Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electrical experts - help needed 12:32 - Jan 28 with 6719 viewsGlasgowBlue

Can I plug a sonos speaker into an electric razor socket in a bathroom using a european two pin plug?

I have searched the internet and get different opinions.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 12:33]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:34 - Jan 28 with 6699 viewsDeano69

Can you, or should you?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:35 - Jan 28 with 6692 viewschicoazul

Yes, but you need to pour water on it the first time you plug it in to treat it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:36 - Jan 28 with 6687 viewsSouperJim

Shaver sockets are 110v, where as the mains is 240v. It might work, depends on what said speaker wants. Is this just for charging?

An american one would certainly work (as they use 110v for everything).

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:39 - Jan 28 with 6672 viewsGlasgowBlue

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:36 - Jan 28 by SouperJim

Shaver sockets are 110v, where as the mains is 240v. It might work, depends on what said speaker wants. Is this just for charging?

Not for charging. Sonos speakers need to be powered on at all times.

Edit. Apparently Sonos components have autoswitching power amps and work on both 110 and 220.

So other than Chico pouring water on it I assume it's safe to use with the set up I suggested. Alternatively I could use a UK plug and put that into a European adaptor and then into the razor socket?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 12:44]

Iron Lion Zion

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:41 - Jan 28 with 6662 viewsSouperJim

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:39 - Jan 28 by GlasgowBlue

Edit. Apparently Sonos components have autoswitching power amps and work on both 110 and 220.

So other than Chico pouring water on it I assume it's safe to use with the set up I suggested. Alternatively I could use a UK plug and put that into a European adaptor and then into the razor socket?

I know next to nothing about Sonos speakers, the manual should list what it runs on. Worst case scenario, you plug it in and sod all happens.

Edit to reply to your edit: I'd just get a 2 pin cable for it.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 12:46]

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:45 - Jan 28 with 6632 viewsDeano69

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:36 - Jan 28 by SouperJim

The voltage is fairly irrelevant, its how much in amps it is going to draw that makes the difference.

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:52 - Jan 28 with 6605 viewsSouperJim

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:45 - Jan 28 by Deano69

The voltage is fairly irrelevant, its how much in amps it is going to draw that makes the difference.

Well yes, assuming the device will run on the voltage you're putting in it. Compare the manual of said device (or possibly the label on the back of it) to the output listed on the socket, usually that's printed on it somewhere too. Probably 20VA max?

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:56 - Jan 28 with 6595 viewsDeano69

not sure which one you have, these are the power consumed while idle

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/256?language=en_US

They should never be used for anything other than a shaver/toothbrush, which are appropriately sealed against water getting in. They are also very low on power usage requirements.

Can you? - possibly depending on the version of shaver socket, but probably limited to 5amps (possibly 2) so definitely not recommended

Should you?- god no, they are not designed for such use (and often wired from a lighting circuit too)

Login to get fewer ads

Electrical experts - help needed on 13:02 - Jan 28 with 6567 viewsGlasgowBlue

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:56 - Jan 28 by Deano69

They should never be used for anything other than a shaver/toothbrush, which are appropriately sealed against water getting in. They are also very low on power usage requirements.

Can you? - possibly depending on the version of shaver socket, but probably limited to 5amps (possibly 2) so definitely not recommended

Should you?- god no, they are not designed for such use (and often wired from a lighting circuit too)

Thanks. It would be the small Play 1. It's an en-suite bathroom so I suppose the only other solution would be to plug the speaker in the bedroom and then drill a discreet hole in the wall from bedroom to bathroom.

Iron Lion Zion

Electrical experts - help needed on 13:02 - Jan 28 with 6566 viewsDeano69

Electrical experts - help needed on 12:56 - Jan 28 by Deano69

These guys suggest it is well sealed enough to use in a steamy room like a bathroom, but still don't recommend using the shaving socket. Looks like a wall bracket with the power in an adjacent room or loft/void space

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/blog/faqs/sonos-bathroom-audio

Electrical experts - help needed on 13:07 - Jan 28 with 6547 viewsDeano69

Electrical experts - help needed on 13:02 - Jan 28 by GlasgowBlue

Thanks. It would be the small Play 1. It's an en-suite bathroom so I suppose the only other solution would be to plug the speaker in the bedroom and then drill a discreet hole in the wall from bedroom to bathroom.

See, previous post.

The only other alternative is a waterproof speaker (possibly ceiling) with a Sonos Connect:AMP. Will need to be powered, but then you are only running speaker wire to the speaker.

Not a lot of hep if you already have the Sonos one. I love my Sonos kit, the only reason I haven't done this myself is because my 12 year old already spends about 30 minutes in the shower, so don't want any further distractions!

Electrical experts - help needed on 13:08 - Jan 28 with 6539 viewschicoazul

I tell you what I want to know. Why dont they do a simple water proof one for showers?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Electrical experts - help needed on 13:19 - Jan 28 with 6505 viewstazdac

Euro adapter will not fit a shaver socket but a USA one will, I have my Alexa speaker plugged into mine but the socket is in a wall unit and the speaker is sitting on top, well away from the shower.
It’s just the damp air that may cause an issue with how long the speaker lasts. :o)
Electrical experts - help needed on 13:59 - Jan 28 with 6443 viewsGlasgowBlue

Electrical experts - help needed on 13:19 - Jan 28 by tazdac

Euro adapter will not fit a shaver socket but a USA one will, I have my Alexa speaker plugged into mine but the socket is in a wall unit and the speaker is sitting on top, well away from the shower.
It’s just the damp air that may cause an issue with how long the speaker lasts. :o)

It must be a USA lead that I have (can't remember what it came with) because I plugged it in this morning and it fitted perfectly.

Haven't bought an additional play 1 yet to try this out.

Iron Lion Zion

Electrical experts - help needed on 14:19 - Jan 28 with 6420 viewsDeano69

Electrical experts - help needed on 13:08 - Jan 28 by chicoazul

I tell you what I want to know. Why dont they do a simple water proof one for showers?

Have seen battery powered Bluetooth speakers, but as Sonos would need Wi-Fi, its going to require power, not a great mix electricity and water.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024