Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members 13:57 - Jan 22 with 6237 viewsblue62

Off to California this summer, making use for the first time of not having to wait for school holiday.

Any advice on where to go and what to see?

So far have planned on San Diego, LA, Yosemite, San Fran, but any other suggestions or things to do while there would be good.
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 13:59 - Jan 22 with 5232 viewswkj

To me one has to visit the beauty of the Napa Valley west of Sacramento, nothing else in California comes close

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:00 - Jan 22 with 5232 viewsIllinoisblue

san fran is a great city, even if it is filthy dirty. Million dollar apartments with, literally, small villages of tented homeless folks on the street outside. It's tragic and fascinating at the same time.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:14 - Jan 22 with 5203 viewsGuthrum

Drive some of the Pacific coast road. Quite spectacular. Did the bit from Cambria up to Santa Cruz back in September (good fish restaurant at Moss Landing, near Monterey, with sea otters in the water nearby).

Lake Tahoe is very pretty.

Yosemite is great (tho if not staying there, arrive very early), as is SF itself (take the bus tour and a boat trip).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:26 - Jan 22 with 5168 viewsjjblue84

Death Valley is worth a detour!
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:34 - Jan 22 with 5155 viewsbluefunk

When in SanFran, well worth taking the ferry to Sausalito for a change of pace, great views of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz on the trip, some great places for lunch while you are there.

Highway One has now reopened, so look at that if you are driving, Pismo Beach is a great place to stop overnight on the way
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:42 - Jan 22 with 5141 viewsCoastalblue

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:34 - Jan 22 by bluefunk

When in SanFran, well worth taking the ferry to Sausalito for a change of pace, great views of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz on the trip, some great places for lunch while you are there.

Highway One has now reopened, so look at that if you are driving, Pismo Beach is a great place to stop overnight on the way

Stayed in Sausalito when we visited for our return trip up to San Fran, it is indeed very nice and the ferry trip across is lovely. There are (or were night buses from San Fran if you want to go out and stay there)

Avoid the weekend if visiting Yosemite, it turns into a giant car park in the valley, depending upon when you go be aware of weather if intending to go through the higher passes, we ended up with an 8 hour detour in September due to snowfall.

Actually it was a bit weird, we went from heat in Death valley to snow storms on a mountain pass in consecutive days.

Definitely drive some of the Pacific Coast Highway, it's jaw dropping.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:42 - Jan 22 with 5140 viewsStokieBlue

Sequoia national park is great and a less crowded than Yosemite - doesn't have the famous sights of course, just massive trees.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:48 - Jan 22 with 5129 viewsCoastalblue

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:42 - Jan 22 by StokieBlue

Sequoia national park is great and a less crowded than Yosemite - doesn't have the famous sights of course, just massive trees.

SB

That's my first stop when I go back, either later this year or next year.

The desert areas are nice as well for a change of pace, some amazing long straight roads with not another human in sight. We stayed into the desert near to Joshua Tree National park in an old cabin, it was an amazing experience.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 14:58 - Jan 22 with 5111 viewsartsbossbeard

San Fran is amazing - watch out for The Bushman on the piers..

If you're there on a Sunday take a stroll to Golden Gate Park and watch the local musicians play some tunes.

Visit the surf towns south of LA - Huntingdon Beach & Newport Beach are my favourite places. I saw 20+ experienced surfers sitting on a beach front wall at Newport Beach awaiting the 'perfect wave' to form and then dash to the sea once they spotted it on the horizon.

Griffiths Observatory - LA (closed Mondays) is well worth a visit. Go see The Dodgers play ball too.

Also, take a drive inland to Palm Springs and take a cable car up to the top of the mountain and throw a snowball.

Love Cali.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 15:03 - Jan 22 with 5097 viewsfloridablue

The MLS league will be up and running through the summer so you could take in a game at the L A Galaxy or San Jose Earthquakes. A visit and tour of a winery up in the Napa Valley would be on my to do list if I'm in the San Fran area.
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 15:16 - Jan 22 with 5054 viewsartsbossbeard

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 15:03 - Jan 22 by floridablue

The MLS league will be up and running through the summer so you could take in a game at the L A Galaxy or San Jose Earthquakes. A visit and tour of a winery up in the Napa Valley would be on my to do list if I'm in the San Fran area.

Saw The Galaxy when I was there.

Brilliant evening - live band before, BBQ food during & Gio playing.

There's 2x LA teams now, of course.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 15:29 - Jan 22 with 5014 viewsfactual_blue

Alcatraz.

Carmel and Monterey

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 15:55 - Jan 22 with 4979 viewshorsehollerer

Personally I wouldn't bother with San Diego. Drive inland to Death Valley instead. All other suggestions on here are spot on.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 15:59 - Jan 22 with 4966 viewsblue62

Some great advice and some I had not even considered.

I want to see a ball game, def Napa Valley, Staying on Huntingdon beach for one night.

No one mentioned Disney? There is a 15yo involved so have to face that for a day.

Alcatraz a def and is the Golden Gate bridge.

Got 5 months of planning to do, thanks so far.
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 15:59 - Jan 22 with 4966 viewsKropotkin123

Been to LA and San Fran. Plenty to do in both, depending on what you enjoy. I didn't expect to like Universal Studios, but did. Alcatraz is good, they have an audio tour that makes it more interesting. If you have the time and desire, Portland isn't too far away and is tax free... so perfect opportunity to pick up electronics or jewellery, etc. For what it is worth, I preferred LA. The way of life was chilled. I went skating and paddle boarding, trekked to the Hollywood sign. Spent a day at the beach.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:03 - Jan 22 with 4953 viewsblue62

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 15:59 - Jan 22 by Kropotkin123

Been to LA and San Fran. Plenty to do in both, depending on what you enjoy. I didn't expect to like Universal Studios, but did. Alcatraz is good, they have an audio tour that makes it more interesting. If you have the time and desire, Portland isn't too far away and is tax free... so perfect opportunity to pick up electronics or jewellery, etc. For what it is worth, I preferred LA. The way of life was chilled. I went skating and paddle boarding, trekked to the Hollywood sign. Spent a day at the beach.

That's interesting, some people I have spoken to, didnt rate LA at all, but I want to go, even just to do the hike to the sign. Seems silly to go there and not see it.
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:05 - Jan 22 with 4949 viewsfooters

How easy is it to get up and down the west coast if you don't drive? I've got two mates, one in San Fran and one in Vancouver, and wanted to see how much else of that stretch I could visit. Portland sounds cool, if not a bit hipstery, and there are a few other places I'd love to visit but is that unthinkable without a drivers licence?
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 16:05]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:11 - Jan 22 with 4935 viewsartsbossbeard

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:03 - Jan 22 by blue62

That's interesting, some people I have spoken to, didnt rate LA at all, but I want to go, even just to do the hike to the sign. Seems silly to go there and not see it.

Downtown LA is a bit a of a hole, to be fair. Santa Monica, Venice Beach aren't that far away though.

Go to Griffiths Observatory, have a morning there and then you get a fantastic picture opp outside looking back on the Hollywood sign which is v close by.

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:14 - Jan 22 with 4929 viewsSpruceMoose

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:05 - Jan 22 by footers

How easy is it to get up and down the west coast if you don't drive? I've got two mates, one in San Fran and one in Vancouver, and wanted to see how much else of that stretch I could visit. Portland sounds cool, if not a bit hipstery, and there are a few other places I'd love to visit but is that unthinkable without a drivers licence?

Don't forget about your buddies on the East coast!

Here's Amtrak for California anyway https://www.amtrak.com/regions/california.html
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 16:15]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:17 - Jan 22 with 4912 viewsconnorscontract

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:05 - Jan 22 by footers

I think North Americans would think nothing of flying from San Francisco to Portland to Vancouver.

But you are really describing a pretty perfect road trip. That way you get to take time over it and enjoy the changing scenery, stop in the small towns, eat far too much smoke house food...

It looks like a pretty tough bus ride:

https://www.busbud.com/en-gb/bus-schedules-results/9q8yyk/c20fbr?outbound_date=2
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:22 - Jan 22 with 4897 viewsSpruceMoose

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:17 - Jan 22 by connorscontract

I think North Americans would think nothing of flying from San Francisco to Portland to Vancouver.

But you are really describing a pretty perfect road trip. That way you get to take time over it and enjoy the changing scenery, stop in the small towns, eat far too much smoke house food...

It looks like a pretty tough bus ride:

https://www.busbud.com/en-gb/bus-schedules-results/9q8yyk/c20fbr?outbound_date=2

Also remember, buses in the States are generally used by people who can't afford to fly, or people who aren't allowed to fly. Especially over reasonably long distances.

The train is similar but as it is more expensive the bus remains the first choice for the impoverished or the plain old deranged.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:23 - Jan 22 with 4894 viewsSacrebleu

If you like train journeys and some time out of CA I would recommend the Amtrak Coast Starlight trip, LA to Seattle, or anywhere south of Seattle. Coast views and wilderness / forest. Day and a half journey to Seattle.
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:31 - Jan 22 with 4865 viewsfooters

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:14 - Jan 22 by SpruceMoose

Don't forget about your buddies on the East coast!

Here's Amtrak for California anyway https://www.amtrak.com/regions/california.html
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 16:15]

When does hunting season start in New York?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:33 - Jan 22 with 4862 viewsFenoit

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:22 - Jan 22 by SpruceMoose

Also remember, buses in the States are generally used by people who can't afford to fly, or people who aren't allowed to fly. Especially over reasonably long distances.

The train is similar but as it is more expensive the bus remains the first choice for the impoverished or the plain old deranged.

I can only second this.

We got the bus from Seattle to Portland. Though we may have saved $100 on the fare (compared to taking the train) there certainly were some questionable individuals on that bus.
Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 16:34 - Jan 22 with 4850 viewsFenoit

Holiday advice from the well travelled TWTD members on 15:55 - Jan 22 by horsehollerer

Personally I wouldn't bother with San Diego. Drive inland to Death Valley instead. All other suggestions on here are spot on.

I guess you went to the wrong parts, because me and my wife both love San Diego. We have been a couple of times and keep finding more and more great places to explore. North Park was new to us on the last visit, but if you are a beer lover, it is heaven!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024