Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How good is lambert really... 08:14 - Jan 21 with 9834 viewskeanekipper

First of all i will say im happy he is here and committed to next season, as the club needs some stability during our impending relegation.

Lambert is definitely very good off the field and that is where is we have seen the improvment in ipswich since he arrived, but on the field there really hasnt been any improvment bar passing the ball more in posistions that dont affect the game. There have been postive periods in a few games where you can see and imagine what the future could be like, but im thinking by now we should be seeing more than a few periods of good play in what is now a good sample size of games.

Am i being harsh considering the mess he inherited, to expect him to have judged the squad and figure out a more effective way of playing to get points, to me it seems he's not managing to the situation and trying to play a style of football which doesnt suit the players we have in both ability and confidence.

Maybe im just overly down on us at the minute, roll on the summer!!!!
How good is lambert really... on 08:17 - Jan 21 with 5939 viewsReuser_is_God

Wait until he’s had a few transfer windows & when we can see this truly is his team before judging him.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

How good is lambert really... on 08:30 - Jan 21 with 5883 viewsDarth_Koont

Difficult to say but he inherited a team in quicksand and it's only now he's been able to bring in players that I'm sure we can all agree we needed earlier.

He's doing a lot of good stuff on and off the pitch IMO but as long as we're in that quicksand it's not easy to turn into results. I'd argue it's the new players and gaps being filled that can do this so hopefully we see an improvement from now on.

Obviously if there's little change then it's fair to suggest Lambert might have gone about it the wrong way and point to how Mick took the defensive approach to shore us up and then snatch wins. But it's academic if we didn't have the defensive players who could do that for 90 minutes. So, for me, he likely gets a free pass this season given the players and the position he inherited. But he'll have to prove himself fairly quickly next season if we're in League One.

Pronouns: He/Him

on 08:34 - Jan 21 with 5869 views_

How good is lambert really... on 08:36 - Jan 21 with 5864 viewskeanekipper

How good is lambert really... on 08:17 - Jan 21 by Reuser_is_God

Wait until he’s had a few transfer windows & when we can see this truly is his team before judging him.

It just seems he's come in and said im playing this way regardless which is all well and good once you've got points on the board. I just think he could of made us abit more effective, then gradually implement his style of play.
How good is lambert really... on 08:39 - Jan 21 with 5847 viewsDarth_Koont

on 08:34 - Jan 21 by _

Yeah, I think it's fairer to argue what Lambert could be doing differently. There are no easy answers there either.

Lambert certainly isn't responsible for our underlying league position and squad difficulties — and these are still the dominant factors in all this.

How good is lambert really... on 08:48 - Jan 21 with 5807 viewsElephantintheRoom

On the evidence of his recent jobs - not very good at all. But Town were grasping at straws having stabbed Hurst in the back almost as soon as he got his feet under the desk. Lambert's hands are tied this season - and if you exclude his excellent PR, his management technique has been a bit iffy to say the least. Rubbishing the players he inherited whilst making them worse, rubbishing them again and replacing them with highly questionable short-term duds within a week of declaring short termism madness. It would have been nice to see him manage this season with what he inherited or were out on loan. Or if he had a clear plan of action that didn't look like a cheaper version of MM. His obsession with physicality is not overly impressive either in an era when skill and ability is somewhat important. Give him time. Hopefully he will cut down the soundbites and gimmicks and start managing some time soon. Be interesting to see if anything is said about a plan when Milne exits at the end of the month (if he hasn't gone already).

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

How good is lambert really... on 08:56 - Jan 21 with 5762 viewsDarth_Koont

How good is lambert really... on 08:48 - Jan 21 by ElephantintheRoom

On the evidence of his recent jobs - not very good at all. But Town were grasping at straws having stabbed Hurst in the back almost as soon as he got his feet under the desk. Lambert's hands are tied this season - and if you exclude his excellent PR, his management technique has been a bit iffy to say the least. Rubbishing the players he inherited whilst making them worse, rubbishing them again and replacing them with highly questionable short-term duds within a week of declaring short termism madness. It would have been nice to see him manage this season with what he inherited or were out on loan. Or if he had a clear plan of action that didn't look like a cheaper version of MM. His obsession with physicality is not overly impressive either in an era when skill and ability is somewhat important. Give him time. Hopefully he will cut down the soundbites and gimmicks and start managing some time soon. Be interesting to see if anything is said about a plan when Milne exits at the end of the month (if he hasn't gone already).

That's a load of old nonsense.

How good is lambert really... on 08:59 - Jan 21 with 5751 viewsITFC_Forever

We've improved from being totally crap to not very good.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

How good is lambert really... on 09:14 - Jan 21 with 5704 viewsArnieM

OP: please don’t start all that shyte . Lambert has been here only s few months . Largely working with Hursts players , and even now only doing a patch up job ( which he , himself said would be his first job b4 going on to rebuild the Club). How about giving him the same time span McCarthy had before passing comments that have a tendency to pick up momentum !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

How good is lambert really... on 09:20 - Jan 21 with 5683 viewsSwansea_Blue

How good is lambert really... on 09:14 - Jan 21 by ArnieM

OP: please don’t start all that shyte . Lambert has been here only s few months . Largely working with Hursts players , and even now only doing a patch up job ( which he , himself said would be his first job b4 going on to rebuild the Club). How about giving him the same time span McCarthy had before passing comments that have a tendency to pick up momentum !

Don't disagree, except with the McCarthy comment - he turned us around immediately using the previous managers players. Paul couldn't have got off to a worse start results wise. Although Mick had better players (the likes of Chambo and DJ Campbell, rather than Nsiala and Roberts), so it's not a straightforward comparison.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How good is lambert really... on 09:22 - Jan 21 with 5670 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How good is lambert really... on 09:14 - Jan 21 by ArnieM

He’ll get the same time McCarthy had if he delivers the results McCarthy did...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How good is lambert really... on 09:27 - Jan 21 with 5645 viewschicoazul

How good is lambert really... on 08:59 - Jan 21 by ITFC_Forever

We've improved from being totally crap to not very good.

It's like Brexit.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How good is lambert really... on 09:38 - Jan 21 with 5600 viewsDubtractor

I posted this on here the other day, which just about sums up my thoughts. Not good enough so far, but need to give him a chance, in summary.

"To be honest, results under Lambert haven't been good enough, regardless of the mess he inherited. But...........

He is doing and saying all the right things though, and I think we need to give him the opportunity to build his own team and give him at least 18 months to see what he can do. The fact we got 21k in the ground for Rotherham, ticket offer or not, was pretty remarkable and I don't recall the fan base being as united as this in ages. We need to go with it and see where it takes us - probably down to start with, but hopefully re energised for a proper go at getting back up again."

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

How good is lambert really... on 09:44 - Jan 21 with 5573 viewsjpring89

Lambert has inherited a league 1 team playing in the championship. I don’t expect him realistically to keep us up but still have hope and believe he can. You can’t judge him until next season. You can’t argue with him for how he’s seemingly United the fans and club again it’s quite something considering our current position. The guy I’m sure will sort our team out in due course but that will take time because you can’t fix this squad in just 1 transfer window.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

How good is lambert really... on 09:44 - Jan 21 with 5568 viewschicoazul

How good is lambert really... on 09:38 - Jan 21 by Dubtractor

I posted this on here the other day, which just about sums up my thoughts. Not good enough so far, but need to give him a chance, in summary.

"To be honest, results under Lambert haven't been good enough, regardless of the mess he inherited. But...........

He is doing and saying all the right things though, and I think we need to give him the opportunity to build his own team and give him at least 18 months to see what he can do. The fact we got 21k in the ground for Rotherham, ticket offer or not, was pretty remarkable and I don't recall the fan base being as united as this in ages. We need to go with it and see where it takes us - probably down to start with, but hopefully re energised for a proper go at getting back up again."

I make you right.

No seriously I do. Lambert is the best thing to happen to us in many a year and it's great news he is sticking around next year (although how long that will be is anyone's guess). I am looking forward to L1, as it will make a nice change to win a few games and be a big club.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How good is lambert really... on 09:54 - Jan 21 with 5523 viewsthejock

How good is lambert really... on 09:44 - Jan 21 by chicoazul

I make you right.

No seriously I do. Lambert is the best thing to happen to us in many a year and it's great news he is sticking around next year (although how long that will be is anyone's guess). I am looking forward to L1, as it will make a nice change to win a few games and be a big club.

My budgie friends say the actual talent when he was there was Ian Culverhouse

Lambert was the PR man
How good is lambert really... on 09:56 - Jan 21 with 5519 viewsGuthrum

At present, we have had only two league matches with Lambert's renovated team, of which we have won one at home and lost one away.

Between Lambert's arrival and the new faces coming in, he has failed to get anything much more out of the squad than the previous bloke (or the caretaker). Which rather suggests that we did not have enough players of sufficient quality - or form - in the right positions to make a difference, however he shuffled them. You can't make fine clothes from sackcloth.

I'm not sure what formation he could have played which might have compensated from having, apart from Sears, only strikers rather out of their depth in a higher division available - without yet further weakening an extremely youthful midfield (Skuse having been out injured for several weeks) and a wobbly defence.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How good is lambert really... on 10:01 - Jan 21 with 5492 viewsbluefunk

How good is lambert really... on 09:20 - Jan 21 by Swansea_Blue

Don't disagree, except with the McCarthy comment - he turned us around immediately using the previous managers players. Paul couldn't have got off to a worse start results wise. Although Mick had better players (the likes of Chambo and DJ Campbell, rather than Nsiala and Roberts), so it's not a straightforward comparison.

MM had the benefit of the loan system in force at the time, he could make instant changes. So while he did have better players when he arrived he could also make immediate changes, Rather than waiting 3 months while the situation got ever more desperate, so Luongos loan was terminated, Stearman recruited, for example.

PL hasn’t had that luxury
How good is lambert really... on 10:07 - Jan 21 with 5449 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How good is lambert really... on 10:01 - Jan 21 by bluefunk

MM had the benefit of the loan system in force at the time, he could make instant changes. So while he did have better players when he arrived he could also make immediate changes, Rather than waiting 3 months while the situation got ever more desperate, so Luongos loan was terminated, Stearman recruited, for example.

PL hasn’t had that luxury

Stearman signed for us in January of that year

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How good is lambert really... on 10:08 - Jan 21 with 5439 viewsBlueBadger

I don't think we'll really have much of a clue until next season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How good is lambert really... on 10:11 - Jan 21 with 5423 viewsiamipswich

How good is lambert really... on 09:54 - Jan 21 by thejock

My budgie friends say the actual talent when he was there was Ian Culverhouse

Lambert was the PR man

Do bear in mind that their fans have gone off Lambert since he left and Culverhouse played for Norwich 300 times so they will undoubtedly laud him as the genius.

Not saying they're totally wrong because PR does seem to be Lambert's forte but I'm sure he had a large contribution on the field at Norwich too.

Poll: Who will return first?

How good is lambert really... on 10:31 - Jan 21 with 5335 viewsIpswichTownNL

on 08:34 - Jan 21 by _

We brought Lambert in because we expected him to do better with the squad at hand. Could have well stuck with Hurst until January if we didn’t. He walked in with a ‘Hold my beer, I got this’ attitude and changed next to nothing on the pitch. I for one expected a bit more from an experienced manager.

Did he inherit a mess? Yes. Fair to judge him already? No. Do I want him to stay? Yes. But not being able to ask questions annoys me as there are serval issues that are certainly up for discussion. The personal beefs with Graham and Donacien in our time of need. Elder over Kenlock. Dropping Harrison from the squat after a fantastic game vs Millwall. Us being worse every second half of pretty much every game.

His PR game is A+ and much needed / appreciated but it won’t last until the end of the season.

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

How good is lambert really... on 10:45 - Jan 21 with 5277 viewsSwansea_Blue

How good is lambert really... on 10:07 - Jan 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Stearman signed for us in January of that year

Yep, Stearman joined on 29th Jan https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21244056

Mick did have the opportunity to recruit , I'd forgotten that. Kelly Youga (not sure he got a game), Bradley Orr and Tyrone Barnett (irrelevant too) came in mid-November, although Mick had already overseen 2 wins out of 3 by then.

Then Tyrone Mings of course, in mid-December.

The thing that stands out form the match reports at the time (yes, I've been sad enough to trawl through the TWTD archives) is the partnership between Murphy and DJ Campbell. That's key for me. We don't have the quality that Mick inherited. Mick's early signings before the window had limited effect - Orr was the only regular.

2012/13
Jewell P13, W1, D4, L8 (7 pts, 0.54 pts/game)
Mick's start P14, W7, D3, L4 (24 pts, 1.71 pts/game)

2018/19
Hurst P14, W1,D6, L7 (9 pts, 0.64 pts/game)
Lambert's start P14, W2, D3, L9 (9 pts, 0.64 pts/game)

Whatever way you look at it, with minimal changes Mick's start was phenomenal. We haven't had an on-pitch bump with Lambert. Although obviously the mood around the place has lifted.

How good is lambert really... on 10:46 - Jan 21 with 5279 viewsHARRY10

I think he is someone we have been needing for quite a while.

He's not a miracle worker and the problems go far deeper than just turning round a poorly performing squad. The whole club has been quietly rotting from the inside for years. The squad he inherited is evidence of that.
Unless we can see the actual amounts coming into the club and going out isft is hard to judge what decisions were 'forced upon MM or Hurst.

I suspect that it was financial constraint that saw us crunch through so many old has beens looking for their last paysay. Some of whom didn't even last a season. I think MM had over 90 players pass through the club in hs time here.

Of course we all want to stay up, but if we are to go down then at least we will have a manager and a set up that will know where the -problems lie and will have had time to prepare for the new season he will have seen what youngsters can step up, which of them need to be developed through loaning out and who won't make it.

My biggest fear was not so much relegation itself but that were we to go down it would have meant a panic 'clear out' new manager coming in to try and sort out the mess. This way gives us experience and stability. A set up that should have us ready by the first game rather than the shambles of last summer.

Relegation will hurt. Hurt like hell. But maybe being a big fish in a smaller pond for a season will do us good. Get the ticket price right and a team fighting to get back up will put new life into the club, and the fans.

For that to happen Evans needs to step back. Hand over the reins to Lambert who can run the club, rather than some one like Milne trying. Return to being a community club, that involves everyone. From ex players to local businesses and supporters seen as a big part of the club not folk who are told to eff off.

We can do it.
How good is lambert really... on 10:52 - Jan 21 with 5257 viewsSwansea_Blue

How good is lambert really... on 10:46 - Jan 21 by HARRY10

I think he is someone we have been needing for quite a while.

He's not a miracle worker and the problems go far deeper than just turning round a poorly performing squad. The whole club has been quietly rotting from the inside for years. The squad he inherited is evidence of that.
Unless we can see the actual amounts coming into the club and going out isft is hard to judge what decisions were 'forced upon MM or Hurst.

I suspect that it was financial constraint that saw us crunch through so many old has beens looking for their last paysay. Some of whom didn't even last a season. I think MM had over 90 players pass through the club in hs time here.

Of course we all want to stay up, but if we are to go down then at least we will have a manager and a set up that will know where the -problems lie and will have had time to prepare for the new season he will have seen what youngsters can step up, which of them need to be developed through loaning out and who won't make it.

My biggest fear was not so much relegation itself but that were we to go down it would have meant a panic 'clear out' new manager coming in to try and sort out the mess. This way gives us experience and stability. A set up that should have us ready by the first game rather than the shambles of last summer.

Relegation will hurt. Hurt like hell. But maybe being a big fish in a smaller pond for a season will do us good. Get the ticket price right and a team fighting to get back up will put new life into the club, and the fans.

For that to happen Evans needs to step back. Hand over the reins to Lambert who can run the club, rather than some one like Milne trying. Return to being a community club, that involves everyone. From ex players to local businesses and supporters seen as a big part of the club not folk who are told to eff off.

We can do it.

Evans is stepping in, not back. He's taking over Milne's duties and is going to be more hands on. How that will work out given his poor track record is anyone's guess. I suppose it depends why he was getting things and decisions wrong in the first place. If it was because he didn't really understand what was going on and relied too much on advice, maybe it's a good thing. We'll soon find out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024