6!!! Although, 6 wins on the bounce helps.......Can lightning strike twice?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:45 - Jan 19 with 1906 viewsPauLambertIsABlue

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:40 - Jan 19 by PauLambertIsABlue

....although I think it's sad that many people have given up. :-(
Confidence is the point though on 11:46 - Jan 19 with 1903 viewsGuthrum

It's not just confidence, but also the experience to ride over bad days and mistakes in what is, for them (unlike the youths and lower-division recruits), not a new situation*. I get the impression that the few really experienced players we had (particularly Chambers and Skuse) were being overwhelmed by the distraction of having to shepherd and look out for all those around them, causing their own games to suffer as well. Now they have some backup to share the load and against Rotherham the lethal mistakes weren't happening.

* By that I mean at the level of the Championship, against tougher opposition, in front of much bigger crowds and with added pressure.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 11:51]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Confidence is the point though on 11:49 - Jan 19 with 1898 viewsHerbivore

Confidence is the point though on 11:40 - Jan 19 by Tonytown

The comparison to MM is not fair as he was able to use the loan window which Lambert couldn’t.

Let’s see what happens from now on

Who did he sign pre-January though? We already had about 7 loanees in the squad when he arrived. It's a reasonable comparison imo, though not entirely like for like admittedly. However, MM took 23 points from his first 12 games in comparison to Lambert taking 9 from the same period which is a massive difference.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:50 - Jan 19 with 1899 viewsurbanblue

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:40 - Jan 19 by PauLambertIsABlue

It's not just optimism it's about passion as well. It's 10.40pm here and I'm about to go to bed and set the alarm for 1.45am to get up and watch the game at 2am. That's me every week now wheras last season I only did it about six times!! My total passion for our club has returned ... I thank Lambert for that although there is a feeling that if we get out of this it will be one of the greatest achievements on our history and I want to be part of it ... Who'd have thought that!

As regards Lamberts record on the pitch ... I don't think we can look at that until it is HIS team but I have the utmost confidence in him.

Anyway ... Goodnight and see you soon!
'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:55 - Jan 19 with 1885 viewsDarth_Koont

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 09:47 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

I wasn't expecting miracles but I was expecting a bit more than 9 points from 12 games. I'm supportive of Lambert and he's done a lot of good but results and performances haven't been great. The form table does look better currently (though unlikely to be good enough to keep us up) as it includes both our wins under Lambert. Let's hope after today our 6 game form still includes 2 wins.

I agree on the whole. But we could and perhaps should have been a lot better off from those 12 games if we didn't have the obvious gaps at CB and upfront that he inherited. With good overall performances in many of these games, I don't think it's a stretch to say we could have double the points over that period even if we only had a vaguely average ability to score goals and defend leads.

To back that up, our worst overall performance under Lambert just gave us 3 points and a clean sheet.

Pronouns: He/Him

Confidence is the point though on 11:59 - Jan 19 with 1879 viewspointofblue

Confidence is the point though on 11:49 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Who did he sign pre-January though? We already had about 7 loanees in the squad when he arrived. It's a reasonable comparison imo, though not entirely like for like admittedly. However, MM took 23 points from his first 12 games in comparison to Lambert taking 9 from the same period which is a massive difference.

Kelly Youga, Tyrone Barnett and Bradley Orr. Though to be fair Jewell left Mick with a much better squad than Hurst left Lambert.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Confidence is the point though on 12:01 - Jan 19 with 1877 viewsHerbivore

Confidence is the point though on 11:46 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

It's not just confidence, but also the experience to ride over bad days and mistakes in what is, for them (unlike the youths and lower-division recruits), not a new situation*. I get the impression that the few really experienced players we had (particularly Chambers and Skuse) were being overwhelmed by the distraction of having to shepherd and look out for all those around them, causing their own games to suffer as well. Now they have some backup to share the load and against Rotherham the lethal mistakes weren't happening.

* By that I mean at the level of the Championship, against tougher opposition, in front of much bigger crowds and with added pressure.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 11:51]

Collins just brought such calmness and presence, you could see almost instantly that was what we've been missing at key times this season. If we'd had his quality and experience we'd have beaten Millwall, Brizzle and Reading as a minimum imo and we'd be just outside the bottom 3. Whether it's now too late who knows but winning a genuine must win game last week has to give everyone a boost. Plus we've now added Judge to the squad and he is a proper player. I retain some optimism, especially long term.

Confidence is the point though on 12:02 - Jan 19 with 1872 viewsHerbivore

Confidence is the point though on 11:59 - Jan 19 by pointofblue

Kelly Youga, Tyrone Barnett and Bradley Orr. Though to be fair Jewell left Mick with a much better squad than Hurst left Lambert.

I'm not sure if people felt that way about that squad at the time. They were dreadful.

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 12:03 - Jan 19 with 1872 viewsSuperfrans

'we haven’t exactly hit the ground running under PL' on 11:55 - Jan 19 by Darth_Koont

I agree on the whole. But we could and perhaps should have been a lot better off from those 12 games if we didn't have the obvious gaps at CB and upfront that he inherited. With good overall performances in many of these games, I don't think it's a stretch to say we could have double the points over that period even if we only had a vaguely average ability to score goals and defend leads.

To back that up, our worst overall performance under Lambert just gave us 3 points and a clean sheet.

Also, we’ve been ahead and failed to win in 8 games this season. EIGHT!

Had we held on in all of them, that’s an extra 18 points - 6 of the games resulted in draws, two in defeats.

If we’d managed the kind of backs to the wall performance in half of them, we could have an extra 8/9 points. That’s the difference between being where we are and being fifth bottom.

Of course, it’s all ifs, buts and maybes. But a more solid defence would have made all the difference.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024