Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sterling hits highest level since November. 11:58 - Jan 24 with 4436 viewsLord_Lucan

- Pound nears $1.31 and €1.15
- Euro recovery may be curbed by cautious ECB.
- Prolonged US shutdown weighs on dollar.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:28 - Jan 24 with 3056 viewsNo9

Gamblers at play
Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:30 - Jan 24 with 3041 viewsBloomBlue

Obviously another day nearer a Brexit no deal is having a positive impact on the £
Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:31 - Jan 24 with 3031 viewsjjblue84

#DespiteBrexit
Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:32 - Jan 24 with 3023 viewsclive_baker

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:30 - Jan 24 by BloomBlue

Obviously another day nearer a Brexit no deal is having a positive impact on the £

A day closer to Brexit not happening at all maybe

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:32 - Jan 24 with 3022 viewsPJH

and still not guaranteed a start for Man C.
Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:34 - Jan 24 with 3015 viewschicoazul

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:28 - Jan 24 by No9

Gamblers at play

Seems to me like someone knows something and the deal is close.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:53 - Jan 24 with 2951 viewsBloomBlue

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:34 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

As in the no deal deal has been done?

I've never understood how a no deal isn't a deal because surely when we leave that's the deal, we tell them we're leaving and they aren't getting any money; deal with it EU
Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:55 - Jan 24 with 2938 viewswkj

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:53 - Jan 24 by BloomBlue

I've never understood how a no deal isn't a deal because surely when we leave that's the deal, we tell them we're leaving and they aren't getting any money; deal with it EU

Not understanding what the Government means by leave seems to be a common theme.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:57 - Jan 24 with 2928 viewsFtnfwest

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:28 - Jan 24 by No9

Gamblers at play

except when it goes down when its brexit
Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:07 - Jan 24 with 2904 viewsWeekender

No deal isn't a deal because it means leaving without a deal (withdrawal agreement). Kind of does what is says on the tin.

The EU will have a claim for the £39bn as this is a payment of previous agreements/commitments, not as a down payment for a withdrawal agreement or future trading agreement. Moreover, if the UK did refuse to pay the £39bn that's hardly going to be conducive to negotiating future trade deals whether with the EU or others. Common basic error spouted by Brexiteers.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:10 - Jan 24 with 2883 viewsGuthrum

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 12:34 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

There does seem to be a degree of convergence. The threat of a postponement of the A50 deadline is concentrating the minds of the harder-line Brexiteers.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:10 - Jan 24 with 2880 viewsFixed_It

All well and good, but he won't track back though.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:13 - Jan 24 with 2863 viewsGuthrum

Why would they not be getting any money, given that it represents commitments we have already made. Are you suggesting the UK harms its international standing by defaulting on payments?

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:14 - Jan 24 with 2848 viewsGuthrum

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:07 - Jan 24 by Weekender

No deal isn't a deal because it means leaving without a deal (withdrawal agreement). Kind of does what is says on the tin.

The EU will have a claim for the £39bn as this is a payment of previous agreements/commitments, not as a down payment for a withdrawal agreement or future trading agreement. Moreover, if the UK did refuse to pay the £39bn that's hardly going to be conducive to negotiating future trade deals whether with the EU or others. Common basic error spouted by Brexiteers.

Sorry, ought to have read your comment before posting mine.

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:16 - Jan 24 with 2837 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:10 - Jan 24 by Guthrum

There does seem to be a degree of convergence. The threat of a postponement of the A50 deadline is concentrating the minds of the harder-line Brexiteers.

Indeed. I've been saying for some time that the threat of no Brexit or a delay to Brexit will bring the likes of Rees Mogg and his mob around to supporting a tweaked May deal.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2019 13:18]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:17 - Jan 24 with 2834 viewsWeekender

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:14 - Jan 24 by Guthrum

Sorry, ought to have read your comment before posting mine.

Not at all my good man.

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:18 - Jan 24 with 2832 viewsBloomBlue

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:07 - Jan 24 by Weekender

But you see..

We signed a deal, article 50, the deal is we're leaving on March 29th, that's the deal.

Now we may leave with some additional agreements but the deal we've signed is we're leaving on March 29th

I would say if the worst case happens and we stay in the EU with all the same terms then that equals a no deal, because a deal on us leaving wasn't agreed.
Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:18 - Jan 24 with 2827 viewsGuthrum

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:16 - Jan 24 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed. I've been saying for some time that the threat of no Brexit or a delay to Brexit will bring the likes of Rees Mogg and his mob around to supporting a tweaked May deal.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2019 13:18]

All depends how much tweaking (tho hopefully not twerking) May can achieve.

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:20 - Jan 24 with 2819 viewsWeekender

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:18 - Jan 24 by BloomBlue

But you see..

We signed a deal, article 50, the deal is we're leaving on March 29th, that's the deal.

Now we may leave with some additional agreements but the deal we've signed is we're leaving on March 29th

I would say if the worst case happens and we stay in the EU with all the same terms then that equals a no deal, because a deal on us leaving wasn't agreed.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense.

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:22 - Jan 24 with 2814 viewsBlueBadger

But you see..

God, I can't wait till then. My workload will reduce by 52% when all the people who voted to have nothing to do with experts stop turning up to clinics, their GPs and A&E.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:23 - Jan 24 with 2806 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:18 - Jan 24 by Guthrum

All depends how much tweaking (tho hopefully not twerking) May can achieve.

I don't think she'll have to tweak it that much. The ERG are seeing their hard Brexit slip away and at least May's deal has an end to FOM for them.

From the other side, the campaign for a second referendum seems to be dying a death with the main protagonists, Umunna and Woolaston admitting that they don't have the numbers and holding a press conference virtually begging Corbyn to support them.

I think that is why May is being single (bloody) minded in her pursuit of getting her deal through. She knows that it's a compromise that both leavers and remainers can take something from.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:32 - Jan 24 with 2755 viewsGuthrum

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:23 - Jan 24 by GlasgowBlue

I don't think she'll have to tweak it that much. The ERG are seeing their hard Brexit slip away and at least May's deal has an end to FOM for them.

From the other side, the campaign for a second referendum seems to be dying a death with the main protagonists, Umunna and Woolaston admitting that they don't have the numbers and holding a press conference virtually begging Corbyn to support them.

I think that is why May is being single (bloody) minded in her pursuit of getting her deal through. She knows that it's a compromise that both leavers and remainers can take something from.

The Cooper amendment actually helps the PM, by shortening the deadline to gain some sort of Brexit (i.e. May's deal), before A50 can be tampered with.

The thing which gets me about much of this is the the Withdrawal Agreement is only a two-year transition period during which the actual deal is negotiated. It is not the final situation long term..

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:38 - Jan 24 with 2727 viewsWeekender

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:23 - Jan 24 by GlasgowBlue

I honesty think that had the ERG been offered May's deal at the outset the'd have jumped at it.

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:40 - Jan 24 with 2720 viewsSwansea_Blue

Still right down at the bottom end, and expecting to lose some of the gains made in January if the risk of no deal rises. So I wouldn't get too excited.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sterling hits highest level since November. on 13:42 - Jan 24 with 2708 viewsGuthrum

But you see..

No, the worst case is us re-joining the EU without any of the special exemptions (inc. the Euro) and rebates we have enjoyed up to now.

Article 50 is not a deal. It's a unilateral declaration of intention to leave the EU. The withdrawal agreement is to tidy up the loose ends which are involved in that separation and to prepare the ground for negotiations upon a trade deal with our biggest economic partner.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024