Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Those turning on Lambert 22:49 - Jan 26 with 11135 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Seeing a lot of comments now about him being no better etc and beginning to round on him. Just stop. The guy is passionate and gets it. He has the pedegree to be brilliant for us. He knows what it takes and crucially i do feel he wants to build something. Results haven't been kind or on occassion matched the performance but honestly it was never going to be easy and maybe it wasn't even possible to quick fix us. I'm not that interested in the quick fix now, its gone. I'm more interested in him beeing capable of uniting the fanbase and starting something great from next season. Get behind him, it will be worth it!

The reality is this. We are going to be in league 1 next season. We are not going to be shopping in the market of top managers if we lose him. I still feel he is a top manager. The chances of us getting better are less than our survival hopes and would probably require another punt in the dark like Hurst. No thanks!!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Those turning on Lambert on 23:05 - Jan 26 with 6373 viewsChampionship

It really saddens me that a minority (but significant chunk) of our fan base seem to be loving the misery. The sooner they can predict doom the better. 15:06 and someone posted it was game over. There are plenty of attacks on anyone who dared predict a positive result before the game. Some people seem to be really getting off on the predictions of doom. I just don't get it.
Those turning on Lambert on 23:21 - Jan 26 with 6305 viewsRyorry

To me his passion and attitude are just the fundamentals we need - you can't push off from the bottom without having a solid base, and he clearly understands ITFC, its history, fans, structure, economics and youth system - I think actually that he'll eventually prove to be more than a manager, perhaps that DoF so many people have wanted.

Football these days strikes me as a bit like speed dating where managers are concerned! and I reckon good clubs/managers aren't often lucky enough to come across such "good fits" as himself and us. We should treasure him, he's more about the long term than having some magic wand with which to fish us out of the relegation struggle that he inherited.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Those turning on Lambert on 23:38 - Jan 26 with 6254 viewsBlueNode

To be honest, I don't know whether these posts are so serious, but are more likely a reflection of the situation we find ourselves in.

Normally a manager change is to try and force a change in idea's and tactics, and to try to get something more from the squad, which the predecessor failed to do.

Hurst abjectly failed in his assessment of the championship and the players he felt could make the grade here. Thus making our squad under competitive at this level.

Lambert has also failed to get the squad competitive, and this is worrying as you would have hoped a manager of his pedigree, could motivate and coach them better than Hurst, given his credentials. His January signings also have yet to hit the spot as well.

The hopes of many have been dashed, and our form remains dismal. The local media promised Great Escape, a la Paul Newman, is looking unlikely. People are disappointed.

Another manager swap will achieve zero, so we have to knuckle down and see where fate takes us, but saying this is easier than accepting it.

Lambert is here to stay and this is how it should be.

(And this is from someone who wasn't overly impressed he came here in the first place.)
[Post edited 26 Jan 2019 23:41]

Synapse central - No, I have not got a cold!
Poll: Is it time now for a protest regarding Evans lack of investment in the Club?

Those turning on Lambert on 00:10 - Jan 27 with 6165 viewspatrickswell

Those turning on Lambert on 23:05 - Jan 26 by Championship

It really saddens me that a minority (but significant chunk) of our fan base seem to be loving the misery. The sooner they can predict doom the better. 15:06 and someone posted it was game over. There are plenty of attacks on anyone who dared predict a positive result before the game. Some people seem to be really getting off on the predictions of doom. I just don't get it.

I don’t think people have been loving the misery so much as becoming very disillusioned that things are never going to turn around for us. Lambert has come in with a lot of positivity and good PR but the losing mentality appears ingrained and that is getting everyone down. People go on about “jam tomorrow” but we’re always promised better times to come and they don’t materialise. With a handful more draws, we’d still have a chance of getting out of trouble, but all Lambert has led us to so far is defeat after defeat after defeat...but somehow this is acceptable because he “gets it”.
Those turning on Lambert on 00:27 - Jan 27 with 6122 viewswarkthisway

Those turning on Lambert on 23:21 - Jan 26 by Ryorry

To me his passion and attitude are just the fundamentals we need - you can't push off from the bottom without having a solid base, and he clearly understands ITFC, its history, fans, structure, economics and youth system - I think actually that he'll eventually prove to be more than a manager, perhaps that DoF so many people have wanted.

Football these days strikes me as a bit like speed dating where managers are concerned! and I reckon good clubs/managers aren't often lucky enough to come across such "good fits" as himself and us. We should treasure him, he's more about the long term than having some magic wand with which to fish us out of the relegation struggle that he inherited.

Warnock would have saved us

bentnkuqi

Those turning on Lambert on 01:06 - Jan 27 with 6082 viewsParamedic

Those turning on Lambert on 00:27 - Jan 27 by warkthisway

Warnock would have saved us

You jest of course?

AllalallalSunderland

Those turning on Lambert on 02:14 - Jan 27 with 6034 viewsbraveblue

Maybe everyone is just cheesed off with the situation and also the results. We thought we would get at least one significant signing to help. But no. Two of the signings were dropped yesterday. Three defensive midfielders doesn’t help.
Those turning on Lambert on 03:47 - Jan 27 with 5986 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s called facing reality. A coping mechanism. Nowt wrong with that

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Those turning on Lambert on 03:49 - Jan 27 with 5985 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Those turning on Lambert on 23:21 - Jan 26 by Ryorry

Why is it automatically accepted he’s building for the long term? The business done since he’s been here certainly isn’t - 3 loans (after slamming previous regimes for relying on loan players) and free transfer signings who are largely unlikely to be here longer than six months

All from a man that hasn’t lasted more than a season in any of his last 3 jobs. I would suggest the reason he’ll probably stay if we go down will be as much for his own reputation as ours - as he’s currently a manager that has won 5 of his last 35 league games, across 3 different clubs

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Those turning on Lambert on 06:23 - Jan 27 with 5920 viewsBenters2

I don’t think anybody is enjoying the fact that sadly we are rubbish,most have accepted we are going down though,unless of course a bloody miracle happens and we go on that magical run of winning 3 games on the bounce,and those 3 teams above us pick up no points what so ever!

Whoever posted at 15.06 wasn’t really far out was he?
Those turning on Lambert on 07:04 - Jan 27 with 5874 viewsTractorWood

Surely 'getting it' as a football manager means getting results?

He's a PR dream, he's had coffee with the legends, met blue action, written open letters and paid for away travel. This is lovely and does demonstrate a man passionate about the club.

However, to me, having watched about 7 games of his reign, I've honestly not seen any improvement from Hurst in terms of performances or results. Preston at home was when I knew we were down. We had a new manager, they had 10 men, their midfielder in goal with 20 minutes left and we nearly lost.

Yesterday we were playing one of the best midfields in the league and we started with Cole Skuse who will turn 33 in March, a potentially gifted but at present, largely pedestrian Flynn Downes and a functional Chalobah who I rate highly but is very much learning his trade as his only senior appearances have been with us on loan. There was no scenario in which we win that game with effectively 3 of the same player (with some smaller nuances).

It does feel like some are starting to be sceptical but I've been saying the above as my opinion since his first few games. Those who are entirely positive about Lambert usually have a very nice sounding rhetoric but it's usually emotional appreciation as oppose to any evidence (say a performance, or a tactical change or a brand of football) for a prolonged and successful reign. As a club and fanbase people seem to appreciate his demeanor and respect for the club. I do think his face fits well but in reality whether he's a success or failure will be on his league one campaign.

Taking umbrage with Hurst in the immediate aftermath of his departure was easy but having had our first window with Lambert it's clear that he's going to take the MM approach to transfer dealings with experience and bringing players in from the wilderness. To me at least Hurst had a clear strategy of buying lower league players with the long term ambition that they could be bought cheaply and brought up together as a unit. It's naïve and was doomed to failure because of his personality and total lack of rigour on the signings.

Under our current financial model and core of players, I see us being no better than midtable in league one.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 7:06]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Those turning on Lambert on 07:25 - Jan 27 with 5823 viewschristiand

I wouldn’t say posters are rejoicing soon as we go behind, it’s the reality of our situation. Invariably, soon as we concede the first goal, we lose it’s that simple. PL needs to be successful here to start rebuilding his own managerial reputation. He’s done plenty of good things off the pitch since his arrival and I still think he is the right man going forwards. Unfortunately, he won’t be proving his managerial crendentials in The Championship, we simple aren’t good enough to seriously compete (5 defeats in our last 6 league games, 6 in 7 in all competitions), but League One gives him that opportunity to rebuild something exciting. If I was him, I’d look to try and get Ian Culverhouse to join his coaching staff over the summer, they seem to be better together than apart.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Those turning on Lambert on 07:59 - Jan 27 with 5758 viewstractorboy1978

Those turning on Lambert on 07:04 - Jan 27 by TractorWood

He's a PR dream, he's had coffee with the legends, met blue action, written open letters and paid for away travel. This is lovely and does demonstrate a man passionate about the club.

However, to me, having watched about 7 games of his reign, I've honestly not seen any improvement from Hurst in terms of performances or results. Preston at home was when I knew we were down. We had a new manager, they had 10 men, their midfielder in goal with 20 minutes left and we nearly lost.

Yesterday we were playing one of the best midfields in the league and we started with Cole Skuse who will turn 33 in March, a potentially gifted but at present, largely pedestrian Flynn Downes and a functional Chalobah who I rate highly but is very much learning his trade as his only senior appearances have been with us on loan. There was no scenario in which we win that game with effectively 3 of the same player (with some smaller nuances).

It does feel like some are starting to be sceptical but I've been saying the above as my opinion since his first few games. Those who are entirely positive about Lambert usually have a very nice sounding rhetoric but it's usually emotional appreciation as oppose to any evidence (say a performance, or a tactical change or a brand of football) for a prolonged and successful reign. As a club and fanbase people seem to appreciate his demeanor and respect for the club. I do think his face fits well but in reality whether he's a success or failure will be on his league one campaign.

Taking umbrage with Hurst in the immediate aftermath of his departure was easy but having had our first window with Lambert it's clear that he's going to take the MM approach to transfer dealings with experience and bringing players in from the wilderness. To me at least Hurst had a clear strategy of buying lower league players with the long term ambition that they could be bought cheaply and brought up together as a unit. It's naïve and was doomed to failure because of his personality and total lack of rigour on the signings.

Under our current financial model and core of players, I see us being no better than midtable in league one.

What's the alternative next season? Russell Slade? Karl Robinson?
Those turning on Lambert on 08:15 - Jan 27 with 5707 viewspennblue

Those turning on Lambert on 07:59 - Jan 27 by tractorboy1978

What's the alternative next season? Russell Slade? Karl Robinson?

We need to hit rock bottom before we can start rebuilding

The question really is whether league one is our bottom or league two

Next season wil tell us that

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Those turning on Lambert on 08:30 - Jan 27 with 5648 viewsTractorWood

Those turning on Lambert on 08:15 - Jan 27 by pennblue

We need to hit rock bottom before we can start rebuilding

The question really is whether league one is our bottom or league two

Next season wil tell us that

Indeed. We are finding our standard which is very obviously not the championship, hence my gut feeling of mid table in league one.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Those turning on Lambert on 09:02 - Jan 27 with 5544 viewsphillev231069

As regards his transfer dealings I don’t think this window is the one to judge him on. Going on our current position and where we will most likely be next season who the hell would come here when there are better options out there? All we were going to get would be wilderness players or ones that are trying to get back to where they were like Judge! Lambert has been very good with the PR spin and has used it to his advantage and it may well be a ploy to keep fans onside but only he knows that. Hurst and co did massive damage to this club probably more than Keane! it seemed we had a squad of players who were being given lots of fitness training and nothing else and for someone to come in and turn it round in the timescale we have may be too much to ask. I’m giving Lambert the benefit of the doubt and next season to get us back up I think the time to get into the Lambert out scenario should be next season if we’re still not winning.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 9:05]
Those turning on Lambert on 09:06 - Jan 27 with 5519 viewsArnieM

Those turning on Lambert on 03:49 - Jan 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Why is it automatically accepted he’s building for the long term? The business done since he’s been here certainly isn’t - 3 loans (after slamming previous regimes for relying on loan players) and free transfer signings who are largely unlikely to be here longer than six months

All from a man that hasn’t lasted more than a season in any of his last 3 jobs. I would suggest the reason he’ll probably stay if we go down will be as much for his own reputation as ours - as he’s currently a manager that has won 5 of his last 35 league games, across 3 different clubs

If you recall PL said he had to do a “temporary repair job initially” , but was looking to rebuild the Club from the bottom up. That the infrastructure was wrong and loans ( going forward) was “not sustainable and was madness”.The future , he says , is with our own players and significantly via “our youngsters”.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Those turning on Lambert on 09:07 - Jan 27 with 5520 viewsgt81

That was me, and you can stop projecting how you think I feel about the situation onto me, or anyone else.

There is no joy, or "getting off" about where we are at right now, all that is left is to accept reality and go from there.
Those turning on Lambert on 09:11 - Jan 27 with 5507 viewsOxford_Blue

It’s depressing and embarrassing.

He inherited a total mess.

Hasn’t been able to build a team. Only to bring in some loan players in the window.

And yet our numbskull element expect us to start playing like a mid table side.

How do these people function in real life?
Those turning on Lambert on 09:15 - Jan 27 with 5482 viewsSouperJim

Congrats, I don't think I've ever seen a post on here wider of the mark than yours.

He's been here two months and is trying to do a sticking plasters job with the complete mess he inherited. What are you actually advocating, that he should have started building for the long term from the off, when there was still half a season to try and save us from relegation? Ridiculous.

You call it PR, I call it doing what needs to be done to start to fix a very broken football club where the relationship with the fanbase has been almost totally destroyed by ME.

For all the bleating I've read, nobody could have done any better than PL has since he walked in the door. We are deep deep in the poo and there is no magic wand. Trying to suggest a different manager would have been able to make a silk purse and magically pick up results with a better tactical approach is nonsense.

Baring a minor miracle we are down, but everything I've seen so far tells me there is nothing more a manager could do to prevent it. Lambert is making the absolute best of the hand he is dealt and I have every confidence that he is the best man to bring us back up again.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Those turning on Lambert on 09:20 - Jan 27 with 5452 viewsSouperJim

Those turning on Lambert on 09:06 - Jan 27 by ArnieM

If you recall PL said he had to do a “temporary repair job initially” , but was looking to rebuild the Club from the bottom up. That the infrastructure was wrong and loans ( going forward) was “not sustainable and was madness”.The future , he says , is with our own players and significantly via “our youngsters”.

Those who need someone to blame aren't going to listen to anything Lambert says, unless he can deliver the moon on a stick, some unnamed messiah would be doing better.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Those turning on Lambert on 09:24 - Jan 27 with 5422 viewsphillev231069

Those turning on Lambert on 09:15 - Jan 27 by SouperJim

Congrats, I don't think I've ever seen a post on here wider of the mark than yours.

He's been here two months and is trying to do a sticking plasters job with the complete mess he inherited. What are you actually advocating, that he should have started building for the long term from the off, when there was still half a season to try and save us from relegation? Ridiculous.

You call it PR, I call it doing what needs to be done to start to fix a very broken football club where the relationship with the fanbase has been almost totally destroyed by ME.

For all the bleating I've read, nobody could have done any better than PL has since he walked in the door. We are deep deep in the poo and there is no magic wand. Trying to suggest a different manager would have been able to make a silk purse and magically pick up results with a better tactical approach is nonsense.

Baring a minor miracle we are down, but everything I've seen so far tells me there is nothing more a manager could do to prevent it. Lambert is making the absolute best of the hand he is dealt and I have every confidence that he is the best man to bring us back up again.

Agree with that, some people are totally delusional and I’m sure expected us to be fighting for a playoff place! Blame Hurst and that horrible priick Doig for our current plight, personally I’m bitter and hope they never work in football again!
Those turning on Lambert on 09:33 - Jan 27 with 5375 viewsRegencyBlue

It’s taken 11 years of Evans ownership to bring us to where we are today and there is no quick fix for that, whoever the manager is! The club has been weakened year on year and relegation was inevitable unfortunately.

Like you I think Lambert is the best we could hope for in the circumstances and let’s be honest this season was lost by the time he was appointed anyway. The time to judge him will be next season but it’s not going to be the walk in the park many on here seem to expect.
Those turning on Lambert on 10:57 - Jan 27 with 5263 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Those turning on Lambert on 09:15 - Jan 27 by SouperJim

That’s it though - either he’s building for the long term in which case this windows transfer policy makes no sense, or alternatively the job since he’s been here has been to keep us in the division, in which case he’s currently failing

“Lambert is making the absolute best of the hand he is dealt”. What an absolutely ridiculous statement

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Those turning on Lambert on 11:11 - Jan 27 with 5221 viewsNo9

Those turning on Lambert on 10:57 - Jan 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That’s it though - either he’s building for the long term in which case this windows transfer policy makes no sense, or alternatively the job since he’s been here has been to keep us in the division, in which case he’s currently failing

“Lambert is making the absolute best of the hand he is dealt”. What an absolutely ridiculous statement

ITFC has been in decline for a long while.
Patches on the puncture are no solution to a perished inner tube.
While there has been a lot of wrath shown to Mr E it was the responsibility of his team management to tell him how bad things were, that never happened. We heard how good the squad was urrespective of results when the reality was Town were beaten by almost any well drilled team, the home results are a case in point.

To change that will not happen overnight, it has been accepted that P Hurst identified the problems but didn't have a solution. PL is more experienced and has a mountain to climb but is not chucking his hand in - we have to hope it works don't we?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024