Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meet the new deal, same as the old deal 07:21 - Jan 21 with 8688 viewsHerbivore

So after all the talk of trying to build a parliamentary consensus to move things forward, May is coming back to parliament today to present a Plan B which is still her deal but asking the EU nicely to amend or remove the backstop. The EU have been clear there's no more wiggle room on the backstop but she's so fixated on her deal that she's just trying to eek out enough support from the DUP and the ERG to squeeze it through. It won't happen, her deal was voted down by a margin of 230 votes ffs.

Excellent work, Mrs May. You're really earning your money on this one.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:30 - Jan 21 with 3796 viewsBloomBlue

A hard brexit is getting nearer... get in there. Party time
Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:30 - Jan 21 with 3792 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any thoughts on the sky poll showing 46% would vote for a hard Brexit. Politically I can fully understand Jezza wanting to steer well clear of another referendum. Also if there was one you can guarantee the emergence of a 'racist light' new Farage party to engage in and do well at a broader political level.
Careful what you wish for.....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:32 - Jan 21 with 3793 viewsHerbivore

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:30 - Jan 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Any thoughts on the sky poll showing 46% would vote for a hard Brexit. Politically I can fully understand Jezza wanting to steer well clear of another referendum. Also if there was one you can guarantee the emergence of a 'racist light' new Farage party to engage in and do well at a broader political level.

The far right have already been emboldened. Wake up.

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:39 - Jan 21 with 3777 viewsBloomBlue

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:32 - Jan 21 by Herbivore

As have the far left
Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:57 - Jan 21 with 3756 viewsHerbivore

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:39 - Jan 21 by BloomBlue

As have the far left

You're so bad at this.

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:01 - Jan 21 with 3734 viewsBenters2

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:30 - Jan 21 by BloomBlue

Rule Britannia!
Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:05 - Jan 21 with 3729 viewsDarth_Koont

I hope the EU tell her to shove it.

I think they've been too nice so far in letting the May circus continue. They must realise that she's a fantasist by now.

Pronouns: He/Him

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:05 - Jan 21 with 3722 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:32 - Jan 21 by Herbivore

And what do you imagine would be the quickest way to take the wind out of their sales......any thoughts on the points I actually raised?

Login to get fewer ads

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:07 - Jan 21 with 3718 viewsWeekender

I cant see how she can make this work without a significant shift from her current position. Her red lines of no single market membership and no form of customs union, which she refuses to move on, and are in the Political Declaration which is why there is backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement. Because of those red lines it is necessary to have a border around the UK. If the UK wishes to set its own tariffs and regulations there has to be a territory within which they apply and so there has to be a border. As there cannot be a guarantee of a future trade Agreement the backstop was devised as an insurance policy.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:14 - Jan 21 with 3694 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:07 - Jan 21 by Weekender

I cant see how she can make this work without a significant shift from her current position. Her red lines of no single market membership and no form of customs union, which she refuses to move on, and are in the Political Declaration which is why there is backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement. Because of those red lines it is necessary to have a border around the UK. If the UK wishes to set its own tariffs and regulations there has to be a territory within which they apply and so there has to be a border. As there cannot be a guarantee of a future trade Agreement the backstop was devised as an insurance policy.

If only there was the ability to negotiate directly with the Irish......but they are not free to make their own decisions.

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:22 - Jan 21 with 3666 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:05 - Jan 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

And what do you imagine would be the quickest way to take the wind out of their sales......any thoughts on the points I actually raised?

If only there was a proper progressive opposition seen as representing the interests of the disenfranchised working class rather than the New Labour London twitterati !

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:25 - Jan 21 with 3654 viewsgiant_stow

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:22 - Jan 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

If only there was a proper progressive opposition seen as representing the interests of the disenfranchised working class rather than the New Labour London twitterati !

Not looking to ruck, but my understanding is that jez and Co are seen as London out of touchers these days. More worried about nationalising stuff than sure start centers.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:34 - Jan 21 with 3630 viewsitfcjoe

She is just utterly incompetent of working to any sort of consensus with anyone.

That 'bloody difficult woman' line was used as a compliment at first, now it's clear it means she is totally unfit for her role

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:46 - Jan 21 with 3598 viewsSwansea_Blue

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:34 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

She is just utterly incompetent of working to any sort of consensus with anyone.

That 'bloody difficult woman' line was used as a compliment at first, now it's clear it means she is totally unfit for her role

And in having any realism. To be fair she was prepared to consider a bilateral agreement with Ireland to help overcome some of the sticking points, so it does have a smidgen of flexibility. Obviously they told her to clear off though as they would rather negotiate as a bloc - gives greater bargaining weight apparently - we should try it!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 09:08 - Jan 21 with 3555 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 08:25 - Jan 21 by giant_stow

Not looking to ruck, but my understanding is that jez and Co are seen as London out of touchers these days. More worried about nationalising stuff than sure start centers.

I'm never interested in rucks.......you have a point......trying to placate the PLP isn't helping.

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 09:36 - Jan 21 with 3499 viewsBlueBadger

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:30 - Jan 21 by BloomBlue

...for a few, very rich people.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 09:37 - Jan 21 with 3504 viewsLeaky

The UK doesn't want a hard border, The Irish don't want a hard border , Northern Ireland doesn't want a hard border. So why have hard border, leave it as it is. Or is it the EU who is insisting on a hard border just to be pedantic. A border is a crossing -ppoint from one country to another as far as I am aware the EU is not a country
Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:19 - Jan 21 with 3452 viewsDarth_Koont

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 09:37 - Jan 21 by Leaky

The UK doesn't want a hard border, The Irish don't want a hard border , Northern Ireland doesn't want a hard border. So why have hard border, leave it as it is. Or is it the EU who is insisting on a hard border just to be pedantic. A border is a crossing -ppoint from one country to another as far as I am aware the EU is not a country

Ireland is another country and part of the European customs union and single market.

You can't have a non-border between two customs areas and two markets. These things depend on control and integrity to be of value.

It's hugely complicated unless the UK government changes its position and removes some red lines. The backstop insurance policy already was the EU compromise to protect Ireland and the GFA.

Pronouns: He/Him

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:24 - Jan 21 with 3441 viewsGuthrum

If she softens her position, May loses her party. She becomes a pariah for those she has counted herself amongst since on her mother's knee.

With her ingrained loyalty to the existing structures and dire warnings from history about leaders who lost their party (Ramsay MacDonald) or who lost power (H H Asquith, Churchill's 1945 defeat) after forming a coalition, it is perhaps unsurprising she has chosen party over compromise, especially with a fairly intransigent Labour leadership on the other side.

However, she is equally not stupid enough to think that hardening the UK's position to get the ERG and DUP onside (insisting upon no backstop) would be acceptable to the EU.

So May has got what she's got and is not enough of a radical to risk busting the party system in finding a way around the impasse.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:30 - Jan 21 with 3412 viewspointofblue

I suppose the other option would be include the rest of the U.K. in the backstop agreement so the backstop doesn’t affect the integrity of the United Kingdom, where one country is under one customs area but the other three under another. I can’t see the Brexiteers voting for that but it might be enough to soothe Remainer MPs?

May has proposed an alternative to the backstop to the EU - some kind of electronic checking away from the border itself IIRC - but I think the EU dismissed it out of hand.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:32 - Jan 21 with 3404 viewsZedRodgers

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 07:30 - Jan 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Another Sky poll from yesterday suggests 26% of people think the term 'No Deal' means remaining as if nothing happened.

Scary stuff.

No, not at the moment

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:33 - Jan 21 with 3400 viewsGlasgowBlue

Good piece in the Indy on how her deal could still get through

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-deal-vote-theresa-may-second-referen

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:36 - Jan 21 with 3385 viewslowhouseblue

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:33 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-deal-vote-theresa-may-second-referen

it's almost as if the negotiation and decision process is more complex than the black and white world of twtd. who'd have thought it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:40 - Jan 21 with 3361 viewsStokieBlue

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:32 - Jan 21 by ZedRodgers

Another Sky poll from yesterday suggests 26% of people think the term 'No Deal' means remaining as if nothing happened.

Scary stuff.

That really is rather worrying.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:40 - Jan 21 with 3360 viewsGuthrum

Meet the new deal, same as the old deal on 10:33 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

Interesting, but perhaps a little optimistic (from a pro-deal perspective). Requires a lot of things to fall in line, including a substantial Conservative rebellion.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024