Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Imagination time 09:23 - Jan 20 with 3717 viewsAYACCA

If you could change football for better or worse what changes would you make...?

1: Salary cap
2: Transfer Limit
3: Match day squads to include academy players (not poached ones)
4: TV money shared evenly across all leagues
Imagination time on 09:29 - Jan 20 with 3700 viewsHerbivore

Yeah I'd go with all of those. Each league now is becoming hugely decided between the haves, the have even mores, and the have nots. Something needs to be done, the game isn't sustainable below the Prem any more, too much money being lost by too many clubs. The Prem is living in a TV money bubble where realistically only a handful of clubs can compete for the top 4. It's dull.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Imagination time on 09:33 - Jan 20 with 3686 viewsAYACCA

Imagination time on 09:29 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

Yeah I'd go with all of those. Each league now is becoming hugely decided between the haves, the have even mores, and the have nots. Something needs to be done, the game isn't sustainable below the Prem any more, too much money being lost by too many clubs. The Prem is living in a TV money bubble where realistically only a handful of clubs can compete for the top 4. It's dull.

it'd be great if it was an even field. Bristol Rovers battling for the premier league title....
Liverpool in league one playing Luton..
Imagination time on 09:35 - Jan 20 with 3680 viewschristiand

All very good suggestions, but a salary cap for me. Clubs need to have the capacity to make money. The lunacy of spending more than your annual turnover on wages just stops any progress and puts the club’s long term future in jeopardy. Also, no player is worth £100,000s per week, not when you have people in occupations where they are saving lives or putting their own lives at risk daily.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 9:36]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Imagination time on 09:36 - Jan 20 with 3668 viewsHerbivore

Imagination time on 09:33 - Jan 20 by AYACCA

it'd be great if it was an even field. Bristol Rovers battling for the premier league title....
Liverpool in league one playing Luton..

Oddly enough US sports, despite taking place in the most rampantly capitalist of countries, do a lot more to try and achieve a level playing field.

The way the game is currently is one reason I'm not arsed about going up, I'd love the promition season but I have no desire to see us playing half our matches with our main hope being not to get drubbed and our goal for each season to be to finish 17th. What's the point of that?

Imagination time on 10:19 - Jan 20 with 3633 viewsRonFearonsHair

On the last day of the season the winning team of each match can choose whether to take the 3 points or swap places with the team they beat.
Imagination time on 11:00 - Jan 20 with 3602 viewsbritbiker

Will sadly never happen as we dont have a comparable collage system. The nfl style draft would be great. The worst team picks the best rated up and coming player the following season. So even if you have had a crap year you have something to look forward to.
Imagination time on 11:14 - Jan 20 with 3586 viewspointofblue

Give Champions League places to the FA Cup and League Cup winners rather than 3rd and 4th place in the Premier League.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Imagination time on 11:14 - Jan 20 with 3586 viewsHerbivore

Imagination time on 11:14 - Jan 20 by pointofblue

Give Champions League places to the FA Cup and League Cup winners rather than 3rd and 4th place in the Premier League.

What?

Login to get fewer ads

Imagination time on 11:17 - Jan 20 with 3580 viewsBluefish

Either 1 or 4 sadly football as we knew it has already gone. The worst of that is that we are in the worst place. Too small to be in the elite that we once mixed with and too big too be content amongst the lower ranks. I that championship football is the most miserable league for supporters.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Imagination time on 12:06 - Jan 20 with 3553 viewspointofblue

Imagination time on 11:14 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

What?

Switch the rewards so the Cup winners qualify for the Champions League rather than finishing outside the top two of the Premier League. I think I’m right in saying other European nations have their cup winners enter the Champions League (though this may have changed) so there’s no reason why it couldn’t here, except the desperation from the top that everything has to revolve around the Premier League.

Imagination time on 12:12 - Jan 20 with 3547 viewsHerbivore

Imagination time on 12:06 - Jan 20 by pointofblue

Switch the rewards so the Cup winners qualify for the Champions League rather than finishing outside the top two of the Premier League. I think I’m right in saying other European nations have their cup winners enter the Champions League (though this may have changed) so there’s no reason why it couldn’t here, except the desperation from the top that everything has to revolve around the Premier League.

No, other leagues don't put their cup winners in the Champions League. Winning the league cup, a minor trophy even Norwich have won, shouldn't qualify you for the Champions League.

Imagination time on 12:15 - Jan 20 with 3543 viewsjjblue84

Salary cap is the only thing that will save English football (that’s left to save!). Otherwise the player will always demand more.
Imagination time on 12:24 - Jan 20 with 3520 viewsElephantintheRoom

Imagination time on 12:12 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

No, other leagues don't put their cup winners in the Champions League. Winning the league cup, a minor trophy even Norwich have won, shouldn't qualify you for the Champions League.

A champions league would suggest a league of champions, which is what a cup winner is. At present the champions is largely a league of runners up and also rans, often won by also rans. When Town ere in the UEFA Cup it had greater strength in depth than the European Cup which was even more one dimensional than the Champions League has now become. Even the world champions only win a cup competition the world cup - so the suggestion of adding value to the domestic cups is a good one. UEFA destroyed the UEFA Cup and Cup WInners Cup - and also the European Cup by creating an elite European League.

I'd echo the comments above about learning from the parity of NFL . I'd quite like to see a global league replace the pointless champions league - which might revitalise european domestic leagues - and might make more players stay in their own country, making international games more interesting again. Other than that the removal of the offside law would probably be a huge help.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Imagination time on 12:27 - Jan 20 with 3521 viewsChampionship

Assuming I had ultimate control and couldn't be vetoed by the Premier League...

1) Scrap the league cup. It's pointless now. We might as well have one cup competition which is taken seriously than two which are largely seen as B level competitions.

2) Replace the lost revenue for football league teams with a tournament for each league. Winners receive a guaranteed play off spot.

3) Champions League spot for the FA Cup winners. "It will ruin the excitement of the Premier League!!!!!!!11", yea we'll live without seeing the thrilling chase for fourth place.

4) Parachute payments reduced to £10m per year for two years. That lets clubs sign players on three year deals.

5) Wembley is for finals and internationals. No team can play any competitive or friendly games at Wembley that aren't finals or international games.

6) Enforce FFP with strict sanctions which are announced in advance so everyone is clear what the punishment WILL BE. None of this uncertainty which always ends up going in favour of the offending club.

7) Instant retrospective red cards for diving with a three match ban.

8) TV money split more fairly. Do something about the naming of leagues so all four professional leagues are seen as one instead of the Football League and he Premier League.

9) Tribunals to be reworked to be much fairer and not a vehicle for the Premier League to pay pennies on the pound for talent.

10) Scrap the categorising of academies

11) Ban all B teams and U21 teams from all 'first team' competitions.

12) Force all clubs to wear their first choice colours home and away unless there is a clash

13) Have the FA Cup final kick off at 3pm on a Saturday as the final showpiece game of the domestic season.

14) If both clubs agree, allow teams to have the Community Shield game abroad. This hopefully throws a bone to international fans and stops talk of the 39th game and other such rubbish. The reason both sides should have to agree is because the likes of Wigan aren't going to get to many finals and it seems wrong to rob their fans of a final. For the 'big 5/6' it's not an issue.

15) Salary cap on U21 players across the world. No need for 18 year olds to be on £50,00 a week before they've kicked a ball for the first team.
Imagination time on 12:27 - Jan 20 with 3520 viewsjudespiveyg

I assume by a salary cap you mean that a club can only spend a certain amount on wages per season, so by offering one player a mega salary the rest of the team would have to be on lower wages. That would definitely work in my opinion although it would make English clubs weaker in Europe.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Imagination time on 12:33 - Jan 20 with 3508 viewspointofblue

Imagination time on 12:12 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

And yet finishing best of the also rans should result in qualification?

Imagination time on 12:49 - Jan 20 with 3494 viewsHerbivore

Imagination time on 12:33 - Jan 20 by pointofblue

And yet finishing best of the also rans should result in qualification?

Yeah. That's what the Champions League is there for, the best four teams qualify for it based on finishing in the too 4 of the league. I don't see why cup winners should deserve a place, they get a Europa League slot which seems fair.

Imagination time on 12:52 - Jan 20 with 3484 viewspointofblue

Imagination time on 12:49 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

Yeah. That's what the Champions League is there for, the best four teams qualify for it based on finishing in the too 4 of the league. I don't see why cup winners should deserve a place, they get a Europa League slot which seems fair.

Ah well, it's just a personal thing I would change to increase the importance of the cup.

Imagination time on 12:53 - Jan 20 with 3482 viewsHerbivore

Imagination time on 12:24 - Jan 20 by ElephantintheRoom

A champions league would suggest a league of champions, which is what a cup winner is. At present the champions is largely a league of runners up and also rans, often won by also rans. When Town ere in the UEFA Cup it had greater strength in depth than the European Cup which was even more one dimensional than the Champions League has now become. Even the world champions only win a cup competition the world cup - so the suggestion of adding value to the domestic cups is a good one. UEFA destroyed the UEFA Cup and Cup WInners Cup - and also the European Cup by creating an elite European League.

I'd echo the comments above about learning from the parity of NFL . I'd quite like to see a global league replace the pointless champions league - which might revitalise european domestic leagues - and might make more players stay in their own country, making international games more interesting again. Other than that the removal of the offside law would probably be a huge help.

I disagree that a cup winner constitutes a champion but then the name is a misnomer anyway. The Cup Winners Cup got amalgamated into the UEFA Cup years ago so that's where cup winners quite rightly go. I really think putting cup winners into the CL is a bad idea and at best it's pissing into the wind in terms of trying to address the issues with the game. It's like suggesting that having different biscuits in the tea room in Westminster will sort out our politics.

Imagination time on 13:03 - Jan 20 with 3464 viewsBent_double

Agree with those, but as for on the pitch:

1) scrap penalties. I'm fed up with seeing players fall over with the slightest touch, and why should it even be a pen if the offence happens to the attacking player on the edge of the box running away from goal? Give a FK instead from where-ever in the 18yd box the attacking team want to take it so it favours their most creative player(s). Plus sin-bin the fouling player for 20-30 mins.
2) Offsides - there should be clear daylight between the attacker and last defender for the attacker to be offside, give the benefit of doubt to attacking teams always.
3) Introduce sin-bins

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Imagination time on 14:36 - Jan 20 with 3401 viewsmonty_radio

Imagination time on 12:15 - Jan 20 by jjblue84

Salary cap is the only thing that will save English football (that’s left to save!). Otherwise the player will always demand more.

I'd prefer that the responsibility lay with the club i.e. No club allowed to spend more than, say, 60% of turnover on players' wages. Then the club can be the arbiters of who deserves more. I do realise though that policing of such restrictions has a woeful history.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Imagination time on 14:38 - Jan 20 with 3400 viewsHerbivore

Imagination time on 14:36 - Jan 20 by monty_radio

I'd prefer that the responsibility lay with the club i.e. No club allowed to spend more than, say, 60% of turnover on players' wages. Then the club can be the arbiters of who deserves more. I do realise though that policing of such restrictions has a woeful history.

It also favours the wealthy clubs and will simply maintain the status quo.

Imagination time on 14:50 - Jan 20 with 3387 viewsmonty_radio

Imagination time on 14:38 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

It also favours the wealthy clubs and will simply maintain the status quo.

Can't see salary caps making it past the first hurdle though - restraint of trade, and suchlike. Even if it ticks some people's political boxes, it's against the spirit of the age.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Imagination time on 15:23 - Jan 20 with 3375 viewsjjblue84

Imagination time on 14:36 - Jan 20 by monty_radio

That doesn’t work, as clubs just cook the books!
Imagination time on 15:27 - Jan 20 with 3364 viewsPecker

Norwich and Liverpool would loss every game they ever play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024