Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travelling help required ASAP! 10:42 - Feb 4 with 812 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

I booked a holiday recently for myself and a friend. The surname that he uses/goes by on a day-to-day basis isn't the same name as on his passport (uses his step father's surname, rather than his biological father's, but this hasn't legally been changed so the name on his passport is his real father's surname).

I've queried this with the travel agency who claim that it will cost £140 to get this changed. The difficulty is that when I made the booking I remember making a point that the name I was providing wasn't his legal name and I'd need to check that, but the operator told me that it wouldn't matter.
The online support is now telling me that it needs to match the name on the passport as all of the bookings (flights, transfer and hotel) are in the name I provided.

My question is: firstly, will it matter than the booking name is different? When doing online check-in, if I provide the legal name will this be what is printed on the boarding passes or will it cause issues? I can't imagine that the transfer/hotel name being different will be an issue, so for the boarding passes will it be a problem?

Secondly, am I at fault? If I was then I'd admit I was in the wrong and pay the £140, it's not a big dent in my pocket considering the whole trip is a 50/50 split between the two of us, but I remember raising the point of it not being his legal name, so I don't feel at fault.

What are my options?
Travelling help required ASAP! on 10:45 - Feb 4 with 789 viewsSitfcB

This happened to us when we went to Vegas....

And it didn’t get noticed until we were at the airport!!

The air line (Virgin) just changed it and gave him a new ticket with the correct name.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Travelling help required ASAP! on 10:49 - Feb 4 with 767 viewsitfcjoe

Boarding pass is the only thing that really matters, if you can speak directly to someone on the airline you mjay have more success.

That or find evidence you did indeed state this.

Otherwise will need to cough up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Travelling help required ASAP! on 10:58 - Feb 4 with 736 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Travelling help required ASAP! on 10:49 - Feb 4 by itfcjoe

Boarding pass is the only thing that really matters, if you can speak directly to someone on the airline you mjay have more success.

That or find evidence you did indeed state this.

Otherwise will need to cough up

I didn't think transfer or hotel would matter. We booked travel insurance under his legal name so it's only the ATOL certificate and flights that may have an issue.

I'll contact Ryanair to see if they can be of more assistance.
Travelling help required ASAP! on 11:04 - Feb 4 with 718 viewsitfcjoe

Travelling help required ASAP! on 10:58 - Feb 4 by No_Moore_Kieffer

I didn't think transfer or hotel would matter. We booked travel insurance under his legal name so it's only the ATOL certificate and flights that may have an issue.

I'll contact Ryanair to see if they can be of more assistance.

If it is Ryanair I wouldn't waste your time. Best chance is if flights are cheaper than £140 now then re book them.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Travelling help required ASAP! on 11:11 - Feb 4 with 699 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Travelling help required ASAP! on 11:04 - Feb 4 by itfcjoe

If it is Ryanair I wouldn't waste your time. Best chance is if flights are cheaper than £140 now then re book them.

I've just checked their help section - apparently name changes can be done online free of charge (if a minor name change) or a small fee if a full name change. I'll give them a ring to query it after work and see what the option is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024