Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
brexit "the will of dead people" 12:56 - Jan 20 with 7681 viewspositivity

apologies if posted before, but thought this was interesting.

basically, it boils down to (due to the demographics of the voting patterns)
since the 1st referendum, the brexiteer majority has been wiped out with (predominantly) older leavers dying and (predominantly) younger remainers joining the electoral register

why are we so worried about keeping dead people happy, shouldn't we be governing in the interests of the living?

of course, it may be possible that the government's flawless handling of leaving has persuaded some remainers to switch sides, but there's only one way to find out!

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/final-say-remain-leave-second-referendum-br

[Gav edit: wrong category]

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

brexit "the will of dead people" on 12:58 - Jan 20 with 3613 viewsHerbivore

Yeah but letting people vote on stuff is undemocratic.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:01 - Jan 20 with 3611 viewsBloomBlue

So what you're saying is if anyone is terminally we shouldn't let them vote?
brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:09 - Jan 20 with 3588 viewsfactual_blue

People get weirdly outraged by mentioning that people die. i don't know why: it is the only certainty in life.

(As St Jacob of Rees Mogg will tell you, taxes are now optional).

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:17 - Jan 20 with 3567 viewspositivity

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:01 - Jan 20 by BloomBlue

these voters are now dead, not terminal.

you raise an interesting point about whether weighting should be given to voting depending on how much the outcome effects them (which is the argument brexiteers used to exclude british citizens living abroad). nice idea, complex to enact though

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:18 - Jan 20 with 3563 viewsjjblue84

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:09 - Jan 20 by factual_blue

People get weirdly outraged by mentioning that people die. i don't know why: it is the only certainty in life.

Funny that isn’t it!!
brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:18 - Jan 20 with 3565 viewsblueM3

I'm early 30s in an average wage job and voted to leave. I know a lot of people in a similar age range who did the same. So I wouldn't necessarily say it was only old people who wanted out. 🙄

Plus can we really rely on the 'Oh, Jeremy Corbyn' chanting youth to make a sensible choice? Be it choosing either way...
brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:19 - Jan 20 with 3560 viewsLeaky

At least when your dead your out of the EU, or will remainer's try to over turn that too?
brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:22 - Jan 20 with 3537 viewsHerbivore

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:19 - Jan 20 by Leaky

At least when your dead your out of the EU, or will remainer's try to over turn that too?

*you're

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:23 - Jan 20 with 3541 viewspositivity

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:18 - Jan 20 by blueM3

I'm early 30s in an average wage job and voted to leave. I know a lot of people in a similar age range who did the same. So I wouldn't necessarily say it was only old people who wanted out. 🙄

Plus can we really rely on the 'Oh, Jeremy Corbyn' chanting youth to make a sensible choice? Be it choosing either way...

you'll always found a few young people who buck the trend (or older people who voted remain) however the vast majority of people in your age bracket voted remain. the psephologists are clear on the voting patterns.

who knows if the youth will make the right choices, but they'll be the ones to benefit/suffer from their choice, much more than the 80 year olds who were predominantly voted leave.
let them make their bed and lie in it, rather than suffer from the decisions of dead people for the next 50+ years.

brexit on 13:24 - Jan 20 with 3530 viewspositivity

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:19 - Jan 20 by Leaky

another interesting idea.

if you want to stay in the eu, choose life, if not choose the alternative?

bit harsh though, not sure i agree with you!
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 13:26]

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:26 - Jan 20 with 3521 viewsLeagueOne

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:01 - Jan 20 by BloomBlue

Yeah this is a pretty evil thread in that regard. Also we have a secret ballot in this country, unless the remain camp has obtained the ballot papers illegally as well as the record of who voted for who, we don't know who voted for what in any election.

I think this whole mocking of the dead form the lefties on here need to be knocked on the head tbh. It's disrespectful, especially for those of us who are going through that trauma right now of losing a loved one.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:30 - Jan 20 with 3509 viewssparks

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:26 - Jan 20 by LeagueOne

Yeah this is a pretty evil thread in that regard. Also we have a secret ballot in this country, unless the remain camp has obtained the ballot papers illegally as well as the record of who voted for who, we don't know who voted for what in any election.

I think this whole mocking of the dead form the lefties on here need to be knocked on the head tbh. It's disrespectful, especially for those of us who are going through that trauma right now of losing a loved one.

??

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:32 - Jan 20 with 3493 viewspositivity

no need to go all snowflakey, it's robust debate based on facts.

we know very clearly which age groups voted which way, to suggest otherwise is the same unscientific ostrichery that got us into this mess in the first place!

how is it mocking the dead, just saying that someone who is dead should have less of a say about the future than those who have to live with it. churchill dreamt of a "united sttes of europe", but i'm not advocating that his vote be counted either!

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:33 - Jan 20 with 3483 viewsfactual_blue

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:22 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

*you're

*remainers.

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:34 - Jan 20 with 3474 viewsLord_Lucan

You do realise that we never have a secret vote.

Your voting card at every general election has a unique code on it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:35 - Jan 20 with 3472 viewsfactual_blue

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:23 - Jan 20 by positivity

you'll always found a few young people who buck the trend (or older people who voted remain) however the vast majority of people in your age bracket voted remain. the psephologists are clear on the voting patterns.

who knows if the youth will make the right choices, but they'll be the ones to benefit/suffer from their choice, much more than the 80 year olds who were predominantly voted leave.
let them make their bed and lie in it, rather than suffer from the decisions of dead people for the next 50+ years.

Or perhaps their voting choices demonstrate that old age is a state of mind, not a number?

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:36 - Jan 20 with 3464 viewsBackToRussia

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:09 - Jan 20 by factual_blue

Speak for yourself.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:40 - Jan 20 with 3447 viewsBloomBlue

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:17 - Jan 20 by positivity

these voters are now dead, not terminal.

you raise an interesting point about whether weighting should be given to voting depending on how much the outcome effects them (which is the argument brexiteers used to exclude british citizens living abroad). nice idea, complex to enact though

But how do you know the outcome?

Also doesn't that set a dangerous rule. You'll have those on the right saying black people shouldn't vote, you'll have Labour supporters saying Jewish people shouldn't vote.
brexit on 13:46 - Jan 20 with 3426 viewsfactual_blue

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:36 - Jan 20 by BackToRussia

Speak for yourself.

I speak for rational thought and the values of the Enlightenment as being infinitely superior to the rule of mumbo-jumbo, empty rhetoric and downright lies.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 13:51]

brexit on 13:54 - Jan 20 with 3392 viewsBackToRussia

brexit on 13:46 - Jan 20 by factual_blue

I speak for rational thought and the values of the Enlightenment as being infinitely superior to the rule of mumbo-jumbo, empty rhetoric and downright lies.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 13:51]

Who elected you spokesperson for the Enlightenment?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:57 - Jan 20 with 3384 viewsBloots

brexit "the will of dead people" on 13:33 - Jan 20 by factual_blue

*remainers.

*overturn

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

brexit "the will of dead people" on 14:01 - Jan 20 with 3375 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Baldric I have a cunning plan!
brexit "the will of dead people" on 14:02 - Jan 20 with 3367 viewsTrequartista

old people die and young people become eligible to vote, but don't forget everyone in between gets older and wiser, and cancels the effect out.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

brexit "the will of dead people" on 14:05 - Jan 20 with 3357 viewsSpruceMoose

brexit "the will of dead people" on 14:02 - Jan 20 by Trequartista

old people die and young people become eligible to vote, but don't forget everyone in between gets older and wiser, and cancels the effect out.

Isn't the theory that people get more right wing (otherwise known as stupid) as they get older?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

brexit "the will of dead people" on 14:08 - Jan 20 with 3351 viewsPecker

Are you for real? Your wording in unbelievable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024