Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert and our style of play 09:25 - Feb 5 with 4471 viewsGarv

Is anyone else surprised he didn't come in and go full on MM and shut up shop?

This isn't a critical post by the way, more thinking 'out loud'. You have to commend him for trying to do it this way and committing to it long term.

I did expect Lambert to improve us defensively I must admit, but it's not really happened has it? Instead of losing games 2-0 constantly under Hurst it now more like 2-1 or 3-2. The trouble is we still never look like out scoring anyone.

Here's to hoping the style he is implementing will be effective by the time we are playing Accrington again.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lambert and our style of play on 09:28 - Feb 5 with 4459 viewsKieran_Knows

I said it after the Preston game, I really commend the way he is/was trying to set us up to play, but unfortunately we just do not have the players to execute it.

That being said, I don't think we'd have been any better off by 'trying to shut up shop', we might've picked up a draw or 2 along the way (Saturday for instance), but even then that doesn't look like it would've hauled us any closer to safety.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Lambert and our style of play on 09:32 - Feb 5 with 4428 viewsGarv

Lambert and our style of play on 09:28 - Feb 5 by Kieran_Knows

I said it after the Preston game, I really commend the way he is/was trying to set us up to play, but unfortunately we just do not have the players to execute it.

That being said, I don't think we'd have been any better off by 'trying to shut up shop', we might've picked up a draw or 2 along the way (Saturday for instance), but even then that doesn't look like it would've hauled us any closer to safety.

I suspect you're right. Even going defensive or direct would have been difficult because for a long period of time we had no physical presence up front. Now we have Keane and Quaner it would make more sense for me.

Lambert and our style of play on 10:01 - Feb 5 with 4379 viewsGuthrum

Lambert and our style of play on 09:32 - Feb 5 by Garv

I suspect you're right. Even going defensive or direct would have been difficult because for a long period of time we had no physical presence up front. Now we have Keane and Quaner it would make more sense for me.

We've also lacked the defensive players.

Pennington was too raw at CB, Knudsen was off the boil and we've been desperately fishing for someone adequate at RB. Skuse got injured and hasn't been the same since, Chalobah is not consistent enough as a DM.

Chambers - Collins is finally a decent combo, but (as we've already seen) at risk of injury. Bree has yet to prove himself and we still have a problem at LB.

Plus, to play defensively, you need a fast, incisive counterattacking strikeforce. Which we don't have.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lambert and our style of play on 10:05 - Feb 5 with 4363 viewshampstead_blue

Either way we were toast.

No goal threat and not enough talent to play our way out.

I don't like the system that he and MM played. One up top is nowhere near enough, especially if, like us, your man up top is very average indeed.
The front man has to be very good.

I'd like to see 4-4-2. We've nowt to lose.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Lambert and our style of play on 10:12 - Feb 5 with 4330 viewsElephantintheRoom

Surely all he is doing is trying to get the best out of what he has? Anything else would be suicidal. His efforts, such as they are, are made more difficult by the post-January team being full of new arrivals who don't seem to add much more than was already here - and may not care as much they wont be here next season.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Lambert and our style of play on 10:22 - Feb 5 with 4304 viewsGarv

Lambert and our style of play on 10:01 - Feb 5 by Guthrum

We've also lacked the defensive players.

Pennington was too raw at CB, Knudsen was off the boil and we've been desperately fishing for someone adequate at RB. Skuse got injured and hasn't been the same since, Chalobah is not consistent enough as a DM.

Chambers - Collins is finally a decent combo, but (as we've already seen) at risk of injury. Bree has yet to prove himself and we still have a problem at LB.

Plus, to play defensively, you need a fast, incisive counterattacking strikeforce. Which we don't have.

Let me get this straight, are you saying our squad isn't good enough?!

Lambert and our style of play on 10:43 - Feb 5 with 4250 viewsPilgrimblue

Lambert and our style of play on 10:22 - Feb 5 by Garv

Let me get this straight, are you saying our squad isn't good enough?!

Probably but what seems to underline this is that against Wednesday we were without our two main defenders. Yet we only lost 1 nil with very inexperienced back 4. So again we saw how ineffective our midfield/forwards are at creating an attacking force until maybe the later stages when Bish got some help.
I too would always prefer 442 or maybe 532 but always two strikers. Single strikers only work when you have a Murphy type with very attack minded midfielders. Judge must play in no 10 role say part of diamond with Bish and maybe Nolan either side of Skuse. That's why I wanted ex Brentford manager as I loved their style.
Lambert and our style of play on 10:46 - Feb 5 with 4231 viewsurbanblue

Lambert and our style of play on 10:43 - Feb 5 by Pilgrimblue

Probably but what seems to underline this is that against Wednesday we were without our two main defenders. Yet we only lost 1 nil with very inexperienced back 4. So again we saw how ineffective our midfield/forwards are at creating an attacking force until maybe the later stages when Bish got some help.
I too would always prefer 442 or maybe 532 but always two strikers. Single strikers only work when you have a Murphy type with very attack minded midfielders. Judge must play in no 10 role say part of diamond with Bish and maybe Nolan either side of Skuse. That's why I wanted ex Brentford manager as I loved their style.

Totally agree ... Would love us to play with two strikers. Would be interested to see how Harrison and Keane would work out.
Login to get fewer ads

Lambert and our style of play on 10:51 - Feb 5 with 4209 viewsNo9

As we saw for the second half of MM's last season I.C., shutting up shop failed
Lambert and our style of play on 11:10 - Feb 5 with 4171 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lambert and our style of play on 10:51 - Feb 5 by No9

As we saw for the second half of MM's last season I.C., shutting up shop failed

We weren’t good - and yet still got 24 points in the second half of last season

That’s 6 more than in 30 games this season, for those counting at home
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 11:10]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Lambert and our style of play on 11:12 - Feb 5 with 4164 viewsSomethingBlue

Slightly, and it's a point I have wondered about — but, as others have said, the personnel just aren't good enough to do that. We look so flaky the moment we come under any serious pressure. Wednesday barely had a spell of that at all on Saturday but, whenever they came close to it, they ought to have scored.

Assuming the worst happens I think doing things the current way will, at least, have us in a very good place to hit the ground running next season.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lambert and our style of play on 11:13 - Feb 5 with 4157 viewsNo9

Lambert and our style of play on 11:10 - Feb 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

We weren’t good - and yet still got 24 points in the second half of last season

That’s 6 more than in 30 games this season, for those counting at home
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 11:10]

Fact is in MM's last season the home record was abysmal particularly after the NY.
The decline isn't new it's been going on for several seasons & no one seems to know how to stop it
Lambert and our style of play on 11:18 - Feb 5 with 4139 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lambert and our style of play on 11:13 - Feb 5 by No9

Fact is in MM's last season the home record was abysmal particularly after the NY.
The decline isn't new it's been going on for several seasons & no one seems to know how to stop it

It wasn’t great - we averaged a point a game although that did include home games against a number of the top sides in the division (Wolves, Cardiff, Middlesbrough etc)

But again - 10 points from 10 was 1 more than we’ve managed so far this season, from 6 less games. Now that’s what abysmal looks like
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 11:27]

Lambert and our style of play on 11:50 - Feb 5 with 4074 viewsNo9

Lambert and our style of play on 11:18 - Feb 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It wasn’t great - we averaged a point a game although that did include home games against a number of the top sides in the division (Wolves, Cardiff, Middlesbrough etc)

But again - 10 points from 10 was 1 more than we’ve managed so far this season, from 6 less games. Now that’s what abysmal looks like
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 11:27]

This season is horrible but in reality it is just a continuation of the downward graph isn't it?

Last season Town's home performance was P. 23, W. 9, D.6, L.8, F29 A27 so parking the bus wasn't a real success was it?

There has not been much positive since BFJ left, no excuses, ITFC are in a long slow decline & there is no sign of real improvement.
Lambert and our style of play on 11:54 - Feb 5 with 4064 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lambert and our style of play on 11:50 - Feb 5 by No9

This season is horrible but in reality it is just a continuation of the downward graph isn't it?

Last season Town's home performance was P. 23, W. 9, D.6, L.8, F29 A27 so parking the bus wasn't a real success was it?

There has not been much positive since BFJ left, no excuses, ITFC are in a long slow decline & there is no sign of real improvement.

It was the 14th best home record in the division - so certainly not great. However in 2016/17 we had the 16th best home record in division, so actually constituted and improvement

Lambert and our style of play on 13:35 - Feb 5 with 3944 viewsNo9

Lambert and our style of play on 11:54 - Feb 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It was the 14th best home record in the division - so certainly not great. However in 2016/17 we had the 16th best home record in division, so actually constituted and improvement

Frankly any team that can only win one more game at home that it loses has nothing to shout about.
& only scoring 29 goals in 23 games is bad particularly considering 27 were conceded.

This season is bad but none of the seasons have been anything to shout about for years.
Some of the games @ PR were best described as dirge
Nothing worth watching since BFJ left
Lambert and our style of play on 13:53 - Feb 5 with 3897 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lambert and our style of play on 13:35 - Feb 5 by No9

Frankly any team that can only win one more game at home that it loses has nothing to shout about.
& only scoring 29 goals in 23 games is bad particularly considering 27 were conceded.

This season is bad but none of the seasons have been anything to shout about for years.
Some of the games @ PR were best described as dirge
Nothing worth watching since BFJ left

We won 3 more games than we lost at home in 2016/17 and had a GD of plus 6, yet finished lower in the table. Funnily enough it’s how you do across 46 games that matters, not just the home ones

Lambert and our style of play on 14:31 - Feb 5 with 3844 viewsVaughan8

Same as you. I thought he would shut up shop, make us hard to beat initially and if we were ever safe, or next season, start playing the way he wants.

I definitely thought he would sort the defence out, and he has brought it other players now, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is it the midfield which is the problem?

I don't agree with the "stead of losing games 2-0 constantly under Hurst it now more like 2-1 or 3-2" though. We have had plenty of "nil's" away from home; Forest (0-2), QPR (0-3), Stoke (0-2), Middles borough (0-2). Maybe at home we have, but we still are pretty shocking in attack as well (hence our position).

We consistently let in 2 or more a game. Its quite alarming really and I'm not sure who is at fault if there is any 1 thing.
Lambert and our style of play on 15:07 - Feb 5 with 3796 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lambert and our style of play on 14:31 - Feb 5 by Vaughan8

Same as you. I thought he would shut up shop, make us hard to beat initially and if we were ever safe, or next season, start playing the way he wants.

I definitely thought he would sort the defence out, and he has brought it other players now, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is it the midfield which is the problem?

I don't agree with the "stead of losing games 2-0 constantly under Hurst it now more like 2-1 or 3-2" though. We have had plenty of "nil's" away from home; Forest (0-2), QPR (0-3), Stoke (0-2), Middles borough (0-2). Maybe at home we have, but we still are pretty shocking in attack as well (hence our position).

We consistently let in 2 or more a game. Its quite alarming really and I'm not sure who is at fault if there is any 1 thing.

We’ve scored 12 goals in 16 games under Lambert, compared to 12 in 15 under Hurst. We’re just as bad now in attack as we’ve been all season

Since Keane and Quaner were brought in we’ve scored 2 in 5 games - and one of those was an unlikely 30 yarder by Sears at Villa

Lambert and our style of play on 15:12 - Feb 5 with 3785 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert and our style of play on 11:12 - Feb 5 by SomethingBlue

Slightly, and it's a point I have wondered about — but, as others have said, the personnel just aren't good enough to do that. We look so flaky the moment we come under any serious pressure. Wednesday barely had a spell of that at all on Saturday but, whenever they came close to it, they ought to have scored.

Assuming the worst happens I think doing things the current way will, at least, have us in a very good place to hit the ground running next season.

If we go down with a record low of points, and barely win over the next 16 games - both of which are far from unlikely - will we be in a very good place to hit the ground running.

I'm not so sure personally - especially when you consider that we are playing a number of players who are very unlikely to be here next season, whereas those who are likely to be here are not playing.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert and our style of play on 15:14 - Feb 5 with 3771 viewsKieran_Knows

Lambert and our style of play on 15:12 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

If we go down with a record low of points, and barely win over the next 16 games - both of which are far from unlikely - will we be in a very good place to hit the ground running.

I'm not so sure personally - especially when you consider that we are playing a number of players who are very unlikely to be here next season, whereas those who are likely to be here are not playing.

I said earlier, and it's a very defeatist view, but if we're relegated 'early' - lets see mid-late April the way we're going - at least we know where we stand and what division we'll be in to start planning for signings etc (although I do appreciate it's something that we should be doing behind the scenes anyway).
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 15:15]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Lambert and our style of play on 15:34 - Feb 5 with 3714 viewsLeagueOne

He tried that Saturday in some ways, we were utterly toothless up top and going forward and were as bland as could be - a better defence would have won a point.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024