Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? 12:16 - Jan 20 with 6456 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Now his had the same amount of games as Hurst and similar return in points I wonder why he has so much more goodwill with us than the previous manager? Even with the same players we have had no upturn in results and barring one or two first half’s performances so what is that he has done to inspire you??

For me it’s the way he has connected with the fans, that’s pretty much it! I wish it had been instant results etc

Not a dig in anyway and I for one think we will be better once his has two windows to work his magic albeit we will be in League 1.
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 12:28 - Jan 20 with 5811 viewsdavblue

Think it’s just turned out to be one of those seasons unfortunately. We could have got Messi and Ronaldo and I think we would go down.

As I’ve said before on the pitch I’m yet to be convinced by him but you can see what he’s trying to do, it just needs a clean slate that the end of the season will bring, pre season get his ideas across and go from there.
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 12:29 - Jan 20 with 5807 viewsChampionship

It takes time to turn a losing mentality and he's arguably only had two games with his own squad. Even then it's a patched up squad full of loan players. I think we'll see a different town a month down the road. Whether it's enough to survive is another matter.
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 12:29 - Jan 20 with 5807 viewsElephantintheRoom

He's making the right noises, which is vastly encouraging. But making the same mistakes which is vastly discouraging. He's a better figurehead for the club than anybody since Joe Royle. If he can stop shoehorning in pointless temps and start building a team I'd have a bit more confidence .... give him time... he says he's going to be here next season after all. Just goes to show how easy being a football manager is.... tickle the supporters tummies and they will swallow anything. Give supporters some abuse back and they have to go.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

on 12:33 - Jan 20 with 5780 views_

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 12:39 - Jan 20 with 5749 viewspeterleeblue

I sort of with you on this. I think we could do a lot worse than Lambert and are arguably fortunate to have him here. However not quite getting the love in yet. Results and the likelihood of actually getting some seem remote still.

I still remain hopeful though.
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 12:40 - Jan 20 with 5740 viewsDarth_Koont

Lots of small things (and his overall confidence and upbeat attitude which are the most critical things that we were lacking as a club). But a couple of things on the pitch were/are key.

1. Even with Roberts as the only option, he got us playing further up the pitch immediately by recognising how lightweight we were upfront. He's carried that on with his recruitments.

2. We needed more skill, control and retention of the ball in the opposition half. That's the area where we have looked so far off the pace. His recruitment and preferences e.g. Lankester for Edwards seem to address that.

3. Collins. It was evident that we needed more authority and a commanding presence at CB. Also helps that Collins has more ability on the ball than both Chambers or Pennington so makes it possible to actually build from the back.

I know these are all pretty self-evident (or should have been) but it's that focus on the basics that gives me confidence in Lambert. Not saying I've got as much confidence in him saving us but I think that says more about the size of the challenge and how he's had to work with what he's been given even when there have been obvious gaps.

Pronouns: He/Him

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 13:01 - Jan 20 with 5680 viewshoppy

I think you’ve kind of answered yourself a bit with this line... “Even with the same players we have had no upturn in results...”

We’ve discovered that PL isn’t a turd polisher... limited players won’t suddenly be world beaters, I don’t know what some people expect? The fact the style of our play is changing and that he’s beginning to bring his own players in, we’re seeing him begin to sort the mess out, but that was never going to happen overnight. Whether it’s too late to save us this season remains to be seen - I still have hope and a belief that it can happen, but it’s going to take an amazing effort right to the end to do so.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 20:55 - Jan 20 with 5319 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 12:40 - Jan 20 by Darth_Koont

Lots of small things (and his overall confidence and upbeat attitude which are the most critical things that we were lacking as a club). But a couple of things on the pitch were/are key.

1. Even with Roberts as the only option, he got us playing further up the pitch immediately by recognising how lightweight we were upfront. He's carried that on with his recruitments.

2. We needed more skill, control and retention of the ball in the opposition half. That's the area where we have looked so far off the pace. His recruitment and preferences e.g. Lankester for Edwards seem to address that.

3. Collins. It was evident that we needed more authority and a commanding presence at CB. Also helps that Collins has more ability on the ball than both Chambers or Pennington so makes it possible to actually build from the back.

I know these are all pretty self-evident (or should have been) but it's that focus on the basics that gives me confidence in Lambert. Not saying I've got as much confidence in him saving us but I think that says more about the size of the challenge and how he's had to work with what he's been given even when there have been obvious gaps.

You say he’s got us playing further up the pitch, but we’ve only scored 11 goals since he’s been here, which is one less goal than we managed under Hurst in one less game. Given the next game is Villa away, chances are that record will be unfavourable or at best equal after the same number of games

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 21:14 - Jan 20 with 5282 viewsgordon

He seems intelligent, well spoken, modest and all that. Probably a decent manager. The players will like and respect him. Having said that, I couldn't see any point in signing Quaner, Keane, Dawkins, Collins and Elder. They're either worse than what we had, or not going to be here next season anyway. Judge, assuming we take up the offer for next season could be decent in League One.
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 21:18 - Jan 20 with 5263 viewsBrixtonBlue

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 20:55 - Jan 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You say he’s got us playing further up the pitch, but we’ve only scored 11 goals since he’s been here, which is one less goal than we managed under Hurst in one less game. Given the next game is Villa away, chances are that record will be unfavourable or at best equal after the same number of games

The difference is Hurst had all summer to sort his team out. Lambert's been given a duff hand and told to get on with it.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 21:27 - Jan 20 with 5223 viewsWestSussexBlue

He talks and acts in a manner which the great Sir Bobby would appreciate. He embraces the history and depth of the club and isn’t afraid to bring it back to the fore.
Not since GB has someone had that connection and therefore rapport with us fans.
We’re not going down because of PL, but because of the previous Two manager’s.
Yes MM is not without blame for all his good, However under PL we won’t just come back up, we’ll return much stronger as a club.
He talks a good game. (n/t) on 21:44 - Jan 20 with 5177 viewsBloots

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 21:51 - Jan 20 with 5154 viewsMelford

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 21:18 - Jan 20 by BrixtonBlue

The difference is Hurst had all summer to sort his team out. Lambert's been given a duff hand and told to get on with it.

You can't compare the two situations, it's like apples and oranges. Hurst had a whole summer to sign and build a squad of players that he wanted to work with. He started the season like every other team on zero points.
Lambert's come into a completely different situation, we're not in a Man Utd situation where a new manager can be a breath of fresh air, coming and lifting the team and getting results straight away because he hasn't got the tools for it, last Saturday it was only Nsiala on the bench making the 18 from all the Hurst permanent signings. He can tactially drill these players in training, get them fit as fiddles and send them out there as well prepared he can but if the players just aren't good enough it's not going to be an immediate upturn.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 16:39 - Jan 21 with 4925 viewsglasso

He didn't start in the same place as Hurst though, did he?

No pre season. A worse team. A worse team without any confidence. Fans getting tetchy. An owner who needs some confidence put back into him after spending money and seeing his team getting worse, rather than better...

If the only thing Lambert does is bring the club and fans back together, get some spirit into Portman Road and steady the ship a little, then even if we go down, we'd be in a better place than we would've been before he came in.
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 18:00 - Jan 21 with 4855 viewsSwansea_Blue

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 16:39 - Jan 21 by glasso

He didn't start in the same place as Hurst though, did he?

No pre season. A worse team. A worse team without any confidence. Fans getting tetchy. An owner who needs some confidence put back into him after spending money and seeing his team getting worse, rather than better...

If the only thing Lambert does is bring the club and fans back together, get some spirit into Portman Road and steady the ship a little, then even if we go down, we'd be in a better place than we would've been before he came in.

A better comparison would be with Mick, who took over from PJ at the same time of the season when we were in a similar mess. I posted up their relative results this morning (which don’t do Lambert any favours).

Although Mick could access the loan market when he started, additions were modest and I don’t think that important. The difference is that PJ left a side with quality and experience at this and higher levels (Murphy and DJ Campbell being particularly important). PH left us lower league players.

How good is lambert really... by Swansea_Blue 21 Jan 2019 10:45
Yep, Stearman joined on 29th Jan https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21244056

Mick did have the opportunity to recruit , I'd forgotten that. Kelly Youga (not sure he got a game), Bradley Orr and Tyrone Barnett (irrelevant too) came in mid-November, although Mick had already overseen 2 wins out of 3 by then.

Then Tyrone Mings of course, in mid-December.

The thing that stands out form the match reports at the time (yes, I've been sad enough to trawl through the TWTD archives) is the partnership between Murphy and DJ Campbell. That's key for me. We don't have the quality that Mick inherited. Mick's early signings before the window had limited effect - Orr was the only regular.

2012/13
Jewell P13, W1, D4, L8 (7 pts, 0.54 pts/game)
Mick's start P14, W7, D3, L4 (24 pts, 1.71 pts/game)

2018/19
Hurst P14, W1,D6, L7 (9 pts, 0.64 pts/game)
Lambert's start P14, W2, D3, L9 (9 pts, 0.64 pts/game)

Whatever way you look at it, with minimal changes Mick's start was phenomenal. We haven't had an on-pitch bump with Lambert. Although obviously the mood around the place has lifted.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 18:50 - Jan 21 with 4796 viewsLeagueOne

He didn't sign the summer signings which took us down?

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 00:10 - Jan 22 with 4626 viewsFramfarmer

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 18:50 - Jan 21 by LeagueOne

He didn't sign the summer signings which took us down?

he'll beat the budgies....
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 07:41 - Jan 22 with 4501 viewsKeaneish

I can see training ground drills played out in a game. Something I haven't seen for a while.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 09:32 - Jan 22 with 4408 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 07:41 - Jan 22 by Keaneish

I can see training ground drills played out in a game. Something I haven't seen for a while.

That’s great, they’ve been really effective too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 10:28 - Jan 22 with 4356 viewsjimmyvet

on 12:33 - Jan 20 by _

Thats a great post...inside the club Lambert has worked miracles and my source who works full-time on the football side but not first team is so complimentary of what Lamber is doing on and off the pitch. The atmosphere day to day I am led to believe is terrific from cleaners to coaches and PL is really making a difference to the whole club. Sad part is probably too late to save first team from relegation I suspect.
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 10:36 - Jan 22 with 4343 viewsReuser_is_God

On the pitch not a great deal at all, but right now we don’t know whether that’s purely down to him or a lot of it is to do with the players he’s got not being good enough.

Why am I inspired by him? The way he has united he fan base is pretty incredible really. The apathy we had at the end of last season should, in theory, be 10 times as bad now given the situation but Lambert has pretty much got rid of that.

Clearly the jury is still out given results but I honestly believe if Lambert is given a good budget for League 1 he’ll build a good team to get us back up & then re-establish ourselves in the championship again.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 10:39]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 11:08 - Jan 22 with 4291 viewsIpswichKnight

Pretty much what Reuser_is_God said, on the pitch we still look like a rabble who can't defend or score.

Off the pitch we have a manager who gets the club and is reconnecting the club with it's fans.
What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 11:26 - Jan 22 with 4254 viewsLeagueOne

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 10:36 - Jan 22 by Reuser_is_God

On the pitch not a great deal at all, but right now we don’t know whether that’s purely down to him or a lot of it is to do with the players he’s got not being good enough.

Why am I inspired by him? The way he has united he fan base is pretty incredible really. The apathy we had at the end of last season should, in theory, be 10 times as bad now given the situation but Lambert has pretty much got rid of that.

Clearly the jury is still out given results but I honestly believe if Lambert is given a good budget for League 1 he’ll build a good team to get us back up & then re-establish ourselves in the championship again.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 10:39]

What I will say is I hope the fans don't start taking it out on him when we're not winning the league next season, as most Town fans think we'll walk it and that wont happen.

The anger needs to be aimed at the owner now, he's turned us into a third division outfit, not Paul Lambert.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 11:31 - Jan 22 with 4244 viewsFrimleyBlue

You know, I have no confidence in him keeping us up

The confidence I have in him is taking our club and rebuilding it and making sure it's rebuilt from Bottom to Top and turning it into a proper football club again over the next few years. That's why for me he needs everyones support.

The club is rotten, it's died a slow death, Hurst just sped the process up.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 11:35 - Jan 22 with 4233 viewsFrimleyBlue

What has Lambert done to inspire confidence with you? on 11:26 - Jan 22 by LeagueOne

What I will say is I hope the fans don't start taking it out on him when we're not winning the league next season, as most Town fans think we'll walk it and that wont happen.

The anger needs to be aimed at the owner now, he's turned us into a third division outfit, not Paul Lambert.

Anger doesn't need to be aimed at anyone

Clearly the work of Lambert and others has sunk into Evans that he needs to be more hands on with the club his owns, it's taken a while, but with certain changes behind the scenes it's clear its beginning to sink in.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024