Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My plan for League One - all is not lost 16:39 - Feb 4 with 1800 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The number of players we have is quite simply remarkable. FORTY PLAYERS LISTED BELOW!

UNDER CONTRACT / TRY TO RETAIN

Gerken
Donacian
Edwards
Jackson
Harrison
Nolan
Bishop
Nydam
Ward
Sears
Downes
Nsiala
Dozzell
Emmanuel
Wright
Kenlock
Judge
Woolfenden
Folami
Morris
Lankester
Collins
Ndaba
Crowe
Huws

RELEASE / SELL / OUT OF CONTRACT

Knudsen
Chambers
Skuse
Spence
Rowe
Roberts
Adeyemi
Drinan
Bialkowski
Cotter
Webber
Smith
McLoughlin
Dawkins

EXPIRED LOANS

Pennington
Chalobah
Keane
Elder
Bree
Quaner

MAIN SQUAD

GK - Gerken, Wright (2)
DF - Donacien, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Collins, Ndaba, Crowe (8)
MF - Edwards, Ward, Lankester, Nolan, Bishop, Nydam, Downes, Dozzell, Judge, Huws (10)
FW - Jackson, Harrison, Sears, Folami, Morris (5)

We would shift an enormous amount off the wage bill with Bart, Chambers, Skuse and Knudsen being the high earners and no doubt recover a little bit by way of fees for the likes of Bart.

We could move on any of the youngsters that should have made an impact now and have been overtaken - the likes of Drinan and Cotter and this would leave us with a very young squad, free of any major earners, with the likes of Huws and Sears likely to be the biggest earners.

A few of the above may well need to be moved out and I would imagine that if Collins left we would need to bring in an experienced old war horse. The parting with Chambers in my mind is purely because, as great a captain as he has been, he epitomises the old regime, from which we need a break. The comfortable, cosy regime.

I would like to see a lower league marksman come in like James Collins of Luton (I know he will pass us by in the other direction) or Charlie Wyke (likewise), someone of that ilk, but when you actually look at that side, it's an extremely competitive side on paper for League One that should certainly be in or around the top six.

Kenlock for me is the one big call in there of players who I don't actually think is going to be good enough, so I would go with this. Danny Rowe is the one I may have included as keeping and seeing given the lack of out and out wingers.

Gerken
Emmanuel / Nsiala / Collins / Donacien
Lankester / Downes / Judge / Bishop / Sears
Harrison

SUBS from - Wright, Woolfenden, Kenlock, Huws (if fit), Dozzell, Edwards, Nolan, Ward Harrison

RESERVES from - Ndaba, Crowe, Nydam, Folami, Morris.

This is without the addition of any other players. Compare that side to Luton, Portsmouth and so on and it's pretty decent.

There are plenty of players like Judge, Lankester, Bishop, Nolan, Huws and Dozzell that should be able to create.

Harrison can score goals at that level, Sears certainly can, Jackson I think could. We have a lot of decent players in the middle but wide midfield and full backs would be a concern but we know Emmanuel was good enough for a promotion winning team two years ago.

I don't rate Gerken at this level but he'd be one of the better keepers in League One.

When you look at all this though it is an absolute mess of a sorting job. I could make a case for needing to improve 2 or 3 positions at least within that 11 as well.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2019 16:42]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 16:44 - Feb 4 with 1752 viewsmadmouse1959

What a mess. !!!!

shampoo dave

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 16:47 - Feb 4 with 1733 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 16:44 - Feb 4 by madmouse1959

What a mess. !!!!

Given the size of the average League One squad, you could easily make a case for us needing to ship out at least 20 players from the 40 I have named!

It is quite remarkable that we have bits of Mick's squad that Hurst didn't want, Hurst signings that Lambert didn't want, Lambert loan signings that won't be retained, out of contract players that will leave for something else.

It's pretty unique to potentially face such upheaval, none of which will give us any sort of stability, which is probably what we need!

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 16:56 - Feb 4 with 1704 viewsrickw

I agree we clearly have far too many players, but don't agree with all of those you suggest to keep/release
I think our long term success has to be on a team based around our youths, so I'd have:
___________________Gerken
Emmanuel__Woolfenden__Collins__Kenlock
__________________New DM
_____________Bishop_____Downes/Dozzell
Lankester_________________________Sears
__________________Harrison?

I'm sure all our youths won't make the grade, but I'd like to see them given the opportunity to succeed or fail.
They need the right balance around them - as they are young and generally small we need plenty of experience, height and strength, otherwise we'll just continue to struggle from set-pieces. Collins fits that description perfectly, Chambers deserves more but just isn't that huge domineering centre back that looks unbeatable in the air.
Skuse likewise has done a lot for the club but I think to get the best out of Bishop + Dozzell we really need a powerhouse in midfield. Rohan Ince is currently unattached and would be a gamble but he fits that description and I can remember him dominating for Brighton against us a few years ago...

I'm also not certain about Harrison, and the same for Keane and Quaner, Jackson provides a different option perhaps similar to Morris though. Ideally we'd want Darryl Murphy 2.0, I don't know where you find him though!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 17:00 - Feb 4 with 1684 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 16:56 - Feb 4 by rickw

I agree we clearly have far too many players, but don't agree with all of those you suggest to keep/release
I think our long term success has to be on a team based around our youths, so I'd have:
___________________Gerken
Emmanuel__Woolfenden__Collins__Kenlock
__________________New DM
_____________Bishop_____Downes/Dozzell
Lankester_________________________Sears
__________________Harrison?

I'm sure all our youths won't make the grade, but I'd like to see them given the opportunity to succeed or fail.
They need the right balance around them - as they are young and generally small we need plenty of experience, height and strength, otherwise we'll just continue to struggle from set-pieces. Collins fits that description perfectly, Chambers deserves more but just isn't that huge domineering centre back that looks unbeatable in the air.
Skuse likewise has done a lot for the club but I think to get the best out of Bishop + Dozzell we really need a powerhouse in midfield. Rohan Ince is currently unattached and would be a gamble but he fits that description and I can remember him dominating for Brighton against us a few years ago...

I'm also not certain about Harrison, and the same for Keane and Quaner, Jackson provides a different option perhaps similar to Morris though. Ideally we'd want Darryl Murphy 2.0, I don't know where you find him though!

Your team excludes Judge, who would be an absolute class above in League One and probably our key man.

But that aside, then I see where you're coming from. A lot of us seem to think we need to get rid of the same players and are largely agreed on the ones to be kept, just with the odd difference of opinion on a few of our youngsters.

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 17:16 - Feb 4 with 1625 viewsFrimleyBlue

I've got a theory.

Some of the players out of the firing line.. Jackson. Harrison are being worked on behind the scenes.

Clearly not good enough for this level. So rather than have the fans on their backs.. work with them for next season.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

on 17:18 - Feb 4 with 1617 views_

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 17:20 - Feb 4 with 1603 viewstractorshark

I struggle to see the reasoning for ditching Chambers and Skuse when we will need their experience in League One.
But even if you think they’re past it, I’d point out that Collins is highly unlikely to stay and will get better offers, leaving us without an experienced centre-back.
And Huws, Ward, Dozzell and Bishop are all made out of glass, leaving us at the mercy of long-term injury.
I know Skuse and Chambers aren’t a long-term fix but I would keep them at least for a year.
I see little evidence in that squad that we will stroll League One.
My plan for League One - all is not lost on 17:39 - Feb 4 with 1544 viewsKropotkin123

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 17:20 - Feb 4 by tractorshark

I struggle to see the reasoning for ditching Chambers and Skuse when we will need their experience in League One.
But even if you think they’re past it, I’d point out that Collins is highly unlikely to stay and will get better offers, leaving us without an experienced centre-back.
And Huws, Ward, Dozzell and Bishop are all made out of glass, leaving us at the mercy of long-term injury.
I know Skuse and Chambers aren’t a long-term fix but I would keep them at least for a year.
I see little evidence in that squad that we will stroll League One.

I don't think we "need" their experience. Nsiala was good at that level. Woolfenden looks good. I agree on Collins, unlikely to be here. I think Chambers will be here net season.

Which Skuse does a lot that goes unnoticed, I do agree he slows the play down too much and doesn't have the authority he used to. I think we need to get rid and invest in a better DM.

It's all a bit of a mess and I agree, League One won't be easy. There is a culture of losing. I don't think half the players are as bad as they make themselves look at the moment.

Need to get rid of the loans, and start getting the team in place for next year.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 17:47 - Feb 4 with 1506 viewschicoazul

Let's just shift out everyone out of contract and get 15 or so new players in and try to retain a couple of the youngsters who want to stay. Start something new and exciting. It's not like we don't have some half decent L1 players already in the building now anyway.
Oh, and sort something out with Skuse and let him go.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

My plan for League One - all is not lost on 19:18 - Feb 4 with 1376 viewsPecker

That took some doing. Great work. Agree with part 1. Agree with part 2. Agree with part 3. Agree with part 4. Agree with part 5 and agree with part 6. Total agreeance from me. Like I said, great effort that.
My plan for League One - all is not lost on 20:25 - Feb 4 with 1278 viewsMrTown

If we were to sign absolutely no one else, we could have a good L1 starting XI.

–––––––––––––Gerk––––––––––––
Emmanuel - Chambers - Woolfenden - Kenlock
–––––––––––- Downes –––––––––––
––––– Bishop ––––––––- Dozzell ––––
Lankester –––––––––––––––– Edwards
–––––––––––- Harrison ––––––––––

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024