Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill 13:24 - Jan 22 with 5477 viewsbluebud

The oap who fell on the new Cornhill steps has sadly passed away. My thoughts are with his family.

This is a shocking result - the new design, whilst being an improvement (just) has really let down the people of Ipswich.

I also feel it's highlighted just how out of touch our town centre managers are...whether that be Ipswich Central, the borough or at County level...I'm sure Ipswich must be one of the most managed (per head) for such a small population in the country.

[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 13:26]
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 13:40 - Jan 22 with 4684 viewsWithnail

The ambulance couldn't even get to the scene.

Another great bit of planning by our incompetent civil service.
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 13:51 - Jan 22 with 4641 viewsitfcjoe

Just out of interest why is it the design which is the issue with this tragic accident? Not a dig, just haven't read much about it so interested to know

Ipswich struggles because Suffolk County seem to sh*t on it from a great height - no joined up thinking between the two

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 13:58 - Jan 22 with 4578 viewsIllinoisblue

do we know it was the new design steps that caused the fall?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 13:59 - Jan 22 with 4579 viewsbluebud

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 13:51 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

Just out of interest why is it the design which is the issue with this tragic accident? Not a dig, just haven't read much about it so interested to know

Ipswich struggles because Suffolk County seem to sh*t on it from a great height - no joined up thinking between the two

The steps are all grey and matching the surface shade basically....especially difficult for people with sight problems.....also when the weather is dull it's worse. There have been 7 reported accidents already

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/cornhill-steps-fall-victim-dies-from-injuries
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:07 - Jan 22 with 4540 viewsRegencyBlue

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 13:51 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

I dont know where exactly this particular incident happened but there are parts where one level 'merges' into another and its not immediately obvious there is a step there until its too late.

They put some crowd barriers up against part of it after the first day it was opened so I'm guessing there were problems from the start.

How we apparently paid £3.5 million for this awful looking re-vamp is another issue!
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:14 - Jan 22 with 4496 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:07 - Jan 22 by RegencyBlue

I dont know where exactly this particular incident happened but there are parts where one level 'merges' into another and its not immediately obvious there is a step there until its too late.

They put some crowd barriers up against part of it after the first day it was opened so I'm guessing there were problems from the start.

How we apparently paid £3.5 million for this awful looking re-vamp is another issue!

Firstly - happy to concede that I’m not elderly and hard of sight, so possible that I may be way wide of the mark on this one

But...the steps aren’t exactly tiny and there are handrails either side - I’m therefore struggling to see what makes them so difficult to see or handle? I do also accept that steps aren’t easy to navigate for some people however the new bit doesn’t take up the whole of Cornhill so still the option of going down via slope if preferred

None of this is intended as a dig at the person who died - clearly a very tragic accident and awful for friends and family no doubt

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:17 - Jan 22 with 4479 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:07 - Jan 22 by RegencyBlue

To add re the revamp - I’ve seen lots of comments about how it is such a waste and should have been spent elsewhere on the homeless or other issues. Personally I’m not against the idea - clearly improving the town centre is a good thing for the town and done well should help drive business and ultimately pay for itself

However, have to agree that the design is terrible - couldn’t help but think is that it when I first saw it, as it very much looks like half a job to me!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:21 - Jan 22 with 4466 viewslinhdi

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:14 - Jan 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Firstly - happy to concede that I’m not elderly and hard of sight, so possible that I may be way wide of the mark on this one

But...the steps aren’t exactly tiny and there are handrails either side - I’m therefore struggling to see what makes them so difficult to see or handle? I do also accept that steps aren’t easy to navigate for some people however the new bit doesn’t take up the whole of Cornhill so still the option of going down via slope if preferred

None of this is intended as a dig at the person who died - clearly a very tragic accident and awful for friends and family no doubt

The grey steps are not obvious to anyone with value-added sight or general awareness, which would include anyone living with dementia (even at a very early stage). I was surprised that they were not coloured more distinctively.

We'll likely end up with a cheap yellow paint solution.
Login to get fewer ads

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:26 - Jan 22 with 4437 viewsjjblue84

Why even have steps there? Seems bizarre!
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:40 - Jan 22 with 4379 viewstrncbluearmy

Very shallow series of steps designed and passed by idiots, accident waiting to happen, thought that first time I walked through the Cornhill ON THE WAY to the pub.

Ipswich and area has been so badly run for so many years no wonder everyone sods of to scum and Bury
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:43 - Jan 22 with 4370 viewsWithnail

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:40 - Jan 22 by trncbluearmy

Very shallow series of steps designed and passed by idiots, accident waiting to happen, thought that first time I walked through the Cornhill ON THE WAY to the pub.

Ipswich and area has been so badly run for so many years no wonder everyone sods of to scum and Bury

There will be some people sweating right now in the planning dept.

Or they will probably be on sick leave for the next 3 months.
on 14:49 - Jan 22 with 4338 views_

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 14:43 - Jan 22 by Withnail

There will be some people sweating right now in the planning dept.

Or they will probably be on sick leave for the next 3 months.

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:02 - Jan 22 with 4298 viewsbluebud

on 14:49 - Jan 22 by _

...because you like having negative opinions about other posters as opposed to genunely participating in threads?
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:06 - Jan 22 with 4281 viewsJakeITFC

I think the revamp has improved an awful area, thought it looked especially good with the Christmas decorations.
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:15 - Jan 22 with 4228 viewsDeano69

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:06 - Jan 22 by JakeITFC

I think the revamp has improved an awful area, thought it looked especially good with the Christmas decorations.

I think it needed the decorations to make it looks nice. Its Grey and cold, uninspiring in design and there are many trip or fall hazards.

In fairness, it was always going to be difficult planning the levelling of such a slope, but would have thought £3,500,000 was more than enough to cover that as an issue.

Utter waste in my opinion.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:20 - Jan 22 with 4206 viewsbluebud

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:15 - Jan 22 by Deano69

I think it needed the decorations to make it looks nice. Its Grey and cold, uninspiring in design and there are many trip or fall hazards.

In fairness, it was always going to be difficult planning the levelling of such a slope, but would have thought £3,500,000 was more than enough to cover that as an issue.

I was expecting a bit more plaza/piazza style, lighter two tone paving...

..we got a weird Bauhaus Stonehenge gig.
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:22 - Jan 22 with 4193 viewsBluespeed225

This is very sad news, and as you point out, Ipswich is held in a headlock by SCC and its planning departments, and wealthy, thereby influential, landowning country types north of the Town. 1974 boundary changes...
However, the gentlemen who had passed away has bought to light the issue of The Cornhill, in that no one wanted it done, and it’s now been bought to attention in a tragic manner.
Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:23 - Jan 22 with 4189 viewsDeano69

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:20 - Jan 22 by bluebud

I was expecting a bit more plaza/piazza style, lighter two tone paving...

..we got a weird Bauhaus Stonehenge gig.

Does two-tone Grey count?

Was thinking very Continental and sophisticated, got Flintstones and Colditz (Bauhaus is another great description)

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:27 - Jan 22 with 4172 viewsLord_Lucan

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:15 - Jan 22 by Deano69

£3.5m is crazy.

I'm not against spending that sort of money - Christ we need it................but £3.5m

Absolutely ridiculous price for that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:30 - Jan 22 with 4162 viewsitfcjoe

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:27 - Jan 22 by Lord_Lucan

£3.5m is crazy.

I'm not against spending that sort of money - Christ we need it................but £3.5m

I just don't understand where the money goes on a job like that, I can't remember the exact figures but think we got around that for building 10 houses in Nacton valued from £800k to £1.2m.....how can 10 luxury houses be the same price as a relatively small town centre

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:31 - Jan 22 with 4153 viewsDeano69

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:27 - Jan 22 by Lord_Lucan

£3.5m is crazy.

I would have fully and accepted it were it amazing and a real crowd pleaser, as you say, the Town Centre needs some life breathed back in to, but you, £3.5m for Stoned Henge, nah.

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:34 - Jan 22 with 4137 viewsLord_Lucan

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:30 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

I just don't understand where the money goes on a job like that, I can't remember the exact figures but think we got around that for building 10 houses in Nacton valued from £800k to £1.2m.....how can 10 luxury houses be the same price as a relatively small town centre

I am no expert on this matter but I would imagine a load of red tape and organised by a bunch of know nothing self serving tossers.

IMHO of course.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:34 - Jan 22 with 4137 viewsDeano69

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:30 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

Cant understand why they hand cut every brick?? Did the same near Giles Statue etc.

Looks like it will be lethal with a bit of snow or ice.....

on 15:41 - Jan 22 with 4101 views_

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 15:02 - Jan 22 by bluebud

...because you like having negative opinions about other posters as opposed to genunely participating in threads?

Man dies following fall at newly-revamped Cornhill on 16:45 - Jan 22 with 3954 viewsbluebud

on 15:41 - Jan 22 by _

..more like a clear observation, crystal clear in fact.

This thread was concerning a dreadful accident where a pensioner lost his life on the newly reconstructed Cornhill......you bundled into the thread slagging off Withnail and all of his posts....no other contribution and nothing to say about the very sad topic.

..so no theories, interesting to you or not. Your post

"Why does everything you post on here make me think you're a stone cold d1ck?"

at least deserved my question

"because you like having negative opinions about other posters as opposed to genunely participating in threads?"

Most members of the community already knew the answer I'm sure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024