Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
playing out from the back 22:19 - Jan 28 with 6058 viewsIllinoisblue

painful to watch us try to do it. We don't appear to have any confidence doing it. I don't see hardly any other championship football - all i see is our games on iFollow - do other teams regularly try and play out from the back? It's not immediately clear what the benefit is.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

playing out from the back on 22:26 - Jan 28 with 4288 viewsFtnfwest

Few teams are good enough. Let’s face it, it’s easier running around like madmen in the oppositions faces than playing out from the back.
playing out from the back on 22:31 - Jan 28 with 4273 viewsSomethingBlue

I think it's PL trying to instil a philosophy that will work in the long term, and we haven't had that in years. At the moment it still involves square pegs in round holes. There is a fairly strong argument that we would be better placed if someone had come in and taken a Mick-style approach but I see enough merit on what Lambert is trying at the moment.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

playing out from the back on 22:47 - Jan 28 with 4230 viewsBent_double

Only going by the BBC commentary, but Brenner and Mills were having kittens every time we did it against AV the other day. I guess the confidence will come with games though, has to be better than just hoofball...
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 22:48]

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

playing out from the back on 22:49 - Jan 28 with 4215 viewsBackToRussia

playing out from the back on 22:31 - Jan 28 by SomethingBlue

I think it's PL trying to instil a philosophy that will work in the long term, and we haven't had that in years. At the moment it still involves square pegs in round holes. There is a fairly strong argument that we would be better placed if someone had come in and taken a Mick-style approach but I see enough merit on what Lambert is trying at the moment.

Exactly, can't really complain if he's trying what most people want. He's made explicit reference to our teams playing a similar way at all levels, so it's cohesive.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

playing out from the back on 23:20 - Jan 28 with 4166 viewsGuthrum

The benefit - when done successfully - is better control of the ball. The alternative, a long kick, too often ends up with 50/50 head tennis at best.

However, Villa defended it very well, with a solid rampart along the half-way line and attackers well forward who could intercept stray passes. Mostly, our man with the ball had nowhere to go other than sideways or backwards, with even that having the aforementioned risks. Our strikers were cut off and isolated.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

playing out from the back on 02:59 - Jan 29 with 4071 viewsharlingblue

We don't have either keeper Gerks or especially Bart happy doing this, and their own games have dipped making them look very ordinary keepers, even at shot stopping.
The U23 team can do it at their level, because it has had time to be coached into them, and they are successful at it.
We have a mish mash of a 1st team, losing star players at the end of the season and before the start of this.
Installing a new Manager Hurst, who could only replace Championship players with the good players that he knew, but from the lower leagues. Failure ensued.
Bottom of the league, Paul Lambert is installed as Manager, a breath of fresh air for the Club. Wants to play football from the back, but hasn't got the players to do it, buys players that are fringe players from other Championship clubs, many lacking match play, and still wanting to play football from the back?
Time is passing, results are no better, our defence or keeper keep making the same mistakes, perhaps it is time to bypass our weaklinks and push forward in a more direct style, at least get into our opposition half and push forward to try and find their weaklinks.
If we can stay up, then PL will have a pre-season to work on his team, that should include the many excellent young players coming through from our great Academy.
playing out from the back on 05:26 - Jan 29 with 4017 viewsSitfcB

We haven’t been able to do it for ages.

Mick even tried it, we aren’t that sort of team anymore.

Lambert should’ve realised this and changed it to survive this season, survIval the most important thing however we play.

Stay up and implement it in pre-season, sign a ‘keeper who plays like it and possibly another CB, I love Chambers a lot but he’s not a ball playing CB.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

playing out from the back on 07:07 - Jan 29 with 3945 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

That would be great if half the team weren’t going to be elsewhere next season

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

playing out from the back on 07:11 - Jan 29 with 3937 viewschristiand

It's the latest coaching approach due to Pep's Manchester City doing it so well. It certainly helps if you have a goalkeeper and defenders that are comfortable with the ball at their feet, which then allows us to play through the midfield. Unfortunately we don't, but still doggedly persist with this approach. For me, with the personnel we have, it seems pointless and invites unnecessary pressure while encouraging the opposition to dispossess us higher up the pitch due to clumsy passing. Invariably, we knock it long anyway, might as well do that initially from the goal-kick!
[Post edited 29 Jan 2019 7:23]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

playing out from the back on 07:18 - Jan 29 with 3915 viewsBenters2

playing out from the back on 07:07 - Jan 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That would be great if half the team weren’t going to be elsewhere next season

Well yes but Town are off somewhere else as well.

I wonder if Saaaarfend still has those dancing girls?
playing out from the back on 07:40 - Jan 29 with 3874 viewsbournemouthblue

I can remember Brentford doing it against us when Murphy was on fire and we should have put 4 or 5 past them

Part of me wonders if Lambert already knew we were down and was trying to instill this style for the rebuild in League One

We don't have the personal to do it in the style he would want but maybe able to develop younger players to get used it

Who knows, it's highly suicidal given our previous manager preferred solid footballers playing a no nonsense game back there
[Post edited 29 Jan 2019 7:45]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

playing out from the back on 07:45 - Jan 29 with 3860 viewsBlueAllOver

playing out from the back on 07:11 - Jan 29 by christiand

It's the latest coaching approach due to Pep's Manchester City doing it so well. It certainly helps if you have a goalkeeper and defenders that are comfortable with the ball at their feet, which then allows us to play through the midfield. Unfortunately we don't, but still doggedly persist with this approach. For me, with the personnel we have, it seems pointless and invites unnecessary pressure while encouraging the opposition to dispossess us higher up the pitch due to clumsy passing. Invariably, we knock it long anyway, might as well do that initially from the goal-kick!
[Post edited 29 Jan 2019 7:23]

Yes we pass it around then quite often pass it back for the keeper to go long with his weaker foot.
playing out from the back on 08:07 - Jan 29 with 3822 viewsSWGF

It would work if we had a central midfielder willing and able to accept the ball from either CB and progress the ball up the pitch. We don't have that. The CBs simply get it passed back to them and are under even more pressure as a result. In theory, the CB collects the ball and passes it 10-15yds into the midfield; I think they're capable of that. It's the bit *after* that which isn't there.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

playing out from the back on 08:17 - Jan 29 with 3798 viewschicoazul

What he is trying isnt working and if anything has made us worse. You see more of them than I do but if they are trying to play it out with our current set of creaking donkeys then theyre asking for trouble. Hoof it up to Colin and Will. Got to try *something*.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

playing out from the back on 08:19 - Jan 29 with 3791 viewsBiGDonnie

playing out from the back on 08:07 - Jan 29 by SWGF

It would work if we had a central midfielder willing and able to accept the ball from either CB and progress the ball up the pitch. We don't have that. The CBs simply get it passed back to them and are under even more pressure as a result. In theory, the CB collects the ball and passes it 10-15yds into the midfield; I think they're capable of that. It's the bit *after* that which isn't there.

I hope that's not a dig at the 'undroppable' Skuse?

Last two seasons he's averaged one tackle a game, one interception a game and one clearance a game. Read into that what you will, but for me, he's useless and one of the main reasons why we have struggled for so long.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

playing out from the back on 08:30 - Jan 29 with 3763 viewsunstableblue

I think Illinois that this club has been in decline for a couple of seasons. We have lacked a clear identity and progressive playing style/system on the pitch. As a result we had become a team very uncomfortable in posession, prone to aimless long ball and as a result we had very high ball turnover rates and low pass accuracy.

A lot of this came from the goalkeeper or defenders kicking long. It invited pressure back on ourselves.

This trait continued in some part into the Hurts era. Although to the disastrous lower league tyrant he did try and change it.

Lambert has clearly picked up on this challenge and also he prefers playing on there floor -
Hence promoting the playing out from the back you deride. On a few occasions it’s worked well and Collins for one looks very comfortable doing it.

I would personally continue with it when space and time allows and get the midfield to show more options to the defenders.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

playing out from the back on 08:35 - Jan 29 with 3753 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

playing out from the back on 08:19 - Jan 29 by BiGDonnie

I hope that's not a dig at the 'undroppable' Skuse?

Last two seasons he's averaged one tackle a game, one interception a game and one clearance a game. Read into that what you will, but for me, he's useless and one of the main reasons why we have struggled for so long.

Those stats are entirely made up

Last season Skuse averaged 1.3 tackles per game, 2.1 interceptions (6th best in the league), and 2 clearances

This season he’s averaging 1.1, 1.2 and 1.5

We also finished 12th last season, so hardly struggled

playing out from the back on 08:41 - Jan 29 with 3734 viewsHarwich_Blue

First post in a while , however you make a good point - however one thing that is very noticable is the possession statistics , ours have risen greatly to my limited knowledge over the past 5/6 weeks , this is the way to go for the future , Norwich Succeeded with it under Lambert - he was not given enough time at Stoke etc to make it work.

The combination of patience (I hope) from fans and owner at Ipswich will eventually reap rewards , the only hiccup I see is that sometimes pretty football does not get you out of League 1.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2019 8:42]
playing out from the back on 09:08 - Jan 29 with 3684 viewsBiGDonnie

playing out from the back on 08:35 - Jan 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Last season Skuse averaged 1.3 tackles per game, 2.1 interceptions (6th best in the league), and 2 clearances

Got them from 'whoscored'.

COYBs

playing out from the back on 09:23 - Jan 29 with 3659 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

playing out from the back on 09:08 - Jan 29 by BiGDonnie

Got them from 'whoscored'.

No you didn’t, as that’s where mine came from

playing out from the back on 09:34 - Jan 29 with 3632 viewsBiGDonnie

playing out from the back on 09:23 - Jan 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No you didn’t, as that’s where mine came from

Suggest you look again then kiddo.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13667/History/Cole-Skuse

COYBs

playing out from the back on 09:35 - Jan 29 with 3628 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

playing out from the back on 09:34 - Jan 29 by BiGDonnie

Suggest you look again then kiddo.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13667/History/Cole-Skuse

That link quotes my numbers

playing out from the back (n/t) on 09:36 - Jan 29 with 3624 viewskpblues

playing out from the back on 08:35 - Jan 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

[Post edited 29 Jan 2019 9:47]

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

playing out from the back on 09:40 - Jan 29 with 3611 viewsSwn98

playing out from the back on 08:17 - Jan 29 by chicoazul

What he is trying isnt working and if anything has made us worse. You see more of them than I do but if they are trying to play it out with our current set of creaking donkeys then theyre asking for trouble. Hoof it up to Colin and Will. Got to try *something*.

Thought thats why Mick was hounded out Hoofball!
playing out from the back on 09:44 - Jan 29 with 3599 viewsBiGDonnie

playing out from the back (n/t) on 09:36 - Jan 29 by kpblues

[Post edited 29 Jan 2019 9:47]

Sh!t ain't they!

COYBs

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024