Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
brexit "the will of dead people" 12:56 - Jan 20 with 7747 viewspositivity

apologies if posted before, but thought this was interesting.

basically, it boils down to (due to the demographics of the voting patterns)
since the 1st referendum, the brexiteer majority has been wiped out with (predominantly) older leavers dying and (predominantly) younger remainers joining the electoral register

why are we so worried about keeping dead people happy, shouldn't we be governing in the interests of the living?

of course, it may be possible that the government's flawless handling of leaving has persuaded some remainers to switch sides, but there's only one way to find out!

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/final-say-remain-leave-second-referendum-br

[Gav edit: wrong category]

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

brexit on 15:59 - Jan 20 with 1394 viewseireblue

brexit on 14:56 - Jan 20 by Oxford_Blue

Do you think the EU stands for liberal, egalitarian, democratic principles?

Or does it stand for authority, suppression of sovereignty and democracy, and centralised rule by an unelected and unaccountable bureaucratic elite?

If you voted for Farage as your MEP, well, that’s on you.
brexit "the will of dead people" on 16:14 - Jan 20 with 1374 viewspositivity

brexit "the will of dead people" on 14:33 - Jan 20 by jimmyvet

Have you got any close relatives with dementia because if you have you my not use some of the vile phrases you use ....poor taste and plain ignorant!

yes, mother and grandfather. nasty disease.

i don't get snowflakey about it, it's life, it's unfair

brexit "the will of dead people" on 16:14 - Jan 20 with 1373 viewsTrequartista

brexit "the will of dead people" on 14:29 - Jan 20 by SpruceMoose

Oh are we pretending right wingers don't label the people they look down on now? Didn't realise it was Make Stuff Up day in the UK.

On the basis that i said no such thing, your realisation of Made Stuff Up day is spot on.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

brexit "the will of dead people" on 16:15 - Jan 20 with 1371 viewspositivity

brexit "the will of dead people" on 15:02 - Jan 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

You are forgetting the previously middle aged people who are now older and consequently more bigotted, racist and almost certainly a little thicker and will now vote Leave.
Votes for babies it's their future too!

only one way to find out!

brexit on 16:16 - Jan 20 with 1370 viewsDarth_Koont

brexit on 14:56 - Jan 20 by Oxford_Blue

Do you think the EU stands for liberal, egalitarian, democratic principles?

Or does it stand for authority, suppression of sovereignty and democracy, and centralised rule by an unelected and unaccountable bureaucratic elite?

More the former to be perfectly honest. The EU is essentially one country one vote as a ruling body and a proportional representation parliament to address proposed legislation.

You'd be more on the right track here if you substituted the "EU" with the "UK Government" or probably even "Westminster". Only difference are they are sort of elected by our antiquated system and they're too incompetent to be bureaucratic.

Pronouns: He/Him

brexit on 17:24 - Jan 20 with 1348 viewsCoastalblue

brexit on 15:03 - Jan 20 by factual_blue

You meant to say 'who impeccably run the country, only to see idiots like ids and boris sabotage their efforts.'

Knowing two very senior ex civil servants very well, both of whom make most politicians look like angels and who have ended up somewhat the other side of comfortable in retirement I would question that statement, and I think "idiots" is very much underplaying both the you characters mentioned.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

brexit "the will of dead people" on 17:56 - Jan 20 with 1325 viewsRyorry

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:23 - Jan 20 by positivity

you'll always found a few young people who buck the trend (or older people who voted remain) however the vast majority of people in your age bracket voted remain. the psephologists are clear on the voting patterns.

who knows if the youth will make the right choices, but they'll be the ones to benefit/suffer from their choice, much more than the 80 year olds who were predominantly voted leave.
let them make their bed and lie in it, rather than suffer from the decisions of dead people for the next 50+ years.

I'm late 60s and voted remain; every single person I know personally in my age group also voted remain.

Since you raised this horrible question, what about people under 35 who have life-limiting illnesses, do you think they should also be denied the right to vote?

Not that simple is it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

brexit "the will of dead people" on 17:57 - Jan 20 with 1321 viewsWhymarkmariner

Perhaps we should have a collateral damage Brexit with a question of the ballot paper of " If it takes another two years to sort out Britains exit from the EU do you (a) expect to still be living or (b) Be dead" please answer this question as correctly as you can. If not vote (a) Don't know" or (B) Don't care. Apparently if your one of the don't knows and you really want to know you could sign up for Dignitas. They give you "Cheerios " for breakfast.
Login to get fewer ads

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:06 - Jan 20 with 1304 viewsRyorry

brexit "the will of dead people" on 14:29 - Jan 20 by SpruceMoose

Oh are we pretending right wingers don't label the people they look down on now? Didn't realise it was Make Stuff Up day in the UK.

Don't worry about it - having now read this p2, I give the thread another couple of hours' survival time before it curls up its toes & joins the holy choir invisible in cyberspace.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:08 - Jan 20 with 1299 viewsBloomBlue

brexit "the will of dead people" on 16:14 - Jan 20 by positivity

yes, mother and grandfather. nasty disease.

i don't get snowflakey about it, it's life, it's unfair

But you're getting all snowflakey about the Brexit vote. We voted and we voted to leave, it's life, it's unfair, accept it, we're leaving the EU.
brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:08 - Jan 20 with 1298 viewspositivity

brexit "the will of dead people" on 17:56 - Jan 20 by Ryorry

I'm late 60s and voted remain; every single person I know personally in my age group also voted remain.

Since you raised this horrible question, what about people under 35 who have life-limiting illnesses, do you think they should also be denied the right to vote?

Not that simple is it.

of course it's not simple, and of course it's not nice, but the facts are inarguable (about the voting bands), and i think it's an important question.

do we as the older generation have the right to impose our prejudices on the people who don't hold those views and will have to deal with the fallout for decades and decades (totally different from a fixed-term parliament)?

interesting debate, no easy answer, but i think this is going to come back again and again, even when brexit (or no brexit) is finally sorted.

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:13 - Jan 20 with 1288 viewspositivity

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:08 - Jan 20 by BloomBlue

But you're getting all snowflakey about the Brexit vote. We voted and we voted to leave, it's life, it's unfair, accept it, we're leaving the EU.

hardly, some people (many of whom are now dead) voted to affect the lives of many people (who weren't entitled to vote) by leaving to some magical unicorn-land which was never achievable.

now we know what we're voting for, let's have the people who it'll affect most have a say about what kind of brexit (or no brexit) we all want. as rees-mogg/farage et al said back in the day a 2nd referendum is fine!

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:16 - Jan 20 with 1282 viewsBloomBlue

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:08 - Jan 20 by positivity

of course it's not simple, and of course it's not nice, but the facts are inarguable (about the voting bands), and i think it's an important question.

do we as the older generation have the right to impose our prejudices on the people who don't hold those views and will have to deal with the fallout for decades and decades (totally different from a fixed-term parliament)?

interesting debate, no easy answer, but i think this is going to come back again and again, even when brexit (or no brexit) is finally sorted.

What about when our decisions make things better for future generations? Leaving the EU will make life much better for everyone after a short term pain, will you be paying a large sum of money to my surviving family as a thank you?
brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:23 - Jan 20 with 1270 viewspositivity

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:16 - Jan 20 by BloomBlue

What about when our decisions make things better for future generations? Leaving the EU will make life much better for everyone after a short term pain, will you be paying a large sum of money to my surviving family as a thank you?

your "surviving family"?

are you expecting the others to be killed off in the post-brexit riot years (currently pencilled in for 2020-2068)?!

if things go as well as you say, they won't need any help from me, they'll be too busy chowing down on their unicorn steaks sprinkled with leprechaun gold!

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:59 - Jan 20 with 1247 viewsBloomBlue

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:23 - Jan 20 by positivity

your "surviving family"?

are you expecting the others to be killed off in the post-brexit riot years (currently pencilled in for 2020-2068)?!

if things go as well as you say, they won't need any help from me, they'll be too busy chowing down on their unicorn steaks sprinkled with leprechaun gold!

They're still be laughing at all the lies by business leaders and the gullible remainers who believed them.
brexit "the will of dead people" on 19:19 - Jan 20 with 1228 viewspositivity

brexit "the will of dead people" on 18:59 - Jan 20 by BloomBlue

They're still be laughing at all the lies by business leaders and the gullible remainers who believed them.

life would be so fantastic if it weren't for those meddling business leaders, forever thwarting the dreams of "making life much better for absolutely everyone" for no discernible reason! why-i-oughta....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024