Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is truly shocking 11:38 - Jan 27 with 5910 viewsStokieBlue

It's not point on antisemitism, more a point on the proudly inadequate education of the general populace.

"One in 20 British adults do not believe the Holocaust happened, and 8% say that the scale of the genocide has been exaggerated"

"That poll found that one in three people knew little or nothing about the Holocaust, and an average of 5% said they had never heard of it. In France, 20% of those aged 18-34 said they had never heard of the Holocaust; in Austria, the figure was 12%."

That second quote is truly shocking, how on earth can 20% of French people know nothing of the holocaust?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/27/one-in-20-britons-does-not-believe

Perhaps this is one of the reasons that the world is the way it is at the moment. Poor education leading to fake news being accepted or totally ill-informed opinions being stated as fact.

It's massively depressing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is truly shocking on 11:47 - Jan 27 with 4357 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's not that shocking, people believe what they want to believe - and few care about suffering in other countries. How many people in this country know or care about the holodomor which killed far more people far more quickly than the holocaust? Or how many millions were killed in Russia whilst they were our allies? Or indeed that the British contributed greatly to the holocaust by closing off immigration to British Palestine.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

This is truly shocking on 12:17 - Jan 27 with 4288 viewsStokieBlue

This is truly shocking on 11:47 - Jan 27 by ElephantintheRoom

It's not that shocking, people believe what they want to believe - and few care about suffering in other countries. How many people in this country know or care about the holodomor which killed far more people far more quickly than the holocaust? Or how many millions were killed in Russia whilst they were our allies? Or indeed that the British contributed greatly to the holocaust by closing off immigration to British Palestine.

That's not what the article is saying though, it's not saying they don't care, it's saying they don't even know about it. Totally different things.

SB

This is truly shocking on 12:22 - Jan 27 with 4269 viewsElephantintheRoom

This is truly shocking on 12:17 - Jan 27 by StokieBlue

That's not what the article is saying though, it's not saying they don't care, it's saying they don't even know about it. Totally different things.

SB

Not at all. People believe what they want to believe. Some people even believe in Brexit

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

This is truly shocking on 13:37 - Jan 27 with 4201 viewsFtnfwest

The French figure is indeed shocking as their government perpetrated it at the time as well
This is truly shocking on 13:39 - Jan 27 with 4203 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Don't go overboard based on a single poll.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This is truly shocking on 13:52 - Jan 27 with 4166 viewsStokieBlue

This is truly shocking on 13:39 - Jan 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's not like a political opinion poll, it's not opinion based, you either have been taught it or you haven't.

Surely 1% is too high? Everyone studies WW2 at some point of school, I fail to understand how you can make it through that topic without teaching about this subject.

SB

This is truly shocking on 14:02 - Jan 27 with 4144 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is truly shocking on 13:52 - Jan 27 by StokieBlue

It's not like a political opinion poll, it's not opinion based, you either have been taught it or you haven't.

Surely 1% is too high? Everyone studies WW2 at some point of school, I fail to understand how you can make it through that topic without teaching about this subject.

SB

It depends who they ask.

To be fair, I didn't study WW2. I dropped history in Year 10.

Although I do know about the Holocaust obviously.

It was obviously horrific, but so are many many other genocides that you could probably tell me nothing about.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This is truly shocking on 14:23 - Jan 27 with 4119 viewsMullet

I'd suggest some revise their beliefs in adult life, thanks to the internet quacks and conspiracy nuts.

Certainly that seems to have some evidence in America for example and Northern Europe amongst the neo-Nazis.

Would be keen to know their methodology and sampling to get behind the headline. Very rarely in lessons have kids come in with some sort of denial or downplaying of the facts. But also, the fact it's hard to verify the true extent doesn't help.

Had an interesting debate on a RE teacher's forum about how we educate people, for me it needs to be across different subjects using stories, facts and critical thinking to allow people to piece it together.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

This is truly shocking on 14:26 - Jan 27 with 4099 viewseireblue

I am not sure how SB's post is an example of going overboard.

And it isn't just one opinion poll, but maybe it is an example of why this sort of thing exists.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/uk-jewish-antisemitism-rise-yougov

There are other polls that show attitudes that are undesirable.

Would there have been less anti-semitism with better education?

Will there be less anti-semitism in the future if there is better education now.

I sometimes wonder if opinions vary on genocides?

It may be interesting to see if people don't believe that over half a million Tutsi people were killed and see if Tutsi people exaggerated stuff, and if the Tutsi people were somehow to blame.

You could reword the the above about the Khmer Rouge regime as well.

I would wonder if people would have a different opinions based on knowledge and bias.

What is the opposite of going overboard? I wonder if that is a thing to be concerned about.
This is truly shocking on 14:36 - Jan 27 with 4078 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is truly shocking on 14:26 - Jan 27 by eireblue

I am not sure how SB's post is an example of going overboard.

And it isn't just one opinion poll, but maybe it is an example of why this sort of thing exists.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/uk-jewish-antisemitism-rise-yougov

There are other polls that show attitudes that are undesirable.

Would there have been less anti-semitism with better education?

Will there be less anti-semitism in the future if there is better education now.

I sometimes wonder if opinions vary on genocides?

It may be interesting to see if people don't believe that over half a million Tutsi people were killed and see if Tutsi people exaggerated stuff, and if the Tutsi people were somehow to blame.

You could reword the the above about the Khmer Rouge regime as well.

I would wonder if people would have a different opinions based on knowledge and bias.

What is the opposite of going overboard? I wonder if that is a thing to be concerned about.

It's an interesting question.

I also find it a bit of a contradiction that ultra orthodox Jews isolate themselves as a community and discourage mixing with outsiders.

Clearly that's a rare example, but I wonder if that leads to some peoples views.

This is truly shocking on 14:59 - Jan 27 with 4041 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I don't get it. My experiences have always seen it very clearly and prominently taught. Clearly there are parts of our country where that is not the case and the fact it is enabled is disgraceful.

In my view, holocaust denial is on a par with belief in a flat Earth. There must be a similar level of clear incontrovertible proof. I wonder what the levels of flat-Earth belief are.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This is truly shocking on 15:04 - Jan 27 with 4019 viewsStokieBlue

This is truly shocking on 14:23 - Jan 27 by Mullet

I'd suggest some revise their beliefs in adult life, thanks to the internet quacks and conspiracy nuts.

Certainly that seems to have some evidence in America for example and Northern Europe amongst the neo-Nazis.

Would be keen to know their methodology and sampling to get behind the headline. Very rarely in lessons have kids come in with some sort of denial or downplaying of the facts. But also, the fact it's hard to verify the true extent doesn't help.

Had an interesting debate on a RE teacher's forum about how we educate people, for me it needs to be across different subjects using stories, facts and critical thinking to allow people to piece it together.

i definitely like the last line of your post - critical thinking is a vital skill which would serve many people well in life. It's something that often gets lost along the way unfortunately.

SB

This is truly shocking on 15:17 - Jan 27 with 3997 viewseireblue

This is truly shocking on 14:36 - Jan 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's an interesting question.

I also find it a bit of a contradiction that ultra orthodox Jews isolate themselves as a community and discourage mixing with outsiders.

Clearly that's a rare example, but I wonder if that leads to some peoples views.

I have observed a grouping of people that have similar taste in clothing style, tattoos, logos and hairstyles.

And ultra orthodox white supremacists aren't known for their all embracing approach to the wider community.

I wonder if it would be okay to use that grouping in a discussion about attitudes and knowledge of English people and history?
This is truly shocking on 15:27 - Jan 27 with 3983 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is truly shocking on 15:17 - Jan 27 by eireblue

I have observed a grouping of people that have similar taste in clothing style, tattoos, logos and hairstyles.

And ultra orthodox white supremacists aren't known for their all embracing approach to the wider community.

I wonder if it would be okay to use that grouping in a discussion about attitudes and knowledge of English people and history?

Careful, comparing orthodox Jews to right wing groups.

But you're right, neither should isolate themselves from others and reject the views of others.

This is truly shocking on 15:29 - Jan 27 with 3981 viewsjaykay

i agree with you it staggering they know nothing about it. i also think some of those who do know a little about it, don't know it wasn't just jews who died in the the death camps.
millions of gays, cripples.the insane and gypsies were sent to their deaths as well.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

This is truly shocking on 15:31 - Jan 27 with 3975 viewseireblue

This is truly shocking on 15:27 - Jan 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Careful, comparing orthodox Jews to right wing groups.

But you're right, neither should isolate themselves from others and reject the views of others.

So Nuns and Monks should not live in isolation?

And should they be brought into a discussion about attitudes to Christians and Buddhists?
This is truly shocking on 15:33 - Jan 27 with 3970 viewsFtnfwest

Especially when it’s not ultra critical of this country
This is truly shocking on 15:34 - Jan 27 with 3966 viewsStokieBlue

This is truly shocking on 15:33 - Jan 27 by Ftnfwest

What on earth does nationality have to do with anything?

Are the results irrelevant because "just" 5% of people in this country have never heard of the holocaust so we are doing well?

What a strange post.

SB
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 15:35]

This is truly shocking on 15:40 - Jan 27 with 3953 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is truly shocking on 15:31 - Jan 27 by eireblue

So Nuns and Monks should not live in isolation?

And should they be brought into a discussion about attitudes to Christians and Buddhists?

Nuns and Monks arent comparable. They make an adult choice, rather than forcing it on their children (if they weren't celibate).

Interesting points though.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 15:41]

on 15:50 - Jan 27 with 3920 views_

This is truly shocking on 16:24 - Jan 27 with 3850 viewsFtnfwest

This is truly shocking on 15:34 - Jan 27 by StokieBlue

What on earth does nationality have to do with anything?

Are the results irrelevant because "just" 5% of people in this country have never heard of the holocaust so we are doing well?

What a strange post.

SB
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 15:35]

It shouldn’t, I’m just suggesting a lot of people would be happier agreeing with its findings if it was also a major opportunity to have a go at this country.
This is truly shocking on 16:27 - Jan 27 with 3840 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is truly shocking on 14:23 - Jan 27 by Mullet

You raise a very good point regarding conspiracy theorists who peddle this sh1te on social media.

Just typing "Holohoax" into twitter brings up pages and pages of Holocaust denial and /or revision.

https://twitter.com/search?q=holohoax&src=typd

Here are just a few examples

edited because one example was political and today of all days I don't want this to be misconstrued as trying to play party politics
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 16:35]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is truly shocking on 16:55 - Jan 27 with 3798 viewsBlueBadger

This is truly shocking on 15:33 - Jan 27 by Ftnfwest

It's still pretty depressing that one in twenty apparently thinks the holocaust was a hoax.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 17:04]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This is truly shocking on 16:59 - Jan 27 with 3781 viewsStokieBlue

This is truly shocking on 16:27 - Jan 27 by GlasgowBlue

You raise a very good point regarding conspiracy theorists who peddle this sh1te on social media.

Just typing "Holohoax" into twitter brings up pages and pages of Holocaust denial and /or revision.

https://twitter.com/search?q=holohoax&src=typd

Here are just a few examples

edited because one example was political and today of all days I don't want this to be misconstrued as trying to play party politics
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 16:35]

That's awful but a different subject. Denial and fake news about the holocaust is different to not even knowing it exists.

Education is the answer to both problems.

SB

This is truly shocking on 17:10 - Jan 27 with 3754 viewsNo9

Chris Tarrant has done a series on railways, they are very interesting but last week it was a bit of a shock because it showed the trains that went to the death camps
Worth watching & a very poingant bit about a platfrom in Berlin where people were loaded onto the trains & this is now a memorial to them.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/factual/hitlers-holocaust-railways-with-chris-tar

Watching things like this I do have to wonder how it is people don't know what happened when you watch how much effort went into this operation it shows the determination from an entirely different angle so it is more hard hitting
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024