Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? 14:43 - Jan 28 with 5882 viewsSuperfrans

So, before today's game we were 7 points clear at the top of this league. Which league is this? Do we win promotion to the division above? if not, how do we put our reserves up against better teams, to give our second string players more competition and enhance/accelerate their development?

It seems a little pointless to be playing inferior teams and winning 4-0 every week, to be honest...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 14:44 - Jan 28 with 5468 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

No promotion.

We go in to a play off I think. Then it starts again next year.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 14:49 - Jan 28 with 5421 viewsitfcjoe

It's a North league and a South league. You play everyone in South both home AND away, play everyone in the North at home OR away.

1st in South plays 2nd in North and vice versa, with the winners having a Final for the Professional Development League title

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 14:52 - Jan 28 with 5400 viewshatch

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 14:49 - Jan 28 by itfcjoe

It's a North league and a South league. You play everyone in South both home AND away, play everyone in the North at home OR away.

1st in South plays 2nd in North and vice versa, with the winners having a Final for the Professional Development League title

And I assume it is just Category 2 teams, the Category 1 teams are in the Checkatrade Trophy?
Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 14:55 - Jan 28 with 5374 viewsPinewoodblue

No promotion or relegation Need to be Cat1 to play in higher league. There is a cup competition that involves Cat1 teams but Ipswich decided not to participate. Games would have been played on main pitch.

Can see the logic of saving the pitch but would have been nice to see how our team competed against supposedly superior opposition. Played in groups then knockout.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 14:56 - Jan 28 with 5365 viewsitfcjoe

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 14:52 - Jan 28 by hatch

And I assume it is just Category 2 teams, the Category 1 teams are in the Checkatrade Trophy?

Category 1 teams are in the PL2, which is 2 divisions with promotions and relegations rather than split geographically

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 14:57 - Jan 28 with 5347 viewsArnieM

Hopefully a large proportion of this U23 squad will become the first team squad next season, with a few senior pros amongst them for support.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:03 - Jan 28 with 5311 viewsPinewoodblue

Bishop got his hattrick, ended 5-0.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:14 - Jan 28 with 5246 viewsSomethingBlue

Not possible sadly, while Norwich's youngsters — for example — play elite teams and interesting European opposition every season.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:22 - Jan 28 with 5173 viewsGuthrum

This is where the demise of the old reserves league is a problem. U23 matches do not have the same edge - particularly within the limitations of EPPP (i.e. not Cat 1 clubs involved) - or involvement of senior players.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:28 - Jan 28 with 5132 viewsHarry_Palmer

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:14 - Jan 28 by SomethingBlue

Not possible sadly, while Norwich's youngsters — for example — play elite teams and interesting European opposition every season.

As much as I detest them you really have to admire how they have run their football club in recent years.
Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:33 - Jan 28 with 5104 viewsSuperfrans

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:28 - Jan 28 by Harry_Palmer

As much as I detest them you really have to admire how they have run their football club in recent years.

In some ways, yes. Although they haven't had to scrabble round for funding in the way that we have. Fact is, when you get a few years in the Prem every decade, the extra cash covers a multitude of sins.

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:39 - Jan 28 with 5046 viewsHarry_Palmer

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:33 - Jan 28 by Superfrans

In some ways, yes. Although they haven't had to scrabble round for funding in the way that we have. Fact is, when you get a few years in the Prem every decade, the extra cash covers a multitude of sins.

Of course but they only got into the prem in the first place through ultimately running the club well, they have not had any rich owner pumping millions in it is just a well run football club.

Even this season they haven't spent much money but have established an exciting playing squad full of technical footballers which is very likely to finish in the top two. It comes down to good decisions and strategy at the top and good recruitment. I hate waxing lyrical about them I really do, but credit where credit is due.
Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:43 - Jan 28 with 5023 viewsJeff_winger

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 14:52 - Jan 28 by hatch

Not all Cat 1 teams play in checkatrade, they only invite 16 based on league position the previous year.

For example Norwich U23s were not in checkatrade this year
Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:46 - Jan 28 with 5007 viewsitfcjoe

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:39 - Jan 28 by Harry_Palmer

Of course but they only got into the prem in the first place through ultimately running the club well, they have not had any rich owner pumping millions in it is just a well run football club.

Even this season they haven't spent much money but have established an exciting playing squad full of technical footballers which is very likely to finish in the top two. It comes down to good decisions and strategy at the top and good recruitment. I hate waxing lyrical about them I really do, but credit where credit is due.

I think it is a stretch to say they ran the club well to get promoted to the PL first time round.

They had just appointed Bryan Gunn, been relegated to League 1 and got stuffed 7-1 by Colchester. They appointed Lambert and he managed to get something going and keep it going, and they haven't really looked back since then.

Their appointment of Webber was astute and is working well, but they got lucky to appoint Lambert and have the back to back promotions.

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:58 - Jan 28 with 4938 viewsSuperfrans

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:39 - Jan 28 by Harry_Palmer

Hmmmm. I don't buy that.

They got into the Prem in the first place because they went down, got thumped first match and were decisive enough to sack their manager and employ the guy who had just thumped them. It all grew from there.

Yes, they had the good sense to appoint Lambert. But this is the club who, over the past 10 years, have appointed both Bryan Gunn and Neil Adams, two of the most under-qualified managers the Championship has seen in recent years.

Since then, they have indeed been smart enough to give Farke the time to do something there and build the structure around him. But they wouldn't have that structure nor the academy without the money invested over the past five years from their time in the Prem.

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:06 - Jan 28 with 4891 viewsHarry_Palmer

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:46 - Jan 28 by itfcjoe

I think it is a stretch to say they ran the club well to get promoted to the PL first time round.

They had just appointed Bryan Gunn, been relegated to League 1 and got stuffed 7-1 by Colchester. They appointed Lambert and he managed to get something going and keep it going, and they haven't really looked back since then.

Their appointment of Webber was astute and is working well, but they got lucky to appoint Lambert and have the back to back promotions.

Was it lucky? Maybe it was to a point but ultimately it proved to be just a good decision ( to sack Gunn and to appoint Lambert at that time ).

Is it just bad luck that we keep appointing the wrong managers time and time again and do so without any real strategy? I don't think so.

You always need a bit of luck but if you do the right things more often than not then you tend to be more be lucky. Lets hope we have finally got it right this time.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 16:28]
Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:31 - Jan 28 with 4802 viewsIllinoisblue

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 15:28 - Jan 28 by Harry_Palmer

side note; remember all the experts on here in the summer who were joyfully predicting the demise of the canaries and how there was no way they'd cope without Madison and Gunn and were sure to be facing financial meltdown once the parachute money ran out...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:32 - Jan 28 with 4785 viewsSuperfrans

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:06 - Jan 28 by Harry_Palmer

Was it lucky? Maybe it was to a point but ultimately it proved to be just a good decision ( to sack Gunn and to appoint Lambert at that time ).

Is it just bad luck that we keep appointing the wrong managers time and time again and do so without any real strategy? I don't think so.

You always need a bit of luck but if you do the right things more often than not then you tend to be more be lucky. Lets hope we have finally got it right this time.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 16:28]

To have appointed Gunn and then Lambert suggests, at very best, that their managerial recruitment was fairly random. It certainly isn't the sign of a well run club at the time.

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:34 - Jan 28 with 4777 viewsFixed_It

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:31 - Jan 28 by Illinoisblue

side note; remember all the experts on here in the summer who were joyfully predicting the demise of the canaries and how there was no way they'd cope without Madison and Gunn and were sure to be facing financial meltdown once the parachute money ran out...

Who the feck are 'the canaries'?! You sound like one of them.

*I know you're not - but no-one calls them that. You have been away too long!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:35 - Jan 28 with 4774 viewsSuperfrans

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:31 - Jan 28 by Illinoisblue

To be fair, a lot of Norwich fans felt much the same. I know a fair few who thought they should have got shot of Farke last season. Now, of course, he's looking like a genius.

Again, this does highlight the part that luck/good fortune plays in all this.

The difference between this seasons team and last seasons is Pukki, who is scoring goals for fun. They were playing well last season, but had no cutting edge. But they signed Pukki, he started well and the team has built confidence from that. They could never have known he would have the impact he has.

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:39 - Jan 28 with 4750 viewschicoazul

Attn young people reading this: did you know that in the late 70s and early 80s we would get roughly a 7k attendance for a reserve game? And it was about a quid to get in?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:41 - Jan 28 with 4729 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:39 - Jan 28 by chicoazul

Attn young people reading this: did you know that in the late 70s and early 80s we would get roughly a 7k attendance for a reserve game? And it was about a quid to get in?

My first games were reserve games. It was a lot easier for a 5 year old to see back then, rather than cramming into a crowded stand. Probably safer too - I think my old man was nervous about taking me on the terraces when I was very young.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:48 - Jan 28 with 4676 viewsitfcjoe

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:35 - Jan 28 by Superfrans

To be fair, a lot of Norwich fans felt much the same. I know a fair few who thought they should have got shot of Farke last season. Now, of course, he's looking like a genius.

The difference between this seasons team and last seasons is Pukki, who is scoring goals for fun. They were playing well last season, but had no cutting edge. But they signed Pukki, he started well and the team has built confidence from that. They could never have known he would have the impact he has.

There was talk that if we beat them in the Derby that the pressure would increase on him massively

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 17:07 - Jan 28 with 4613 viewsIllinoisblue

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:34 - Jan 28 by Fixed_It

Who the feck are 'the canaries'?! You sound like one of them.

*I know you're not - but no-one calls them that. You have been away too long!

I was trying to rise above calling them scum like i usually do.

62 - 78 - 81

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 17:16 - Jan 28 with 4575 viewsIllinoisblue

Can someone explain something to me about the U-23s? on 16:35 - Jan 28 by Superfrans

luck undoubtedly plays a big part in success. But as they say, you make your own luck. ITFC seem unable to do that. They also say the harder you work the luckier you get. Maybe that's the problem; Evans appearing from his secret bunker twice a decade maybe isn't quite enough to set the tone for success.

62 - 78 - 81

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024