Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. 11:42 - Jan 20 with 34037 viewsBrixtonBlue

They say the universe started with a big bang... but you can't have something just appearing out of nothing. Therefore, the universe can't have a beginning - and yet must do (because it exists). A paradox.

Similarly, if the universe is expanding (like they say it is), what is it expanding into? And whatever that is, what is on the other side of THAT? Therefore, the universe must go on forever... and yet can't do (everything has an end or edge). Another paradox.

Both of these paradoxes suggest the universe shouldn't exist. Its existence doesn't make sense.

Well surely then, the only logical conclusion is that it DOESN'T exist?!

It's either a figment of our imagination... or a purposely created virtual reality?

I appreciate this last bit isn't a new idea (The Matrix) - but how else do you explain the two paradoxes?

I hope someone can answer soon as I'm off to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich to watch a couple of shows about space and I don't want it to be a waste of time!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:45 - Jan 20 with 9976 viewsChampionship

If it's a created reality why bother with other planets etc? Why not just have the earth rather than exposing such flaws to highly intelligent people like yourself? Why bother having the earth be a sphere? Surely in your idea the simplest ideas are the best?
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:55 - Jan 20 with 9952 viewsBrixtonBlue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:45 - Jan 20 by Championship

If it's a created reality why bother with other planets etc? Why not just have the earth rather than exposing such flaws to highly intelligent people like yourself? Why bother having the earth be a sphere? Surely in your idea the simplest ideas are the best?

I dunno. You could say that with anything - why have dolphins, cement and Brian Blessed?

Why NOT have the Earth as a sphere? It has to be SOME shape, a sphere is as good as any.

I'm certainly not claiming to be highly intelligent, I would've thought that's obvious from the OP!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:56 - Jan 20 with 9946 viewsOldsmoker

The one thing that boggles me is this.
One of the laws of Physics states that "Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed".
Count the billions of galaxies and multiply that by the billions of stars in each galaxy and realise that all that energy that exists in those stars must have existed at the time of the big bang.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 11:57]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:59 - Jan 20 with 9940 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:08 - Jan 20 with 9916 viewsOldsmoker

You ask what the Universe is expanding in to.
I don't know but the stars will all eventually burn out.
The future of the universe is a dark space with no stars but slightly warmer as all the energy will have been converted into heat.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:08 - Jan 20 with 9913 viewsjjblue84

Careful questioning those scientists, they don’t like it call you nasty names if you do!
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:14 - Jan 20 with 9895 viewsBrixtonBlue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:59 - Jan 20 by factual_blue

Funnily enough, this is probably the best answer so far Facters.

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:15 - Jan 20 with 9875 viewsHerbivore

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:56 - Jan 20 by Oldsmoker

The one thing that boggles me is this.
One of the laws of Physics states that "Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed".
Count the billions of galaxies and multiply that by the billions of stars in each galaxy and realise that all that energy that exists in those stars must have existed at the time of the big bang.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 11:57]

I mean, it was a REALLY big bang to be fair.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

on 12:16 - Jan 20 with 9868 views_

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:08 - Jan 20 by jjblue84

Careful questioning those scientists, they don’t like it call you nasty names if you do!

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:23 - Jan 20 with 9855 viewsjeera

You've certainly cracked it there.

Those scientists may as well pack up and go home.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:28 - Jan 20 with 9844 viewsDanTheMan

You're thinking of things wrong, which is understandable because nobody ever really explains this very well.

The universe didn't explode into being like magic and then start expanding into something like water into a container. It's more like it's stretching. An imperfect analogy would be like blowing up a balloon.

EDIT: A nice little video summing up this:
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 12:31]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:28 - Jan 20 with 9843 viewsfooters

I'm not sure you can say the universe doesn't exist because we don't currently understand its creation or expansion. Put yer feet up and relax, the labcoat crew are on the case.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:30 - Jan 20 with 9833 viewsnoggin

If the universe was created, who or what created the creator?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:31 - Jan 20 with 9824 viewsBenters2

Space is Deep.

Hawkwind.

The End.
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:41 - Jan 20 with 9804 viewsfactual_blue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:14 - Jan 20 by BrixtonBlue

Funnily enough, this is probably the best answer so far Facters.

You can, of course, always rely on me for the best answer.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:46 - Jan 20 with 9768 viewsHerbivore

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:30 - Jan 20 by noggin

Chuck Norris. Or Bryan Klug.

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:51 - Jan 20 with 9770 viewssparks

We can have things appearing form nothing- see Lawrence Krauss's book. More importantly, we have no idea what the position was a fraction of a second prior to the "big bang" so we dont know if it came from nothing or not. Arguably, it doesnt even make sense to talk about what there was before, given that time, in our universe, also appears to have started with the big bang. There's no paradox because we dont know the position. Universe could be eternal...

The universe is not expanding into anything. Its just expanding from within. Imagine drawiing lots of dots on a flacid balloon and then inflating it. Again however, the answer to the question is "dont know".

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 13:49 - Jan 20 with 9700 viewsjjblue84

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:30 - Jan 20 by noggin

We’ll never know, so choose your own belief!
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 13:50 - Jan 20 with 9687 viewsBloomBlue

God created the universe
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 13:52 - Jan 20 with 9690 viewssparks

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 13:49 - Jan 20 by jjblue84

We’ll never know, so choose your own belief!

You cant choose a belief- you believe something or you dont.

And you believe something for sound reasons, or you dont.

'I dont know' is entirely valid as a position.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. ( on 13:55 - Jan 20 with 9666 viewsHerbivore

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 13:50 - Jan 20 by BloomBlue

God created the universe

[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 13:56]

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 14:00 - Jan 20 with 9666 viewssparks

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 13:50 - Jan 20 by BloomBlue

God created the universe

Evidence for this?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 14:32 - Jan 20 with 9636 viewsGuthrum

The universe did not appear out of nothing. At the instant before the Big Bang, it was a sigularity - a point of infinite mass (in fact, energy) having zero dimensions.

It's not expanding into anything. There is no "outside".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 14:34 - Jan 20 with 9633 viewssparks

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 14:32 - Jan 20 by Guthrum

The universe did not appear out of nothing. At the instant before the Big Bang, it was a sigularity - a point of infinite mass (in fact, energy) having zero dimensions.

It's not expanding into anything. There is no "outside".

Indeed- though the question "where did the singularity come from" still remains. And we simply cant investigate that, and may never be able to.

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 14:44 - Jan 20 with 9613 viewswkj

There is just far too much in your post that can be answered to a point elsewhere, its too much of a headache waiting to happen on here

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024