Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another brief kids' football rant 18:57 - Jan 24 with 12514 viewssparks

Ive been coaching player X for 3 years now About 6 months fun mini football. Then guiding him through his first ever proper games, his first goals, becoming a genuinely decent striker for his age, 2 full seasons for the club, and half of this season.

He has spent more time on the pitch than most.

Since the end of last year, I have not had any response from his parents on whatsapp when organising games, and he hasnt appeared at training. Today, after nearly 4 weeks of radio silence, I get an email from the secretary of another club asking me to send them over the player's "FA FAN number" so they can get him registered.

I sent his mum a message earlier asking if there were any reasons- so we could run the club better going forwards, saying he was welcome back anytime, and asking for return of the shirt as other players are currently making do with old style ones.

It was read at 6.15. Ive not had the courtesy of a reply.

There's fecking gratitude for you. Not paid his subs for the year yet either...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:06 - Jan 24 with 6907 viewsBluefish

I find the whole thing about going after good players as kids as despicable whether it is local or park football. I've run a team for years and when some choose to seek a higher team I wish them well and tell them they would be welcome back if it doesn't work out. I have never tried to sign a kid from elsewhere and I don't say no to kids if I have a space in the squad regardless of how good they are. They are children and they all develop at different times, let them play and let them enjoy themselves.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:09 - Jan 24 with 6892 viewsbontcho

Naive question, could you hold back the number until the money and kit owed to you are returned?

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:11 - Jan 24 with 6886 viewssparks

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:06 - Jan 24 by Bluefish

I find the whole thing about going after good players as kids as despicable whether it is local or park football. I've run a team for years and when some choose to seek a higher team I wish them well and tell them they would be welcome back if it doesn't work out. I have never tried to sign a kid from elsewhere and I don't say no to kids if I have a space in the squad regardless of how good they are. They are children and they all develop at different times, let them play and let them enjoy themselves.

I agree. Disappointing for me to lose a good play- especially as we are playing the other team in the cup in 3 weeks time and I fancied our chances.

But I dont think the other club poached him here. I think the parents made a decision and had got the decency to even mention it after 3 years and countless hours I have put in trying to help their lad enjoy playing football.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:12 - Jan 24 with 6878 viewssparks

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:09 - Jan 24 by bontcho

Naive question, could you hold back the number until the money and kit owed to you are returned?

They can look up the number. I could probably ask the league to refuse registration pending payment but its not worth the grief.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2019 19:14]

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:15 - Jan 24 with 6859 viewsBluefish

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:11 - Jan 24 by sparks

I agree. Disappointing for me to lose a good play- especially as we are playing the other team in the cup in 3 weeks time and I fancied our chances.

But I dont think the other club poached him here. I think the parents made a decision and had got the decency to even mention it after 3 years and countless hours I have put in trying to help their lad enjoy playing football.

It isn't something to get angry over though, give another kid a chance and teach them the beautiful game. There are some absolute dickheads in kids football, I used to get angry about it but now I just focus on my team and my players having the best time they can

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:18 - Jan 24 with 6857 viewssparks

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:15 - Jan 24 by Bluefish

It isn't something to get angry over though, give another kid a chance and teach them the beautiful game. There are some absolute dickheads in kids football, I used to get angry about it but now I just focus on my team and my players having the best time they can

Just ignorant parents frankly. Unfortunately, the FA's petty, bureaucratic, blinkered, self agrandising,sanctimonious nonsense has already soured my involvement sufficiently that I have had about enough.

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:20 - Jan 24 with 6844 viewsBluefish

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:18 - Jan 24 by sparks

Just ignorant parents frankly. Unfortunately, the FA's petty, bureaucratic, blinkered, self agrandising,sanctimonious nonsense has already soured my involvement sufficiently that I have had about enough.

As I said just stop being angry and focus on kids enjoying football. What is there not to love about that?

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:20 - Jan 24 with 6850 viewsPlums

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:11 - Jan 24 by sparks

I have always said a kid will never put him or herself in the car and go to another club. It’s the parents. I have had a few kids leave over the years. Some have come back, sadly most have left the game because of their negative experiences elsewhere.
The lack of courtesy you describe is just a reflection of today’s society.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2019 19:21]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Login to get fewer ads

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:23 - Jan 24 with 6842 viewssparks

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:20 - Jan 24 by Plums

I have always said a kid will never put him or herself in the car and go to another club. It’s the parents. I have had a few kids leave over the years. Some have come back, sadly most have left the game because of their negative experiences elsewhere.
The lack of courtesy you describe is just a reflection of today’s society.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2019 19:21]

Probably true. X's Dad is the only one on the touchline I've had concerns about. I suspect by the time he's 13 he will have had enough of the pressure Dad puts on him.

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:23 - Jan 24 with 6843 viewshenley07

I hate seeing this, unfortunately it seems to be getting more common..
So I'm guessing you must only be talking u10 age group?
There is an u11 side,let's say in the Newmarket area who are terrible for this kind of thing.
Another brief kids' football rant on 19:25 - Jan 24 with 6837 viewssparks

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:23 - Jan 24 by henley07

There is an u11 side,let's say in the Newmarket area who are terrible for this kind of thing.

Year younger than that. I dont think its the club- they were surprised when I expressed surprise. They assumed I knew. They are not one of the local clubs who try to hoover up all the strong players.

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:32 - Jan 24 with 6804 viewshenley07

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:25 - Jan 24 by sparks

Year younger than that. I dont think its the club- they were surprised when I expressed surprise. They assumed I knew. They are not one of the local clubs who try to hoover up all the strong players.

Just hope you stick with it mate,for every bad parent there will be 10 good ones.
Don't know what area your in but don't suppose you or anyone knows anything of Ipswich Valley Rangers u12?
I've heard good things about them and look forward to our Suffolk cup match over there next week.
We play in the Cambs league so we're going in blind again this round!
Another brief kids' football rant on 19:33 - Jan 24 with 6807 viewssparks

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:25 - Jan 24 by sparks

Had a reply from Mum...

Apparently hes not progressing because I dont do "drills" in training and because in the last game they played, I took their lad and another off (to give others vaguely even time) and we lost. She suggests having a first team and development side.

In fact we drew and her boy still played more than most. And we have already implemented a development side (against FA dictats) which only became a thing in the last 2 or 3 months when we had 3 or 4 new players and the numbers got too big on matchdays...

As for the drills thing- Im not even sure what she means. I do various exercises in training. I don't favour fixed drills over small sided exercises, trying to create game situations etc but we do do both.

Had enough tbh.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2019 19:35]

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:51 - Jan 24 with 6747 viewsgiant_stow

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:33 - Jan 24 by sparks

Had a reply from Mum...

Apparently hes not progressing because I dont do "drills" in training and because in the last game they played, I took their lad and another off (to give others vaguely even time) and we lost. She suggests having a first team and development side.

In fact we drew and her boy still played more than most. And we have already implemented a development side (against FA dictats) which only became a thing in the last 2 or 3 months when we had 3 or 4 new players and the numbers got too big on matchdays...

As for the drills thing- Im not even sure what she means. I do various exercises in training. I don't favour fixed drills over small sided exercises, trying to create game situations etc but we do do both.

Had enough tbh.

People can be proper sh1ts. Feel for you Mr, but there must be other kids you've helped and developed whose parents appreciate it. Coming from someone who does no volunteering currently, I take my hat off to you and others like you.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:52 - Jan 24 with 6750 viewsfabian_illness

Kids football is a strange thing.
Without chaps like you it wouldn't work, the amount of effort you guys put in is immense.
Dont jack it in, think of all the kids that look forward to your sessions and guidance.

When I was playing youth football, it was unusual to see any parents at games, nowadays you get made to feel bad if you miss a match for any reason. I think the parents cause more hassle than the kids.
Another brief kids' football rant on 19:55 - Jan 24 with 6735 viewsGlasgowBlue

Had a reply from Mum...

Had enough tbh.

Don't take it personally. This happens all of the time.

Myself and two other blokes ran a first team and development team of boys from the age of seven until the age of 16.

Along the way they progressed from seven a side to eleven a side and we won promotion to the A League when they were 13.

The final three years were hard work and the final year an absolute nightmare.

Firstly, other teams came preaching our better players. Approaches are usually made at school by their mates who play for other teams. Always pitching that the grass is greener.

Then the final two years it was a case of three or four boys not turning up for training (Tue and Thu) but expecting to walk into the starting eleven because they were the better players.

Then the drinking and staying out until 4am on match day started creeping in when they hit 15.

We had one lad who was a real talent. A really likeable kid but an absolute nightmare to manage. We made a point of picking him up from his house on the morning of a game. Mist times his parents were still in bed after they'd been drinking and the kid never had a breakfast or a drink for the match. We didn't tell the other kids but as coaches we paid his subs as his parents could not care less.

Eventually he drifted out of football. And like you we couldn't get his kit back. We would go around to his house and his parents would say he'd left it at his Grans. You can only chase them up for so long

Other lads who we had since they were seven started telling us to fcuk off if we shouted instructions from the touchline. And fcuk off if we told thenm to put more effort into training.

The team eventually folded as so many of them prefered going out and getting pissed than playing football. We, like you are now, took it personally.

Now these boys are 18 and I see them out and about and they come over and buy me a pint and they start reminiscing about how great those days were. One of my daughter's best friend's is going out with the boy who had the"could care less" parents and she comes home after a night out and says that all he talks about is what a great time we had and how when I took them cross country I fell in a ditch. Loads of great football stories.

So it may be frustrating and you may feel that you are banging your head against a brick wall but actually you are making an impact on kids during their formative years. Even if they or you don't realise igt at the time.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

on 19:59 - Jan 24 with 6720 views_

Had a reply from Mum...

Had enough tbh.

Another brief kids' football rant on 20:00 - Jan 24 with 6723 viewsBLUEBEAT

Another brief kids' football rant on 19:23 - Jan 24 by henley07

Isleham by any chance?

😄

Kids football is often nastier than adult football.

Poll: W or W

Another brief kids' football rant on 20:05 - Jan 24 with 6705 viewssparks

on 19:59 - Jan 24 by _

Had they actually talked to me rather than just not turning up or replying to messages, and then waiting for the new club to contact me, I'd be a good deal less irritated.

The fecking time and hassle that goes into it all- even aside from the actual football. And people can't even show that basic courtesy.

on 20:09 - Jan 24 with 6691 views_

Another brief kids' football rant on 20:05 - Jan 24 by sparks

Had they actually talked to me rather than just not turning up or replying to messages, and then waiting for the new club to contact me, I'd be a good deal less irritated.

The fecking time and hassle that goes into it all- even aside from the actual football. And people can't even show that basic courtesy.

Another brief kids' football rant on 21:15 - Jan 24 with 6533 viewshenley07

Another brief kids' football rant on 20:00 - Jan 24 by BLUEBEAT

Isleham by any chance?

😄

Kids football is often nastier than adult football.

Aha,how did you guess?!
The u11 side are the Cambs league version of the Harlem Globetrotters grabbing kids from all over the place.
Them kids will get fed up with it,Cambridge one night,Norwich another then travel from all over to Isleham on a Saturday.
You only have to look at how there u12s have been very ordinary this season.
Another brief kids' football rant on 21:33 - Jan 24 with 6482 viewsSuffolktractor

Another brief kids' football rant on 20:05 - Jan 24 by sparks

Don’t give up, it’s thanks to people like you that boys whether talented or not have the chance to play this great game, run about keeping fit and making friends for life.
There will always be a few arrogant parents that think their little Ronaldo is better than all the others, but to be honest your team is better off without them.
Another brief kids' football rant on 21:53 - Jan 24 with 6420 viewsBLUEBEAT

Another brief kids' football rant on 21:15 - Jan 24 by henley07

Aha,how did you guess?!
The u11 side are the Cambs league version of the Harlem Globetrotters grabbing kids from all over the place.
Them kids will get fed up with it,Cambridge one night,Norwich another then travel from all over to Isleham on a Saturday.
You only have to look at how there u12s have been very ordinary this season.

My lad is in the same U11 league.

Cherry Hinton have been doing it too.

Takes a lot of the fun out of it. Though it’s about being competitive blah blah blah.

Poll: W or W

Another brief kids' football rant on 22:43 - Jan 24 with 6327 viewsPlums

Another brief kids' football rant on 21:53 - Jan 24 by BLUEBEAT

Takes a lot of the fun out of it. Though it’s about being competitive blah blah blah.

In my experience, those types of teams fold quite quickly. I’m chair of a large junior club and we have a ‘no trials’ and ‘no scouting’ policy. If you’re after trophies above having fun with your mates and player development, we’re not the club for you.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Another brief kids' football rant on 03:02 - Jan 25 with 6119 viewshenley07

Another brief kids' football rant on 21:53 - Jan 24 by BLUEBEAT

To be fair they do have a good attacking side,but not so clever defensively.
We play them quite often in friendlies,I'm trying to second guess your team?!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024